Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaining, Training, and Using Powerful Heroes

Default Gaining, Training, and Using Powerful Heroes

I did a quick search and didn't see any hero guides, so I figured I would share my methods. I hope this will help both the noob and the players that have been around for a while.

What's a Good Hero?
    Heroes come in five main varieties. Following are the five different kinds, what to look for in their stats, and a brief note. The stats are somewhat arbitrary, as any hero can fulfill any role with enough work. I'm merely listing what I look for.

Politics (Politics - Level > 64)
    This guy will be your mayor. He aids in resource production and building times.

Intelligence (Intelligence - Level > 64)
    This guy is to speed up research. He is pretty much useless after techs are maxed.

Attack (Attack - Level > 64)
    This guy is to speed up your troop production, and to attack with cataphracts and ranged units.

Defense (Attack + Intelligence - Level > 114)
    This hero is designed to turn swordsmen into absolute tanks, making the compact defense very hard to hurt. What you are looking for is a hero with 50 base intelligence and attack over 65.

Ram (Attack + Intelligence = as high as possible)
    This guy probably won't be used much, but if you ever get one, he can be used to really put the hurting on people with 100k battering rams. He also turns pikemen into absolute monsters when it comes to defense. They are almost as durable as swords, and much cheaper to maintain.

Finding Good Heroes
    Most people have heard of how to find good heroes. You can either demolish your inn and constantly rebuild it, or you can used the hire fire method. I use the hire fire method. Hire heroes until your feasting hall is full, then dismiss all the heroes that don't meet your standards.

Training Your Heroes
    In the beginning of the game, the best way to train heroes is to attack flats or NPCs with them. Use the appropriate troop combinations to win (http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?t=91602) and take your small amounts of experience. The specifics of valley attacks are a little beyond this guide, so refer to the previous link for ideas. When you have an established army and want to train more and more heroes quickly, move on to these methods.

Attack level 7 and 8 npcs with 100k warriors. You take massive losses but will pull in 300 and 600k experience respectively

Attack level 9 NPCs with 98k archers. When your technologies are maxed, your troops will win without hero bonuses. This is good for training your politics and intelligence heroes, but it is also good for getting your attack/defense heroes to 150-200 attack. Each attack will net you one million experience, so it is well worth your trouble if you can't hit level 10 NPCs.

Attack level 10 NPCs with 2k scouts, 2k warriors, 2k workers, and 92k archers. This is the best method I know of for hitting level 10s consistently. I have only tested this method with heroes as low as 150 attack, so go below that at your peril. With war horn, I have seen heroes as low as 130 attack win with small losses. And with war horn and war ensign with a similar setup, I have beat a level 10 with a 70 attack hero. With heroes under 210 attack, you will occasionally take larger losses (in the 15k+ range), but it is infrequent. This gains you 1.8 million experience, which is the most you will get outside of attacking players.

Spear a level 10 NPCs as above, and do follow up attacks with either the same hero or a weaker one every six minutes. Each follow up attack will gain at least 500k experience, which is healthy for an attack that can be repeated so often. The problem with this tactic is that it burns through a lot of troops. However, if you have the resources/spare troops, the experience you can gain for your heroes is limited only by the time you spend on them.

Using Your Heroes
    This is a no brainer for some hero types, but not all. Following are brief notes on how to utilize each hero.

Politics
    All stat points should go into politics. This hero will be your staple. Appoint him mayor and leave him there unless trying to train troops or research technologies.

Intelligence
    All stat points should go into intelligence. Appoint him mayor before researching a technology. Then research and appoint your politics hero mayor.

