Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Galactic Void: To fill the power vacuum

"Lisa's taken quite a liking to you," said Drake as Sophie returned. "Seems she likes having another girl friend, besides just her mom, or something. Anyway, we still need to check on your sister, right?"

Anne still seemed somewhat upset about the match, but was getting over it. "That dragon knight is no fair," she pouted, "He's just... too good for me to just cheat him to victory."

"He's not fair because you can't cheat?" Drake asked in amusement. "You're sounding like a privateer, or something."

"Yes, well," Anne said with a shrug. "That's all your fault, James. Such an influence on me, and all that."

"She was cheating," Don clarified to Evie. "The dang AI girl was trying to hack the suit's programming while we fought, to predict my moves. So I had to punish her, and stuff."

He glanced out to the arena. "Well... I'm gonna need to get ready for my next match, I suppose. Hope you like it."

He went off to get ready for the next match, but before it started, he commed Evie, "When I make it to the finals, should I finish dramatically or use the safe method? Which would you prefer?"

"Agreed," said Thomas. "I'm pretty sure they're both better than the Furian, but the Furian might beat the ninja if they fight."

"We're in the eight round now," said the announcer. "And we'll see the grandmasters going up against each other in force. Who will win? Who is the greatest swordfighter in the galaxy? You'll find out soon! For the next match, we have... The Platinum Dragon Knight, versus.... Sir Gunther of the Imperial Guard!"

There seemed to be a great deal of excitement in the audience with the announcement of these fighters. It seemed this match was anticipated greatly.

"Sir Gunther..." said Donald III of Achenar when he saw his guard captain facing him with swords drawn. "It was my impression that I was not slotted to fight you until the finals."

"I switched with Hanzo," said Gunther. "Because I have no desire to draw my blade against My Emperor in the finals. But even less desire to drop out of the tournament. You were simply the most likely opponent to remove me before the final round."

"Glad to hear you think I'm better than Severus," said the Emperor with amusement. "Allow me to show you my true power."

He held his halberd before him, keeping Gunther at bay. Gunther still wielded his hand and a half and broadsword, stalking around the Emperor in appraisal.

"An effective weapon," said the Guard in approval. "But it won't be enough."

He charged forward, and Donald brought his halberd down in a chop. Gunther, however, parried it to the side and delivered a heavy chop with his own hand and a half sword.... clean through the shaft of the halberd, beheading it in a swift motion.

He didn't stop there, but kept charging forward, and Donald was forced to use his headless polearm as a quarterstaff in order to parry Gunther's blows long enough for him to retreat and draw his own schiavona and cinquedia.

"That... was impressive," said the Emperor. "I'm no slouch with a polearm, but you disarmed it just like that."

"I simply attacked the weak point," said Gunther. "Just like I will now exploit the weak points in your armor."

Gunther stepped forward, swinging heavy strokes with both swords, forcing the Emperor to parry and evade them. Gunther feined an opening to lure the Emperor into a counter attack, but he saw the feint and instead kicked Gunther in the leg with a low sweep.

Gunther grunted and rolled away and back to his feet, his armor protecting him completely from the two blows Donald III managed while his guard was down.

"Your armor fits your persona, Dragon Knight," said Gunther, "But it still lacks for protection, somewhat. Your gaps are too large."

Gunther thrust at a gap, but the Emperor managed to parry it aside and stepped in, delivering a thrust with the cinquedia through a joint under Gunther's pauldron. "Sometimes, an opening is there to lure you into attacking it," he commented, and Gunther stepped back, shrugging off the minor wound as if it didn't matter at all.

The Emperor delivered a quick feint, which Gunther fell for just long enough for him to get a quick jab in with the schiavona, hitting the Imperial Guard directly in an eyeslit.... and dealing only minor damage to the eye, as the broad blade was too thick to slide fully inside. Crap, the Emperor realized, A sword-rapier would have finished him right there.

Gunther grunted and growled at the wound, attacking in full force, with full strength. The Emperor parried and deflected the attacks, but one of them got through, sinking into one of his "too-large" gaps in his armor. The Emperor took the wound like a champ and ducked the follow up swing, sinking the cinquedia into Gunther's less-armored foot. He then yanked it out and drew it upward, sliding it under the guard's visor and ripping it off, causing a large facial wound as well.

Gunther took a mighty swing, and the Emperor decided it was time to end it. This is it, he thought, raising his cinquedia to block the attack... which powered through the cinquedia and removed the top part of Donald III's arm.

However, simultaneously, Donald's sword came up in another jab, and the unvisored Gunther lacked the protection required to prevent the schiavona from thrusting clean through his eye and brain.

The Emperor examined his missing limb. "He... took my hand off..." he said. "I'm so much weaker with these handicaps..."

