Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are arranged, full FH, fights as legitimate as any other battle?

Hybrid View

Default Are arranged, full FH, fights as legitimate as any other battle?

So the other day I was fighting a battle with a guy I had arranged to battle for awhile now and we went at it back and forth for a few days. One of us would be on the attack the other on defence. I made a promise to him that he couldn't kill me online and offered 50 bil food if he could do so. Both of us had 2 cities but could only attack the persons main (fine by me since that's where the bulk of troops are). Any heros you want could be used and as a consequence our main heroes were gettin tossed around on mechs since FH's were agreed to be full. We are in red allainces and have both tried to kill each others members in the past and this is not the first time we've met on the battlefield either. We both hit each other 100s of times and dropped each others honor when we wanted to switch up attacker and defender. Eventually I got a decent hit on him with my main and showed it to my alliance:

http://ww.evonyurl.com/ancs6l

Some of the players there claimed it was not a legitimate fight and compared it to them killing millions of mechs in a setup hit for hero xp and to transfer troops to another player. This got a debate going in AC about whether full FH fights count as being as legitimate as any other fight. They argue that I'd never use my main hero to attack if it was not arranged like this (probably true) and as such the results were skewed by the large heroes used. They also point out that the fact that since no waves are needed for fh spamming it is more about brute forceing the opponent then skill, especially since every wave can have a big hero and none are going to be inn heroes (though only my main hero I don't normally use the rest I'd use any other time). Also mentioned was that the rigid rule set of only hitting one city and taking set turns attacking and defending takes away the challenge aspect of it.

My argument was that if anything arranged full fh fights make it more legitimate then sneaking around trying to catch people offline and take them out that way. The way I see it fighting an online player is the true test of skill since they can react to everything you do and plan their defence accordingly. In addition when you are on the defence (which I spent most of the time doing) it is far more challenging doing a full FH fight against someone since every single one of their hits that connects has the potential to do significantly more damage since in general larger heroes are used. I think any large hits done on an online player should be more celebrated then hitting offline players since there is no reason for an online defender to allow a big kill at all. It is my opinion that it is also more honorable to do this format since both players get the chance to retaliate on the other with full heal rate meaning neither is at a major disadvantage unless one player dies in the first round.

Anyway I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks of it. Do you think planned, full FH fights are every little bit as legitimate as any other fight? Do you think they are better? Or as some in my allaince state, is it not really a fight at all? Let's see what everyone else has to say on it.

I'MMMMMMMM BAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

norr is basically a lesser version of shep
    hes not as awesome as me, but hell do root (nod)

I think it is a legitimate Battle,.
    Nearly everyone attacks someone when they are off line, and that isn't a legit battle. . .
    nice hit btw. ..
    +REP
    if they think it isn't a legit, tell em to attack a guy online and see if they can take em out.

BMS

Join ' Merge Servers on Evony ' in facebook
    http://bbs.evony.com/showthread.php?...ion+experience - battle mech.. nice guide for beginner's
    trying to become #1 joker on evony forums
    please help the BadManS joker Cause.. by clicking the REP button today ... lol

Legitimacy depends on your definition of what the game is about

If you believe it's about beating an opponent fair and square, and having a little honour and common decency, then I believe it's entirely legitimate. After all, even real wars have rules (Geneva Conventions anyone?).

If, however, you believe that the game is about using any and every tactic that a mind can think up, then maybe not.

Not that I'm prejudiced or anything

~

EDIT: On an unbiased note: at a point with many mech hits, a larger hero won't make a difference anyway. Addtionally, 1 or 2M troop kills against someone defending with a poli hero, or a much smaller hero than that used by the attacker, are still considered to be legitimate bragging proof, so if you ratchet up the hero on both sides, what's the diff?
    Last edited by Khalee; 03-28-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    I don't believe in thinking before I speak
    I prefer to be just as surprised as everyone else by what I say

Quote Originally Posted by Khalee View Post
    Legitimacy depends on your definition of what the game is about

If you believe it's about beating an opponent fair and square, and having a little honour and common decency, then I believe it's entirely legitimate. After all, even real wars have rules (Geneva Conventions anyone?).

