Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 194

Thread: A Note on Freedom of Speech

  1. #111

    Default Interesting thought

    I beg to differ with you on the point of the first ten and the rest for that matter. All states ratified or at least 75% of all the states ratify amendments thereby accepting them and adhering to them. No state can have laws countermanding or disregarding Federal laws...same as no county can countermand its state laws. I believe...lol

  2. #112

    Default

    In this game, Freedom of speech...Is a matter of Evony, banning one from the forums

  3. #113

    Default

    LMAO... I really enjoyed reading this thread. It gave me some laughs.

    This is the internet. There is no freedom of speech, only the rules put down by the owner of a site. The ability to "speak" can be taken away at any time because again, this is not a country with laws regarding freedom of speech, it is a forum on the Internet and the owners have the right to ban you for misbehavior or disable certain abilities or access to certain categories without consequence.

    But thanks for the laughs.
    Last edited by Roisina; 09-23-2010 at 01:01 PM.

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Your backyard...
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arsmiley36 View Post
    Simply put, it is okay to speak freely. It is not okay to speak in a manner that may be offensive to someone else.
    Sorry man, you're wrong. Constitution, Magna Carta, etc. do not limit what I can or cannot say based on whether or not it might offend you. I do not have the right to discriminate against you because you are an idiot, but I do have the right to say you are, in my opinion, an idiot. You do NOT have the right to NOT be offended. And, you do NOT have the right to LIMIT what I say because you are offended. You DO however, have the right to limit me if what I say or do is discriminatory. You also have the right to hold me responsible (libel) if what I say is proven to be untrue and damaging in some way.

    But, as Dawnseeker and many others have said, this forum is a service provided by a private entity at their own expense. They may deny you the service for any reason or none at all. They aren't limiting your speech, they're just saying you can't use their service to say it. It's sort of like protestors can stand on public property and say what they want and I have no right to do anything about that, but if they stand on MY property, I can have them removed. I do not need to provide them the right to that service (a place to stand).

  5. #115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    Sorry man, you're wrong. Constitution, Magna Carta, etc. do not limit what I can or cannot say based on whether or not it might offend you. I do not have the right to discriminate against you because you are an idiot, but I do have the right to say you are, in my opinion, an idiot. You do NOT have the right to NOT be offended. And, you do NOT have the right to LIMIT what I say because you are offended. You DO however, have the right to limit me if what I say or do is discriminatory. You also have the right to hold me responsible (libel) if what I say is proven to be untrue and damaging in some way.

    But, as Dawnseeker and many others have said, this forum is a service provided by a private entity at their own expense. They may deny you the service for any reason or none at all. They aren't limiting your speech, they're just saying you can't use their service to say it. It's sort of like protestors can stand on public property and say what they want and I have no right to do anything about that, but if they stand on MY property, I can have them removed. I do not need to provide them the right to that service (a place to stand).
    Which is exactly why we as users of the game need to concentrate on taking our complaints and frustrations to a truly public area where we are welcome to exercise our civil liberties. I have also been reprimanded for exercising my "free speech" in the Evony forum. Mine was more of a personal attack and complaint about the inner-workings of Evony, to which I was told to stop speaking against certain people and areas of the Evony team. I was even reprimanded 2 points for the "infraction" of voicing myself against the Forum Moderator.
    Well, here I go again, speaking freely...I better stop before I receive another infraction for freely asserting my thoughts and opinions.
    But please, as they have said, just leave all the offensive talk and complaints out of the Evony forum. It is reserved for positive messages and worship to those in office of the Evony Forums and development team....not the other way around.


    Weird how there is a section in the Evony forum for users to post their comments and concerns, and to report game issues...which means that they are welcoming us to speak freely....but they can't handle criticism.

  6. #116

    Default

    If we were having this conversation 18 months ago I would have agreed with you completely. Since Civony and then for a long time Evony customer service was notoriously poor, so much so as to be considered a running joke by its more active users. With that being said I like to think Evony has come a long way since that time (This thread or anything like it would never have been allowed before), now we at least get heard sometimes. Evony age2 has a lot to do with this, it failed horribly compared to what Evony expected and I think now they are trying to evaluate that mistake and listen to their customers, which is always a good thing. Evony have made huge improvements to their customer service in general and now actively encourage discussion about the good and bad points of Evony.

