Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to make a good Game Suggestion Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eating a cat
    Posts
    2,259

    Default How to make a good Game Suggestion Thread

    *Note* I am not sure where this belongs but I saw other thread guides here so its here for now *End Note*

    How to make a good Game Suggestion Thread

    The first thing that one should do when contemplating a publication of an idea that they have had regarding evony is use the check for Stickies and then use Advance Search feature to make sure that this idea has not been suggested before.

    After doing this you are ready to make a thread to promote your idea. The first thing to do is to grab an extra post after the OP just in case you need it.

    If the idea has not been published on forums previous then by all means go ahead and make a thread outlining your idea, but there are some strategies to avoid your thread getting turned into a flame-fest.

    Why are threads derailed

    Most times that a Game Suggestion thread is derailed beyond saving is when constructive criticism is unable to take place. This normally occurs because of a small number of reasons. Either the idea has already been suggested, or you have made a thread outlining an idea that is four sentences in length with no counterarguments or depth. However, the biggest error one can make is not providing counter arguments to their original idea and addressing them in the Opening post.

    By introducing these counterarguments it is possible for the readers to find flaws which can be discussed within the thread, while keeping them on topic. Why is this important? Well quite simply the idea you have thought up is not perfect, and the forums are here so that these ideas can be built upon, think of this as the first test.

    What is the end-goal of the thread?

    While the OP may believe that the idea being presented is flawless, it never is, or at least I have never seen on that is. The purpose of the forum is to post the idea and receive feedback. If all feedback is negative this doesn?t mean that this idea is terrible, rather it means that you either did a terrible job in the OP of establishing counterarguments or that your idea isn?t presented in a idea that is fully grasped by the general public. Even though you may be a PhD student doesn?t mean that everyone else is ...

    Similarly, if feedback is all positive then it doesn?t mean that your idea is perfect. What it means is again that you provided too general of an idea that didn?t allow for discussion. While this statement may look moronic consider that if everyone agrees with your idea and it isn?t introduced into the game the next morning what was the point of posting it?

    Always remember that at the end of the discussion you want to have an idea that has passed the strict standards of the Evony Community, you also want to have an idea that has been looked at and discussed from every possible perspective and as a result is very sound.

    Dont be arrogant in addressing arguments

    Once the arguments provided have began to pour in, dont be a d-bag when addressing them. Rather, consider them in line with yours and use them to further your idea. Instead of blatantly sticking to your OP because in your mind its perfect, defend it. But defend it taking the arguments provided by the readers and use them to either show why they are wrong, or why they are right. Both ways strengthen the OP and the general direction that the thread is going in.

    Perspective ? Use it

    When thinking up counterarguments always remember that there are multiple perspectives which must be addressed. How will this impact Evony profits? How does this influence gameplay? What about possible exploits? Do the coiners or free players get the advantage? Etc. Etc. Use this tool to construct not only your thread but also counterarguments to the readers of the thread. This will make your idea much more convincing.

    Set the Thread Pace

    If you make a thread with half the words misspelled then those replying are going to be inclined to use the same type of language. If you respond to arguments in a argumentative manner, using numbers, reasoning and logic where appropriate then the thread will continue in a good direction. Remember that it is your duty as the OP of a game suggestion to keep the tempo of the thread going in the right direction, if u allow another poster that right then what was your idea no longer is in the eyes of the readers.

    Modify the Idea

    As the idea begins to evolve with feedback from the readers then make the appropriate edits in the post that you reserved right after making the OP. This will help you and the readers follow what has happened since the introduction of the idea, and check its progress.

    Opinions and Bias

    Remember that everyone is entitled to their opinions, also remember that some posters may be biased against you and will flame you even if you say that their mother is the greatest female on the planet. If someone is posting their opinion let them and dont harass them because of it. Instead, use these opposite views to perhaps find flaws in your opening argument. As for those with Bias, or those that resort to dragging up past threads, either get the thread locked, ignore them or again use numbers, logic, and reasoning to show why they are wrong. This way you avoid a thread getting derailed.

    Also it seems that the do unto others as they have done onto you rule applies around here, so if you have spammed, trolled, or derailed threads then dont be surprised to see familiar faces doing the same to you. i c u staples

    Trolls and Mods

    Sometimes there are a bunch of trolls that decide to hijack a thread just for the sake of doing so. If this happens then get in touch with a green, blue or purple to close the thread ASAP. Don?t count on the mods to actively delete the troll posts as they come, they have way too much to do rather then sit around and do that. Get the thread closed and then re-opened when the trolls have gone back to their caves.

    What to Never do if a thread goes south

    Lets face it some ideas seem great when they are first composed but are quickly shown to be terrible. If so then just let the thread die instead of bumping it. Other times the thread is overrun with trolls, don?t threaten them and then just re-post the thread, as nothing good will come out of it. Just remember that your idea is the first post in the thread, and there is no way that can be ruined by others.

    Links -

    Advanced Search
    http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?t=145531

    Forum FAQ in general
    http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?t=165372
    Last edited by Lucas101; 08-09-2011 at 04:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eating a cat
    Posts
    2,259

    Default

    Specific examples will be posted later if I can be bothered to find some and get OP permission

  3. #3

    Default

    I disagree on this point:
    Why are threads derailed
    Actually, they are derailed for a simpler reason. Because Staples exists.
    I'd suggest you add that part ("WARNING: WATCH OUT FOR STAPLES VIEWING YOUR THREAD") to your guide.

    EDIT: Oh, snap. Forgot about the ninja text.
    Last edited by GermainZ; 08-09-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Ninja'd
    SOTM #2 - Congratulations to WarSimi!

    Create custom forum themes | Germain's Evony Forum Customizer
    Germain's Evony Calculator (GCALC) | 20+ features (v2.7)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hostiles Dungeon
    Posts
    2,610

    Default

    he was trying to making a helpful thread to make less spam threads of similar ideas. Saying staples derails threads just shows that you do it more
    Sig by the lovely Luda
    Available Sigs

  5. #5

    Default

    I hate seeing noobs post an idea that is crap or has been suggested 1000 time before.Nice thread
    Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    I'm going to party like it's 1999.
    Server 188 - Fear

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy the 5 View Post
    he was trying to making a helpful thread to make less spam threads of similar ideas. Saying staples derails threads just shows that you do it more
    Nobody beats Staples.
    SOTM #2 - Congratulations to WarSimi!

    Create custom forum themes | Germain's Evony Forum Customizer
    Germain's Evony Calculator (GCALC) | 20+ features (v2.7)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    At the blacksmith, sharpening my banaxe
    Posts
    9,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GermainZ View Post
    Nobody beats Staples.
    I beat Staples.



    Lucas, this is great! I just might sticky this haha.

    The wheels of survival are greased more readily by easy lies than hard truths.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The last Historic Poster hideout
    Posts
    6,563

    Default

    I would support a sticky for this thread


    My only suggestion is to add a tiny few tweaks to some of the guide sub topics, and possibly a tl;dr

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eating a cat
    Posts
    2,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reasoner View Post
    I would support a sticky for this thread

    My only suggestion is to add a tiny few tweaks to some of the guide sub topics, and possibly a tl;dr
    Thanks! I thought I might be getting a bit too wordy in the OP but I actually left out half of what I was going to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by SickbyDefinition View Post
    I beat Staples.
    Lucas, this is great! I just might sticky this haha.
    If this thread was granted sticky status I would be as honored as one can be from having a thread stickied

    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy the 5 View Post
    he was trying to making a helpful thread to make less spam threads of similar ideas. Saying staples derails threads just shows that you do it more
    Thanks for the support ...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •