Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: A Note on Freedom of Speech

Tough to argue with that point, Mog.
    "You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment." -Francis Urquhart

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/...ivate_property

it is very true we do have right to voice opinions as stated in that article

it basically say's if you make you property public every one has there right to speak on their own base's if you withhold us from using are right's you be telling us to not abide bye are first amendment.
    Evony isn't a public service. It's a private company. Your access to these forums isn't a government right, it's a privilege for customers of Evony. As such, that privilege can be taken away if you do not abide by the rules you agreed to upon choosing to participate on the forums.
    It's all Rodri's fault.

I just wanted to stop in and say this is a terrible thread and that trying to argue that you can say whatever you want in the forums is your right is just plain stupid.
    Please feel free to "Red Rep" me, I wants it!
    EPIC FIRETRUCKIN PHAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by Alusair View Post
    Evony isn't a public service. It's a private company. Your access to these forums isn't a government right, it's a privilege for customers of Evony. As such, that privilege can be taken away if you do not abide by the rules you agreed to upon choosing to participate on the forums.
    This is true but to just let you know the freedom of speech is not a "Government Right" The Government can not lawfully take it away. It is an inalienable right. It is a right of the people.

At least in the United States.
    http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx292/morgana5/Forum%20Sigs/Mog.png
    CRISIS
    Server N32 Arbalest

If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.

Quote Originally Posted by Moghedien View Post
    This is true but to just let you know the freedom of speech is not a "Government Right" The Government can not lawfully take it away. It is an inalienable right. It is a right of the people.

Actually freedom of speech is a governed right. If it was an inalienable right then it would not have been added to the constitution.
    Last edited by Pringlescan; 12-16-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    Pringles - GetBent 129/ss61(retired)
    Pringles - Survivor 200(active)

Quote Originally Posted by Moghedien View Post

Freedom of Speech also has limitations. For instance, you're not allowed to violate the rights of others, specifically the right of privacy. It also usually limits hate speech, slander, illegal discussion, or so forth.

Private businesses or properties have a right to establish the ToS required to visit or use their services. Because they are not government establishments, they can set their rules to their discretion. If you do not like this, no one forces you to go to these places; leave and don't return.

Too many people these days seem to think the "Freedom of Speech" is another way of saying "I can say whatever I want, where ever I want, whenever I want, however I want, and it's inhumane to expect me to pay any consequences or be held accountable for my choices". That is simply not the case, and has never intended to be.
    It's all Rodri's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Pringlescan View Post
    Actually freedom of speech is a governed right. If it was an inalienable right then it would not have been added to the constitution.
    U.S. Constitution was created to protect the people from the Government. And it clearly states that it is an inalienable right.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former systems of government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.
    CRISIS
    Server N32 Arbalest

The "inalienable rights" are mentioned in the Declaration of Independence. Their existence is presumed to be self-evident. The freedom of speech is right up there with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (as it is a subset of 'liberty').

The first Amendment to the Constitution of the United States is the portion of these documents that explicitly guarantees the right to free speech, and it has since been deemed by the courts to extend to encompass the full range of human expression.

Now, having deemed free expression to be an inalienable right (by extension), we must also grant the operators if any private Internet site the right to regulate their own premeses as they desire -- with certain clearly-defined exceptions. They know these exceptions full well, and they stay within the bounds of ethics and the laws of humanity as far as I can tell.

So... yeah. Any questions?
    "You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment." -Francis Urquhart

I missed the part about freedom of speech being an unalienable right. What was the evidence for that?

I'm heartily amused by the idea that US Americans, by virtue of their bill of rights, have the authority to post any old nonsense on the forums. Is the suggestion that we need to identify the locations of every forum member and differentially moderate them according to their country's constitutional interpretation of free speech privilege? Or just that the rules which everyone agreed to when setting up their account shouldn't apply to US Americans only?

The declaration of independence is part of the US constitution. I was not debating the right to post on a private forum. I was replying to pringlescan. Boleslav you clearly misinterpreted what i was saying. I am not ignorant at the fact that there is limits to freedom of speech especially on private places. For example evony has the ability to ban or delete any post they want. They have control.

Bole if you take out of the equation public and private property and just look at International law.

Articles 18 and 19 of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights clearly give all people the rights to free speech so it doesnt matter where you are in the world. Of course there is no wieght behind the Declaration of Human Rights.
    Last edited by Moghedien; 12-19-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    CRISIS
    Server N32 Arbalest