    In regard to the personal attacks being considered infraction worthy... This issue is something I have personally fallen foul of and my opinion is the same as yours, if somebody says something completely idiotic and you call them an idiot thats fine in my book. However Evony do not see it that way, we are supposed to calmly explain that what they have posted is incorrect and then take the time to explain to them what would be correct. I find it fairly inconsequential either way but they are technically the rules so technically your infraction was deserved and so was mine.

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    World of Evony to my wifes dismay ;)
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JesseMontague View Post
    Which is exactly why we as users of the game need to concentrate on taking our complaints and frustrations to a truly public area where we are welcome to exercise our civil liberties. I have also been reprimanded for exercising my "free speech" in the Evony forum. Mine was more of a personal attack and complaint about the inner-workings of Evony, to which I was told to stop speaking against certain people and areas of the Evony team. I was even reprimanded 2 points for the "infraction" of voicing myself against the Forum Moderator.
    Well, here I go again, speaking freely...I better stop before I receive another infraction for freely asserting my thoughts and opinions.
    But please, as they have said, just leave all the offensive talk and complaints out of the Evony forum. It is reserved for positive messages and worship to those in office of the Evony Forums and development team....not the other way around.


    Weird how there is a section in the Evony forum for users to post their comments and concerns, and to report game issues...which means that they are welcoming us to speak freely....but they can't handle criticism.

    There is a difference in attacking and being constructive.... I myself have voiced my displeasure on some issues. The problem is when you just attack you offer no insight on how a situation may be resolved and it is hard to talk out a problem with you if you are in attack mode. The best way to do this is to think about what the problem is and how you suggest it be fixed.

    No one is asking for your worship and adoration. There have been many suggestions made by forum members already put into game play. All suggestions are not taken but some are.

    I have to abide by the very same rules as you do. I have recieved warnings from mods in the past *points to Ghost* I respected and understood they have rules to enforce here. I have kids and would not want them to see and hear some of the stuff that would be posted on the forums if not for the Mods making sure members adhere to the rules here.





    Quote Originally Posted by Anaerion View Post
    If we were having this conversation 18 months ago I would have agreed with you completely. Since Civony and then for a long time Evony customer service was notoriously poor, so much so as to be considered a running joke by its more active users. With that being said I like to think Evony has come a long way since that time (This thread or anything like it would never have been allowed before), now we at least get heard sometimes. Evony age2 has a lot to do with this, it failed horribly compared to what Evony expected and I think now they are trying to evaluate that mistake and listen to their customers, which is always a good thing. Evony have made huge improvements to their customer service in general and now actively encourage discussion about the good and bad points of Evony.

    In regard to the personal attacks being considered infraction worthy... This issue is something I have personally fallen foul of and my opinion is the same as yours, if somebody says something completely idiotic and you call them an idiot thats fine in my book. However Evony do not see it that way, we are supposed to calmly explain that what they have posted is incorrect and then take the time to explain to them what would be correct. I find it fairly inconsequential either way but they are technically the rules so technically your infraction was deserved and so was mine.
    +Rep to you I wish more got the bigger picture and took the time to look at both sides of the picture. I can understand you loosing your cool at times also.
    Last edited by Sturm; 09-23-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Show Your Artistic Side Place Your Entry In The SOTW
    Quote Originally Posted by AbstractAngel View Post
    He's cutting edge and daring in his artwork, but don't think he won't outmaneuver you on the battlefield. This is an ex-mod who takes no prisoners in a battle of wits or brawn. Fear your master, Sturm!

  8. #118

    Default

    your allowed to critisize. as long as it is constructive

  9. #119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrenb209 View Post
    your allowed to critisize. as long as it is constructive
    ^^ Exactly!


    I criticize Evony all the time. People don't get infracted for critiquing Evony. people get infracted for HOW they crticize Evony. If you lay out a calm, logical argument, you won't be infracted. If you charge into the forums with flames and vulgarity, you'll see an infraction and probably a suspension.

    That being said...
    Even if your post is calm, cool, and collected, you may still be infracted. If your post is a repeat of a bunch of other active threads or breaks other rules, then you might get infracted. but, I highly doubt a suspension. Just look around before you make a new thread, and you can avoid this pitfall. It's easy enough to add your points to an already active thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzzzzzzzalicious! View Post
    i started to read this and agree with everything rota says. if people just listened to him the forums would be a better place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    Rota is correct.

    I don't even understand the question.

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    (---,---)
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Agreed.


    -Twistah-

    SS38 - Proud Member of KOTW1 -1.5 Mil Prestige
    S140 - Proud Member of HERA - 75K Prestige

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •