Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Massive Troop Numbers and Food Consumption Issues

I don't understand why evony has hate towards players obtaining massive troops. What exactly is the problem with it? I think people need to realize this is a MMORTS, however much time you put into the game you will get back out. If you can't find the time to farm for 3 hours a day (you should never have to farm that much if you set things up correctly anyway) then don't play evony, because you will never win.

The player who puts more time into the game will be stronger. It's something that can't be avoided. No matter how much you try to balance or compensate weaker players, this will always stay true.

Strategy will always win over brute force, I'm not sure why evony or anyone else assumes its not. It doesn't matter if I have 100million archers, if I keep sending stupid attacks of 100k pure archers everytime I'm not going to get anywhere. Ofcourse you'll say why not send layers? Even though layers are common sense, they are still strategy. Cav smacks, mechanics attacks, layering, etc etc is all strategy. I consider the following to be the most important when playing evony:

1) Knowledge of game mechanics
    2) Your attack hero
    3) Your alliance
    4) Troop #s

As you can see, troops are at the bottom of the importance scale. I hate when people complain about getting beat up by bigger players but they don't learn game mechanics. It's like "evony help me, people are better than me at this game because they put more time into it and they learn how the game works. this isn't fair!"

It's stupid. You can't put no effort in the game and expect to be good, or even mediocre. I know of players in my server who have millions of troops, but they suck at attacking. On the flipside, I know a bunch of players who only have a few 100k troops but know the mechanics well enough where they can defend against millions of troops, and cause much more damage with the few troops they have.

I'm sick of people coming on forums, posting a battle report and going "Wtf, y did this fail?? evony r broken n unfair!11!1" They seem to think that archers + layers are invincible and will triumph over any defence. They don't take the time to break down their attack and see what to send to most effeciently take out defenses. It's really sad too, because it ruins the game for others when they complain about evony to fix it, and we end up with these kind of threads where we have to cater to the weaker players because they don't want to put any time or effort to understand the game.

I could go on for pages and pages about this, but I think you understand what I mean by now.

tl;dr people complain about evony being unfair when they put no time or effort into the game to understand their attacks or how the game works. You have to work out a balance between strategy and time that works for you. You can't put in no time and have no strategy and expect to be good.
    Server SS31
    TotalWar ex-Host
    TotalWar, TWarII, TWarIII, TWarVI
    Ranked #2, 8, 9, 10

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyBunny View Post
    I'm curious as to your opinion on this. Should the game be all about brute force? "My 6 million archers will pwn your 5.5 million archers! Noob! You should be farming an extra 20 NPC 10's!" Or is the move towards true strategy a desirable one?

Im unsure what you mean about this?
    Is this ageI or II related?

In ageII you dont even need to hit more then a few 5's and a few 10's from 1 city thats even with the over all -30mill upkeep i had.
    With the 50% reduction in food upkeep, then balancing resource packages for when you need them to kick start farming.

Brute force will never win if the defence keeps there traps and abatis up.

While walls are up if you have more then 200k archers defending that city with 5k layers, the attacking archers will almost never reach a crossfire senario, if you know what your doing.

For example i have seen a player lose over 1.5million archers worth of archer rainbow. (1250 pikes, scouts, warriors, swords - rest archers.)

On little over 200k archers 150k warriors 5k layers + walls.
    All the defending player did was move 5k layers in over and over, and rebuild traps and abatis.

So aslong as you know what your doing brute force will never prevail.
    Spawn proved this in his Hc guides, that if u just attack a 14 with just archer waves, no matter how many you send you will usually burn out before you even reach archer crossfire (same goes for pvp unless you spam the wall defences)

Last edited by ninno20; 08-09-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    [Ninno20 aka Olympia aka Rhys]
    and i will remember your name and face
    on the day you are judged by the funhouse cast
    and i will rejoice in your fall from grace
    with a cane through the sky like "none shall pass"

I believe that our large armies should be allowed but not because of "brute force"

For instance- Try attacking 100k ballistas. try defending against a pult smack. Taking away our npcs makes things like these not possible

Anyone can have 6mil archers if they are dedicated. Not many knows how to truly use their large armies to their best advantage. Having more troops opens up strategies as opposed to the idea of less troop and different strategies. Where we are at right now you need basic troops to defend your regular cities (300k arch or so with basic layers and mechs) then you have war cities which you support with your farm cities that need to have stocked up food. These cities aren't really meant to defend. I'd say a basic war city meant to do damage is stocked with at least 1.5mil archers, 1-2mil scouts, 150k cav, 150k phracts, and depending on preference a certain amount of balls and pults. This amount of troops is enough to take out 1 well defended city.

I understand that evony wasnt intended to work in the way that it does, however these strategies have taken the entire year that evony has been around to develop. take that away you take away your players hard work. I like that Age2 was created for those who do not enjoy playing evony the way that age1 is set up. you have Npcs regenerate nightly, food consumption cut down and different ways to play. Age1 should be left the way that it has been played for months now

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyBunny View Post
    As you all probably know, our development team never intended for players to set up NPC "farms" in AgeI and have massive armies. Last year, they even briefly nerfed the food returns from NPC's in an attempt to curb this, but ended up changing their minds to accomodate player opinion on the matter.
    I would like to get some perspective on that.

