Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hachi's Defense Guide (Everything)

Hybrid View

Default Hachi's Defense Guide (Everything)

Since I have quit evony and do not plan to return to the game itself, I figure I can help out the people that are just starting the game or wish to know more.

Advanced Defense Mechanics

By Hachi

Alright, first things first I’m going to lay out the three main types of defense. They are “5k” “Compact” and “Mech D” Each of these are vastly different from the others, and all have their strengths and weakness’. I don’t recommend one over the other, that is solely up to you and the type of player you are. Also, this guide takes for granted all your techs are lvl10 and walls at lvl10.

5k Defense

Walls:
    5k defense is called 5k because the range of the walls are set out to 5,000 units. This means that you have traps and abatis’ on your walls. The most popular and recommended wall setup is 17333 AT’s and 1k of each traps and abatis.

Toops:

Troops in this kind of defense are mainly archers, as a 5k defense allows you to play “Naked Arch.” When playing a 5k defense, I use the following troops:
    Workers: 25000..........................Warriors: 150000
    Scouts: 300000 .........................Pikemen: 25000
    Swordsmen: 25000...........................Archers: 300000
    Cavalry: 5000............................Cataphract: 1000
    Transporters: 10000...........................Ballista: 10000

This is for a fairly advanced player, and works well for several months into the game. Also, this is going to be the cheapest city to run foodwise, only being about -6 million. The 300k archers are usually enough to hold out until you can get reinforcements there to help you defend. Also, there are adequate troops to attack smaller players that might port into your city. I have found it to be a solid defenses.

Using a 5k Defending:

Now, defending with the 5k defense is the hardest to actively defend with, as adjustments need to be made to properly defend to each incoming attack. There are several basic waves that I have found used most frequently on recent servers. The first being clearing waves: trying to clear out all your layers so that a player can smack your arch heavy defense out with cavalry. To defend against these clearing waves, you simply pull all but 10 of your layers out of your city and defend with naked archers. When you send your troops out, ALWAYS camp time them. This allows you to recall these troops at a seconds notice and have them in your city to defend with. The other wave that I have found used frequently is the 99k arch 1k cav wave. This wave only works properly when you have very little to no layers in your city and will kill about 50k arch a wave. To defend properly, with little losses, recall your layering troops. The archers will simply smack on your layers and kill very little.

If you do happen to lose you layers and a player is trying to run down your abatis to cav smack you, you want to use the little box on the right that displays your walls. Build abatis 1 at a time, and keep an eye on the little box on the right. Be checking your incoming waves, looking for a smack. When you abatis reaches 1, close gates and get your abatis back up. You dont need to lose your archers to a cav smack. Rebuild 10 or so abatis, then reopen gates. You will get pleasurable results.

Later on into a server, players might send a mech wave at your city. You will take losses on these mech waves, however, hopefully by then you will be able to have more troops in your city. What you want to do, is pull your traps and abatis, getting rid of all of them. This is the only time you want to delete your 5k walls. Immediately after you pull the walls, (leave AT’s) you want to rebuild 2 abatis then 1 at a time. Make sure you have these walls finishing AFTER the mech wave hits. Depending on the mech wave sent, you could lose anywhere from 50k-200k archers.

Remember, you can always close gates to waves you dont want to fight against.

Compact Defense

Walls:
    Walls on a compact defense include no range (no traps and abatis). You want all AT’s and perhaps a few rolling logs. 17000 AT’s and 450 Rolling Logs are a recommended wall setup. You do not want to lose AT’s using a compact defense, always be building them if you lose a few.

Troops:
    A compact defense uses layered troops to protect the archers inside the city. Warriors are popular near the beginning of the server, and then the trend changes to swordsmen. When running a compact defense, I recommend the following troops inside the city:

Workers: 50000...........................Warriors: 250000
    Scouts: 300000..........................Pikemen: 50000
    Swordsmen: 500000..........................Archers: 300000
    Cavalry: 5000.............................Cataphracts: 1000
    Transporters: 10000...........................Ballista: 10000

This defense is more expensive to run on food, however it is more effective against most attacks. The city will run about 9.5 million. This is still possible to achieve with lvl5 npc farming however, don’t expect to be gaining any food.

Using a Compact Defending:

The Compact Defense is incredibly easy to defend with. The only things you are really going to want to do is heal, and build AT’s as you lose them.

However, most players will want to try to clear you city using cav. Since you have no abatis on the wall, cav smacks will kill troops with some effectiveness. In order to defend this, build small amounts of abatis as they send cav waves. If the player stops sending cav waves and switches to archers or mech, make sure the abatis are not on the walls.

