Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Evony Players Win Victory Over Cheaters

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    I was just insulted at the laissez faire way JP told the guy to go get a job and live a normal life.
    Ok, fair enough. I have a FEW thoughts on that, but it's no appropriate for this thread.

Flaming CHICKEN!
    Courtesy: Sturm

Quote Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
    You are surprised that when Evony puts out a victory statement about how a cheater has been defeated, the people seemingly side with the cheater? Give me a break.
    Keep in mind that there are a lot of details (the important kind) that aren't included in those (mostly poorly written) articles. While a lawsuit isn't the most popular move, it was a step that occurred, and the favorable result means that we're one step closer to a level playing field, not just in Evony, but throughout the industry for other indies like us.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatseeker
    Regardless of what I think, it is about intellectual property rights-- are coordinates the property of Evony or not? (Evony claims they are)
    Reading the article you posted from Escapist, there's more to it than coordinates.
    Last edited by davemata; 04-03-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Flaming CHICKEN!
    Courtesy: Sturm

Quote Originally Posted by Boleslav View Post
    I've got all the ingredients in my kitchen to make chocolate cake, but if I come home and discover you in my kitchen, making me a chocolate cake, I'm not going to thank you for saving me time, I'm going to smack you with a cricket bat and call the police.

...then I'll eat the cake.
    Does anyone realise just how wonderful this comment was?

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Why is this being labeled as a "victory" for the players? How did this improve game play what so ever?
    It's a victory because evony can pretend that it's fighting botting and getting 300k in the mix

We all know the ToS is not law.
    TOS is the law

Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    I'm rather surprised at the tenor of the thread in general. To be clear, disappointed.
    You are disappointed? Since when did Evony ever earn the loyalty of it's players? Since when have you guys done anything but say pretty words and talk about doing a whole lot of nothing? The only time Evony takes a stand against something is when it has something to gain. Is it surprising? No, that is life and it's not going to change. But don't get on your high horse when evony and those responsible have no one to blame but themselves. The customer comes first? It's pretty much the biggest joke when putting that saying in terms of evony.

A human being has to cough up 300,000 dollars over a game. We can even pretend we aren't in the middle tough economic times, and low employment. Tell me, how is this cause to celebrate? Does evony really deserve a good pat on the back and a job well done?

4. 04-03-2011, 04:30 PM

Reason
    Off-topic, trying to review issue

5. 04-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Reason

6. 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM

Reason

7. 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

So, how did all this happen?
    • We discovered a hacker was maliciously attacking our software in order to sell a "bot" as well as run a private server. Not only is this against federal copyright law, but bots hurt the game for all players who choose to play by the rules.
    • We repeatedly attempted to get the hacker to stop his illegal activities over the course of a year. He repeatedly changed internet service providers to keep his site online and refused to stop his hacking activities.
    • Eventually, we were left with no recourse but to file suit in federal court to get a federal judge to order a stop to his activities. This required us to prove the hacker's activities were illegal. The judge ruled in our favor.

Is this going to stop all botting? I still see bots on my server!
    This is part of our plan to stop botting and other forms of cheating. Our goal is to make Evony a level playing field for everyone. This case only went to court because of how extreme the hackers activities were and because he was using them to turn a profit at our player's expense.

Operation Cerberus will continue to identify and remove bots from the game servers, and we'll be instituting new methods of preventing bots and removing them.
    Is Evony only doing this to make money?
    While all businesses certainly have the goal of making money (and we're no exception), the goal of this case is to stop the activities of a hacker who was making money on the backs of our players, by selling bots and "hacks" that gave cheaters an advantage over non-cheaters. These bots then forced us to suspend the accounts of people using them, which is no fun for anyone. While it is in our best interest to protect our wonderful players, it is also in our players' best interests to be protected. In the end, we don't even expect to recoup our own court costs, much less make any money.
    Legendary Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    Frequently Asked Questions

So, how did all this happen?
    • We discovered a hacker was maliciously attacking our software in order to sell a "bot" as well as run a private server. Not only is this against federal copyright law, but bots hurt the game for all players who choose to play by the rules.
    • We repeatedly attempted to get the hacker to stop his illegal activities over the course of a year. He repeatedly changed internet service providers to keep his site online and refused to stop his hacking activities.
    • Eventually, we were left with no recourse but to file suit in federal court to get a federal judge to order a stop to his activities. This required us to prove the hacker's activities were illegal. The judge ruled in our favor.