If, however, you believe that the game is about using any and every tactic that a mind can think up, then maybe not.

Not that I'm prejudiced or anything

~

EDIT: On an unbiased note: at a point with many mech hits, a larger hero won't make a difference anyway. Addtionally, 1 or 2M troop kills against someone defending with a poli hero, or a much smaller hero than that used by the attacker, are still considered to be legitimate bragging proof, so if you ratchet up the hero on both sides, what's the diff?
    I agree with the bolded part. I'd say it's a lot more legitimate, as you're fighting against a player, and one who knows it is coming so they've prepped. While there may be rules, it's a much harder fight to have and a win is earned.

Like Khalee said, I think it all depends on how you view the game.

To me, planned fights are more akin to professional fighting like boxing. Both combatants know who they are facing, are in the best shape they can be, and know the rules. You're just trying to beat the other person with as even of odds as possible.

Unplanned hits are more like street fights. Nothing is planned, things are in the heat of the moment, you use whatever is available regardless if others think it's cheap or not. The ultimate goal is to win, no matter the cost.

Either way I think both forms are legitimate, both have their place in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    "I believe, whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you.....stranger."

First, I think we can all agree that what you did IS NOT like killing millions of mechs for exp. The ideas behind both moves are completely different, and it’s very likely you would not be attacking a lvl 800 hero to do this, so that argument is thrown out the window. As Kaylee mentioned, the hero’s on both sides were negated given their levels, while you may not of used your main hero, but chances are his main would not of been their either, so again, moot point.

I agree with your assessment – it is actually a more legit fight. How many times do you hear someone say “I wasn’t on” or “RL is getting in the way so I need to stop?” In this case, both of you planned to be on, agreed to a particular rule set, and executed based off that rule set.

le•git•i•mate – Adjective – complying with recognized rules, standards, or traditions.

Sounds to me like the battle was legit. Unless you are comparing the rules with the TOS, in which case we are now talking semantics. (and since when are us Evony players a stickler for the TOS)?

Bottom line: I personally would rather take part in a 1v1 using the above rule set than hitting someone when they are off, using “help” to attack or defend, or trucing / holidaying. I believe that is the most “legit” way to battle in Evony.
    83 - rtafishalinsanity - IMMT - retired
    133 - RTA - IMMT - retired
    ss63 - Slapstick - Tyrant - retired
    159 - solonely - None - just frolicking around
    160 - Laaaaaaagggggg
    168 - hahahahaha

I think they are both legit, that being sd 1on 1 battles that are set up in most cases if both players are of equall strength and knowlege of the game is usually just a waste of time cause odds are neither player will probably get any good reports especially if we are talking when both players have insta pol heros of AT's or better.at least offensive reports anyway defensive reports should be outstanding from a cpl of great players.

Sorry Norr, but I don't find pre-arranged without risk of hero loss to be legitimate :/

Yeah I think thats a perfectly legit set up, so long as both parties agree and stick to it, its no different to people playing 1 vs 1 but with each player using multiple cities.

If that's what floats your boat... go for it ;-)
    http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff459/JadedGFX/Signatures/Clara.png
    Amazing sig by Jade

How is any fight on equal terms not legitimate? There has to be a risk of losing your main hero to legitimise it? What nonsense.

A prearranged 1v1 is a much greater test of a player's ability than all those battles fought by people who once a month load up their multibillion consumption war cities and overwhelm cities with brute force.

In todays game of closed gates, bots defending, res hiding, stacked truces and shared keys anything that gets people fighting more has to be a good thing.

Sadly there are too many people happy to talk smack but when asked for a 1v1 suddenly have to holiday for a family crisis. Putting your troops where your mouth is in a 1v1 is the only real test of fighting ability left in this game in my opinion (admittedly with some rare exceptions).

FWIW - my last prearranged 1v1 we had no rules other than no one else interfered. It was great fun, he was a better player, I lost, I moved on. I learnt more in one battle than I have done in a hundred fights since.