Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Hellfire's (Advance?) Combat Guide

Also remember, range target the fastest unit first (after opposing range is dead), so I believe on occation, you will see transport losses while rams still live. Which confuses folks. Much like scouts layer for cavs against range.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadan View Post
    once again another insightful comment that makes me go
    the worst part is i knew melee target them over ATs and should have realized thats what they thought was "proof"

thanks again and +1 for once again being so helpful

edit: damn, cant give you rep i gotta "spread it around"

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire566 View Post
    They do move on attack, after everything else is dead, on defense they never move.

So 100k transport attack can win, they'll charge, kill things and take down the walls. (Some examples of folks posting them in the war reports)
    Scouts will do the same, except take down the wall, as they nerf-ed that ages ago.
    http://ww.evonyurl.com/yg6a0v
    Tp's do not follow the same rules as scouts on defense, as this report clearly shows transporters do fight and kill units on defense whereas scouts do not.

This does not prove whether or not transporters move on defense, but my assumption would be that they do not... though scouts won't even fight on defense, transporters will.

For those that don't know how to read the battle report:
    Round 1 Acav to 0, phract to 375, defenders sit. AT/archer kill scout/archer, Acav oneshot the defending archers. Tp's swing and kill 4 cav
    Round 2 Aphract to 0, Acav clear AT, Aphract clear transporters, AT get no swing b/c they are dead, Tp's kill 4 cav on parting blow
    Round 3 Acav clear wall durability

Defenders transporters are the only explanation for me taking losses here. As an aside this was a long time ago, I'm well aware at how noobish this report makes me look in terms of overkill =)
    Last edited by supbates; 10-05-2010 at 01:34 AM.
    s166 SupBates Alliance X

scouts and transports follow the same rules on defence - they don't move but will attack anything that comes into their range, as the cav did in your report.

Quote Originally Posted by supbates View Post
    Tp's do not follow the same rules as scouts on defense, as this report clearly shows transporters do fight and kill units on defense whereas scouts do not.
    Scouts and carts do follow the same rules on defense in that they never move and they will both swing if something get's within their range.

For example, 1 pike versus 100 scouts in Exersize shows that scouts swing on defense.

Edit: oops, yea what Gringo said
    Last edited by dxter; 10-05-2010 at 05:57 AM.

without mechs present cavs make it to point 0 in R1
    this is how you can smack the archers in bad reinf after you take out a city

what happened there was the cavs made it all the way to the other side, so as others have said the cavs were close enough for the transporters to hit them
    had there been scouts, the scouts would have fought as well

edit: cavs only make it across assuming theres also no t/a/d or d.cavs

Quote Originally Posted by dxter View Post
    Scouts and carts do follow the same rules on defense in that they never move and they will both swing if something get's within their range.

For example, 1 pike versus 100 scouts in Exersize shows that scouts swing on defense.

Edit: oops, yea what Gringo said
    doh!

http://ww.evonyurl.com/48l07j

sometimes I'm dumb
    s166 SupBates Alliance X

nice guide i learnt alot from reading it took a long time but well worth it

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire566 View Post
    G) Compact Defense :
    (Not as clean or as coherent as I would like, I'll try to fix it later, more of random musings)

I. The Compact Defense (CD) is already well document elsewhere, plenty of screen shots of folks using it to murder millions of attacking troops. My personal opinion, it is probably the best off-line defense there is. But remember, this is a big game of paper-rock-scissors . CD, is strong against range, weak(er) against foot and hoof. But as most folks are archer heavy, you reduced the effectiveness of vast portion of their standard army.
    Want to know, what troops are usally seen in a CD? ATs? Swordsman?

I guess suspending me for a day changed me...NOT

Ardee, you will be missed.