Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Bear [OOC]

Text The Golden Bear [OOC]

Introduction

Welcome, and thank you for reading this and giving this RP your consideration.

What I am proposing here is a trial RP. I think it's clear that I'm trying some things out in this thread that may turn out to be interesting and fun, but equally could turn out to be annoying and distracting. By submitting an application, you should consider yourself not just a player in a story, but also a tester and evaluator. I need and want your feedback throughout.

Because this is a trial RP, it will be small in scale. We're not going on an epic quest to overthrow an enemy. Nor is this RP endless and barrierless. In fact, this will be a highly structured scene-by-scene short story. The disadvantage to that is you as characters lose some freedom of movement and of action. The advantage is that I can promise you an RP with a clear start and end, and a story connecting those two points. I know that the bar for RPs is set very high in this forum and I pay you all the highest tribute for that. I don't aspire to the peaks that others have reached, I'm just providing something that I hope could be fun.

Here is an example of the kind of information I will provide when I start a scene:

Title - A quick descriptor of the scene.
    Duration - An indicator of how much time passes in the scene.
    Goal - The objective of the scene.
    Tone - A suggestion to guide your writing.*
    Location - Where the scene occurs.
    Characters - Who is involved in this scene.**
    Ends - How you know the scene is complete.
    *Special* - Any additional scene-specific rules or objectives.

* This is only a suggestion. You retain absolute control over your character's emotional reactions to events.
    ** For plot reasons I may not be fully transparent with this category.

So for example:

Quote Originally Posted by Boleslav's Example
    Title - The Jail Cell
    Duration - Overnight.
    Goal - To escape from prison.
    Tone - Focused, determined.
    Location - The old city jailhouse.
    Characters - In addition to the players, a guard, and a dog
    Ends - With the escape of all players.
    *Special* - The dog must be killed. The killer gains one level of conscience.

One point I do want to make is that once we are finished and I have digested the feedback, I will be offering a sequence of adventures which your characters can play in. So the actual RP will be more like a series of short stories featuring some of the same characters, rather than an epic length novel. In the actual RP, you will be able to choose what adventures you want to participate in.

So what does signing up for this version of the RP get you? Well, I do hope to be giving out lots of rep and praise in general, and there's a chance you will be entertained, but more importantly I hope to be able to award you all with a blessing of your choice at the RP's end. Equipment, statistics, and power words will carry through directly to the next RP.

The only section right now which presents an immediate issue is the skills. I definitely want skills to matter - I see some RPs where skills seems sidelined and irrelevant - but for the actual RP I am uncertain what I want skills to function as and how they should be handled. So when you take part, bear in mind that I am looking for feedback especially in that area.
    Last edited by Boleslav; 01-30-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Arrow Player Status

Player Status

RED TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bree Fletcher View Post
    Name: Ecgleofu
    Constellation: Unguessed
    Conscience: Uncertain
    Health: Healthy

Quote Originally Posted by imnothere View Post
    Name: Gweneal
    Conscience: Innocent
    Health: Unknown, character is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoHit420 View Post
    Name: Alec Mal'Thor
    Retired Character

Quote Originally Posted by Jurnis View Post
    Name: Smith
    Constellation: Unguessed 4/6
    Conscience: Pragmatic
    Health:
    Arrow wound in leg, healing herbs have been applied.

Quote Originally Posted by jannge View Post
    Name: Jason Thorndike

Quote Originally Posted by <3Sari<3 View Post
    Name: Aevalaine
    Constellation: Unguessed 1/6

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoner View Post
    Name: Niel Donze (nickname Nihlus)

Conscience: Equivalence

Quote Originally Posted by *jdm* View Post
    Name: Jebidiah Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by devis666 View Post
    Name: Jacha

Conscience: Cruel

BLUE TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by imnothere View Post
    Name: Gweneal
    Conscience: Innocent
    Health:Unknown, character is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by wpack10 View Post
    Name: Cale Griffith
    Health:Recovering swiftly from being knocked out and dragged around.

