Page 3 of 350 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: King's Knight

Julian had also watched the dragon's approach, from a rather unseen corner, and watched it leave as well. The old fool doesn't know what sort of trouble it's just got itself into...

He strode outside, now out more in the open, and watched carefully as the dragon flew off, and determined an approximate direction to go--that way.

He wasn't thinking at all about the bounty he would get from the townfolk from helping to kill the dragon...He was thinking about all of the gold the dragon would be sitting on back in his lair. That was a bounty fit for a king...

But he needed help...Or, as his people would say of other, weaker people, "The extra body."

He walked back to the tavern to fetch his horse...He needed some extra supplies, just in case.
    Last edited by Cosmic Fury; 08-12-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

Inside my own little corner, on the crossway of sanity and chaos.

About what she would gauge as two-thirds of the way toward the middle of the woods, Fanis had to admit the going was a bit rougher than what she had counted on, but not by much. A few dead ends on the path brought a bit more gold, and more wood sprites, packs of forest wolves, and a few large toads. She didn't mind that part at all, since she also gained more health and magic potions. Not to mention...!

*Level up, Fanis Sine. You are now level 8*

Wiping her brow, she smiled. "I do love level grinding!"

Before she could get any further, the sounds of a hard battle rang out. Picking up the gold left by the last pack of wolves, she made her way in a hurry toward the sound.

Hindered by another couple of spawns of toads and wolves, and looting, she finally made her way to the center of the forest. She saw three others had gotten there before her. She also saw the reason for the battle. One very giant willow stood in front of the trio, using roots and branches to swing out at them. A flash of white caught her eye, and she smiled a bit broader. Of course. The guardian of the herb. Wonder if those three could use a hand, or a few spells?

The male humanoid berserker of the group was doing the most damage, with his war ax. He was also the most bruised and battered. A female elven ranger kept up her arrow barrage, while the third 'person' with wings that she couldn't readily identify kept ducking and whacking away with a shining sword.

She drew a bit closer to the group, and targeted the tree first. After paralyzing the tree first, she focused in on keeping the berserker healed. It was easier with the new levels, but she still had to break out the magic potions every so often.

Between keeping the tree from moving, healing, and trying to restore her magic, she didn't see a root snake up behind her. Only the sound of an arrow hitting wood caused her to turn and see it, wriggling away. Frowning hard, she cast another paralyze spell at the tree, not wanting a repeat of that.

Finally, she heard a sharp crack, followed by a loud wailing. The Willow Guardian pitched forward onto the ground. It missed hitting the group, but barely. After a few moments, it vanished, leaving items in it's wake, including four larger sacks of gold, health and magic potions, and a new bow and staff.

*Level up, Fanis Sine. You are now level 9*
    Last edited by Fallbreeze; 08-12-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Special Props To Don Ezio for this!

In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.

Frederick walked past the mayor as everyone was a couple people were asking him about the dragon's lair and where it was. The mayor mentioned something about it being in the mountains... of course. And apparently whoever slew the dragon would be knighted by the king.

A knighthood... thought Frederick. That's a pretty high level accomplishment. The weakest knights I can think of are like level 60...

Considering the reward, he figured it'd be better to kill the beast sooner rather than later. He walked off on his own, heading in roughly the direction the dragon had flown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigilstone17 View Post
    Holeypaladin is a pretty cool guy.
    I like swords.

Having obtained his supplies quickly, "Furian" figured that the somewhat-inhospitable townsfolk would turn more towards expelling folk like him out of the town, rather than worrying about some stupid dragon. In that light, he decided it was time to pick up as many goods as he could in this town and then scram.

At any rate, he had swifty purchased more herbs, a few healing potions, and a good supply of food, to last him more than enough for this trip...But it hadn't been cheap. He had also bought a high-end throwing knife along with all of his goods, so his gold was low...But that part could easily be fixed, especially at his relatively high level.

He hurried out of town on his trusty horse, and into the woods he went, in an effort to go in a somewhat-straight line in the direction of his target, half-hoping to get some back-up for the inevitable battle--he knew he would more than likely be toast if he was the dragon's only target.

After an hour or two of hard riding, he paused by a small group of people who had just defeated an enemy and gotten a good amount of gold and other miscellaneous items from it...

