Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Evony Players Win Victory Over Cheaters

Why is this being labeled as a "victory" for the players? How did this improve game play what so ever? Not endorsing the site, but this is exactly what others have been calling it- propaganda. Instead of making any real progress towards stopping bots, they just pretend like they are on this crussade against bots when in reality the only way to get caught is by reporting the bot, and even that doesn't work half the time.

Getting rid of a site that mapped co-ords of the players doesn't solve any problems Evony has right now. There are 100x bigger problems that Evony should be focusing on, yet the continue to feign like they work for the players satisfaction.

/End Rant.

The reason evony could shut down the site was because they were making a private server which is illegal. If they did not do that then evony would have no legal standing to shut down the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
    The debate here, is whether a machine to find coordinates is an unfair advantage.
    Yes, it is an unfair advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Why is this being labeled as a "victory" for the players? How did this improve game play what so ever? Not endorsing the site, but this is exactly what others have been calling it- propaganda. Instead of making any real progress towards stopping bots, they just pretend like they are on this crussade against bots when in reality the only way to get caught is by reporting the bot, and even that doesn't work half the time.

Getting rid of a site that mapped co-ords of the players doesn't solve any problems Evony has right now. There are 100x bigger problems that Evony should be focusing on, yet the continue to feign like they work for the players satisfaction.

/End Rant.
    ^^ x2

Getting rid of the map is bigger victory for Evony the company, than it is a victory for the players.
    Getting rid of the private server was a bigger coup than most players will recognize. That server would have served as a testing ground for cheaters to perfect their bots and bring them to the real Evony. The end to sales of botting programs on the site is a victory for fair-players.
    Last edited by Rota; 04-02-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzzzzzzzalicious! View Post
    i started to read this and agree with everything rota says. if people just listened to him the forums would be a better place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    Rota is correct.

I don't even understand the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Yes, it is an unfair advantage.

^^ x2

Getting rid of the map is bigger victory for Evony the company, than it is a victory for the players.
    Getting rid of the private server was a bigger coup than most players will recognize. That server would have served as a testing ground for cheaters to perfect their bots and bring them to the real Evony. The end to sales of botting programs on the site is a victory for fair-players.
    Well, a "private" server is against copy-right law, and promotes competition with evony, thereby stealing their market-- it's wrong on every account. I would suggest, however, that thinking about doing something and actually doing it are two different things. That said, the court didn't side with evony without reason. Put simply, they sided with evony because the defendant didn't put in the proper paper-work.

Taking away an independent program designed to help players find coords of cities is in no way against the law, or against the rules of evony.
    Last edited by Heatseeker; 04-02-2011 at 05:50 PM.

BUT, taking away an independent program designed to help players find coords of cities is in no way against the law, or against the rules of evony.
    It is directly against the ToS agreement.
    That program circumvents an intended game mechanic.
    i started to read this and agree with everything rota says. if people just listened to him the forums would be a better place.
    Rota is correct.

It is directly against the ToS agreement.
    That program circumvents an intended game mechanic.
    "use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software, databases or scripts designed to modify the Evony experience"

so, basically he or anyone else has to get the go-ahead from Evony before making a site that "modifies" the evony experience? For instance, if I write a blog that has a guide for how to do well, then I might also go to court for not complying with the Terms of Service agreement?

Furthermore, how do Evony's terms of service apply to law? Is agreeing to them a binding policy, by which if we break such rules, the federal government has leeway to initiate a consequence?

If you read the article, it was about the bootleg copy of Evony they were running, not the mapping part.

"use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software, databases or scripts designed to modify the Evony experience"

so, basically he or anyone else has to get the go-ahead from Evony before making a site that "modifies" the evony experience? For instance, if I write a blog that has a guide for how to do well, then I might also go to court for not complying with the Terms of Service agreement?
    The TOS has no legal binding, only the rules of the game.

Furthermore, how do Evony's terms of service apply to law? Is agreeing to them a binding policy, by which if we break such rules, the federal government has leeway to initiate a consequence?
    We all know the ToS is not law.
    But, breaking the ToS is grounds for being removed from the game. Using programs like the coord finder is grounds for permaban. Every post you make seems to attempt to justify players using his map. Anyone who used his maps to find coords broke the ToS and can be banned. Stop trying to argue that it's okay to cheat, you will not win the fight.
    Rota is correct.

The ability to get away from a harassing player would be lost. Petty players love to crush someone, then continue to hammer the dead city. The intent is to make the player quit, by making it impossible to ever rebuild. Evony does not want players to quit. By teleporting across the map, you can find a haven to settle and rebuild without the multiple daily attacks meant to grind what little you have built down to nothing.

I have heard of players chasing a foe across the server for weeks just out of spite.
    The harassment issue is ridiculous. I'm sure Evony in no way cares if a player is getting harassed for weeks on end, there's plenty of cases of it.

I don't think that the EvMap was to big of a deal myself. If anyhting it just saved a little bit of time in an Evony world filled with long waits.

However, the private server and decision to make a bot for players is what was unforgivable here. If i were Evony and i saw someone create a private server i'd swat them out like a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by .H0bbit View Post
    i understand u trying to explain battle mechanics and so on, and like i said not saying u are wrong, i know people that send the same wave of certain numbers, not cause it works, and they know better waves to do it and better results, but they send it cause they like the look of the numbers.
    The death of Evony.