Quote Originally Posted by Arathorn136 View Post
    Name: Alexivia Papago

Quote Originally Posted by Revoltion View Post
    Name Cleo Ransone

Quote Originally Posted by coolbro View Post
    Name: frod

Retired character

Quote Originally Posted by Alusair View Post
    Name: Malina Revati Shasta

Quote Originally Posted by acer5200 View Post
    Name: Ace Rebel
    Health:
    Healthy

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherhoodUK View Post
    Name: Lukas Tystarion

Quote Originally Posted by devis666 View Post
    Name: Jacha

Last edited by Boleslav; 02-13-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Arrow Skills - an Explanation

Skills - an Explanation

You get to decide what skills your character has, and you can assign a number from 1 - 10 to clarify how proficient they are. Each rep bar you have on the forum is equivalent to one skill level. You can invest all your rep bars in one skill, or spread them out across many.

[EDIT] - Everyone starts with a bonus 8 points to allocate to skills, on top points from their rep bar number.

Articles, events, and some characters can change skill level from the initial scores. If a forum member gains a skill bar during the RP they can add it to a pre-existing skill if they want.

Last edited by Boleslav; 01-26-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Arrow Power Words - an Explanation

Power Words - an Explanation

Please think of power words as being a type of magic. In this RP, every character has the ability to use power words. There are no restrictions or enhancements for any given class.

Keep a note of any adjectives* and nouns** which other characters directly say to you. I advise storing them in a sticky note or in notepad. Any combination of three adjectives or nouns posted in this thread by your character counts as power word magic.

For example:

Quote Originally Posted by player 1
    You have such beautiful eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by player 2
    I could use a strong drink, couldn't you?
    Assuming both these utterances were directed at player 3, then player 3 could choose to utter the power words beautiful strong eyes. Player 3 would post in this thread to declare this utterance, would remove those words from her inventory, and would explain what the magic will do. Perhaps beautiful strong eyes allows your character to find a hidden clue or artifact, or to see for a long distance or with great clarity. Perhaps it allows you to peer into someone's soul.

* an adjective is a word that describes, such as: good, ugly, crazy, etc.
    ** a noun is a word that is the name of an object, such as: bed, hat, etc.

Last edited by Boleslav; 01-30-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: clarity

Arrow Conscience - an Explanation

Conscience - an Explanation

Thanks to *JDM*

Each character possesses a moral conscience. Essentially, it is a way to measure a character's self regard. I want to capture that "growing up" which characters in great adventure stories experience. The memories created by making choices in an adventure should resonate and remain in a character's psyche.

Your character can start with levels already on their conscience. You have editorial control over what they may have done in the past, how they feel about it, and whether it is widely known or a secret (please indicate in the application).

Characters can reduce or increase other player's conscience levels through power words. Events in the RP, certain artifacts, and certain NPCs can also change players' conscience levels.

Conscience Levels
    1 - Innocent (only newborns or the very innocent and sheltered.)
    2 - Reflective (some past regrets, nothing major or debilitating.)
    3 - Uncertain (rightly or wrongly, this character believes they are responsible for something awful.)
    4 - Pragmatic (this character will do bad actions when necessary.)
    5 - Equivalence (this character experiences no moral difference between right and wrong.)
    6 - Tainted (this character is beginning to explore their dark side.)
    7 - Cruel (this character enjoys being able to cause suffering.)
    8 - Sadistic (this character has a psychosexual need to cause suffering.)
    9 - Demonsoul (this level is unattainable in this initial run of the RP.)

What is the purpose of Conscience? I want the moral decisions a character makes to have weight and consequence. I also want to provide a mechanism that convincingly moves people across a moral spectrum.

How much control over my Conscience will I have? The events that trigger a change in Conscience will be pretty clear. Changes in character Conscience will be announced in this thread by myself in response to decisions at preselected points. It is also possible to change Conscience levels of yourself or another player by receiving a blessing at the end of the trial RP. Under this circumstance, you can only raise or lower Conscience by two levels, and "Demonsoul" is still off limits for now.

So what is "Demonsoul" anyway? When a character reaches Demonsoul, there are a number of effects triggered as a result. I will contact the player privately to reveal what these are. Essentially though, a Demonsouled player will become the antagonist.

