Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defense guide

Default Defense guide

The key to a good offense is too understand how the mechanics of defense work. There are 2 various wall defense types 5k and compact the differences being the size of the starting battlefield.

5K DEFENSE

5k defense consists of traps/abatis/treb all these wall fortifications set the range of the starting battlefield to 5k and only takes 1 of any of them too accomplish this.

This is the order in which archers attack against a 5k defense
    1. Cav
    2. Cata
    3. Pike
    4. Sword
    5 Warrior
    6. Workers

Ideally you want low layers (20k pike/sword) due too the high range of the battlefield your infantry will go out where your archers can't defend them you can kill over 200k pike with one rainbow against a foe who has 5k defense and high layers.

Surprisingly you don't need much to fend off a rainbow just keep a steady supply of layers coming in. If your hero is much less than your opponent you may want too have more than just 20k. If they are sending multiple rainbows see how much damage the first one does and go from there typically they will never get too your archers as long as you keep all layer types.

One very effective way of utilizing your layers the best is to stash them in your nearby valleys 10k-30k in each valley and just recall them when you need more. another approach is to reinforce yourself every 5-10 Min's with fresh layers. Your enemy can send rainbow after rainbow and will only accomplish killing your sword/pike over and over and never touch your archers. You can do this with as little as 150k archers

The 5k defense is the best online defense in the game but can be picked apart pretty easily if you are offline. This will happen by them clearing your walls basically turning it into compact defense and then send ponies in too wipe you since you have such small layers.

Pros: can defend against rainbows and ponies effectively with minimal casulties
    Cons: susceptible to scout bombs and can be easily taken down if you are offline.

COMPACT DEFENSE

Compact defense focuses on high layers and at least 3 to1 warrior archer ratio if not more. I recommend a minimum of 300k archers so the fight only lasts 1 round. The wall setup for a compact defense are pure AT's and a few rolling log if your so inclined. So NO trebs/abatis/trap. On top of the wall setup you also must have bal's and at least 1 pult these two units will increase the range of the battlefield further and is crucial against cavalry otherwise the cavalry will bypass all layers and go straight too archers. I would recommend at least 20k bal's.

This is the order in which archers attack against a compact defense
    1. AT's (takes quite a few rainbows to take these down and from what ive seen most ppl dont know how to properly attack a CD)
    2. Archers (can also be bal's depends on which of the 2 has a higher value)
    3. Bal's (Be sure not too overkill with this unit archers can take them out quick so its better they target archers before bal's)
    4. Pult's
    5. cav/phract/pike/sword/war in that order i believe

Pros: Takes alot too take down before getting to troops. Highly effective against scout bombs. Best offline defense.
    Cons: Once AT's drop troops start too dwindle away pretty quickly. If you dont have high layers/bals/pult ponies will rip you too shreds.

CONCLUSION

So what is the best defense you may ask. I prefer compact defense due to its versatility remember if you are online all you have to do is build 1 trap/abatis and put your layers in valleys and defend against the rainbows as said earlier.(Timing on how you build your trap/abatis is key if you see a phract wave coming Que up 5-10 abatis to finish a few seconds before it hits)

And if you get overwhelmed just be sure all your cities are loaded up on stone and close gates and regroup since your walls are already tore down your not losing much especially if you have tons of stone.

Now you can take this info too help you in combat. Look at the wall fortifications and plan accordingly. The biggest thing I am seeing the most is you don't have to send 100k waves all the time. If your SR is telling you they have 20k pikes then a full rainbow would be a bust. So send in smaller waves till pike are cleared then go to sword etc... just look at what the archers attack first.No point in losing a full rainbow when 10k can do. Ideally just use the defense guide and work backwards to be effective at combat.

Every setup has a way of being taken down. Understanding the order in which units get attacked is a huge edge.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

excellent post
    i see too many use either defense but have no clue on how to make them work effectively
    NA19 forever

Does anybody actually read this?

i dont get the 5k bit, can anyone help me with this?

Quote Originally Posted by whipazzgod View Post
    i dont get the 5k bit, can anyone help me with this?
    whats the question?

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

5k refers to the range of the battlefield as starting at 5000. Technically it is 5200, but that is not important to this post.
    NA19 forever

Does anybody actually read this?

fantastic post, i will start using these

Awesome Sig by Morgana
    Only death is true, and even the dead need armies...
    Na28(retired)
    Na33(retired)...

Great guide. Sure its left out a ton of variables and knowing Gough, it was intentional. To much information at once will overwhelm most and you miss whats really important. This being the most important

"Every setup has a way of being taken down. Understanding the order in which units get attacked is a huge edge."

So for new players and old ones still working on improving their game, you need to understand the "how" and the "why". Many little changes can hugely effect the outcome of any fight. These are often hard to spot especially when the clock is ticking. When your wave that is normally effective gives 0 return, or your perfect defense was cracked.. Take the time to find out why rather saying "better luck next time". I'll give you a hint.. It wasn't some random Evony "glitch"

Ok so help me understand. What is the philosophy behind the 5k defense. Which of ur units takes out the enemy archers? Is the theory that due to the extended length of the battlefield your archers and ats will be able to use their increased range (due to the fact that ur defending) to wipe out the opponents archers before they get in range of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Salmos View Post
    Ok so help me understand. What is the philosophy behind the 5k defense. Which of ur units takes out the enemy archers? Is the theory that due to the extended length of the battlefield your archers and ats will be able to use their increased range (due to the fact that ur defending) to wipe out the opponents archers before they get in range of you?
    Defending archers have a longer range than attacking archers, because the former gets wall bonus (5% per wall level*) while the latter does not.

* Some say it's 4.5%/lvl; either way it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

With lvl-10 archer tech, defending archers have a range of 1200+600(from archer tech)+600(from wall bonus)=2400, while attacking archers have a range of 1800.

With 5K defense, when these two archers approach each other in the middle of the 5200 battle field, attacking archers get into the shooting range of defending archers, while they (attacking archers) still can't shoot at defending archers (out of range). As the result, defending archers can have one "free" shot at attacking archers. ATs typically do not even get a chance to fire a shot.

The actual situation gets more complicated because the melee units (layers) will slow the advance of both attacking and defending archers. But in most cases, defending archers do get one free shot at attacking archers. Because of this, if you have a large number of defending archers, they can kill all the attacking archers in one shot without any loss.

This free-shot advantage will disappear, if all the 5K-range setters (traps/abatis/def treb) are removed.
    Last edited by goemong; 07-28-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmos View Post
    There is alot of variables when it comes to that it depends on the layer types of both the attacker and defender. Since ranged units stop moving to shoot a target the speed on the different layers plays a huge role when determing when said layer will "bump" another layer or be in range of archers sometimes there is archer tradefire other times defending archers/bals/pult will get free shots. Here is some examples of a free shot and how the layers played a role.
    http://ww.evonyurl.com/pewm11
    http://ww.evonyurl.com/7w5nm0
    battlena29.evony.com/default.html?logfile/20110728/ca/2c/ca2cc55b1f39d7a2b5bc175b29d0332f.xml
    As you notice the size of the layer has little value to the effect it has on a 5k defense thats why i stress low layers with a 5k defense. and as you can see even no layers at times will get the job done but as always experimenting is a must and there is always exceptions to the rules just due to the freakish amount of variables in age 2 .
    Last edited by GoughI; 07-28-2011 at 06:43 AM.