Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballista farming NPCs = unbalanced game

Default Ballista farming NPCs = unbalanced game

I am probably going to flamed for stating this, but ballista farming NPC cities is ruining the game for me.

NPC cities are a limitless supply of resources, they respawn fast and you can even build your own npcs 1 mile from your own city. This unbalances the game by making the tax/production system not applicable. I effectively have infinite resources & gold. It also removes city troop limits by making food upkeep meaningless. I have 50-100M food on a city, so it really doesn't matter how much they eat.

Problem:

Ballistas are immune to most wall fortifications: traps, logs, rocks(don't enter range), abattis and can out-range towers. In typical npc city fights, the defending armies approach the attacking ballista one at a time and the ballista have enough time to take out each group as it approaches, then finish off the wall for a no losses victory.

Solution:

You don't have to nerf ballistas, or npc cities. Just fix the combat tactics to add a little more realism.

1.) Armies defending a city with open gates should wait at their wall until the enemy has entered attack range (the range when any offensive/defensive unit can attack). When it comes time to charge ranged attackers such as ballistas, all armies would move out at the same time and overwhelm the ballistas ability to defend themselves unless they are protected by other support troops.

2.) Armies that are attacking a city should stay together and approach at the lowest speed. Do not charge until entering attack range (the range when any offensive/defensive unit can attack). This gives them a better chance at rushing a wall or ranged defender, and prevents them from just getting picked off one at a time.

I think this would add realism to battles and would encourage a wider variety of units. Farming NPCs is still possible, but will come with some losses.

Thumbs up

I totally agree with you that they have to do something with the NPC farming. Other options than what you've suggested would be to lower resources, make the respawn slower like once a day type of thing as well as stopping the "abandon village to turn it into a NPC village" trick.

I've posted about this before, and that time the post was deleted, I hope that does not happen to your post and that the game dev's actually do something about it, and do it soon.

Actually I think what they should do is add an npc only fortification for anti-ballista.
    Or research that increases archer towers range for anti-ballista also npc only.

What I'm worried about is them fixing it the way they "fixed" medal farming.

I'd rather them work on game stopping issues like lag and crashes than NPC farming.
    Adria
    Vice Host of GODZ

http://godz.freeforums.org/

This is a big issue though, when farming NPCs like this is possible it messes up the whole economy and make resource production worthless. I haven't built any resources in my last 3 villages, as it's a waste of time the way the game is now.

I actually wouldn't mind if they changed it the way they did with medals, and make them way harder to attack or put way less resources in them, it's better than the way it is now at least.

they need to give them some warehouses or something

they dont need to change it...
    http://pemempire.**********.com/
    Click it add people to my city please!

Quote Originally Posted by GuGGiTz View Post
    they need to give them some warehouses or something
    That would do nothing. I think the NPC's are meant for gaining resources... just not farmed like this.

It is true though that this game is being wrecked by them. On server 5 a player who got ballistas before me was able to start farming and mass producing archers. Thus being able to get ahead of me and kill me. In a matter of a day. destroying all game fairness.

If they don't everyone can just sit around with 500k archers and 500 million food in each village, and noone can attack each other. I don't need to attack any other players now for resources, cause the NPCs are so much better. My village being minus 5 or 10 million food/hour ain't a problem.

This makes the game pretty boring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwind View Post
    If they don't everyone can just sit around with 500k archers and 500 million food in each village, and noone can attack each other. I don't need to attack any other players now for resources, cause the NPCs are so much better. My village being minus 5 or 10 million food/hour ain't a problem.

This makes the game pretty boring after a while.
    100% true.. I'm sitting here with ton's of troops burning food like no tomorrow, and no one can attack me because I am so heavily defended even if they did they would lose.
    What makes it even more impossible is when research's get to all 10's. Only a matching army could defeat you.

I'm getting so bored I'm about to go pay for runescape members because that would interest me more that this right now.