Thread: Born To Be Undead? (My first true add on story)

Inside my own little corner, on the crossway of sanity and chaos.

Default Born To Be Undead? (My first true add on story)

"Happy Birthday!"

Springtime, sunshine, and streamers littered the front yard. Mom brought out the birthday cake, with ten candles, all lit. Gifts from family and friends laid on the table, still to be opened. Yes, I remember the fun, and all the dreams I had until that cake was laid on the table. Dad smiled at me, telling me to hurry up and blow out the candles. I remember getting out of my seat, then excitedly drawing in breath...!

Then...it happened. I couldn't draw a full breath of air! I tried to raise my hand in shock, and felt my arm slowly move, with a bit of pain. I slid bonelessly to the ground, surrounded by friends, family, and fear.

Hours Later...

I awoke to the sounds of beeping. I was groggy as I noticed all the machines and tubes I was hooked up to. What the...? Oh...hospital, right! However, even in my state, I noticed the room wasn't quite right. No windows. Aren't hospital rooms supposed to have windows?

My second shock came in a few minutes later. Struggling to find breath, and finding that even a frown hurt, I watched my parents come into the room. Finally, as they came to my bedside, I managed to croak, "Mom, Dad...what's with the suits?"

The look in their eyes, even though I was just newly ten, I recognized. It was fear, guilt, and pity, mixed with love and concern. I wanted to ask more, wanted to find out what was wrong, because the look wasn't RIGHT! That's when the doctor came in.

"Well, there's our patient!" He was dressed in the same suit my parents were, but he held a clipboard, but it seemed, even to me, that he kept a curious energy in check. "At least your parents got you here in time! We'll figure this all out, just rest a bit. We've put you in this special room, to make sure you get the rest you need."

Drawing on inner reserves of energy known only to kids, I managed to lift an arm to him. "Doc, WHY suits? Is it THAT bad?" My voice trembled, fear giving it a bit of an edge I never knew it could have.

"Don't worry about it. Just rest...!" With that, he put something in my IV line, and I drifted off...

Dear Diary,

That was when I learned there were worse things in life than school bullies and back yard football. Delayed Necropsy, they told my parents. Slow shutdown and eventual decay of my organs and limbs. As nicely as my mom and dad tried to break the news to me, I'm old enough to know it's only a matter of time before my body breaks down. They're trying to figure out how to slow it down, give me time. I don't want to die, but will I want to live when that time comes? I don't know, and that scares me more than the 'isolation' chamber I'm in.

(Since we're in a zombie sort of mood, it inspired me to start writing this. As I mentioned in the title, it's an add on, so I'm looking forward to what you all can add! )

((EDIT: *Crosses fingers and hopes that this isn't a fail on her part...!*))
    Last edited by Fallbreeze; 12-18-2010 at 04:25 AM.

Special Props To Don Ezio for this!

In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.

Cort, chronicling the downfall of Admiral Castas

"Please, I've looked worse on days when my parents have had to drag me out of bed! You'll be fine, I know it!"

I smiled as my best friend Moira tried to comfort me. After nearly a day of begging, my parents had finally let me see her-video chat only, of course. They lugged in my computer just for the occasion. I let her prattle on in her pixelated form, telling me about what everyone else was doing while I was out, how lucky I was not to have to do any of the homework... you know, things meant to take my mind off of... all this.

It was helping, but at the same time... it wasn't. Part of me was glad for the distraction, but part of me felt that she couldn't really understand what had happened.

Moira finally stopped with the narration. "Are you doing okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine. Thanks for... talking," I croaked. "You..."

Something started beeping insistently as I tried to speak. I could already feel that the sentence wasn't quite getting out. The computer was turned off by some outside switch, and a pair of suits rushed in...

That kind old lady stopped the rain for us.
    She said it would only make us cold, and miserable, and sick.
    We thanked her and hugged her and she walked away smiling warmly.
    I miss the puddles...

"Doctor, the patient is waking!" Footsteps, clicking like fingers racing on a keyboard, were the first things I heard as I came back to consciousness. My heart had started to take on the cadence of the beeping monitors. I also felt something odd in my nose and throat.