Scoutbombs: Never close your gates for scoutbombs when running a compact defense. Those archer towers are your friend, and the scouts will only kill small amounts of swordsmen so you need not worry about it.

Archer rainbows will do very little to this defense, as they are only really effective clearing a city with 5k defense (above).

Gates: Try not to ever close your gates when running this defense, if you need to, you are best not reopening unless you have at least 10 AT’s on the walls.
    Last edited by Hachi; 02-07-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Sig by Jade

S131, 148, 156, 165 (retired)

Mech Defense

This kind of defense is most oftenly run late in a server, as it requires a lot of mechanical troops and is fairly painful on the food bill. I believe this to be “the strongest” defense, however it is still possible to kill if the defender is not quick on gates and troop building. Also, to run this defense effectively you need to have at least an insta warrior hero (432 attack).

Walls:
    Walls on a mech defense can vary player to player. Essentially, you want AT’s and Abatis on the wall and thats all. How many of both really depends on your politics hero and its capability to build abatis faster than spam waves can kill them. Personally, I run 10k abatis and 10k AT’s until my politics hero is around 300-400 politics.

Troops:
    Troops can also vary player to player, however not counting the scouts, you want less than 900k foot soldiers in your city at any given time. The more ballista and scouts you have, the better with this defense. I use the following troops when using a mech D.

Worker: 25000.....................Warrior: 150000
    Scouts: 3000000 .................Pikemen: 25000
    Swordsmen: 25000.....................Archers: 250000
    Cavalry: 10000....................Cataphracts: 1000
    Transporters: 10000.....................Ballista: 50000
    Rams 8000........................Catapaults: 5000

This defense is very expensive on food to run, topping out at about -15 million. You will not be able to support this defense hitting only lvl5 npcs, you either need to be hitting lvl10s or have a feeder account. Now, the amount of scouts to ballista should always remain about a 4:1 ratio. When it gets below that, the scoutbombs will start to target the ballista. The other troops in there are useful for hitting back, playing the honor game, or simply just for lvl10 farming.

Defending With Mech D:

Mech D is also very simple to defend with, as 99% of waves sent you will recieve no losses on. Howerver, there is one thing you want to have set up if you are porting a city with mech D into a hostile area. The first being your barracks, you want to take your politics hero and make a full batch of rams, should take an extreamly long time. After population regens, take how many barracks you have and times that number by 100. (15 barracks x 100 = 1500). Using your inta warrior hero, que that number of warriors behind the rams. It should be instant. You can choose to do this several times, filling your barracks with alternating warriors and rams.

Why the warriors? You want to have a small layer of warriors in there for phract smacks. A phract smack is very effective against killing a mech D, however having even 100 warriors will blunt its force. Simply cancel one of the rams in the rax and out pop 100 warriors.

Scoutbombs and Dirty Scoutbombs against mech D: Some pllayers will be sending scoutbombs and dirty scoutbombs to beat your mech D. If sending scoutbombs, and you are maintaing the scouts to ballista ratio of 22.5:1, they will simply hit your scouts like they are scouting you. Shouldnt be a problem. When you start losing that 22.5:1 ratio, you will start to lose ballista. You either need to get more scouts in there, pull some of the ballista out of the city, or close gates. The thing you most need to be worried about when defending with mech D is dirty scoutbombs. These are 99999 scout and 1 cav. This attack with target you mech, even if you have the 22.5:1 ratio. When you see a batch of these coming CLOSE GATES. Or, you can send your ballista out of the city, leaving just scouts, however I would be very cautious doing so. Scouts provide very little defending power, so an arch rainbow could kill all 3 million. Best choice is to close gates and let them bounce. A scoutbomb wont win an attack, so no need to worry about loyalty dropping or anything of the matter.

Most other attacks; including arch rainbows, cav smacks, mech waves, and pretty much anything else you can think of will be extremely ineffective vs. a mech D. You should not be taking any losses to your ballista during this defense as long as you keep abatis up, watch for those phract smacks and dirty sbs. Rams will get hit, however you get 5 heals out of them before they are gone. (10% heal) Just keep healing them as they die.

-----

Results of defending will be honor. Lots of honor. Best way to drop this honor is to build treb cities, and hit with 5k warriors at a time. 11k trebs can drop about 15 million honor, possibly more. I always have at least two treb cities at all time so I can drop honor quickly and get back to attacking.

Thanks for reading my guide, I hope you have found it useful.

