Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: No more farming for food

Default A maximum limit on units garrisoned makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Chad View Post
    if you cap armies all you will have is hundred of cities with exactly the same armies. Alliances become useless, there is no more gameplay, etc.
    Hmm ... most alliance attacks I know include more than one player in the attack (at least in the well-organized ones). So how do you arrive at the conclusion that capping armies garrisoned in a single city at a maximum size makes alliances useless?

Personally, I see a maximum number of units per city to be historically pretty accurate. And a limit on troops would eliminate the need for intense farming by one city. It would also make game play more realistic and balanced if it takes more than one city's armies to conquer another comparably fortified and defended city.

Eventually, I could see where a limit on the maximum number of troops in a single city would allow the developers to seriously look at reducing the amount of food consumed by troops. Because there is no way to maintain balanced game play and reduce the amount of food troops consume without some kind of troop limit in place (IMO).

People already maintain insane sizes of armies in a single city because they can farm enough in a day to barely support those armies.

I don't normally believe in the idea of "silver bullets" when it comes to solving problems. But a maximum to the number of troops a single city can garrison seems to me as close as one can get to a "silver bullet" solution to farming.

As well as some other known issues that even Evony's marketing department has recognized ... ;-)

If you capped the # of troops in a single city to less than 1 mil then it would make your lvl 10 rally spot not near as effective............how would you send 10 100k waves at people? also if you made the limit over 1 mil you would still have a big upkeep..................the only way to reduce farming is what they have done in age 2 reduce upkeep and not allow npcs (sept for the original ones) to be built and stay............................if you only reduce the upkeep, that will only result in even bigger armies by a huge margin
    Quote Originally Posted by acer5200 View Post
    And yes, I'm a beautiful pink princessFeel free to quote me on that like I know you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by teatotal View Post
    you should always believe me im a man and as a man i can not lie its actualy impossible ....

rally spot can be changed to work the amount of troops u can have in 1 city.. lvl 1 u can dispatch 10k troops and only 1 wave.. as to lvl 10 u can dispatch 100k and 10 waves, well it can be that PLUS making you ONLY be able to have .. say lvl 5 rally, then only 50k troops can be in that city, however if ppl reinforce you, then it could be much bigger, but it still makes u only available to have a certain amount of troops per city.. 100k being the most, and well, also eliminate troop negative production of food, but make wat i said earlier, recruitment, only for 1 week or 1 month, costing more gold
    Peace-War

If i helped in any way, give me rep and leave comment if u want

Quote Originally Posted by Moravia Server 3 View Post
    rally spot can be changed to work the amount of troops u can have in 1 city.. lvl 1 u can dispatch 10k troops and only 1 wave.. as to lvl 10 u can dispatch 100k and 10 waves, well it can be that PLUS making you ONLY be able to have .. say lvl 5 rally, then only 50k troops can be in that city, however if ppl reinforce you, then it could be much bigger, but it still makes u only available to have a certain amount of troops per city.. 100k being the most, and well, also eliminate troop negative production of food, but make wat i said earlier, recruitment, only for 1 week or 1 month, costing more gold
    i dont see how this would work.....................you typically need to attack with more troops than are defending........if you both have 100k in your city you cant attack them...............well i guess if you had many city there in the vasinity, but then you would get bored with all your cities within 20 miles of each other............................pls explain further
    And yes, I'm a beautiful pink princessFeel free to quote me on that like I know you will.
    you should always believe me im a man and as a man i can not lie its actualy impossible ....

dang true didnt think of that..

well the solution could be... ummm... ummmmmm...

f.....

what abt if the NPC food can be changed...

npc lvl-food
    1-100k
    2-200k
    3-300k
    4-400k
    5-500k
    6-600k
    7-700k
    8-800k
    9-900k
    10-1M

and forget abt what i said abt the rally spot thing.. this would make people not make as many troops cuz they cannot feed em... now u would say " well ppl would just make more NPC's" id say thats not the case... how many people are gonna farm 6 NPC 5s for what used to be 1 lvl 5 NPC farm's worth?

and i doubt people would farm 10s... too much loss for such a little amount of food.. so this would definately lower troop counts

then again, it would be good if u have to recruit the troops for 1 week or 1 month for gold... this is the best idea so far for me..
    Peace-War

If i helped in any way, give me rep and leave comment if u want

i like this idea better than your last lol well done

Quote Originally Posted by BertandErine View Post
    If you capped the # of troops in a single city to less than 1 mil then it would make your lvl 10 rally spot not near as effective............how would you send 10 100k waves at people? also if you made the limit over 1 mil you would still have a big upkeep..................the only way to reduce farming is what they have done in age 2 reduce upkeep and not allow npcs (sept for the original ones) to be built and stay............................if you only reduce the upkeep, that will only result in even bigger armies by a huge margin
    I was actually thinking that the rally spot would be a good indicator for setting the limit. I was thinking 10x125000 for attack plus 1x125000 for a defensive force. Lower level rally spots would reduce your upper limit.

Add in garrisons within your embassy of 10x125000 and you're looking at a city maximum of 2.625mil overall with a maximum build capacity of 1.375mil from your barracks. And that's only if you get maximum reinforcing from your alliance.

Under a war of attrition, any city could eventually be taken. But only by an alliance of cities ... and not one city stuffed to the brim with troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Kendrick View Post
    I was actually thinking that the rally spot would be a good indicator for setting the limit. I was thinking 10x125000 for attack plus 1x125000 for a defensive force. Lower level rally spots would reduce your upper limit.
    ok that makes more sence but how could you have 1.25mil troops in your city for attacking but only have 125k for defence?

Quote Originally Posted by BertandErine View Post
    i dont see how this would work.....................you typically need to attack with more troops than are defending........if you both have 100k in your city you cant attack them...............well i guess if you had many city there in the vasinity, but then you would get bored with all your cities within 20 miles of each other............................pls explain further
    All of the objections I've seen to troop caps so far distill down to one issue: it eliminates the ability of 1 lone city taking another lone city when all factors are otherwise equal except for an insane number of troops present in the attacking city.

Which, as has been seen, has created the need for super farming operations to support said attacking city. And clogged up the servers with NPC's to support all of those super farming operations.

Yeah ... this will kill the lone wolves. But everyone that likes team play will see it as a good change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Kendrick View Post
    All of the objections I've seen to troop caps so far distill down to one issue: it eliminates the ability of 1 lone city taking another lone city when all factors are otherwise equal except for an insane number of troops present in the attacking city.

Which, as has been seen, has created the need for super farming operations to support said attacking city. And clogged up the servers with NPC's to support all of those super farming operations.

Yeah ... this will kill the lone wolves. But everyone that likes team play will see it as a good change.
    i agree for the most part but this would nerf it too much, you shouldnt need 5+ cities to attack 1 city