Curiosity had me opening my eyes. Same boringly sanitary white room. Same hospital staff in ugly looking isolation suits. My eyes took in everything slowly, until I noticed it. There was one new machine by my bedside. Tubes ran from it, across my bed, down my throat and sticking in my nose. I realized that the machine must be helping me breathe. I let out a small whimper around the breathing tubes. No way I can run or ride my bike now! I hadn't known until that moment I was still hoping the doctors could find a cure for the 'necropsy'.

"Now, now. It was only a small spell! Just take it easy, don't get yourself too stressed out. We'll take one of those out in just a little while." I felt a gloved hand pat my shoulder, touch and tone trying to comfort me. I tried to smile, but between the tube and the 'spell', I couldn't find enough in me to fake one.

I tried to speak. After hearing the strangled gurgle, I made typing and writing motions with my hands. On one side of me, the suited nurse handed over a notepad and pen. Carefully, I opened it and wrote.

"Where's Mom? Where's Dad? Why aren't they here???"

Leaning over, the doctor nodded as he read. "Your parents needed to take care of some things at home. They'll be here later. You've been resting for a few hours."

I frowned in thought, and nodded. They won't abandon me, but I wish they were here! Another quick scribble to the pad, then tilted the paper for the doctor to get a look. "Anything to eat?"

That at least got a smile from the doctor. "Another half an hour for the breathing tube down your throat. Then dinner." With another squeeze and quick look at the blinking lights of the monitors, both of them left.

Sitting in my bed, I couldn't help shivering a bit. Alone. Is this how it will be from now on? Tests, 'spells', then...! Shutting down those thoughts, I grabbed the laptop, and started Googling 'necropsy'. In cyberspace, I shut away the loneliness, and started to read...and hope I'd find some slim hope to hold on for.

I just noticed this story...and I am gripped by it...

Please do continue...
    Formerly known as Jurnis

*Rubs my aching head*

Should I just continue writing this myself, since only Bree added anything to this?

*Hugs and Kudos to Bree*

I also want to know what happens next, but honestly, I don't feel I can contribute. I want Fall to take me on the journey.

To be honest, I'm not good with that sort of story either...Only thing I can at least lay claim to competance at is medieval/fantasy and sci-fi (also prolly fantasy)...
    Formerly known as Jurnis

(Oh, all right! Guess I'll take over the writing...)

"Sweetheart, we're back!" My mother's voice brought me back to the present. Rubbing my head, I eased back into the pillows. Mom, even suited, could move fast. She had the bed adjusted before I could even blink.

With a slow smile, I relaxed. The doctor, I noticed, was there, along with my parents. When my mother would have spoke again, he lifted a hand. "Now, now. Let me remove the tube first. The poor child has already asked when dinner would be served, and I can't see a reason to delay that!" With a few quick, but still odd and uncomfortable on my part, moves, I was finally free of the mouth tube. Then, he moved a tray over the bed, on one of those rolling tables.

Looking down on the hospital food almost took my mind off the results of my Googling. Both my parents and the doctor laughed to see the expression of 'Eww' run across my face.

"Come on. You didn't expect hospital fare to be anything but nutritious!" Dad reached over and poked my jello with the sterilized utensil. "It's edible. Just not pizza and ice cream!"

I stuck my tongue out at him. "Ice cream IS good for me! Calcium! Strong bones and teeth!" I had learned that through both my teachers and the ice cream ads on TV.

I was about ready to say something else, when my mother made a small noise. It almost sounded like she was trying not to cry. I looked over, and saw her holding my comp. I also saw her looking at Dad with the saddest expression on her face. She must have seen what I was looking at on Google! Oh, Mom! I wished I had gotten to turn the computer off before they arrived!

The doctor took both of them out of the room with him. He mentioned 'letting the child eat in peace', but I had seen the look. His face was very serious. Knowing that it would be a bit before I would get to talk to Mom and Dad, I unenthusiastically attacked my 'dinner'. The taste would have been horrible enough. Thinking about the information, or the lack thereof, I could find on Necrospy killed it more. Thinking about the doctor, talking to my parents, totally turned the meal into chalk and sawdust.