Attack
    All stat points should go into attack. Appoint him mayor before training troops. Then train troops and appoint your politics hero mayor again. When attacking a flat/NPC/player, use this hero to head your armies where your main damage dealers are ranged units or cataphracts. An archer attack usually looks something like this:

1k Workers
    1k Warriors
    1k Pikemen
    1k Swordsmen
    96k Archers

A cataphract attack (phractsmack) generally looks something like this:

5k Scouts
    5k Cavalry
    90k Cataphracts

Cataphracts gain no benefit from intelligence, and ranged units usually gain more benefit from attack than intelligence. While defense heroes can also perform these attacks, attack heroes are more streamlined for it. Since he will also likely be your strongest hero, do not send him on attacks you might not win.

Defense
    The defense hero is exactly what he sounds like, he is designed to defend your cities. Stat points should go into intelligence until your hero has at least 50, and the rest should go into attack. I like the compact defense, so he is even more important. My version of the defense looks something like this:

18.333k Archer Towers
    50k Warriors
    320-500k Pikemen
    50k Swordsmen
    150-300k Archers
    10-10k Cavalry
    10-10k Cataphracts
    2.5k Ballista
    10 Battering Rams
    10 Catapults

You can roughly swap the swordsmen and pikemen numbers if you choose (you will actually need more swordsmen, which is why I like pikemen). Since swordsmen have their health maxed out at 50 intelligence, this stat is very important. It will lower your losses per scout bomb to about 5k (while you will lose closer to 10k with pikemen), which makes this defense hard to hurt. All the nuances of using this defense are beyond this guide. I bring it up only to note that the troops taking the brunt of the damage in this defense make this particular hero very important. If you defend your cities with a million archers, this hero is irrelevant and you will be better served using a straight attack hero.

Ram
    This hero can be used exactly like the defense hero, and is particularly effective with pikemen. Stat points should go into intelligence until 163, and everything else should go into attack. Be careful not to put all your initial points into intelligence, as you will need him to be able to farm level 10 NPCs. As the name says, you can use him to give battering rams maximum life, making them very hard to kill. This is a project probably not worth the time of most players, but fun nonetheless.

That is all, any comments/questions are welcome.
    Last edited by RRRAAA; 04-08-2010 at 02:28 AM.

intel has no effect on troop strength its good for research thats all... also that city defense is useless as it is stupid u want less at's and 1k trap 1k abs 10 logs 10 trebs minimum for more lines also so stupid to have that large of an amount of pikeman absouloutely terrible my typical city could hold off 2-3 times as many troops with a 200 attack hero with its defense being 200k archers 150k warriors 10k pike 10k swords 1k rams 100 pults 4k balls (farming) 100-200 cav extra line on big hit move out till it is there and its that simple none of this stupid mixed hero's buisness it dosent work intel till research is done then straight attack. also to train u max hit 5's till 150 or so attack maybe 2 weeks work if u hit 5-6 a day with that hero then u hit 7's and 8's with 96k archer 2k war 2k trans till 180 attack. then u activate war horn and use same wave on 10's with constant 5-7k losses less resources than all that meat... there is so many flaws in wat u do ur running at 50% of wat u could do if u used everything wisely and set up wisely i hold my own against players 7-8 times my size easily and i even retaliate alot.

[ssfgrgawer]: i send transvestites, you never know what they will bring home, its useually diseses tho
    [guess_who]: those trannies are fairly strong though...
    S6/SS38 retired
    Self proclaimed trash talker and hitter ^_^ s6 boys ftw

Quote Originally Posted by guess_who View Post
    intel has no effect on troop strength its good for research thats all... also that city defense is useless as it is stupid u want less at's and 1k trap 1k abs 10 logs 10 trebs minimum for more lines also so stupid to have that large of an amount of pikeman absouloutely terrible my typical city could hold off 2-3 times as many troops with a 200 attack hero with its defense being 200k archers 150k warriors 10k pike 10k swords 1k rams 100 pults 4k balls (farming) 100-200 cav extra line on big hit move out till it is there and its that simple none of this stupid mixed hero's buisness it dosent work intel till research is done then straight attack. also to train u max hit 5's till 150 or so attack maybe 2 weeks work if u hit 5-6 a day with that hero then u hit 7's and 8's with 96k archer 2k war 2k trans till 180 attack. then u activate war horn and use same wave on 10's with constant 5-7k losses less resources than all that meat... there is so many flaws in wat u do ur running at 50% of wat u could do if u used everything wisely and set up wisely i hold my own against players 7-8 times my size easily and i even retaliate alot.
    You're obviously not familiar with the compact defense, what it does, and how it works. Also, level 9 NPCs are WAY more efficient to gain experience than level 5s. And why would I wait to attack level 10s with war horn and 180 attack if I can do it without and 150 attack? That just makes no sense. I get 200 attack heroes in far less than two weeks.

