Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Age1/Age2 Refuge/NoRefuge Upkeep/WhyUpkeep?

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Age 2 has no refuge, so what is the point of an upkeep at all?

Evony should entirely remove upkeep and crank up the food costs of troops.
    Read this the first time and strongly disagreed with you. Read it a second time... and felt you might be right.

Dang it Rota!

Upkeep is a challenge but doesn't keep me coming back to the game. In fact the soaring food prices in conjunction with my need for food makes upkeep a real pain.

You'll have people debating on the basics of price negotiation but honestly food would be like stone (worthless) at that point, and would sell for nothing on the market, so selling it wouldn't be worth your time.
    Last edited by Heatseeker; 03-15-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by japanpimp View Post
    I have been playing Evony long enough to know that most players hardly march troops. Most players simply horde and stockpile troops, as much as they can.
    If armies had no upkeep then limitless size armies would be stockpiled in cities, and never marched. Capping that city would be impossible. Imagine the havoc it would cause for already near impossible HCs to take from players.
    We dont want players just hording limitless amounts of troops into a city. And IF they ever decided tomarch the troops, they could simply buy food or have members send it to them. March, then continue hording.
    This is supposed to be a strategic war game. Not a troop stockpile contest.
    Maybe I'm on a tirade .... but stop complaining.

In Evony, the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. Please tell me otherwise.

I have been playing Evony long enough to know that most players hardly march troops. Most players simply horde and stockpile troops, as much as they can.
    If armies had no upkeep then limitless size armies would be stockpiled in cities, and never marched. Capping that city would be impossible. Imagine the havoc it would cause for already near impossible HCs to take from players.
    We dont want players just hording limitless amounts of troops into a city. And IF they ever decided tomarch the troops, they could simply buy food or have members send it to them. March, then continue hording.
    This is supposed to be a strategic war game. Not a troop stockpile contest.
    yeh a war game, and yet you play from a "colonized position" so wheres the "war prospect" come into it with you?
    GrimReeper
    Presbyter Of Monarchs
    S159

JP- won't really change anything. Now ppl farm to keep what they build and horde troops as you say. If this happens those same ppl will farm to build the troops. if you have any exp at all in attacking then you will now that doesn't matter how many troops a player has. If he doesn't now how to use them then they are worthless. The no upkeep will help players get out or at least stop players form getting into the habbit of farming all day thinking they need to. If you have a target in mind then you will be able to go ahead and go straight at them instead of having to wait for your morning farming runs. And if its as bad as you say then you were in a bad alliance that didn't incourage war.

Rota- I have seen this suggested, no upkeep for more food during march and building troops. Just not as well thought out and from someone who would try and see it through.
    Sig by the lovely Luda
    Available Sigs

good idea BUT your just helping the botters cause and all npcs will be empty,all valleys farmed out 24/7,thats the brutal truth until botters are gone for good altering anything in this manner aids their cause!

Quote Originally Posted by baiter View Post
    good idea BUT your just helping the botters cause and all npcs will be empty,all valleys farmed out 24/7,thats the brutal truth until botters are gone for good altering anything in this manner aids their cause!
    This would actually help real players. Right now if a player farms npcs farmed by bots then that player risks loosing troops. If this were made then a player would just loose the march cost instead of the cost of the upkeep.
    Sig by the lovely Luda
    Available Sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
    Maybe I'm on a tirade .... but stop complaining.

In Evony, the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. Please tell me otherwise.
    I agree that the strong should be able to get stronger.
    But strength should be based on ones thinking ability. Their ability to out plan and out smart the opponent. Strength should not come from unlimited troop numbers. Why don't we just play a war game with 100 troops vs 5 million.

Thanks to Boleslav for the Afro Samurai Signature series.
    I have made a few video guides that may help you.
    Please read the link below.
    My Evony Videos

Well, I agree completely with idea that food sink has to be somewhere where it could limit troop production. But, I disagree that it be in marching. No one will march, and troops will just be horded to the point that there will be no point in attacking anymore. Put it somewhere like actual troop production.

~The world is full of willing people; some willing to work, the rest willing to let them~
    Abdul III on Na4
    Abdul on ss56
    Rome and ROME

I like the idea for how it would benefit me personally but don't think it would be good for the game

Sure, in age 2 there is no refuge, but ad *gasp* JP pointed out, this would still help people turtle even more. The increased cost of march would make people want to march less, lower their ability to farm so that they can march, and in turn would be a turtle-fest.

Evony would lose money in this because vestas would become pointless. I have seen people get that last nudge they needed to buy a package because of the vestas

Although there is no refuge in age2, allies who send troops to your embassy must be fed. With 0 upkeep they could stay forever whereas with upkeep at least the reinfs will return

Default pot calling kettle black

I agree that the strong should be able to get stronger.
    But strength should be based on ones thinking ability. Their ability to out plan and out smart the opponent. Strength should not come from unlimited troop numbers. Why don't we just play a war game with 100 troops vs 5 million.
    this coming from a man that throws mechs at people without any idea how they work or how to layer. maybe your getting wiser about battle mechanics but the fact remains....you were THE GUY with no ability and stacks of troops to send at someone without truely knowing how to use them properly.

Rota.....its a great idea i think, it really would let people play the game in a way where evony might of intended (i know they did not want people hitting npc 24/7). i do think though that with marching costing a lot more food age2 would need to adopt a policy of not removing player built npc every day, once a week per server would be a nice medium.

also...i was thinking about the gem factor (age2) people only really farm in age2 for gems, food is a byproduct of gem farming so people accumulate billions in very short time frames because of gem farming. i surpose it would all depend on the actual amounts of food required to march/train troops and build fields/buildings.

YNWA

RETIRED
    XxGamblexX aka RedEyeJedi
    S137 ~ SS54 ~ NA13 ~ NA21 ~ CA1