From his position, there was little need to remain in the shadows. Being out in a clearing, he would be seen atop his horse any day, by anyone. Right now, it was all about appearance, and right now he wanted to look...intimidating. So he remained where he stopped, like a statue of sorts.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

Once he had cleared the sight of the other players, Frederick towards where the dragon had flown. "There's one narrow path leading up that mountain..." he commented. "The direct route would lead through that forest... but there's too many annoying little pests inside. Be faster to take a slight detour and go around."

He glanced around once more to make sure no one else saw him before bolting off at a run. A very, very fast run.
    I like swords.

Fanis gripped her new staff in hand, feeling the small power boost from it. With the bag of gold, and the magic potions that she could carry, she was more than ready to go back to town and sell her old staff and get a better cloak.

She also bent down to grab the herb, feeling slightly flushed with triumph. There, my quest for the day is almost complete.

At the sound of a horse's impatient snort, she looked up and saw one of the figures from the tavern sitting on it. All but the elven 'companion' walked off without noticing the figure on the horse. The elf ranger took one look, and vanished in the opposite direction.

Feeling a bit trapped, Fanis nodded a hello to the figure, and started walking back towards town. She didn't figure she'd get very far, but she could hope he wouldn't decide just to blast her into oblivion.

"Going this way?" Julian had already taken too much notice of this new stranger to simply let her walk away without even saying anything.

He knew that he had the advantage of speed at this given moment, but he hoped he wouldn't have to press it in order to get the other to talk. No doubt, she was a newbie, well, sort of one, judging by the items she had.

"Don't worry, I won't try to loot you, much less try to do something...immature." He smiled, and then continued. "However, there's a massive reward from my present mission, but I need a few people to help out with it. If you would like a good cut in the vast amount of gold involved, I'd be happy to oblige--that is, if you make it all the way through, and complete the mission I have at hand..."

He simply sat still on his horse, and waited for an answer. One extra person, even as a five-second distraction, was better than nobody at all to help, and for this particular mission, he was more than willing to recruit any sort of person on the side--to assure that his chances of survival went from almost none, to merely slim.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

Fanis' heart nearly stopped at the sound of the stranger's voice. Wait a sec, that voice sounds incredibly familiar...! Trying to keep a straight face, as she realized who it MIGHT belong to, she bowed.

"Now, what would a simple low level White Mage be able to do to aid you in your quest, sir?" In this case, she figured the polite tone, as a lower to a higher was particularly apt...

As he approached the slope of the mountain entrance, Frederick noticed a large... hill giant, looked like. "Huh..." he said. "I guess I'm not gonna be able to get past him."

He tried to gauge the giant's level... level 30, it seemed. Well, if he was going to go dragon slaying, he couldn't let a silly giant get in his way.

Drawing his sword, he began to rush toward the giant. The giant swung a massive club downward, but Frederick leaped to the side, evading the blow, before jumping up into the giant. A swift sword stroke as he lept into the air cut into the giant's throat and arteries, sending spouts of blood into the air as the beast fell to the ground, bleeding to death.

*You are now level 16. Obtained achievement "giant slayer" by slaying a giant 20 levels higher. Unlocked advanced class "red wizard". Reclass now?*

"Yeah... sounds good," said Frederick.

*Level reduced to level 1 red wizard.*

Shrugging, Frederick said to himself, "Well, whatever." He then quickly looted what he could of the giant's corpse and headed up the hill.
    Last edited by Holeypaladin; 08-12-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    I like swords.

"In this noble quest in which I am volunteering to undertake, there will be people who will more than likely get hurt. I will not lie: even I won't likely survive if I go and challenge the villain alone." He styled his tone in the ancient, grand way of speaking, at least among his nearly-extinct people.

"I have yet to introduce myself: I am called Furian, and as far as I know, I am the last of my own, and wished to be remembered as someone other than a strong and feared person...Not only that, but if I die, I want to die rich."

In a Furian's mind, rich meant more than what humans considered as wealth. Wealth to a man like him meant literally having enough gold even to invite a random stranger to roll around in to his heart's content...And right now, considering his level, he was about broke.
    Last edited by Cosmic Fury; 08-12-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Formerly known as Jurnis