Nice guide bro
    +rep
    theres one thing i dont get though: intel affects life? i didnt know that. is there a formula to see how it works?
    thanks

also - can you elaborate on the ram? attack+intel= as high as possible; does that mean once its reached 163 intel you should only focus on attack, or keep upgrading intel?
    and what intel gives best life for pikemen?
    Last edited by thierryd; 04-05-2010 at 05:05 AM.
    Grey is prey, Red is dead.

Thanks to Tsubasa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    He is not picking his nose, his finger is clearly out of his nose. The pic is obviously the transition after he has picked his nose, but before the finger goes into his mouth. It's an action shot.

Yes.

http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?t=88258
    http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?t=84773

Quote Originally Posted by guess_who View Post
    Spot on my good man, spot on!!

Protect & Punish....At All Times

awesome.
    you learn something new everyday eh :P i was debating whether to dismiss my intel heroes or not.
    guess its good i didnt.
    Grey is prey, Red is dead.

Thanks to Tsubasa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    He is not picking his nose, his finger is clearly out of his nose. The pic is obviously the transition after he has picked his nose, but before the finger goes into his mouth. It's an action shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Spot on my good man, spot on!!
    Ehm no, he's wrong, dead wrong. So are you.

Great guide +1 rep. I already dismissed my intel heroes, but i might get funky and water my top guy sometime when i got 100k rams to try .

Quote Originally Posted by WarSimi View Post
    lmao I've never been a quote before . How precious !

Quote Originally Posted by thierryd View Post
    Nice guide bro
    +rep
    theres one thing i dont get though: intel affects life? i didnt know that. is there a formula to see how it works?
    thanks

also - can you elaborate on the ram? attack+intel= as high as possible; does that mean once its reached 163 intel you should only focus on attack, or keep upgrading intel?
    and what intel gives best life for pikemen?
    I'm sorry I didn't address the ram question. You want a hero with base attack and intelligence as high as possible. So my ram hero started with 69 attack and 67 intelligence at level 1. And yes you do not want the intelligence to go higher than 163, as that value caps the health on rams. A stock ram has 7.5k life, while an intelligence capped hero gives rams 15k life. Since attacking with rams will result in massive damage before it hits ranged units, you want its health to be as high as possible. Like I said, 100k rams is pretty rare... but if you're active and powerful enough to use this setup you will hurt people badly.

Pikemen are capped at 184 intelligence. Not really worth it to go that extra 21 levels. Also, the losses using a basic 50 intelligence hero aren't so great as to really worry about getting high intelligence to use them. Their limitations are always there (they can take less punishment than swords).
    Last edited by RRRAAA; 04-05-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Personally, I think that attack is going to have a much more significant outcome in battles that intelligence. So, I'd recommend looking for heroes with high base int+attack, but proceed to put points only into attack. (Although there are rare situations where int becomes more important than attack)

To give a simple example of how intelligence effects troop health:

Every 5 points in intelligence is equal (according to the forumla developed by birtles) to 1 point in iron working.

Or, 50 points in intelligence gives the same bonus to life, as iron working 10.

PS. Epic fail at guess_who and cuffs lmao
    Last edited by Naems; 04-05-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    http://capishcapish.webs.com/ForumSigs/Naems-2.gif
    Sig thanks to Ravenwings!
    Retired