Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break: Welcome to Caara Island (Story)

Default Break: Welcome to Caara Island (Story)

Chapter 1: The New Girl

Only another mission, this is what I keep telling myself as I try to sleep at night. I lay awake all night in bed staring at the ceiling fan spinning in slow motion. In my mind, the blades of the fan turn to knives. Blood rains down on my face and I can hear the screams of the dead. It’s only another mission.

I roll over on my side and close my eyes. The sound my female guardian talking to her husband in the next room rings in my ears. She’s planning to go to the summer festival tomorrow, laughing and talking about how great it’s going to be. Her voice is so annoying. It’s as if she’s had the same cold for years now. I cover my face with my pillow to block out the sound. All I can think about is how blind everyone in this city seems to be.

We try to pretend as if nothing is wrong. Every year, we host carnivals and festivals in the summer, picnics in the fall, and pie eating contests in the spring. It distracts everyone. We pretend this is just our little piece of paradise in a bleak world. Yet that couldn't be further from the truth. No matter how hard we try to live normal lives, no one can escape the truth: our island will never be safe until the monsters known as the Konadai are gone for good. For this dream to come true, we have to harvest the cure.

The sun is bright, making the early evening warmer than normal. I stare at myself in the public restroom mirror, listening to children and their mothers behind me. I dip my hands under the cool running water, and then splash some on my face as if I am trying to wash away my secrets. I can’t stay in here forever. I walk towards the restroom doors, my red high heeled boots clicking on the linoleum floor. I turn towards the mirror for one last look. A strand of my long orange hair falls into my face. I could have cut it shorter, but I like having something I can throw around. I push open the restroom entrance door and make my way into the crowd. Since the Caara Island Summer Festival is well under way, no one really notices me. Nor does anyone really care.

Bright colorful lights hang from every pole, inviting the people to come and participate in the special events. Banners flutter in the wind from every booth and street post, advertising the events and food the summer festival has to offer. The colorful signs mean nothing to me. The same ones appear year after year advertising vendors with cheap prizes or some cook selling his finest junk food. Only one sign shows some real meaning. It is the recruiting poster at the Caara Island Eradication Squad booth. The poster is big enough to read from the other side of town. I take a moment to study the sign before moving on. The black background of the poster forces the large red letters to jump in your face.

“Protect the city, protect your family. Join the Caara Island Eradication Squad. Together, we can reclaim our island once and for all. Signups will be held every day before and after school.”

I continue to push through the crowds to the nearest quiet place. The smells of fresh buttery popcorn and sweet hot crepes fill my nose. I have no time to take in the enjoyment of the activities; I am on a quest to find a place to clear my head.

As I look around the streets, I can see the scattered faces of men wearing black suits. They seem to watch me, but their sun glasses give away nothing. They don’t bother me; I know exactly who they are. I smile at each one as I pass, whether they are looking at me or not.

I’m so busy watching the men that I don’t notice the boy standing in my path. I ran face first into his back and fall backwards on the ground.

"Oh, excuse me," I say softly. "I didn't see you there."

The tall boy turns around quickly. He looks at me with a concerned look in his brown eyes. Kneeling down to me, he extends out his hand and smiles. I hesitate, but then take his hand into mine. As he helps me up, he places his free hand below my arm and pulls me up on my feet.

"Oh no problem, I barely felt it." His slight country accent sends chills racing through my spine.

He brushes a lock of his long dark hair behind his ear.

I give him a sweet smile as an attempt to shake off the chills that are now traveling to my knees.

"Well, I need to go, nice meeting you."

"Wait," the boy grabs me by the arm. I clinch my fist, ready to punch him, but the way he looks at me makes the anger in me dissipate. Can’t he see I just want to leave?

"My name's Konan Yodobashi.”

"It's nice to meet you, Konan."

Tilting my head to the side, I notice two other boys playing around behind him.

"Who are your friends?" I ask Konan, loud enough for all three boys to hear. A cheerful wolf demon pokes his head from around Konan and waves.

“That’s Fang,” says Konan pointing at the wolf boy. I can see why they call him Fang. “And the dumb looking one is Nevin.”

Konan and I both share a small laugh at the joke. Nevin frowns at the comment then slaps Fang on the back hard, causing his drink almost to spill.

Fang growls as he stumbles to the side. He bares his sharp teeth with his top lip quivering. Nevin takes a few steps back. From the look on his face, I can tell he isn’t sure how serious Fang is right now.

Suddenly I feel a tingly sensation, but it’s not from Konan. The feeling is different, an eerie chill. I look over my shoulder and see another man in a black suit staring straight at me. None of the boys seem to notice him, and that seems for the best. There’s no need for them to know I have men watching my every move.