"And the winner is the Platinum Dragon Knight!"

"This is a true battle between champions," said the commentator. "Gunther's skill is unquestionable, but to actually defeat the Invincible Guardian... this Dragon Knight possesses some sort of immeasurable skill. Not only did he find the weaknesses in Gunther's nearly flawless style, he also managed to defend against the relentless assault of the Imperial Guard Captain."

"It truly makes me wonder who is so skilled and yet so mysterious," said the announcer. "We'll be looking forward to seeing the Dragon Knight fight the last of our grandmasters in order to determine who will face the Achenaran Emperor himself in honorable combat!"
    Last edited by Holeypaladin; 11-16-2012 at 01:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigilstone17 View Post
    Holeypaladin is a pretty cool guy.
    I like swords.

"Alright, we have the Grandmaster Severus Black, versus Grandmaster Hattori Hanzo, a battle between Grandmasters!"

Severus wore a pair of daishō, but wore more protective armor. Knowing that Hanzo's style was more based on speed than power (unlike Gunther), he chose to wear armor that protected as many weak points as possible, while his fighting technique covered the rest.

Both men appeared at opposite ends of the arena, which consisted as usual of various types of terrain. This arena bore a striking resemblence of a long-ruined castle, overgrown by trees. Much of the place was crumbling, and so the ground was a bit treacherous on the upper levels, where Severus and Hanzo appeared.

As the match was about to begin, Severus wasted no time in drawing the longer uchigatana. He got into position on an upper layer, where the ground around him was treacherous. One wrong step would send one falling through the rocks and to the ruined floor below.

Hanzo chose an equally advantageous perch on the other end of the arena, but Severus highly doubted that Hanzo would stay there for long.

At any rate, this was going to be the finest hour for Severus. For too long he held back as others took the glory. Too long he simply sat in the darkness while he let others bask in light and glory... No more.

This time, he would show the galaxy what he was truly capable of.

"Begin!" The announcer called out.
    Last edited by Cosmic Fury; 11-10-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

"I've got it!" said Albert Hawking. "The trick is in the gravitonics!"

"But sir," said Wesley.

"Shut UP, Wesley!" growled Hawking. "Advanced Gravitonics laboratory came up with a breakthrough that'll solve this crisis. With greater density, we'll be able to halve the mass of our shield generators while providing the same shield strength, and enough density to effectively block those ghost particles as if they were any other particle beam!"

He glanced at the meson cannon they had reconstructed base off the reverse-engineering of the raiders' weapon. "Now we only need test it..."

"Won't we be able to just double our shield strength by doubling the power output?" asked Wesley.

"SHUT... oh, I just realized that rather than halving the mass of the shields, we can actually double their output! And also improve the function of all other graviton-based technologies as well. I am SUCH a genius!"

He muttered. "I'm sure Weapons Division will want to use this breakthrough on their graviton plasma beams as well. But it can't be helped. If this is our trick to shield against the meson cannons, the rest just comes with the territory. It's almost too simple to be true..."

He read a report from the nanotech division. "Pshaw. And to think this 'living metal' contraption that Nanotech came up with was the best idea they had until now. Self-repairing hulls? That's the best THEY came up with during this crisis?"

The Emperor descended into the Royal Pavilion to watch Hanzo's fight. He stopped near Keahi to watch the fight.

"This will be a good match..." he said to no one in particular. "But it is irrelevant. The tournament winner was decided in that last round. Both of those fighters were better than these two."

He watched as Hanzo opened the fight by throwing twin blades with precision aim straight at Severus' eye slits, using the distraction to sink into cover seamlessly in order to ambush the samurai.
    Last edited by Holeypaladin; 11-13-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    I like swords.

Wherever we go, that's where the party's at

"I see," Sophie replied, taking a seat. "And yeah, we should do that, but she's got options if she needs an out from there." She listened to the interchange about Anne's last match. "You tried to cheat there, and still lost?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "He must be damned good. Not fair because you can't cheat though... well, makes quite a nice bit of irony, that does."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I see," Evie said. "Some form of justice, that is." There was a brief silence, then Don mentioned something about getting ready to fight his next match. "Kidoke. Good luck with that," she replied. After a few moments, shortly before his match began, he commed her with a question on how she thought he should finish. "Um," Evie said, rather confused by it. "I dunno. Whichever way you want, I guess."

"He may," Kalyan concurred. "Ninja's got quite a nice speed vantage though. Think it depends upon if the Furian can force the close combat. Not that the ninja is bad with a sword; not in the least, but he's a surer win if he stays out of that I think. Should be quite an interesting match though, either way."

Keahi heard a voice nearby commenting on the match, and turned to see the Achenaran Emperor. "Well, thank you, Captain Obvious," she replied, teasing him. "And are you enjoying the tournament?"

