Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Note on Freedom of Speech

Default A Note on Freedom of Speech

Quote Originally Posted by The First Amendment to the US Constitution
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    The relevant words here are Congress shall make no law...

This means that everything which follows does not apply to Evony or any private website. We're not congress. We're not the government. The first amendment does not give you the right to say whatever you want here.

Those who want to post here are free to post on a wide range of topics, but make no mistake: we make the rules, and if you want to post here, you must follow them. This means that some topics are off limits and you can't say everything you might like. If this bothers you, feel free to call your congressman (he'll tell you the same thing).

Please make sure to brush up on the forum rules before posting.

That said, we're a fun and exciting group of people to hang with and we'd love for you to join in on the discussion. We have a great community who is very smart, helpful, friendly and witty and they'd love for you to join them, so please dive right in!

But if a mod tells you that you've broken the rules, don't pull out the freedom of speech line. There is no freedom of speech on this site.
    Legendary Hero

um ok i never used that or heard about people using it but i guess your right dawnseeker

As I understand it Thalin Athasian was from Oz... so maybe this explains your freedom of speech, or lack of policy here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10568361.stm

Just because it is policy never means it is always 100% right, even when used in a democratic country, or say... an internet forum.

But, I see why you may censor some things, like hate, spam, and such; then again it is always open to abuse and has been here in the past here.

Edit: So dry humour doesnt work in a text based fashion? You'd think it would the only humour that could possibly work! I can see Julia Gillard playing this now, 10k archers in each city and she'll double the nations army - talk about a power trip for her.
    Last edited by CraigMac; 07-11-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxyBunny View Post
    One complaint post per customer please.

Not to nitpick, but an internet filter in Australia has absolutely no bearing on the way we conduct our website. If they want to block us, they can, though I'm sure they would not. Too many high-ranking members of Australian Parliament play Evony.
    Legendary Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    Not to nitpick, but an internet filter in Australia has absolutely no bearing on the way we conduct our website. If they want to block us, they can, though I'm sure they would not. Too many high-ranking members of Australian Parliament play Evony.
    Haha good 1 high 5

One of the many great books that they will stop writing when a new form of government comes along that immediately contradicts itself after the statement it makes due to abunch of rabble rousing people who all have something to say while it is being written.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    and you know this how?

im pretty sure they dont tell you mate

for all you know i could be prince harry
    Last edited by powerwolf; 07-10-2010 at 05:34 PM.
    AS YOU CAN SEE MISS KITTI IS SAFE[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Walters View Post
    Ahh Bugger it I Nuke America Cos hey someone's gotta do the world that favour!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWorth View Post
    looks at powerwolf still hugging the bar chair, shakes my head

Building a religion... a limited edition...

Quote Originally Posted by powerwolf View Post
    and you know this how?

im pretty sure they dont tell you mate

for all you know i could be prince harry
    Considering that Thalin is an Aussie himself, I doubt they'd block Evony.

All around me are familiar faces
    worn out places, worn out faces
    Bright and early for the daily races
    Going nowhere, going nowhere
    Current Sig Song

Quote Originally Posted by Revoltion
    Acer is the Varys of Evony.

Quote Originally Posted by acer5200 View Post
    Considering that Thalin is an Aussie himself, I doubt they'd block Evony.
    still does not mean that they wont block evony does it...

but also thats a good point but how does he know the goverment play it im pretty sure they dont tell him

as all goverments like to keep everything secret from people like us in these nice forums......
    AS YOU CAN SEE MISS KITTI IS SAFE[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Walters View Post
    Ahh Bugger it I Nuke America Cos hey someone's gotta do the world that favour!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWorth View Post
    looks at powerwolf still hugging the bar chair, shakes my head

Default Re:Freedom of Speech

I often read threads but until now have never commented.

It can easily be seen through United States Supreme Court rulings that Freedom of Speech does not allow for people to say or do whatever they want. Such as child ****ography. However the stated message of Evony staff regarding the United States Constitution couldn't be any more false. The United States Constitution first of all is to be taken in whole text and not certain pieces that one thinks justifies their argument. Secondly, there are numerous Supreme Court Rulings that clearly explain that the First Amendment is not limited to Congress. Also in the rulings it is clearly explains that no person or group of persons may take away ones right to free speech. Most importantly the United States Supreme Court is the deciding authority on the United States Constitution.