I need to get out of here quick, so I decide to end the conversation. Before I can open my mouth to speak Konan’s voice fills my ears, nearly causing me to melt. I shake off the feeling the best I can. There is no way I can feel attracted to this boy, I can’t fall for anyone. The organization will not allow any distractions. I’m on a mission, and the call of duty always comes before pleasure. For all I know Konan could be my next target. But there is something about him that keeps me captivated. Even his friends have me laughing more than I have in a long time. I may have to watch these boys. Something about them just doesn't seem right.

Fang and Nevin carry on jabbering about how fun the festival is, completely forgetting that I’m standing here watching them. I open my mouth to speak, but another man walks by. My smile quickly fades to a frown. I don’t know if it is him or not, but this isn't the time to take chances. I refuse to let him see me talking to these boys; that will only leave three corpses for me to clean up. I run off without a word, pushing my way through the crowd of people until I’m sure I am out of sight. Before I get too far away, I can hear Konan call after me.

"Hey, I never got your name!"

His voice rings in my ears, yet I pretend not to hear him. I have to get out of here, this area isn’t safe.

~Betrayed's Little Geeky Kitty~

~Read My Story Here Show Your Support~

I cyber stalk people for fun

Chapter 2: A New School Year

A week passes and the school year begins. The realism of the island's fate hits hard once more as alarm clocks ring through the streets, creating a "good morning" jingle to the rising sun. Those attending the Caara Island Mahou and Fighting Academy jump out of bed and rush out the door to start their new classes. Well, some of them rush out. Others like me take their time getting ready and making sure everything is right.

I stand in my bedroom staring at myself in the full-length mirror. The cozy bathrobe given to me by my guardians fit snug around my body. I take a quick moment to enjoy its comfort before letting it fall to the carpet. I walk away from the mirror and grab my freshly pressed school uniform from my top drawer. Standing in front of the mirror again, I begin to get dressed. I’m in no rush, school doesn’t start for another hour or so and the walk is short from my house. Once I’m done, I smile to myself as I do a small spin to check my look from all angles.

"You look beautiful, dear," says a voice coming from my balcony window.

I freeze for a moment out of shock, and then relax after realizing who it is.

"Don't flatter yourself." I respond without looking away from the mirror. "This is just a new step to a new beginning."

"I knew you were smart."

The smile never leaves my face as I slide on my shoes and head out of my door. I ignore him standing on my balcony. I walk down the stairs and I exit my front door, avoiding contact with the neighbors as I walk down the steps of my townhouse. The sun is rising over the horizon and peaking around the tall skyscrapers of the downtown area. I take my time walking down the street; watching younger children run pass me with their parents’ right behind them. I smile at one little girl as she turns to me and waves with the biggest grin on her face. It’s sad that one day she’ll grow up to be someone like me.

I continue to walk down the street towards the Mahou and Fighting Academy. I can already here the crowds of students and parents from a block away. Groups of friends meet in the courtyard. The sun is high and bright in the sky now, making the morning warmer than normal. New and old students alike approach the school for the new school year. The white painted concrete building looks quite inviting to the new faces, as well as the large "Welcome" sign hanging over the door that the art department created some time ago. Parents of new students stand waving goodbye, knowing that their child is safe for the time being. One mother holds a tight grip to her daughter. Streams of tears roll out of her eyes and onto the shirt of her daughter uniform.

I make my way from the corner of the street to the inside of the school’s courtyard. I take my time, looking at the faces of the younger children starting their first year of the academy. They have no idea what’s they are getting into.

I notice different groups of friends meeting up as if they haven’t seen each other in years. Soon, I notice a familiar face; Nevin enters through the front gate behind me, wearing his school uniform. It’s a winkled mess, like he wore it to sleep. His hair is the only thing that looks like he spent more than two minutes working on.

"Hey, guys! How was summer?" greets Nevin cheerfully as he walks into the courtyard of the school. He walks up to the group of his friends and sits on one of the benches, staring at everyone as he waits for a response.

I see Fang sitting in the group as well as other faces I don’t yet recognize. I keep my distance from them, but can hear almost every word clearly since I have perfect hearing.

"Well I spent my summer training with my sister's boyfriend. We went Konadai hunting." A big cheesy smile comes across his face, showing off his wolf-like fangs.

