Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Age II: Limitless Troops

Default Age II: Limitless Troops

Currently in Age II players can pack troops into a regular city or Historical City with zero food and the troops won't die. They can just keep packing and packing and drafting and drafting and eventually the city may have 500 million troops in it. This will make capturing cities impossible and create armies of insane numbers.

Using food in any way as a army size limiter is out of the question here. The second we introduce food as a limiter in any way is the second players who farm the most win. And when that happens Age II will become Age I. So all of these ideas are foodless ideas...

Some Ideas:

Suggestion1 - Troops in your city are dismissed (or go into fugitive camp) after a certain period of time.
    This will allow players to build armies as big as they need. Say the newly trained troop can stay idle in your city for "x" time. Long enough to train and store troops required to solo a L16. But not long enough to allow a player to amass a army of insane size. In chess there IS a time limit. You cannot keep pieces on the board forever without moving/using them.

Suggestion2 - Hard Cap on troops. Say each city is limited to only holding 2 million troops. This will force players to use more strategy than brute force. HOW the player decides to use their troops will determine if they win the battle or not. Just like chess, HOW you use your pieces determines if you win or lose. It will also force players to use their troops and kill off troops before they can train more. A hard cap is hard to exploit.

Suggestion3 - Troop handicap. The larger size army a player has the more penalty that player gets. The penalty is basically a handicap like golf. For example, The more troops a player has the worse their heal rate. Or the more troops a player has the lower their defense/attack goes.

Suggestion4 - Training time slows as army increases in size. The more troops you have the longer it takes to train them.

Suggestion 5 - A combination of a hard cap AND Fugitive Camp. Troops are hard capped at "x" million per city. Anything beyond "x" million goes into fugitive camp. With this idea, lack of food does not send the troops into fugitive camp. Rather, going over the cap puts troops into fugitive camp.

Suggestion 6 - Reintroduce refuge but with penalties that are less harsh to cater to more casual/inactive players. (this is a food related limiter but have added to suggestion list)
    Last edited by japanpimp; 08-17-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks to Boleslav for the Afro Samurai Signature series.
    I have made a few video guides that may help you.
    Please read the link below.
    My Evony Videos

y would u limit the number of troops ? age 1 is about what u can feed age 2 is about what u can get age 2 is boring in my opinon i would never put a limit on how many troops u can have cuz in my opinon thats just wrong

Hard caps never work and make high end players mad. Also with defense over powered end game will just result in everyone sitting at the limit and being unbreakable in one on one combat.

The answer is simple really, bring back refuge. Then you are limited on the number of troops you can have.

This imposes a soft cap on how many troops you can keep.

You wanna put in more effort farming or money buying vesta? great, then you get an advantage of having more troops.

More money spent and/or more effort in playing and you get an advantage. Its not really a novel idea.

yeah refuge is the best solution, hard cap is dumb as hell.

Nooo dont do this to ageII.
    Now they are going to change the hc drafts, (while making hc's really not appealing to get other then to defend your state/good place to invade a state) now it cant make unlimited warriors (which is basicly the only troops drafting hc's can get you not unlimited countless troops of all types like some people believe)

On na1 a player packed a city full of troops, after spamming his wall defences he was very easy to take down with the correct waves.

What you need to remember once you kill his troops the only troops which can reinforce are his alliance's troops.
    10 embassy is 10 waves of troops.
    Mostly is archers.
    Just have some phract smacks on standbye + archer waves.

While they can use a compact defence, you can also move around a large amount of troops, then farm when you land to attack.

It works both ways.

Just throwing that out there
    [Ninno20 aka Olympia aka Rhys]
    and i will remember your name and face
    on the day you are judged by the funhouse cast
    and i will rejoice in your fall from grace
    with a cane through the sky like "none shall pass"

i don't even play age 2 but lets say the limit is 30mil like you said.

would it help if you had your city with 30million and two enemy citys around with 30million troops

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness5577 View Post
    Why do you have to roll DM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mati2 View Post
    He's a big guy, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
    Wow, forgot how crazy DoubleM was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arathorn136 View Post
    Well I've been so ridiculously bored lately, but I haven't knifed anybody up yet.

I disagree with a hrad limit too. Simply because it means the ability of strategy is mostly removed. Because people will build up to that amount before attacking. So it will always be "hey let's go invade JP's cities. Let's see we have to assume he has 30 mil troops so we need to hit hom with 30 mil from me and 30 from my VH and oh wait, suppression. Right I need to rrenforce my city after attacking to the 30 mil limit and hope my 30 mil beats his 30 mil."

It is a nice concept to level the playing field. But it would get pretty stagnant cause there, imo, would not be much of a mystery to combat. I HAVE to assume you have 30 mil and you have to assume the same with me. It would purely come down to hero attributes and luck of layers.

I just need to abandon all my farm cities and rebuild iron/wood so I can amass 100 million archers and then sell all the wood and iron for food and send everything I gots at atlantis then park all the troops there. I think a two man alliance. One builder and one farmer can truley be devestating with this no starve concept. We really need the attack button now and an upgrade to the colonize system to help cull the herds.
    Kaiya
    Academy1 Host
    NA13 Only "Shuriken"
    http://bbs.evony.com/group.php?groupid=1596

Yeah, some good points brought out by the posters. I guess the bottom line is that we need some kind of control mechanism so that a player cannot hole up in a L16 and draft limitless warriors for 1 year. And while everyone is busy preparing for Atlantis the player who has the L16 drafts and drafts and drafts and next thing you know they have some insane army in the L16 and it becomes impossible to crack..

Thanks to Boleslav for the Afro Samurai Signature series.
    I have made a few video guides that may help you.
    Please read the link below.
    My Evony Videos

1) Capping the limit is stupid
    2) making HC`s have no attraction ruins the game
    3) not allowing players who own HC`s vote is stupid
    4) allowing other players to spread false accusations regarding HC`s and drafting ~ Insulting
    5) maybe have a closed forum so only the Development team see the posts that way we can be honest and constructive with out having to worry that our words in some way offend the work of the developers or the Image of evony
    The idea of life is not to arrive at ones grave safely...
    But to hurl oneself at deaths gate with contempt in a body that can take no more....

But where does this Death guy live? coords if you have them...

Quote Originally Posted by SirBadger View Post
    3) not allowing players who own HC`s vote is stupid
    I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but if you're referring to the poll about HC drafting options, see this post: http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?...96#post1364496

It helps to look around first ...

Anyway, going back to the OP ... I disagree with a fixed cap on the number of troops you can have per city. We are not NPCs to be issued a limit on. Imho, the limiting factor of the game is upkeep and refuge. Since upkeep can easily be avoided/addressed in Age II (lower upkeep, Vestas, FB buffs), it would be good to keep refuge in the game.