Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Galactic Void (Apps/OOC)

Wherever we go, that's where the party's at

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Due to my having been told that my empire ought to be bigger, I have decided to include all 10 factions in it. This decision, due to the nature of my government, requires the Royal Pride to expand to 10 members. Ergo, due to the fact that i) these people play military roles as well as political/diplomatic ones; ii) I have no clue where Neko is on the map as yet, and therefore don't know which factions are closest to its borders, and so can not simply make chars for the leaders of those regions (reasoning behind this being border regions are probably more likely to be engaged in diplo); and iii) I like to micromanage (or so some dude said), there are now 10 leaders in government. As such, rather than actually go through and make a char for each leader (as I have started to), I am simply going to name them, their factions, the star systems they govern, their role in the military, their gender, and post pics of them (just so ya know what they look like, and 'cause pics of cat people are awesome). These people shall only appear at such intervals as is required for diplomatic or military purposes (unless I decide to keep one (or more) as chars). Otherwise, when I am finished, I shall make commoner chars, which shall be my actual character for purposes of character development. Honestly, I'll probably just keep a leader (or 2) for chars, but yeah. Just so ya know. As such, I am moving leaders to this post (and my next post), and reserving my original post for those I am going to actively participate as/develop as chars/etc. So, without further ado, the Royal Pride of the Neko Federation (in order of military rank).

Name: Kai
    Faction: Raion
    Star Systems: Pusa, Simba, Iljun, Leijona
    Portrait:
    ninjatextindentHe doesn't wear a Santa jacket though. Or the collar. I mean really. He does have standards ya know.

Name: Kalyan
    Faction: Theluji Chui
    Star Systems: Theluji Chui, Onza, Irbis, Nix Pardus
    Portrait:

Name: Keahi
    Faction: Tyhr
    Star Systems: Tyhr, Teigr, Tiikeri, Tijger
    Portrait:

Name: Khiara
    Faction: Qaplan
    Star Systems: Qaplan, Pantteri, Ciruttai, Con Beo
    Portrait:

Name: Kalliope
    Faction: Seulasoniui Iljong
    Star Systems: Seulasoniui Iljong, Q'ar'aq'al, Rooikat, Karakulak
    Portrait:
    ninjaindentanonymous (left), Kalliope (right)
    Last edited by LadyMariana; 10-03-2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Keahi wanted an updated portrait <_<

This stunning signature brought to you by: ChukNorris. Thanks Chuk! ^_^

Name: Khalida
    Faction: Giaguaro
    Star Systems: Giaguaro, Yaquar, Jaegyueo, Jaguarot
    Portrait:

Name: Keilani
    Faction: Oserotto
    Star Systems: Oserotto, Ocielot, Oslo, Oselotti
    Portrait:

Name: Keaton
    Faction: Ciruta
    Star Systems: Ciruta, Tsite, Chita, Jagluiperd
    Portrait:
    ninjaindentKeaton (left), unknown (right)

Name: Ketill
    Faction: Macan Dahan
    Star Systems: Macan Dahan, Nebelparder, Bulutlu Leopar, Pilvinen Leopardi
    Portrait:
    ninjaindentObviously, Ketill is not the actual cat.

Name: Kendis
    Faction: Poema
    Star Systems: Poema, Qwg'r, Puuma, Kugeo
    Portrait:
    Last edited by LadyMariana; 10-03-2012 at 03:28 AM.

How armor works:

Armor tends to have a certain durability as well as a certain thickness. Piercing armor requires a great deal of firepower in a single shot. Basically, the way armor works according to physics is it blocks against any amount of damage that is insufficient to penetrate it. It also protects against every attack equally.

While this sounds obvious, what this means is that in order to penetrate armor, more damage needs to be dealt in a single shot than the armor can resist. Multiple smaller shots are ineffective, as the armor provides the exact same resistance to each shot. To quantify, a 3000-damage shot would deal 1,000 damage against an opponent with an armor value of 2,000, as the first 2,000 damage is negated by the resistance of the armor.

However, ten 500-damage shots would deal a total of 0 damage, as the 2000 armor negates the first 2,000 damage of EACH shot. 500-damage shots can't penetrate, despite the fact that 10*500 = 5,000; 2,000 more total damage than the previous example. Although, it's also true that significant shots do chip away at armor, if they strike the same location enough times, but the wearing away of armor is gradual and takes a long time to show any real weak points, so unless fire is concentrated heavily on a single point, it's unlikely that the armor loss would ever be significant enough for the 500-damage weapon to pierce the 2000 points of armor.

It's also worth noting that armor protects with the SQUARE of its value against explosions, due to the nature of explosions to expand three-dimensionally in accordance with the inverse-square law of physics. So it would take an explosive force of some 4,000,000 damage to pierce that armor value of 2,000. However, the massive firepower of nuclear and antimatter weapons can easily exceed 4,000,000 damage on a direct hit (nukes are just THAT powerful. They blow up cities, after all), but a proximity blast is less likely to be effective (due to inverse square law of energy dispersion). But aside from WMDs, most explosive missiles can't damage armored targets. Kenetic-impact missiles and projectiles are more effective at doing so, provided they have armor-piercing warheads, sufficient mass, and sufficient velocity (KE = M*V^2)
    Last edited by Holeypaladin; 09-26-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigilstone17 View Post
    Holeypaladin is a pretty cool guy.
    I like swords.

Updated map cause of certain standing issues, that were unknown/unclear to me at the time I originally edited it.

Minor changes were made (mostly shifting my area to the right). Please take a look if you want.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

Just to clarify, my latest RP post involves a char from a previous RP (who most if not all of you should recognize), whose app has been edited into my original app in this thread. You may wish to take a quick look, as she has changed a bit since then.... as is evidenced in the RP.

Name: Jonus Kilter
    Age / Apparent age: 29(Unless otherwise stated, will assume all ages are measured in galactic-standard years.)
    Race: Achenaran
    Faction: Achenaran Imperium
    Position: Legion commander
    Rank (if applicable): General
    Description / Picture: 6'5". 210lbs. muscular, scarred. blue hair, green eyes.
    Skills / Proficiencies: Battlesuit operation, beam weapons (graviton plasma), sword fighting, tactics, strategy, survival.
    History: commander of 20 legions of marines, Jonus kilter is a well respected officer and battle field operations expert
    Last edited by GreyWind; 09-29-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Somewhere on this giant sphere we call Earth

K guys. Question, mainly for Holey. What is the timeframe of this rp in comparison to Dreadnaught?
    Arathorn, thanks so much! Its amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by billy711990
    wtf is up with excal on a 92 lvl hero?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne045
    meanwhile for 85 rounds the cav were bashing the dumb little scouts heads in as they cant move on defense.

Couple years and one major war later, but mostly the same time period.
    I like swords.

Somewhere on this giant sphere we call Earth

So then basically as long as my admiral didnt die, she can stay as my main character, and have same tech/ships/etc?
    Arathorn, thanks so much! Its amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by billy711990
    wtf is up with excal on a 92 lvl hero?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne045
    meanwhile for 85 rounds the cav were bashing the dumb little scouts heads in as they cant move on defense.

Yeah, basically. No huge changes in that regard.
    I like swords.