-----

Few extra notes:

- For some unknown reason, the forums won't let me post my evourl reports. So you just have to take my word for it.
    - This guide was meant for production cities.
    - Yes, you can always have more troops.
    - All of this has been used, by me, and others to great effectiveness.
    - Please don't spam this thread with hate. If you have alternative defense methods, you can make your own thread.
    Last edited by Hachi; 02-07-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    Sig by Jade

Thank You Hachi,,, Actually ,, You've layed it out simply,, Uncomplicated,, And as Useful
    Information,,, Thank You ,, Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alaskared

On far away planet in far away ebil galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi View Post

Mech Defense

These are 99999 scout and 1 cav. This attack with target you mech, even if you have the 22.5:1 ratio. When you see a batch of these coming CLOSE GATES.
    Actualy, if you can maintain pikes and swords (along with abatis), you are safe... it hits balistas only if you are out of layers.

Mech Defense

Rams will get hit, however you get 5 heals out of them before they are gone. (10% heal) Just keep healing them as they die.
    Rams are actually what protects your ballistas from getting slaughtered during all kinds of hits that involve mechanics so you want to stretch them as much as you can... and on server where I come from, 5 heals isn't nearly enough and and it doesn't matter if you have 50k or just one as long as you have it... so , if situation allows, send them away in small numbers (with camp time) and instant recall them as they get killed during hits..

If I may add advice... if facing stuborn enemy, and you expect looooooooong fight, best is to get closest npc.10, move layers and rams there, some food and enough transporters to send food away if enemy goes after that city too(keep your gates closed in helping city and dont forget to call back transporters when hits are done),
    Use 'helping' city, to reinforce one you are deffending.... check incoming attacks, and time reinforcements to be there after each hit (I usually send 1-10 of each troops)...... If enemy isn't good at timeing you can last like this for loooooong time.... if he/she starts timeing all hits at 1-2 seconds, then you have problem........ you can still try reinforcing at same second as hits arrive, and hope that they will arrive in right order, but that part now is just pure luck
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Snott View Post
    Dont confuse him Ghost, he's Swedish

Quote Originally Posted by Binch View Post
    Actualy, if you can maintain pikes and swords (along with abatis), you are safe... it hits balistas only if you are out of layers.

Rams are actually what protects your ballistas from getting slaughtered during all kinds of hits that involve mechanics so you want to stretch them as much as you can... and on server where I come from, 5 heals isn't nearly enough and and it doesn't matter if you have 50k or just one as long as you have it... so , if situation allows, send them away in small numbers (with camp time) and instant recall them as they get killed during hits..

If I may add advice... if facing stuborn enemy, and you expect looooooooong fight, best is to get closest npc.10, move layers and rams there, some food and enough transporters to send food away if enemy goes after that city too(keep your gates closed in helping city and dont forget to call back transporters when hits are done),
    Use 'helping' city, to reinforce one you are deffending.... check incoming attacks, and time reinforcements to be there after each hit (I usually send 1-10 of each troops)...... If enemy isn't good at timeing you can last like this for loooooong time.... if he/she starts timeing all hits at 1-2 seconds, then you have problem........ you can still try reinforcing at same second as hits arrive, and hope that they will arrive in right order, but that part now is just pure luck
    I find if they camp 5-6 hits at one-3 seconds, if you camp 10 reins of 1 pike or whatever your using to the 2 seconds between them, you'll most likely hit half or more of the attacks.
    Last edited by cushseth; 05-08-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    SS37

Less QQ more PewPew

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy the 5 View Post
    cush has a point... and he is right
    Ya.

mech d setup generally is the best defense to handly almost anything
    10K of layers,500K archers 20-30k ballis depending on hero and abatis etc

fairly cheap food bill,intimidating for people not loaded on mechs or those persistent with scout's
    either way sb shut gates helper,or no helper that's easy
    small enough to remove troops incase of any incoming type of mech hit to kill without losses
    when on and u know how to defend u can block any kind of att,if they arn't done in a wall removal spams even then u can time something for walls back on right before main hits

offline anything can be taken out,online this can be close to rocksolid if u know how unless ur fighting an attacker that is willing to take losses and knows how to battle

Quote Originally Posted by Binch View Post

actually if you have 30k or more pults and with full walls and in a 5k if you could time in 1lista for ea attack you will lose next to nothing on every hit but its tuff to time in reign perfect like that so timeing in layers and also having layers to start the defense is a must.(in most cases)
    Last edited by xygent1; 05-08-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but thought it was a 22.5 to 1 ratio for scouts to balli
    (big attack value / small attack value)

It is, wasn't thinking properly after writing all that.. lol.
    Sig by Jade

It is, wasn't thinking properly after writing all that.. lol.
    yep happens to us all lol