Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Protect Your Evony Account

Quote Originally Posted by BadManStor View Post
    never thought of that.
    changing it now to make it strange and wacky so no one will figure it out.
    Most people don't, and that's why I made this guide. Glad it helped

It's not really supposed to be 'strange and wacky' though... The word or phrase is supposed to be something memorable to you. The symbols and other stuffs are to mess up the hackers. Once you get a rhythme or preference for changing the words into strong passwords, they should become incredibly easy to remember and type in.

For example, my passwords are usually around 15 chars and I can type them in without looking at the keyboard in less than two seconds.

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    "
    - Albert Einstein

Something new has come to light where people using Xbox have been able to hack other peoples accounts so I have been told. When someone talks in World Chat or talks in Pink to an enemy they can be subject to this hack.
    What are your thoughts on this?

I want to add a few tips that can be very handy if your account IS compromised.

ALWAYS make sure the email address linked to you account is valid! This allows you to reset your password if needed. Also use a different password for your email address and for your login so if you are hacked they can only get one or the other!

Use a security code! This prevents someone from changing the contact email on your account without permission!
    Give Straight Amulets, Remove the Packaging from Facebook Gifts!
    http://www.causes.com/causes/574667

Quote Originally Posted by skipppy View Post
    Something new has come to light where people using Xbox have been able to hack other peoples accounts so I have been told. When someone talks in World Chat or talks in Pink to an enemy they can be subject to this hack.
    What are your thoughts on this?
    This doesn't seem viable to me unless they're hacking Evony itself... Even if it is true, there's not a lot you (The Player) can do about it. With the exception being: report suspected hackers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElfFromSpace View Post
    I want to add a few tips that can be very handy if your account IS compromised.

Use a security code! This prevents someone from changing the contact email on your account without permission!
    New tips are welcome But the first two you've mentioned are already included in the guide.

In regards to the security code, it's not as important as what has already been mentioned. If these hackers have the ability to compromise a strong password, a four digit number-only code isn't going to do much. However, it would be a viable option if your account was compromised via the wrong people learning your password. I'll include it in the guide, thanks
    Last edited by eric0095; 11-19-2011 at 09:22 PM.

"
    - Albert Einstein

Hmm.. I'm sorry but I just don't see anything about having a valid email in your guide. I know a lot of people who have had severe account problems and their accounts were linked to old, inactive email addresses. I've started walking people through the steps to change their facebook passwords to valid email addresses and how to put in a secondary email on evony's login since it won't let you change the login email.

And yes, the security code is mostly useful for people whose passwords were compromised by giving it out, either on purpose or through a keylogger. I think this happens far more often than actual hackers.

Wait, I see it! But you did not address the issue of actually having a valid email address. LOL. I'm kinda shocked when I find people using gaming email addresses..... that don't even exist! Fine if they never need a password reset, but very risky indeed!

"3) Remember to change your account password frequently. Even if your account was somehow compromised, you can lock out password stealers. In addition, make sure your email password is not the same as your evony account password, and that it is also changed frequently (Every four months). For that matter, all your accounts on the interwebz should have different passwords. In case one is compromised, there is no domino effect. It is also recommended that you create a gaming email. This way, sensitive information ($$$) is never in danger."

Define "don't even exist". As in, they've forgotten their password for those emails, but use them anyways?

"
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by eric0095 View Post
    Define "don't even exist". As in, they've forgotten their password for those emails, but use them anyways?
    Yes, you'd be surprised how many members are using accounts for which the email address is no longer valid. Belongs to an old ISP, game email accounts deleted for inactivity or passwords forgotten, etc. Or members who are given an account which I know is not encouraged by evony, but I believe is not a violation of the rules so long as no money changes hands and the member then only plays one per server. But these accounts are then at risk if the owner does not have access to that email account.

Dont do the things this guide tells to you, if you will make passwords like this he will hack you cause he will know what kind of password you have

Quote Originally Posted by ElfFromSpace View Post
    Yes, you'd be surprised how many members are using accounts for which the email address is no longer valid. Belongs to an old ISP, game email accounts deleted for inactivity or passwords forgotten, etc. Or members who are given an account which I know is not encouraged by evony, but I believe is not a violation of the rules so long as no money changes hands and the member then only plays one per server. But these accounts are then at risk if the owner does not have access to that email account.
    Well... I think they'd know they wouldn't have access to the email account, wouldn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by HardStyler View Post
    Dont do the things this guide tells to you, if you will make passwords like this he will hack you cause he will know what kind of password you have
    If only I could still red-rep. Seriously though, how would I know what kind of password they would have? I don't know what word/phrase they're using. I don't know which symbols/numbers they like using. AND I don't know which letters are capitalized or not. All I know is that those that follow this guide have strong passwords.

"
    - Albert Einstein