Thread: Defense Guide

Default Defense Guide

Purpose

This guide is for new players who are just coming out of the seven day protection period and are facing for the first time attacks from players looking for easily won resources.

Background

It is assumed that you have spent the last seven days preparing for this. You have built a strong economy and have a healthy hourly flow of resources and gold. You have built as many traps, abatis, and archer towers as possible. You have a truce agreement or two and a handful of other buffs available. You have at least a level 5 beacon tower coupled with a mid level in informatics. You have constructed two or three warehouses per city.

The Strategy

You will be facing overwhelming numbers from your opponents. The key to survival will not be attempting to outgun the enemy. You must protect your assets- both military and resource.

1. Close your city gates. Although you will be vulnerable to enemy scouts, the fact is: you don't have not much of value, anyway. Closing your gates will allow you to conserve your army for offensive operations: the conquest of valleys, raiding barbarian villages, and counter-attacks.

2. Your wall defenses will be decimated by a superior attacker or group attacks. While this is discouraging, you must continue to rebuild your wall defenses. Strike a balance between improving your economy, building military units, and rebuilding wall defenses. The strategy here is to make attacks on your city an expensive and bothersome proposition for aggressors. Their military assets will be better used elsewhere on easier targets.

3. Attacks effect loyalty and public grievance. This is where a healthy economy will come in handy. Use comforting to keep your loyalty up and public grievance down. Disaster relief is an inexpensive way to do this. Reduce your taxes as needed post attack to increase loyalty if you are unable to use comforting.

4. Spend resources on intelligence, namely beacon towers and informatics technology. You will gain acceptable intelligence reports around level 7. If you know the size of the force being sent against you, you will know whether or not to counter attack by opening your gates.

5. Hide your gold and resources. Load transports or workers with resources that you want to keep, then send them to another city or valley. After the attack has passed, recall your transports or workers.

6. Build and upgrade warehouses. Most attackers cannot loot goods under the protection of a warehouse. This is the easiest and most cost effective way to protect your resources. When you are able, research Stockpile technology. This will expand your warehouse capacity. Give emphasis to lumber and iron- the two most valuable and sought after strategic resources.

Counter Attacks and Loss Prevention Strategy

It is a common attack strategy to send a force to wipe out wall defenses, then send a couple of lightly armed forces later to pillage. Close your city gates for the first wave. If your tower indicates a smaller force approaching after the main force, determine whether you can defeat the oncoming wave. Do this by using the exercise function on your rally point. Open your gates and destroy the pillaging force(s). Your tower may be giving you estimates for the oncoming forces. The following chart will be helpful in decoding this:

Few 1-25
    Pack 25-50
    Lots 50-100
    Horde 100-250
    Throng 250-500
    Swarm 500-1k
    Zounds 1k-2.5k
    Legion 2.5k-5k
    Bulk 5k-10k
    Giga 10k+

Scout your enemy's valleys and check for occupying forces. If you can spare the manpower, attack undefended valleys. Withdraw your forces after your counter attack. This will hamper production of the very resources being used to attack you. It will force your opponents to dispatch forces to retake the valley. These forces will be unavailable to attack you.

Lastly, use your Truce Agreement item. This item will not be effective on forces that are already inbound. You will receive a 12 hour reprieve from attacks, but you will be unable to scout or attack others. I suggest applying the truce agreement immediately after protection expires. An extra 12 hours of immunity will allow you further develop your economy and military assets.

Diplomacy and Alliances

A very good way to discourage attacks is to join an alliance. Look for one well established in your area and contact the officers via mail. There may be conditions for entry: prestige, gold, resources. An strong alliance is a good deterrent and your alliance may garrison troops in your cities to aid your in your defense. Your alliance may also provide resources for you to improve your defenses.

Contact those who are attacking you with mail. They may be under the impression that you have abandoned your city. Tell them that you are an active player, and a new player. You may be offered a spot in an alliance. You may buy yourself some time. If they are aggressive, stall them. Ask for some time to consider your options. Do not pay tribute. Any resources you give to other players may be used against you!

Conclusion

It is possible to become strong even under constant attack from others. Be patient. Do not be discouraged. You will prevail and soon you will be able to repay those who ruthlessly attacked you in kind.

Use sound strategy, be consistent, involve others, counter attack
    Last edited by cha1n89; 07-07-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    If i helped u all u got to do is +rep

BTW i know u all dig my picture ♥♥♥♥♥

5. Hide your gold and resources. Use the marketplace: place a high bid on an expensive commodity, ie. 500 unit price for lumber. Hit the max button, then post. Your resources will be held in the marketplace until you cancel the bid. This is known as banking your resources and is the safest way to hold on to your gold while under attack.
    I am pretty sure this is fixed now, attackers will be able to plunder resource markets as long as they're not sold/on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by GermainZ View Post
    I am pretty sure this is fixed now, attackers will be able to plunder resource markets as long as they're not sold/on the way.
    It is, but if you are online, you can sell all your res, then buy it all back, and while it is transporting to your city, it cant be taken (so use when attack is less than 30 mins away).

Can always send out resources to valleys, as long as they arent under attack, and recall later.

I guess this was well put together... Nice for the noobs if they check the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImInsane View Post
    Well, if you are gonna put it that way, it kinda means that you pay for something that you NEVER receive. As your game account doesn't belong to you at all, you pay Evony for a service, Evony receives the payment AND Evony receives the service you ordered.
    Have truer things been said?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat_93 View Post
    It is, but if you are online, you can sell all your res, then buy it all back, and while it is transporting to your city, it cant be taken (so use when attack is less than 30 mins away).

Can always send out resources to valleys, as long as they arent under attack, and recall later.
    fixed.........
    If i helped u all u got to do is +rep

BTW i know u all dig my picture ♥♥♥♥♥

Isn't this like the same thing as virks noob guide??

Actually, about leaving gates closed (only if you have a good amount of scouts) i say leave them open. your scouts will fight their scouts and you have a better chance of them not knowing what you have. if you can handle their attack with troops, keep gates open. if you can't, close it before it hits. this will make them think you have no troops (if they didn't have enough scouts to scout you) and if they didn't get to scout you, while they are lowering loyalty, make as many troops as possible, so when your loyalty gets to 15 or lower, open the gates and start using praying. the key is to not bld wall defences while you are being attacked so they think your not online or idle. so just bld troops. but if they have more scouts than you, just leave gates closed and do what you said at the top. otherwise, good thread for newbies

also, still use the marketplace to sell the resources and buy them back. most people just want the resources, so doing that will get most people to back off. also, sell the resources BEFORE they scout you, or else they will know what you were doing and wait a day or 2 then attak you again when you buy them back.
    Last edited by bob8willie; 07-07-2011 at 05:53 PM.

U should have titled this guide for ppl coming out of beginners protection instead of defense guide

I missed the part where this was any sort of defense guide... This is more of a, "Well, you're new to Evony, so here's a shot at not getting 0ed on the off chance that you have lazy neighbors..."

There are some good suggestions in this guide, but really, Should you make a guide for inexperienced men on their wedding night?

I'd rather see players sink or swim after playing a couple of servers. If a player cannot figure it out on their own, they're not playing on the same level, as they probably don't have as well-rounded of an understanding of certain vital concepts as they could if they went through the learning process...

Sorry for ranting, and good job taking the time to put this together, I'm not trying to be negative, but I am in a bad mood from some players being complete space-cadets in-game, due to their lack of experience and (lack of) willingness to take the initiative to learn!

^^Look Ma, Voulkos' first siggy done outside of MS Paint!!