Thread: Compact D best numbers

Default Compact D best numbers

Ok so at this stage of the game, I am beginning to warm to the compact D, I had stuck with a basic 5k defense of 5k trap 1k abatis 15k ats with

300k warriors
    100k archer
    10k pike sword worker

I have getting tired of spam however and once the traps are down the city is toast.

So what are the best actuall numbers for a compact d?

currently I have in the one city that i think is compact d

full wall ats 18k
    500k sword
    1.4 mill warriors
    250k archers
    150k pike
    50k worker
    20k cav
    10k cata
    20k ballista
    10k catapult
    5k ram

any changes i should make?? anyway to reduce those numbers and have it still effective as thats a pretty large food bill

Quote Originally Posted by Olric View Post
    any changes i should make?? anyway to reduce those numbers and have it still effective as thats a pretty large food bill
    You really only need 2.4 warriors for every 1 archer, but warriors don't really eat that much so it won't make a huge diff on your food bill. Also, you only need 1.2 swords for every archer, but since swords are such a vital part of good compact defense, I wouldn't get rid of any of those if I were you.

If it was up to me (and this is strictly a matter of opinion), I'd cut down the number of pikes, as they're not nearly so useful as your swords and warriors...unless you have a super high intel attack hero. But I'm assuming that if you're asking this question you probably don't.

Also, unless you're using your workers for npc 10 farming, I'd probably get rid of those too. They're basically worthless, imo.

Finally, if you're really desperate for food and have no other choice, maybe get rid of the phracts and cavs (though it pains me to say it). There's not really enough of them to do you too much good, and they do tend to be hungry little buggers. But if it was up to me, I'd scrounge around and find a way to make it work...I do so love my ponies (and find it rather difficult to play offensively without them).

convert your warriors into swordsmen... 50 defense warrior versus 250 defense swordsman... 5 warriors eat 5 food... 1 swordsman eats 3 food...

so for the same food cost you will get a higher defensive value... granted you give some up on the offense side of it, but your swordsman would have been chewed up before your warriors reached the range anyhow right, so they were just a backup plan...

1,400,000 warriors = 70,000,000 defense at 1,400,000 food an hour
    466,666 swords = 116,666,500 defense at 1,400,000 food an hour

P.S. don't listen to people when they say "you only need 2.4 or 1.2" these are people who don't seem to understand, you will get more than 1 attack... and after that 1 attack the entire defense is ruined since you won't have 2.4 or 1.2 anymore...
    Last edited by DrPepper; 07-01-2010 at 01:29 PM.

What do pikes and intel hero's have to do with eachother? This comment threw me for a loop. How does having a high intel hero help your pikes?

Lord Phoenix: http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?...ght=high+intel
    Read that.

DrPepper: Defense in itself is a meaningless stat. Run those numbers using effective life instead of defense. Then it becomes something you can base things off.
    Also, the 'only' needing a certain ratio is a minimum to have your archers be safe from being hit by certain attacks. Obviously these will hit swords and/or wars instead, which will whittle ratios down. Hence employing a certain margin for safety. How much? Just as much as you think you'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPepper View Post
    P.S. don't listen to people when they say "you only need 2.4 or 1.2" these are people who don't seem to understand, you will get more than 1 attack... and after that 1 attack the entire defense is ruined since you won't have 2.4 or 1.2 anymore...
    Perhaps you missed the part where he asked if there was ANY way to reduce the numbers and still have it be effective?

In compact defense, generally the attacker's troops will be targeting the ATs as well as small amounts of other troops. It will take a number of attacks before the attacker does enough damage to even reach the swords or warriors, as they will have to get through the cavs, phracts, and pikes first. Not to mention the fact that if he keeps swords AND warriors, as opposed to just swords like you suggest, the attacks will alternate targeting between these two before hitting the archers. Once they do hit the archers, the archers' attack value will be reduced as well, and then the attackers go back to targeting the swords and/or warriors. Hence, the entire defense is NOT ruined, just proportionately reduced. AND, when you take into account the number of ballies and pults he has, losing a few archers every couple of waves isn't going to hurt him nearly as much as you're thinking it will. The whole point of compact defense is to withstand huge numbers of attacks with correspondingly few losses. OF COURSE I understand there will be more than one attack. I just also understand that compact defense will not crumble after two or three attacks...unless they are huge, well-formed mech attacks -- in which case, if you're not online, you're screwed anyway, lol.

This is slightly off the topic, but still applicable to compact defense. If you really want to do the enemy some damage while only defending, build up your scouts and have your alliance reinforce you with even more scouts. You would be amazed how many people will attack without being able to get a scout report. It's the funniest thing ever to watch rainbowed phract and archer waves targeting scouts and barely scratching them. However, this tactic is most useful if you've just teleported into enemy territory, when you can't move troops out of your city....it won't really happen in a compact defense city on your home turf.

Quote Originally Posted by cushseth View Post
    I hope with all my heart you are not stupid enough to believe the nonsense your spewing with your fingertips via keyboard.
    I tell people they do well when they do well. It's not my fault people are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MiraLicious View Post
    Perhaps you missed the part where he asked if there was ANY way to reduce the numbers and still have it be effective?

In compact defense, generally the attacker's troops will be targeting the ATs as well as small amounts of other troops. It will take a number of attacks before the attacker does enough damage to even reach the swords or warriors, as they will have to get through the cavs, phracts, and pikes first. Not to mention the fact that if he keeps swords AND warriors, as opposed to just swords like you suggest, the attacks will alternate targeting between these two before hitting the archers. Once they do hit the archers, the archers' attack value will be reduced as well, and then the attackers go back to targeting the swords and/or warriors. Hence, the entire defense is NOT ruined, just proportionately reduced. AND, when you take into account the number of ballies and pults he has, losing a few archers every couple of waves isn't going to hurt him nearly as much as you're thinking it will. The whole point of compact defense is to withstand huge numbers of attacks with correspondingly few losses. OF COURSE I understand there will be more than one attack. I just also understand that compact defense will not crumble after two or three attacks...unless they are huge, well-formed mech attacks -- in which case, if you're not online, you're screwed anyway, lol.

This is slightly off the topic, but still applicable to compact defense. If you really want to do the enemy some damage while only defending, build up your scouts and have your alliance reinforce you with even more scouts. You would be amazed how many people will attack without being able to get a scout report. It's the funniest thing ever to watch rainbowed phract and archer waves targeting scouts and barely scratching them. However, this tactic is most useful if you've just teleported into enemy territory, when you can't move troops out of your city....it won't really happen in a compact defense city on your home turf.
    you talk too much
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwings View Post
    They have us injected with a glowy, spotty, multi-colored, unidentifiable substance once in a while (against our will most of the time)...

Quote Originally Posted by Yohoseph View Post
    you talk too much

I hope with all my heart you are not stupid enough to believe the nonsense your spewing with your fingertips via keyboard.
    I tell people they do well when they do well. It's not my fault people are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPepper View Post
    convert your warriors into swordsmen... 50 defense warrior versus 250 defense swordsman... 5 warriors eat 5 food... 1 swordsman eats 3 food...

1,400,000 warriors = 70,000,000 defense at 1,400,000 food an hour
    466,666 swords = 116,666,500 defense at 1,400,000 food an hour
    Strange, my war's eat 1 food an hour....