What was the intent of the Devs on how much of an army they expected players to use?

Quote Originally Posted by LordSal View Post
    I would like to get some perspective on that.

What was the intent of the Devs on how much of an army they expected players to use?
    That's an interesting question. What do they consider to be reasonable? I've never actually seen that answer.
    Failure is always an option...and this makes success all the more sweet.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Corba View Post
    That's an interesting question. What do they consider to be reasonable? I've never actually seen that answer.

It has been answered... i really am not in the mood to go archive searching lol but the answer was simple.
    Not that much... There we go lol

Its not a case of exact figures, but do you think someone would create a game where a player can fill 100 squares in all directions from him with barbs so he can hide away.

The game is made to be tactical, not to be an over sized game of hide and seek lol.
    [Ninno20 aka Olympia aka Rhys]
    and i will remember your name and face
    on the day you are judged by the funhouse cast
    and i will rejoice in your fall from grace
    with a cane through the sky like "none shall pass"

I have to agree with Evony on this point due to my own playing time.

I, frankly, don't have the time to farm and maintain huge, massive armies. And while I agree, that those who put in more time than I do should have bigger armies than me, the ability for people like me, who play an hour or 2 a day, to compete people who play 12 hours a day, has completely disappeared, especially on my server, N1. Battle mechanics are completely relevant in fighting with smaller troop levels, and the activity seen in Evony over the summer of '09 is proof of this. Until the act of farming level 10's was perfected and became part of an hourly routine for players, which seemed to become wide spread last September, I was able to compete against anyone on the server. On top of that, the side effect, and the cause in some cases, of this farming were super-powered heroes, which made the imbalance even worse, but I digress. On my server, it has basically come down to how many level 10's you can farm a day that decides who will win the war in the end, making most battle mechanic strategies irrelevant. Who cares if you can stop a cat smack or ram attack when an all-day farmer can send wave after wave for days.

I do agree on the other hand that some sort of troop maintenance is required, and that in itself becomes another strategy to the game. However, when a person can spend a ton of money, or time, and make the game irrelevant to their opponent who can not keep up the pace of spending time, or money, on the game, the military and strategy that makes the game fun disappears.

I liked the lack of farming on Age II, I just hated the Facebook, hero changes, and lack of attacking that was different from Age I.

Edit: I really think if Evony had stood up to the complaints of the farming players last May, they would have been fine and the game would have been better, but hindsight is always 20/20
    I also think the same thing if they had stood up to the complaints of transitioning from Age I to Age II, but once again, its just hindsight
    Last edited by BoozeHound the NewsHound; 08-09-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    **Offices closed until further notice**

Bringing the news to N1 without bias, prejudice or reality.

Please send all questions and comments through your local Presbyter!
    Have you hugged a mod today?

In a lot of the posts, I see the word strategy being applied to things that are properly tactics. This does raise the question of which of the two terms the devs actually want to know.

Tactics are generally short-term, and apply to the conduct of an individual engagement. For example, when we hit historical cities, we are interesting in the layering for each phase of the battle and which layering will produce the best outcome. This is tactical knowledge. In fact, anything that has to do with the game engine itself is properly tactical knowledge. All of it concerns the conduct of an individual engagement.

Strategy is the long-term master plan. Generally, when we use the phase "Player A has adopted a strategy of..." we mean that the player has adopted one particular choice among many. Strategic choices in evony are actually pretty limited.

Or let me put it another way. As we game, we have certain goals. So if you're playing Age 2 and your goal is to cap Atlantis, both Strategy and Tactics will serve that goal. Your strategy depends upon what state you are currently in, what alliance, your relationship to other alliances, your situation in that state, etc. Once you've considered these factors, your "strategy" is the path you will take to Atlantis. Tactics get employed in any individual battle you fight along the way. At present, there isn't a wide range of strategic choice available. The game itself constrains your choices to 2-3 limited options that will work, and in general, there's nothing to stop an "all of the above" approach. In other words, it is unidimensional as a strategy game.

Tactically, on the other hand, it is complex, and that is where most of the posters in this thread have found the real challenge.

Now the interesting thing is that I'm not sure if the original goal of this thread was really to expend the strategic or tactical side of the gameplay, or to be all-encompassing on both.

Personally, I think more troops = more tactics. Some idiot could have 5 million warriors, and I could have 100k Archers, and I would win every battle. Brute force isn't the main thing in determining a win or not. I personally like the bigger armies. It makes gameplay more interesting. One thing that I believe is stupid, is the glitch where if you have millions of millions of Archers defending, they don't partake in defense. That is very stupid.

While I like the idea AGE II offers with less food upkeep the lack of an attack option, is what is keeping a vast majority from moving over. Second to this would be the hero cap.

I am speaking from a high school students view. Playing this game in the top 300 is almost nearly impossible in AGE I. I manage to stay in the top 500 while attending school 5 days a week which means I play on average 4-5 hours a day. That time I manage to farm twice because of my location and server reset time. However if I could not get on to farm more then twice a day there would be no way I could continue playing.