Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puzzle #5 Special Edition

Default Puzzle #5 Special Edition

This is a different puzzle from the previous four and not much of a battle mechanics but I hope this could provide the same level of challenge to the smartest players of Evony. My puzzles do include techniques, skills or info that everyone in one way or the other hasn't encountered yet.

An ally asked me to send a wave to clear the AT's of an offline player. I said to him I could send 100k of mixed archers and pults (there was at least a pult or an archer) with a 400 attack hero but without any war or ivory horn. He told me to reduce my pults by 80% or 4/5 so I would exactly just clear the AT's since my troops would just get 1 shot at them (there were enough defending troops to kill even 100k pults in 1 round). Instead, I sent a pure archer wave that exactly matched the damage if I were to send his recommended wave. How many archers did I send and how many AT's were there?

Notes: for some archer-pult combo, the damage on AT's could be 1 higher due to round-up method employed by Evony. I did use dxcalc to calculate the number of AT's but as long as you provide the correct principle behind this, it doesn't matter to me.

This could be relatively easy for some so mail me your answer instead so as not to spoil the fun for others. Good luck.
    Last edited by Jeffrox; 10-05-2011 at 02:59 AM.

So far, none has ever made a breakthrough with this one.

You might think this involves a lot of trial and error that will bore you to death. There is no trial and error involve unless you consider finding the number of AT's a trial and error method. It involves a simple equation akin to finding the right mix of balls/pults when you want to deal the maximum possible damage against defending archers.

See the shadow behind you? That's not me.

Can you please make the question easier to understand? Sorry I am not very good at word problems. From the sound of it you want us to tell you how many ats pure archers can kill in a single round with a 400 atk hero. That seems wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oro View Post
    Can you please make the question easier to understand? Sorry I am not very good at word problems. From the sound of it you want us to tell you how many ats pure archers can kill in a single round with a 400 atk hero. That seems wrong to me.
    The real challenge here is to find the number of archers I sent. If you get the amount, then you get the ATs they could take down in 1 round alone. Round 1 to be specific.

My initial wave was a mix of archers and pults totaling 100k. But my ally asked me to reduce the number of pults by 80% (that meant, I wouldn't be sending 100k troops). Eventually, I deviated and sent a pure archer wave since it exactly matched the amount of damage (compared to my ally's recommended wave). I did not state that I sent 100k archers. Just pure archers that can do the same amount of damage. NO more no less.
    Last edited by Jeffrox; 10-07-2011 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristobin View Post
    it you want us to tell you how many ats pure archers can kill in a single round with a 400 atk hero.
    Here's the summary similar to Oro's (sent thru PM):

Initial wave: Unknown number of pults + Unknown number of archers = 100k
    Ally recommended wave: Unknown number of pults decreased by 80% + previous unknown number of archers < 100k
    Final wave: pure archers of unknown quantity (logically different from the first two waves) that matched exactly the amount damage vs the ally recommended wave (which happens to be of unknown quantity also).

Calculate the amount of archers in the pure archer wave.

I bet he doesnt do anything and waits for the defender to port

Join ' Merge Servers on Evony ' in facebook
    http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?...ion+experience - battle mech.. nice guide for beginner's
    trying to become #1 joker on evony forums
    please help the BadManS joker Cause.. by clicking the REP button today ... lol

If you can present a Mathematical equation to prove your calculation and not solely benefit from battle calculators, that would be a lot convincing to the Evony community. You don't need to be genius. A simple Algebraic manipulation would do unless of course if even Algebra sounds alien to you.

Solution PM'ed.

Jeffrox, have you played any Age2?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfgangMA View Post
    Solution PM'ed.

Jeffrox, have you played any Age2?
    You're doing great.

I replied fully via PM.

Congratulations to Oro and WolfgangMA for answering this right.

For simplicity (this is not a thorough Mathematical solution):

Let A = number of archers in the initial wave
    C = number of catapults in the initial wave

such that A + C = 100k

Damage = number of units * base attack * E
    where E is common factor for both archers and pults that take into account the hero, attack bonus, techs (all lvl 10)

Damage of 1 archer = 120 * E = 120 E
    Damage of 1 pult = 600 * E = 600 E

Damage of ally recommended wave = A * 120 E + C * (20%) * 600 E

= 120 A E + 120 C E
    = 120 E (A + C)

replacing 100k for A + C

= 120 E (100k)

since 120 E = 1 archer damage

= 100k archer damage

so, whatever the initial combo, when the pults are reduced by 80%, the damage will always end up equivalent to 100k archers in 1 round.