That smile makes me laugh. I put my hand over my mouth to suppress the sound. I begin heading towards them to greet them, that is, until I notice another familiar face. His name is Dante Sonnie, and he’s a part of the family that I work for. I recognize that long hair and cocky grin from anywhere. I quickly dash behind a large oak tree and put my back against it. I’m sure he hasn’t seen me yet, but I refuse to take any chances. He mustn’t see me until I get the complete details of my assignment. I’m not completely sure if he’s supposed to see me at all.

A girl about my size walks by me. Her long colorful pigtails bounce around her head as she moves. I follow her with my eyes making sure she doesn’t leave my sight. She turns towards me and shoots an evil look before making her way up to Dante. By the way she wraps her arms around his neck I can tell they are more than “just friends”.

"Hey everyone," She looks back at me and smiles this time. The look makes me want to slap that pink chap stick of hers off her pretty lips.

I smile back at her, not so friendly though. Reaching in my backpack, I pull out a notebook. I flip through the pages until I see her picture. The “name” space is left blank. I look back at the girl once again. Her back is towards me so she cannot see me staring. It’s a good thing too, I’m sure the look on my face would’ve scared her.

Now that I found one of the girls on my list here at school, my job will be easier. I close my notebook and place it back into my backpack.

I hear laughter coming from the group. Part of me wants to just sit here hiding until the first bell rings, but I know I need to analyze these “friends” as much as possible. I peak my head around the tree once more, making sure to keep out of sight.

“Why are you hiding, Sasame?”

A voice from behind causes my heart to jump. I freeze, not sure what to really do. Slowly, I turn my head to see who it is. I relax after noticing it’s just the three boys known as The Skater Boys, David, Zach, and Akairo. All three stand in front of me holding their skateboards in hand.

“You guys have some nerve bothering me right now.” My voice is not at all kind.

David kneels down and puts his hand under my chin. “Look who got a smart mouth over the summer.” He leans in closer to my ear. “I think I like it.”

I turn my head and put my hands on his chest, pushing him away. He falls back and smiles. “You’ve gotten stronger too.”

“What do you want?” I ask still looking away from him.

“Just wanted to show you our new boards,” says Zach. He turns his skateboard around to show me the new graphic on the deck. It’s a professionally drawn picture of a girl with long red hair and green eyes. She’s wearing a bikini and lying on her stomach with her head resting on her arms.

David, still sitting in the grass, turns his board around as well, showing a different picture. Her crossed arms cover her topless chest. Her short, blonde hair doesn’t seem to fit the shy look on her face. On Akairo’s board is a girl kneeling down. Her hand is on her mouth as if she’s trying to keep from smiling. The crimson corset looks as if it’s two sizes too small.

“Who are these girls?” I didn’t expect them to tell me the truth, but it is worth a try.

“The catch of the week,” says Zach. He sets his skateboard down on the ground and puts his left foot on it, moving it back and forth.

Akairo puts his hand on Zach’s shoulder and motions towards a group of girls on the other side of the courtyard. “We have work to do,” he says in a very uninteresting tone. “You have your own work to do as well, Sasame.”

He never looks at me as he uses his Mahou to make his skateboard shrink down into almost keychain size. He then walks in the direction of the girls. Zach follows close behind, leaving David with me.

“You’ve been keeping up with the list, right?” He says in a concerned voice.

“Yes, I know how to do my job. Thank you very much.”

“You’re such a smart ass now, I love it,” he winks at me. “Well have fun deceiving your new friends. He’s watching us you know.” David stands up and walks away towards Akairo and Zach.

Shaking off that creepy wink David gave me, I peak around the tree again at the group I was watching.

They look as if they are engaged in some deep conversation. Great, fooling with those idiots I missed what’s going on. I put the back of my head against the tree again and close my eyes. Sitting here waiting for something interesting to happen is turning out to be really boring. I doubt I will get any more information out of these students right now.

I take one last peek around the base of the tree. Dante is sitting there, meaning I can’t leave until I know he can’t see me or until I’m allowed to show my face.

As I continue to wait, I hear the pigtail girl’s voice.

"They're probably talking about that missing girl. I think her name was Higa Chiyo," she says. My heart sinks and shame comes across my face. I can’t believe I missed the whole conversation.

Just then, I hear a noise coming from the building. It’s a strange noise, like a small air horn. My eyes trace up the school until I see him staring at me from a window on the top floor. He nods at me then tilts his head in Dante’s direction. A smirk comes across his face right before he disappears from sight. That’s all the clearance I need for now. I pick up my bag and head straight for the front doors of the school. Right before I enter the building, I turn to the group to see if any of them were watching me. The pigtail girl’s eyes glued to me, they trace up and down my body. I smile at her then make my way through the doors.
    Last edited by estrickland89; 01-12-2012 at 11:31 AM.