Wait! Bree used her blessing to make my character more good-natured! I was enjoying being cruel! Do I have to RP my character differently now? Yes, you do, but since you are distressed about the change, we will dialog and find ways and opportunities to get your character back to where you would prefer them to be. We all want happy RPing!
    Last edited by Boleslav; 02-03-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Arrow Constellations & Fate - an Explanation

Constellations & Fate - an Explanation

In this world, constellations are believed to influence fate. Every player is associated with one sign of the zodiac at the start of the RP.

The Bull, stubborn (thanks imnothere)
    The Dragon, fearless (thanks imnothere)
    The Horse, loyal (thanks imnothere)
    The Owl, insight (thanks imnothere)
    The Cat, agile (thanks imnothere)
    The Raven, artistic
    The Whale, musical
    The Unicorn, noble
    The Swan, elegant
    The Turtle, protective
    The Spider, deceitful
    The Phoenix, optimistic
    The Elephant, compassionate

Allow what you consider to be aspects of the sign in your characterization and interactions. You should also provide a minimum of two hints throughout the story as to what your constellation is.

I will send a PM to each accepted player containing their constellation sign. Keep that information secret. Trust no one.

The goal is to make it to the end of the RP without anyone guessing your constellation. If you succeed in keeping your constellation a secret, then you will be rewarded at the end of the RP. The reward at the end of this RP will be:

A blessing (the ability to petition a divinity for a selfish reward with no negative effects on your conscience level.)

Here's the catch. Anyone can guess your constellation, even people just casually reading the thread. When you wish to report a player's constellation, send me a PM with your claim and your evidence. Two guesses per RP per forum member maximum. Correctly guessing a player's constellation deprives them of the prize at the end of the RP, and allows you to influence that character in the story. You can select a consequence from this list:

I added numbers in case a member successfully reporting a constellation wanted to roll a die randomly. Please note that option one can only be granted under very extreme and exceptional circumstances. I don't like the idea of players investing time and soul into writing only for sudden death.

Constellations are reset between RPs.

Do I choose my own Constellation? Yes! You select the constellation, and send me a PM with the details. If you haven't done this when the RP starts, I'll select a constellation for you based on your application.

Is there a limit to the amount of guessing?
    Each forum member can make two guesses per RP. Not per player per RP, two guesses total.

What is to stop abuse? Me. If I see patterns emerging I will take action. Also, each player's constellation can only be guessed 6 times in total. After that the character is safe for the remainder of the RP and no further guesses count.

How will I know if I am now safe? I will notify the players in the OOC thread.

How will I know if my guess was right or wrong? I will PM you. All guesses are confidential, so if I update the OOC thread to alert the player that their constellation has been guessed, I will do so in a way that protects the correct guesser's privacy.

Do I have to submit evidence with my guess?
    Yes. You must have some credible basis on which to make your claim.
    Last edited by Boleslav; 02-06-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Arrow Sample Character Application

When constructing your app, please bear in mind that your character is a regular, everyday inhabitant of the town. They have a real job and don't possess superhuman powers or skill enhancing equipment - yet.

In your application, please include the following information:

Name (Also nickname, if appropriate)
    Approximate Age (Doubtful that people will know exact ages)
    Job or Trade (Small town economy appropriate)
    Domestic Situation (Homeless? Married? Living in a townhouse or in a farm?)
    Conscience (See post on conscience levels for more information)
    Everyday Appearance
    Skills (type and level)
    Starting Equipment (should be connected to trade)
    Important Background Information (what do we need to know at the start of the RP?)

Equipment

Any equipment gained in this RP is transferable to a future RP campaign, even if you create a totally new character, you can retain the equipment so long as you can explain why the new character came across or inherited it.

As the story progresses from scene to scene it should become normal practice for players to pick up artifacts and equipment to use later. Perhaps a character sneaks a beer stein in one scene (we've all done that in real life), perhaps he picks up a rock in a later scene. I only ask that you keep track of what your character has picked up so I don't get confused.

Equipment can be used in conjunction with power words for varying magical effects.
    Last edited by Boleslav; 01-26-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Arrow Other Relevant Information

Other Relevant Information

Default Other Relevant Information (cont.)

Other Relevant Information (cont.)

I hope to have this RP ready to launch by the start of February. Please check in from time to time to see the above posts take form. I will answer any questions you have on this thread as well.