Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Captain's Log

Default A Captain's Log

This is a short-ish story based off of an unfinished collection of short stories I started writing a while back. After some general storyline editing, I finally figured out exactly what I wanted it to be. Here it is. I'll post more when I find the rest of my notes.

This is the Captain's Log of the Starship, LRX2309. It is a transcript of the recorded tapes found in the Captain's quarters.

DAY 1

11/12/2256
    Docking Bay 14

Ugh...I have a horrible headache...I can't remember anything from last night...I can barely remember my own name. Ummm...I'm...ah...damn it...I'm Captain Allen something....Allen...Allen...Steele! That's it. I'm Captain Allen Steele of...well, apparently of this ship, whatever she's called. We're...God damn it, do I have to do this now? My head is pounding...[cough] No, you know what? Screw this! I'm going to bed.

DAY 2

11/13/2256
    Starship LRX2309, Captain's Quarters

Starship log, day 2...

My name is Captain Allen Steele of Starship LRX2309. This is the first day on the ship after our successful takeoff last night. I still can't seem to remember anything from before yesterday; the doctor on the ship told me it was probably just a bad hangover. Something doesn't add up, but it isn't my job to worry about that; I've got a ship to take care of. As per my commander's orders, this is to be an exploratory mission to planet K4503, also known as Ker'shano.

Last night's headaches were a setback, but I feel completely fit today. We're going to be testing the pods tomorrow. I don't feel good using experimental technology when we're already floating around in outer space, but I don't have much say in the matter, even with my rank. Apparently, Commander Mckenzie decided it would be a good idea to give the onboard techs temporary ranks of Major for this mission. [sigh] It's obvious why he did it; if it were up to me, we'd be taking it much slower than we are now, but unless I want to risk a court-marshal for disobeying a higher-ranking officer, I have to do everything they say.

I've got a bad feeling about this. Captain Steele, out.

DAY 3

11/14/2256
    Starship LRX2309, Hibernation Chamber

Starship log, day 3...

We just sent in the five test subjects. That's five less people we have to run the ship.

I can't beleive this ****. They could have tested the pods out of the field, in some safe lab somewhere, but since setting the launch date held up for a few weeks is like blasphemy to the Commander, they decided to risk giving us experimental hibernation technology. This is complete and total bull. I hope the techies can hear me saying this.

If a single one of my men die because those pods weren't properly constructed, there will be hell to pay. God, if only those old holomovies had it right, this would be over with so much quicker; if only we could just say "Jump to light speed," pull a few levers, and be at the destination in a few minutes.

Of course, traveling at the speed of light would cause a black hole to open, and although I'd love for some of the people on this ship to be killed, I'm not one of them.

Crap. There's something wrong with the recording device. It might be a while before I make my next log. Captain Steele, out.

DAY 10

11/21/2256

Starship log, day 10...

Well, I was right. They give us experimental technology, and the experiment fails.

[sigh]....I'm being a bit overdramatic. It wasn't a complete failure. At least, not by their standards. Two of our test subjects died, both from complications with the feeding tubes. The first never received any nutrition for some reason, and the second somehow received nourishment contaminated with chemicals from the ship's waste disposal system. Of course, Major Anhalt, the head scientist on the ship, thinks that it was just a freak accident, and wants to send in a new batch of test subjects next week.

We're all supposed to be living in these pods for a year starting in just a few weeks, and they're already not living up to expectations. If any more people die, I'm turning this ship around and marching into Mckenzie's fancy little office myself. I will not stand for this crap. To hell with science.

The funeral for Jacob Crowley and Samantha Jerric is going to be held tomorrow. We're having the mess hall cleared for the ceremony. May they rest in peace.

Damn it...just...[sigh]...damn it...Jake had a wife and kid...

Captain Steele, out.

DAY 13

11/24/2256

Starship Log, day 13....

The second batch of pod tests began today. There isn't much I can do about it anymore. It seems like I'm just on this ship to keep this log updated now.

All our engines are running fine, all the system checks keep coming up positive, but there's something nagging at the back of my mind, some sense of foreboding that just won't go away.

Why are we being shipped off to Ker'shano? It's not a question I've asked myself often these last two weeks, but I've overheard a few of the scientists talking...

From what I've heard, Ker'shano is supposedly uninhabitable. Human life cannot be sustained there without massive amounts of terraforming, like we had to do with Mars. At least Mars was closer. It just isn't worth it to terraform Ker'shano. So-

[knock on door in background]

Damn it. Captain Steele, out.

DAY 14

11/25/2256

Starship log, day 14.

The ship's onboard techs have set up a quarantine. None of us are allowed to go anywhere near the pods being tested. They say it's to keep us from contaminating the experiment.

I'm guessing something has already gone wrong and they don't want anyone to know it yet. In two weeks, we all have to start living in those pods. If the same 40% death rate keeps up, we won't have enough people left to pilot the ship home. This is getting out of hand, and it's doing it fast.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This was a bad idea.

