Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL Discussion

Default NHL Discussion

I did this thread last season to keep track of the Stanley Cup Playoffs for all the hockey lovers out there. So I figure I'll fire it up again. I waited until some games had been played before starting it so I can make a prediction on how I think each series will go. As the rounds go by I will update the standings and predict the next round. So all you hockey lovers out there, let's here who you think is gonna knock out who and why!

Round 1

Eastern Conference
    New York Rangers vs Ottawa Senators--------------Rangers take series 4-3
    Boston Bruins vs Washington Capitals----------------Caps take series 4-3
    Florida Panthers vs New Jersy Devils-----------------Devils take series 4-3
    Philadelphia Flyers vs Pittsburg Penguins--------------Flyers take series 4-2

Western Conference
    Vancouver Cannucks vs L.A. Kings--------------------Kings take series 4-1
    St Louis Blues vs San Jose Sharks--------------------Blues take series 4-1
    Chicago Blackhawks vs Phoenix Coyotes-------------Coyotes take series 4-2
    Nashville Predators vs Detriot Red Wings-------------Predators take series 4-1

Round 2

Eastern Conference
    New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals------------Rangers take series 4-3
    Philadelphia Flyers vs New Jersey Devils---------------Devils take series 4-1

Western Conference
    St Louis Blues vs LA Kings------------------------------Kings sweep series 4-0
    Phoenix Coyotes vs Nashville Predators---------------Coyotes take series 4-1

Round 3

Eastern Conference
    New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils---------------Devils take series 4-2

Western Conference
    LA Kings vs Phoenix Coyotes---------------------------Kings take series 4-1

Round 4: Stanley Cup Final
    New Jersey Devils vs LA Kings--------------------------Kings win Stanley Cup 2011-2012

This thread is now going to be used to discuss the NHL draft, trade season, pre-season, regular season AND post-season.
    Last edited by eric0095; 08-28-2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Added orange at bottom and added that Kings won the cup

I'MMMMMMMM BAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

norr is basically a lesser version of shep
    hes not as awesome as me, but hell do root (nod)

East
    New York in 4
    Boston in 6
    New Jersey in 5
    Philly in 5

West
    Vancouver in 7
    San Jose in 6
    Chicago in 7
    Detroit in 6

Quote Originally Posted by BigNorr View Post
    I did this thread last season to keep track of the Stanley Cup Playoffs for all the hockey lovers out there. So I figure I'll fire it up again. I waited until some games had been played before starting it so I can make a prediction on how I think each series will go. As the rounds go by I will update the standings and predict the next round. So all you hockey lovers out there, let's here who you think is gonna knock out who and why!

Round 1

Eastern Conference
    New York Rangers vs Ottawa Senators--------------Rangers lead series 1-0

This is going to be a long series as neither of these teams are going to go down easy. The Rangers finished the year first in the conference by a long shot but I would not count out the Senators for making a run for their money. New York has a very strong team and I think they will take the series in 7 games (6 at least). Ottawa has some of the best forwards in the game such as Alfredsson (Captained one of the All Star Teams) and Spezza along with solid defence (especially Karlsson who led defencemen in points and averaged over a point per game from the blue line). Ottawa's undoing will be their shaky goaltending which will let the Rangers take the win.

Boston Bruins vs Washington Capitals----------------Bruins lead series 1-0

I would love to see the Caps take this one down but I think this one is going to the grittier Bruins. The Bruins have the edge in goaltending with Vezina winner Tim Thomas and a solid backup in the form of Tukka Rask. They also have alot of firepower such as Seguin and they are a much more physical team. Ovechkin is also not as on his game as he usually is. The Bruins will probably take this is 6.

Florida Panthers vs New Jersy Devils-----------------Devils lead series 1-0

I want Florida to pull through this as it has been awhile since they did a decent run. However I think New Jersy is a the stronger team although they finished lower in the standings and they still have the best goaltender of all time, Martin Brodeur, in net. That being said, an aging goaltender past his prime could slow the Devils down. But I see this being over in 5 games.