An hour later, the first bell rings. All the students fill the empty halls of the school to begin the new school year. The quiet white halls and corridors become overran with sounds of closing doors, loud talking, ringing cell phones, and random laughter. Students run to their lockers, swinging them open and then slamming them closed before walking down the halls to their classes. As quickly as the loud chatter came, the halls begin to grow quiet once again. I’m left alone, standing at my locker staring at a piece of paper. Apparently he put it here. He could be watching me now, but I’m not worried about that at the moment. As I read over my orders for the day, I hear light footsteps and breathing coming up behind me. With one quick move I push my left foot back, tripping whoever it is and making them fall to the floor. Then I grab my short-sword from my locker, turn to my attacker and hold the blade to his throat. Sitting on top of him, I can see the fear in his eyes. I feel his pulse pounding under my blade. Realizing I’ve made a mistake, I remove my blade from his neck, but stay seated on his chest.

“I’m so sorry, but you scared me,” I say in a soft voice. I can’t believe I attacked an innocent boy.

"I-I'm Konan from the festival. You never told me you name," is all he can say. The fear leaves his eyes, but I can still hear it in his voice.

I take in a breath. "My name is Sasame." I remember him all too well. How can I forget that country accent that sent chills down my spine twice in a row?

His eyes wonder to my legs, and then widen a little. That’s when I notice he can see right up my skirt. I squeal, quickly using both hands to pull the edge of my skirt down.

“What do you think you’re doing?” I yell.

“Sorry, I wasn’t trying to…I mean…I didn’t see anything.”

I roll off of his chest and onto my knees. He stands up beside me and extends his hand towards me. I smile, accepting his helpful offer. “Sorry about the whole sword thing, like I said you scared me.”

“Heh, don’t worry, I know now not to sneak up on pretty new girls,” says Konan, rubbing the back of his head.

I blush, “Guess I’m just nervous about my first day here.” I turn away from him, pick up my sword and slide it into its sheath. Then I stick it into my backpack. I look up at Konan. He has a smile across his face and I can tell he’s checking me out. He looks me in the eyes and stares deep into them. It’s as if he recognizes me.

“Where are you from?” he asks. He places his left hand against the locker beside my head and leans in close, forcing my back against the lockers. I try to move my eyes away from his, but I’m caught in his gaze. I open my mouth to speak, but before I can answer, the bell rings again.

"Sorry I have to go; I'm already late for my first class." I throw one of the backpack straps on my shoulder and run down the hall, refusing to look back at him.
    Last edited by estrickland89; 01-12-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Is it too soon to post that I love it? ^^
    {Good Luck with your comic. I might donate some.}
    "War Does not prove who is right, War prove who is left. - Sierra Hoff
    Naruto Uzumaki is Number One.
    Na39 has got a number one alliance: Fear. Fear: Your Either with us, or Against us.

Cort, chronicling the downfall of Admiral Castas

I'd have said something about this, but I'm hesitant to because I feel like I'm completely outside of the target audience.

That kind old lady stopped the rain for us.
    She said it would only make us cold, and miserable, and sick.
    We thanked her and hugged her and she walked away smiling warmly.
    I miss the puddles...

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly101 View Post
    Is it too soon to post that I love it? ^^
    {Good Luck with your comic. I might donate some.}
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bree Fletcher View Post
    I'd have said something about this, but I'm hesitant to because I feel like I'm completely outside of the target audience.
    Oh no, go right ahead. I know it's not the best written piece and chapter 2 could be a LOT better.

Well basically it looks like some sort of teenage action-drama I might enjoy more if I was a straight girl under 16 years old. >_>

I miss the puddles...

So you're not a straight girl?

And it starts off slow but I actually throw in some killing and blood and gore...like I said I need to rewrite some stuff.

The pacing's not actually that bad. I don't think you need to force something "exciting" to happen earlier on if the story isn't naturally going in that direction. And in a lot of other ways, this is really good. There's a lot of effort put toward tone and characterization that's paid off.

Really, the only thing irking me is the main character. In most other stories, that sort of young, strong-willed but morally lost female protagonist will almost inevitably end up getting saved one or three times by the love interest. Nothing against you, and I know I have no idea where your story is going, but other authors have just turned me off of that particular archetype.

Or I may be slightly biased against it because...
    Quote Originally Posted by estrickland89 View Post
    So you're not a straight girl?
    ...well, I'm not, but I don't actually think that's the case.

I miss the puddles...

Well I guess I'll just keep going like I am. Wouldn't hurt.

And that last comment had no context lol just took me by surprise is all