I agree with you that by law you were right to go after the hacker, but a 800k suit? If anything this 'hacker' helped keep many players playing evony rather then quitting because of all the bs that surronds this game

Is this going to stop all botting? I still see bots on my server!
    This is part of our plan to stop botting and other forms of cheating. Our goal is to make Evony a level playing field for everyone. This case only went to court because of how extreme the hackers activities were and because he was using them to turn a profit at our player's expense.

Operation Cerberus will continue to identify and remove bots from the game servers, and we'll be instituting new methods of preventing bots and removing them.

No offence but I have not seen any action to remove botters from any of the servers that I play. I dont think that this had anything to do with leveling the playing feild, only way that people can keep up with payers is to bot and the only way that spenders can keep up with bots is to spend more, its a great cycle in evony's books. The only thing that kept this cycle from spiraling out of control was the valley glitch but this was patched

Is Evony only doing this to make money?
    While all businesses certainly have the goal of making money (and we're no exception), the goal of this case is to stop the activities of a hacker who was making money on the backs of our players, by selling bots and "hacks" that gave cheaters an advantage over non-cheaters. These bots then forced us to suspend the accounts of people using them, which is no fun for anyone. While it is in our best interest to protect our wonderful players, it is also in our players' best interests to be protected. In the end, we don't even expect to recoup our own court costs, much less make any money.
    Thank you for admitting that evony did do this in part for the money. Like any good business they saw a chance to make a serious profit so they took it. Is it moraly right to completley screw over some kids life while doing this? No it isnt but the kid was breaking the law and will now pay for it. Yes the 300k may not allow you to make a serious profit but the 830k that you were asking for originaly? That would have covered your legal fees and then some.

I for one dont complelty condone evony for going after this kid and ruining his life as he was using evony's product to make a profit. What bugs me is that they went after someone that promoted their game, and did increase evony profits, and then threw them under the bus when it made fiscal sense to. If evony took care of its customers and listened to their complaints/suggestions then botting would never have become as prominate as it is today. Evony seems to profiit off the botters, dont even try to deny it, and then when a better program comes out the attack the maker of the previous program which is no longer making them a profit. So dont claim this as a 'victory for the players' its a 'victory for the PvP gaming industry' as a precident has been set by which bot creaters will be persecuted. Out of curiousity has there been a case like this before? Or is this a first.
    Last edited by Lucas101; 04-03-2011 at 06:51 PM.

I dont see how anything was answered here but i will go back into my hole and farm some to keep up with the botters that run wild on the real playing field. Congrats on the "victory".

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lazzzzzzzzalicious! View Post
    I dont see how anything was answered here but i will go back into my hole and farm some to keep up with the botters that run wild on the real playing field. Congrats on the "victory".
    Ditto that.

Week 9 voting and Week 10 entries.
    I'm not sure if there was a counterpoint in there. But, if it will make you happy, then I yield the dispute to put an end to this tangent. You win.
    I won!
    Enter the Void - My Video Gaming Forum

So, Dave...

Do you think this successful lawsuit may serve as a warning to dissuade potential, future bot creators? Do you think this judgement will have any affect in the fight against cheaters?

hint: The answer is "yes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzzzzzzzalicious! View Post
    i started to read this and agree with everything rota says. if people just listened to him the forums would be a better place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    Rota is correct.

I don't even understand the question.

Just to be clear we didn't file an "800k suit" or a "300k suit" in fact we did not specify any damages at all. We simply wanted to stop the hacker from operating and to do that we had to prove he had damaged us, which we did. The judge decided the amount of the judgment. As far as I know, we don't expect to see much, if any, of it.
    Legendary Hero

Ofcourse you get that in 1 day

15. 04-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Reason
    Off-topic

16. 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Reason
    Off-topic

17. 04-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Reason
    Off-topic

18. 04-03-2011, 07:12 PM