Captain Steele, out.

DAY 17

11/28/2256

Starship log, day 17.

Tomorrow is the end of the second test, and it looks like it'll be the last one that there will even be time for the way things are going. I still don't know the conditions of any of the test subjects, and I still don't know anything about whether those pods are even liveable!

[long pause]

There's some kind of bump on the back of my neck...probably just a mole or something, but it hasn't been there before, so cancer is always a possibility. I'm going to have the medical tech check it out tomorrow.

Damn it, it itches...

One of our female crewmembers gave birth today. Bringing her on the ship was definitely not my idea, but it's supposed to be some kind of experiment to see how infants react to being put in a hibernation pod for a year or some other twisted crap like that.

Eleven days before we all might get killed by a bunch of innocent looking pods.

Captain Steele, out.

DAY 18

11/29/2256
    Starship LRX2309, Medical Bay

Starship log, day 18.

Today's the first day of this trip that we've actually gotten good news back from.

Private Palcrest's baby is alive and well, and it's raising the morale of everyone on the ship.

I definitely do not have cancer, which is a pretty good thing to know; the doc still didn't seem to know anything about that little bump on the back of my neck, but he told me I "shouldn't mess with it," for whatever reason that is...

But the best part? Nobody died in the tests this time. Sure, they're still in quarantine, and it still ****es the hell out of me, and we still don't know anything about their actual condition, but hey! At least we aren't going to all die a painful and dreamless death in ten days!

[sigh]

We don't have enough time for any more tests. We have to go into hibernation soon, and we just have to hope that this last test wasn't a fluke. I suppose dying in those pods will be easier than starving to death outside of them.

Unless something major happens, I probably won't be making another log entry until the day we enter the pods. Captain Steele, out.

DAY 28

12/8/2256
    Starship LRX2309, Hibernation Chambers

Starship log, day 28.

Today's the big day. We go into stasis, or hibernation, or whatever you want to call it today. I still have no idea what the hell happened to the last test subjects, and no one else on the ship is being allowed to see them. Anhalt, the lead technician on the ship, is the one who was conducting the tests, and I sure as hell can't get anything worth hearing out of him.

So, as far as I and anyone else on the ship knows, there's a good chance that this will be my last audio log. If that's true, then there's also a good chance that no one will hear this until they send another ship to explore Ker'shano. Hopefully that one will be better equipped.

If I do manage to survive, then I should be awake in about a year. Three crewmembers have been chosen to stay out of the pods and keep the ship running in the right direction until we get there, and to make sure the pods are working correctly.

I suppose there isn't much left to do other than finish praying for survival and hop into a deathtrap for the next year.

Captain Allen Steele, out.
    Last edited by trogdor1316; 08-16-2010 at 03:55 PM.

So what will you do when they call your name and you're not ready to go?
    Everyone will stare at you and tell you what you know
    That you're in too deep and you can't quite keep your secrets, one and all
    We might just make it after all, on our own

Quote Originally Posted by rasterbee View Post
    That's a cleverly stupid response, trogdor.

DAY ???

Date Unknown
    Ker'shano (Assumed Location)

[coughing noises]

This is the starship log, day...er...damn it, I don't know what day it is.

The ship is ruined. I can only assume that we crashed somewhere, and I can only hope it was Ker'shano. I don't know the status of any of the other crew members.

[groaning and coughing]

I'm experiencing severe muscle distrophy. The automated exercise equipment inside the pods must have been malfunctioning, otherwise I'd be up and running already. As it is, I can barely lift the recorder.

I'm coughing up a lot of blood...I'm so god damned tired...the rocks feel so soft...I think I'll sleep for a while before I look for the rest of the crew....

[coughing]

Captain Steele....out...
    Last edited by trogdor1316; 08-16-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Saved for even more writing.

Looks like someone had a bit too much to drink at the change of command ceremony...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigilstone17 View Post
    Holeypaladin is a pretty cool guy.
    I like swords.

Cort, chronicling the downfall of Admiral Castas

I dunno, I'm alrady sniffing a rat around those "techies"... I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them did something to Captain Steele...

That kind old lady stopped the rain for us.
    She said it would only make us cold, and miserable, and sick.
    We thanked her and hugged her and she walked away smiling warmly.
    I miss the puddles...

I think I've seen this story before...Or maybe it's just Captain Allen Steele. You've used the name before, haven't you?

"You're a Booby" ~William the Troll

Noooo! Not Jacob!

Quote Originally Posted by Montros View Post
    I think I've seen this story before...Or maybe it's just Captain Allen Steele. You've used the name before, haven't you?
    Yeah...this is a remake of "The Ker'shano Files," a story I never got around to finishing.

Star trek ripoff

Quote Originally Posted by brownchocolate View Post
    Star trek ripoff
    Every sci fi story rip off, basically.

Or maybe it's just that they all sound the same, hmm? Really. It's not a rip off, if you knew how the Star Trek stories went.

"You're a Booby" ~William the Troll