Thread: Let's Talk the Future of Evony (and Flash)

Default Let's Talk the Future of Evony (and Flash)

Two things we can all agree on:

1) Evony is run on Flash

2) Flash is outdated and slowly dying

So what's next? Is the company going to leave us in the dust as it speeds to the bank? Or is there a future in Evony we're not aware of? Is there something about the future of Flash I do not know?

good question considering I cant even sign in because of a 405 Not allowed Error. This whole game has gotten buggy. So I guess I have been force retired. lmao
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
    Mark Twain

Legends2 Officere NA30 Prinz / EG2 NA23 Prinz/ Massacre NA22 Furstin/ 3OOBC NA1: Furstin.

Evony has stated multiple times in the past they are not moving away from the flash format, even though it would allow them to solve quite a few problems. It's far too easy for players to use.

No company is going to move away from a format everyone understands just to cater to .01% of their customers who might have a problem.

This isn't just Evony's MO, every game company does it.
    SS37

Less QQ more PewPew

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy the 5 View Post
    cush has a point... and he is right
    Ya.

As we all saw from the accidental partial implementation in age 1 and age 2 servers, they are currently working on some sort of networking project that they plan to integrate into their servers. Overall we do not know much about the setup of this or what it will consist of. I would not be surprised if the main purpose of this is to tie into an age 3. Age 1 servers are dead so quickly these days and SSs are similar.

With atlantis being capped within a month of age 2 servers and coiners having such an advantage these servers are also dying at an increased rate.

Fan of BOTS!!! ( Auto-Bots Of Course )

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Light Year View Post
    As we all saw from the accidental partial implementation in age 1 and age 2 servers, they are currently working on some sort of networking project that they plan to integrate into their servers.
    The only thing evony is working on is a way to drain more money from the players. A total revamp of the client and server architecture is too much of a big investment for a dying game.

Evony is one of the most brilliant company's when it comes to income and investments ratio, i really admire them for that.

I agree with Ent as they have not replied to this in about the last 4 or 5 days in here or the othere community Support.Go greed.
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
    Mark Twain

Legends2 Officere NA30 Prinz / EG2 NA23 Prinz/ Massacre NA22 Furstin/ 3OOBC NA1: Furstin.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoDaVinci View Post
    Two things we can all agree on:

1) Evony is run on Flash

2) Flash is outdated and slowly dying

So what's next? Is the company going to leave us in the dust as it speeds to the bank? Or is there a future in Evony we're not aware of? Is there something about the future of Flash I do not know?
    And your suggestion??

Quote Originally Posted by Joey- View Post
    And your suggestion??
    Ok, I guess I can spell it out for you...

Evony is dying. Flash is a lost cause. No company in its right mind is going to stop constant revenue. So let's discuss this inevitable decline of popularity. Are players going to forget about the tens/hundreds/thousands of dollars they've spent on such a terrible farmville-like game when it decides to part ways with the buffalo and stick to its aged guns?

Are you a paying customer and satisfied with what seems to be a lazily-developed game? Let's face it...there are other formats they could use in Age III. So the suggestion is to discuss ways this game can continue to thrive. Otherwise...well...consider Age II the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey- View Post
    And your suggestion??
    i'm pretty sure joey meant, if not flash, then what?

lately i've found that flash has crashed more than usual, i have the latest version and i've tried a number of different browsers
    when my download has been shaped i can't run most flash games

i'm not very savvy when it comes to flash
    i've only found that almost every application i use via the net has a flash component

if evony doesn't run off flash, wouldn't you need to download the client?
    blessed are the geeks: for they shall inherit the earth

When looking at developing an online game, flash is still by far the most popular path. You can use your analytics, payment processing, online product and services and API's from third parties very easily, it also allows us as developers to integrate multiple other tools like java and html. Plus the power of AS is great no matter if it is a MMORTS, RPG or really any game genre.

Yes, there are new and amazing options like HTML5, MS Silverlight and even the new unity engine out there. However, with these, you still have the problem that they do not command near the amount of potential players, and many players aren't excited about having to download a file to play. Until they can command a significant market presence, there is no benefit in adopting them yet. This however is for online gaming played via a computing device, not a mobile one. The strategies on development for mobile vs pc are different. Just know that as flash holds the highest penetration in the market, it's most likely the best tool for game developers to get their game out to potential players. The cost in tools is relatively low, the level of highly experienced staff is high, the price on publishing is relatively low.

Flash is not going by the wayside at all anytime soon. Saying it is outdated and slowly dying when at least in the online pc games space it is the most preferred path seems to be your opinion but not shared with game developer studios. Will it one day be overtaken by some other product? Of course, count on that.

Evony still commands the top spot and benchmark when looking at freemium MMORTS products. With competitors taking the game and putting their own unique innovations, I think that's healthy for the competitive market and gives players an excellent advantage too in finding a game experience that clicks with them. While reviewing the online flash game space, while Evony has grown, the overall attrition rate for competitors has hit some troubling waters with many hitting over 40% loss rate YTD, although I don't blame Flash as the cause. Personally, I think it's because players want to play with friends and they want to have a challenging game. But just like ice-cream, every player has their favourite flavour of game and no one is right or wrong.

So! To answer this quickly: Yes Evony is run on flash. No, the technology and path is not outdated and there is no available tool/path yet that offers a better penetration rate on current online technology (mobile though is an issue). Are we leaving you in the dust? Not at all. I just have purchased even more state of the art servers and having them deployed at a new centre opened up so that your user experience improves. As for the future of Evony? The easiest way to answer that is it's where the players are. We are here with the promise of making great games that we enjoy playing and want to share it with the world.