Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To the people and devs of evony

Quote Originally Posted by Roisina View Post
    Seriously? Moderate game chat? Are you kidding? I'd have to be paid to do that, actually, no, even then I wouldn't do it. I do supermod another forum and that is damn hard work sometimes, especially when you get a drama cirlcle and you are trying to keep it on the lowdown as much as possible and eliminate the problems. Can you imagine what it would be like having to moderate that jungle aka world chat?

@SickbyDefinition the forums are a mild jungle lol. As a moderator, can you honestly say that you'd enjoy moderating game chat whether you were paid or not? From that, can you say that they'd successfully find people willing to do it, and I don't mean those that feel super strongly about it as they'd probably end up banning half the server. lol.

I think the censor bot that is already in game and does those 5 minute bannings is as close to moderating as humans are willing to get.

A suggestion that has been brought up time and time again both here and on the feedcack site is to fix the block button. That would solve all our issues. There are people I want to block and I can't because it doesn't work properly.
    Personally I think it would be easier to moderate one chat than the different forums I'm responsible for. It'd be easier to focus. You could warn people being profane, and if they didn't listen mute them for 15 minutes or something. It'd be easy... you'd just need to focus more.

The wheels of survival are greased more readily by easy lies than hard truths.

I'm all for freedom of speech until it comes to legitimate insults aimed at a certain person for who they are or what they believe in, and since there are clearly morons around here who would fall under that category of 'serious pains', i do feel some sort of moderation is necessary. However, that being said, I like my swear words!
    Last edited by SickbyDefinition; 05-01-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Off topic stuff edited out.

For the people that feel profanity or insults are no big deal:

You're welcome to feel that way, but here's the thing: Much like how a houseowner has the right to decide what behavior is allowed or not allowed in his home, Evony has the right to outline what is allowed or not allowed on their website and game.

You, as a guest, have three choices:
    1. Respect the wishes of the one having you as a guest.
    2. Leave and find another place to go, if you find these requests unacceptable.
    3. Show disrespect to the one offering you hospitality, and face the consequences.

It's a simple thing, really.
    It's all Rodri's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by SickbyDefinition View Post
    Personally I think it would be easier to moderate one chat than the different forums I'm responsible for. It'd be easier to focus. You could warn people being profane, and if they didn't listen mute them for 15 minutes or something. It'd be easy... you'd just need to focus more.
    But the forums are static. You can actually see and make fair judgements based on past behaviour and you are not having to sit watching a moving chat. Especially if you use the usernotes attached to the user profile. In chat, that is much harder. I have OP status in an IRC related to the forum I mentioned and it's a nightmare. Sure you can boot them, but then there's all their friends going crazy and to me it's not worth the hassle. It becomes easier then to threaten to ban them on the forums and the IRC if they continue to be jackasses.

I have seen other chat sites that have bots that boot you for bad words or tring to self censor. You get a warn level that goes up and eventually, you get a ban from chat that lasts a week or two, depending on the fequency of bad behaviour.

I honestly think you'd get sick of it after a week and would die to be a forum mod again. Hehe!

Edit: Still think the return of a WORKING block button would be a great start to solving player harassment issues.
    Last edited by Roisina; 05-01-2012 at 07:18 AM.
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/gerisul/Signatures/touhou.png

I just wrote loads and then it got lost

heres the quick version...

I think that the block button should be amended so it acts like a report. If a set number of reports are received in a time frame then an evony rep is auto logged in to the server with a copy of the previous chat and can decide the best course of action.

If a repeat offence occurs the punishment increases.

e.g.
    15 blocks in 10 mins calls a rep, rep reviews, deals with on a 1 -1 basis and maybe bans for 30 mins.
    incident repeats 30 mins later - rep is alerted and bans for 24hrs
    Incident repeats 24hrs later - rep is alerted, player is banned.

If the next incident is say in a months time then its reset back to the original 15 mins.

The times and report numbers are just examples not exactly how I should think it works.

I do think a rep should be involved, they should have access to the previous chat and I don't think players should have the ability to do anything more than block and report for the simple reason that we have seen how alts are abused to get governor votes and post on a gutless main accts behalf.

The system could also be used to report the incessant fabricated war decs that make WC a sea of red for no other reason than to spam. You know the ones where Chlamydia declares against certain body organs ( thats me being diplomatic LOL)

That would open things up for abuse of the block button. Entire alliance bans one person to have them banned from chat. With millions of players, it would have to be an automated system as reps couldn't watch every block. It's not humanly possible. It just wouldn't work.

Only reason we bring block button into this is cuz it doesn't actually work. If you accidently block someone, they remain blocked from mailing you, and there is no way to unblock since they don't appear on block list and you cannot add to friends list to undo it as it says 'user already existed' whatever that means. Same when you intentionally block someone. They cannot mail you, but they can still whipser and they still appear in AC and WC. So if they want to harass, there is no way to prevent them except to learn to ignore. It's a pan in the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Roisina View Post
    That would open things up for abuse of the block button. Entire alliance bans one person to have them banned from chat. With millions of players, it would have to be an automated system as reps couldn't watch every block. It's not humanly possible. It just wouldn't work.
    Which is why a block button report summons a rep with a full report of what was said.

Sure, I never claimed the reports or timing were correct but its the theory I'm interested in

Automated systems do not pick up on adjustments to spellings or context.

It needs to be a combination of automated, player report and an evony representative....which is supposedly what happens now!!!! Just ineffectively.

Its pretty hard to completely censor chat. We have a very large chat filter but people find new words and new spellings to bypass them. Unfortunately, crass people can be very creative.
    Legendary Hero

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKazza View Post

It needs to be a combination of automated, player report and an evony representative....which is supposedly what happens now!!!! Just ineffectively.
    Actually, I have seen people in World going. "I got banned for 5 mins for sayign the other word for donkey. Whoever the insertcursewordspelledwrong reported me is a blablabla." In which case they are wrong. The automated system bans for 5 mins. I have been silenced for saying Isn't it? on may occasions as it picks up on the bit in bold. Although I am partial to the odd curse word myself. I am Irish after all. lol.

Couldn't watch the whole thing... Guys voice was extremely annoying.