Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "you may not post replies"

Quote Originally Posted by TNTitan View Post

1-is the only way to know a thread is archived to scroll to the end of the page and see: You may not post replies

2-is there any way to exclude arhived threads from the search tool (since time lapse is useless...)
    If the thread is in the News section-Game , you cannot post in it, usually... Its for announcements and news lol....

1. If you look at the top, it should say if its in the archived section (if your in the thread). If your browsing through with search, it should be on the right with the section category thing (ace showed it )

2. Advanced search, on the left there are things like this...

Find Posts from

Sort Results by

Show Results as
    Last edited by Reasoner; 10-10-2010 at 06:31 PM.

I almost never search from within the forum...

Usually if I'm looking for info on increasing hero experience for example I google it and get a much wider variety of responses, because usually searching only on this forum, I get no answers...

as in this case, when I do an advanced search for this topic, if I restrict my search to AgeI , there are no topics of interest (since the archived one is erroneous). The "archived" one I wanted to "like" is from march 2010, I thought surely it is relevant...

so it all seems useless really, archives are nearly useless....

Why not just keep stickies on certain topics, like getting more experience for heroes, which would also be relevant and up-to-date, just keep a whole bunch of stickies on topics that are eternally relevant?

Threads are kept in the archive, because almost all the info is still relevant to people searching for information. Just be conscious of the fact that there is a reason the thread has been archived when you view it. A 6 month old thread, may have some outdated info, but most of the replies in that thread are still valid advice for gaining hero XP.

The archives are a great source of info. Just take the info with a grain of salt, especially with the really old posts.
    I dig up info in the archives all the time in order to answer current questions peole have. The correct answer is usually in there, somewhere.
    Last edited by Rota; 10-10-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzzzzzzzalicious! View Post
    i started to read this and agree with everything rota says. if people just listened to him the forums would be a better place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    Rota is correct.

I don't even understand the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Threads are kept in the archive, because almost all the info is still relevant to people searching for information. Just be conscious of the fact that there is a reason the thread has been archived when you view it. A 6 month old thread, may have some outdated info, but most of the replies in that thread are still valid advice for gaining hero XP.

The archives are a great source of info. Just take the info with a grain of salt, especially with the really old posts.
    I dig up info in the archives all the time in order to answer current questions peole have. The correct answer is usually in there, somewhere.
    well the thread I was looking at the last post was march 2010. I can't imagine the AgeI has had experience tweaks since then, and it is a current topic, of general interest...

Anywho, thx for the answer

oh and by the way...

When I click to the link in my email to view this person's post, I get sent instead to the end of the thread, is this normal for this forum?

In all other forums I participate in, when you click the link in the email to see a poster's post, you get sent to THAT post...

thank you
    Last edited by Quantum Leap; 10-10-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Double post.

well the thread I was looking at the last post was march 2010. I can't imagine the AgeI has had experience tweaks since then, and it is a current topic, of general interest...

Anywho, thx for the answer
    Age 1 and Age 2 have experienced tweaks since then. Over the summer, NPC's got much more dangerous to low-mid level heros leading a farm attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzzzzzzzalicious! View Post
    i started to read this and agree with everything rota says. if people just listened to him the forums would be a better place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    Rota is correct.

I don't even understand the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Age 1 and Age 2 have experienced tweaks since then. Over the summer, NPC's got much more dangerous to low-mid level heros leading a farm attempt.
    Funny you'd say that...

I joined AgeI in March. Even with a good hero I needed a ball/trstp combo of 400-450/450, now with low heroes (lv1-10, with atk 60-68) I can do it 360/450, so IMO farming npc5s has gotten easier!

But the experience gained by the heroes since I joined has never changed, an npc5 with a ball/trspt combo gives 93k experience... and according to archives it's been like that for a long long long time... unless one add throw-away warriors to the combo, THEN experience climbs up.

on a thread about leveling up young heroes, a poster states to: crash 50k warriors against the walls of an npc5 will gain 100k experience instead of the 93k experience of sending ball/trspt combo. That is false, I've tried this on different servers with different level heroes, and going simply with 5k warriors only gets 50k experience.

So this answer is misleading, the thread should be open for debate to occur.

http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?t=108892
    I think this one comes down to misunderstanding/misinterpretation of what the poster said. I also thought at first that he was talking about crashing 5k warriors (notice that you misread "5k warriors" as "50k warriors") against a level 5 NPC. However, he didn't exactly say outright to crash them on a 5, and I told myself that that would just be foolish, because you can get almost 100k XP for free (with the right ballista/trans combination) from a level 5 ... so why waste 50k warrs?

I read the post over and over, and came to the conclusion that he's talking about crashing them on higher-level NPCs. I made some test runs on level 6 to level 10 NPCs just a few hours ago to see if my assumption's right. I hit pay dirt with level 10s:

123k XP ... and that's just with a very low-level hero. Heroes with attacks higher than 100 get a few k more (I asked a friend to test it twice in his own server, s138). The above is from Age I. I tried it on an Age II server too, but I only got 74k XP (but Age II is a bit different from Age I, especially with heroes, so we won't go there).

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that, like what Rota said, you have to take these posts with a grain of salt. Not everyone gives very detailed responses, and sometimes one can even overlook/forget to clarify his/her points.

There was NO LOCK icon anywhere on any of the threads which I was not able to post to...
    Please refer to Acer's and Rota's replies on how to determine if a thread is in the archives.

There's no lock icon like this anywhere on those threads because they immediately disappear when they get moved to the archives. This is reasonable, since you wouldn't be able to post in the archives anyway, lock or no lock.

However, if you click on this ...

... you'll be taken back to the list of topics in the archives, and it'll be easy to see the lock icon before the title, like so:

... indicating that the thread was locked before it was moved to the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwings View Post
    I think this one comes down to misunderstanding/misinterpretation of what the poster said. I also thought at first that he was talking about crashing 5k warriors (notice that you misread "5k warriors" as "50k warriors") against a level 5 NPC. However, he didn't exactly say outright to crash them on a 5, and I told myself that that would just be foolish, because you can get almost 100k XP for free (with the right ballista/trans combination) from a level 5 ... so why waste 50k warrs?

[...]

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that, like what Rota said, you have to take these posts with a grain of salt. Not everyone gives very detailed responses, and sometimes one can even overlook/forget to clarify his/her points.
    [...]
    Thank your considered and complete response. Just to rectify, I tested with 5k warriors, so my typing 50k warriors was a typo

Considering the expanse of this question and answer session, I take it as a perfect example of why such threads SHOULD remain OPEN in order that healthy debate on them may continue. It not only 'was' but 'is' a relevant question in the game and continued discussion on this topic is perfectly legitimate. Archiving it freezes it in time. I really don't like surprising grains of salt, I prefer healthy debate.

Thanks again

Oh and to go with what raven said, if you add 1k warrs with a balli/trns raid you gain 141k exp IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by RMH94 View Post
    Oh and to go with what raven said, if you add 1k warrs with a balli/trns raid you gain 141k exp IIRC
    done that plenty already... was looking for additional tweaks...