Philadelphia Flyers vs Pittsburg Penguins--------------Flyers lead series 2-0

I don't particualarly care for these 2 teams or their bandwagoning fans on Pittsburg in particular but I respect the massive amounts of talent on both. The Pens are by far the superior team in this matchup with the face of the NHL today (assuming he doesn't get injured) Sidney Crosby and Malkin who finished the season with a sensational 109 points, the highest of any player. The team is essentially stacked and has decent (although highly overrated) goaltending in the form of Fleury. That being said I think they Pens are overrated and likely to choke. The Flyers are the more physical team and have alot of talent along with one of the league points leaders Claude Giroux. I also think their goaltender (Bryzgalov) is substantially better. If they 2 games so far in which the Pens blew huge leads over the Flyers to lose are any indicators, I think Flyers will take this in 7 and I predict this to be the highest scoring series of round 1.

Western Conference
    Vancouver Cannucks vs L.A. Kings--------------------Kings lead series 1-0

Vancouver are like Pittsburg, a superstacked team that should have a cup based off it's stats alone. However this has been the case the last 2 years as well and it has ended in disappointment. Yet again they finish at the top of the league with epic forwards such as the Sedin twins, Kessler, and Burrows. They have decent defence and good depth to their lines and a strong set of goaltenders in the forms of Luongo and Schnider. So far they are down 1 and it's not looking good in game 2 so far for them. However, this is the team I want to win the cup (it's about damn time they won one!) I think they can turn it around and Luongo hasn't been doing bad considering the number of shots he's faced. A lesser goaltender would have alot more goals against, but I think he is too streaky and prone to chokeing so I think the Cannucks need to put Schnider in net. Also getting back Daniel Sedin (who is out with a concussion) will improve the odds immensely assuming he is still the same player he was preinjury. LA is a very strong team with some good forwards and one of the best goaltenders, Jonathan Quick. However, once Vancouver gets their stride back they will turn this around and take it in 7.

St Louis Blues vs San Jose Sharks--------------------Sharks lead series 1-0

Although the Sharks are leading St Louis is the stronger team (they finished 2nd overall) and has 2 of the best goaltenders in the league, Elliot (who has had his best year to date) and Halak (remember that sick streak he led the Canadians on a while back?) This will be a drawn out series that should wrap up in 6 with a Blues victory.

Chicago Blackhawks vs Phoenix Coyotes-------------Coyotes lead series 1-0

I'm not really paying much attention to this series but I think the Hawks will take it in 6.

Nashville Predators vs Detriot Red Wings-------------series tied 1-1

This is going to be an interesting one and I love both teams. This is one that is going to go to 7 games due to the vast skill of both teams. Nashville has one of my favorite goaltenders in the league and I think one of best in the future (Pekka Rinne). Meanwhile Detriot has what is in my opinion the most consistent team of the last decade or 2 (how do you stay near the top every year without good draft pics and an ageing team of epic veterns!) My gut is calling this a Nashville win though but it all depends how it goes on the ice of course. Detriot is an absolute beast at home so if Nashville loses on their own home ice they are in serious trouble.
    Don't wanna crowd the first post up so I can put all the results from the other rounds up there so I'll put my preditions down here. See the red

Good grief... 2-0 for the Kings now...

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    "
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by eric0095 View Post
    Good grief... 2-0 for the Kings now...
    Ya that hurts. Luongo is actually playing quite well considering lol. If only Quick wasn't so on his game. I won't lose faith in the Cannucks unless they go down a third game lol.

this bull Vancouver team is hurting my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by estrickland89 View Post
    you make me wish the red rep system was still in place
    Quote Originally Posted by Mati2 View Post
    I wish that everyday because of Emma6.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCurley View Post
    acer made me change my avatar f acer

Anyone else smell more riots coming in Vancouver...?

Quote Originally Posted by SiphonXP View Post
    Nope, I very much doubt they would riot in this scenario. Hell, even if it was another 7 game final loss too, I don't see it happening.

The rioters weren't all hockey fans...

Quote Originally Posted by SiphonXP View Post
    I only see riots in the event of a Conference or Cup final, not a first round loss.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNorr View Post
    I only see riots in the event of a Conference or Cup final, not a first round loss.
    Happened in Montreal a couple years back didn't it?

That said I am keeping one eye on the NHL playoffs for the first time in years and they are better then ever. No brand of sports beats old-school hockey imo, and all of the first round match-ups so far have been great.