This stunning signature brought to you by: ChukNorris. Thanks Chuk! ^_^

"Well, I for one expect him to win the whole dang tournament," said Anne. "If he can beat me, he can beat anyone! Even that guy who beat James!"

"He's fighting that 'guy who beat James' right now," said Drake, nodding to the fights. "Take a look."

As he watched the glorious victory over Gunther, he nodded. "Well... at least he avenged me." He glanced to Sophie. "By the way... what's your preferred fighting style? Short blades? Any aims to participate in a future tournament? Anne has a pretty good training program, if you're considering it."

After his victory over Gunther, Don managed a short trip back to Evie. "My next match is really soon," he said, "But I want to see this ninja guy kick the crap out of the Furian. Actually..." he took a closer look, "That's Severus. Remember him? He's the guy who recovered Masamune after the death of Gilgamesh... if he possesses all the skills in that sword, he just might be able to beat Hanzo. Which would be quite the upset, as far as the Achenarans are concerned."

Donald III blinked a few times after hearing Keahi's statement. "Wow..." he said, "That reminds me of something... a friend once said, shortly after meeting me."

He did a quick Spynet inquiry on the recent history of Alaula. "Actually..." he said, "This friend... is one of your kind, it seems. Apparently, she's the long-lost sister of your Qaplan Saja. Would it be weird if I sent her a message saying hi, considering that she probably doesn't even remember me?"

"And to answer your question," he added, "I'm finding the tournament quite interesting. And yourself? Are you favoring anyone in particular to win the tournament?"
    I like swords.

The loud sound of a ruined building collapsing resounded througout the arena, where Severus just buried the stash of weapons that had been thrown at him for the duration of close to the last hour.

They both played a very elaborate game of cat-and-mouse, preying on each other, but until this point Hanzo had the upper hand. He had given Severus numerous minor wounds all over weak points in his armor, but Severus had also scored a couple major points, most notably hitting the back of Hanzo's leg very hard with a brick.

The throw had been well-timed and well-executed, but it was aimed at Hanzo's head. However, the ninja barely saw the savagely thrown missile coming, and leaped out of the way and out of sight. However, the stone had struck his leg very hard instead, and right now it was coming back to haunt him.

Severus hid behind the corner of another building, not far away. In this large arena, there was almost no end to the coverage available, and it was pretty incredible (at least to him) that he managed to survive for this long, with Hanzo's rather crazy selection of throwing weapons.

This whole thing had taken up the better part of a half-hour, and both had the chance to rest. Severus made sure not to stray too far from that building he had managed to cave in though, or else his painstaking work of depriving Hanzo of crap to throw would all get flushed down the nearest toilet.

He sheathed his short sword, and carefully picked up a smaller-sized rock to lure Hanzo out for the last time. This time, he was sure to outflank the guy, as he did notice the rock strike his leg.

The pebble clattered about twenty feet away, and Severus projected that Hanzo would come out of a well-protected place near it. He moved to flank that area (never straying from the fallen building), when he heard another clatter, which sounded vaguely like a dragging foot.

He heard more rustling, and he decided to make a break for it -- and so did Hanzo. The two men ended up in the outer areas of the courtyard, at the heart of the castle, and the worst happened to each of them: they were seen by the other, with nothing to throw at one another, because this was one of the few truly intact places of the entire arena.

"It's a good match, but I'm afraid it ends here." Hanzo strode forward with his weapons ready, but Severus's trained eyes detected the slight limp in his leg.

As if that's going to do a world of good. He looked at Hanzo with a calm look that wasn't even typical of him. "Yeah, it was a good match. I've never gotten stomped in any sort of fight, but you've really made me work hard to keep that reputation intact."

"My job is to kill people. What can I say? At least I'm affiliated with someone." Hanzo grinned. In an extremely ironic twist of events, it wasn't Severus being the ass, it was his opponent for once.

"I'm not someone's personal guard dog. They say 'Sic 'em Hanzo!' and you go kill them!" Severus retained the calm expression, which genuinely annoyed the ninja, who had read up all about this man's traits. Right before him, he was throwing them all out the window.

"Before you ask what sort of a man I am, I will tell you. I, like many others, wear an elaborate mask." Severus readied himself, as did Hanzo. "I only have one principle, and it goes like this: I believe in only the freedom to defend those you care about, and screw all the rest if you're able to do at least that. If everyone has that freedom, then few others need to be enforced."

"Then does that mean you've got someone you care about? I'm pretty sure you aren't defending anyone in your mad expeditions everywhere." Hanzo grinned, knowing he had struck a weak point. Right now, it was a battle of words, and Hanzo had the upper hand. The winner was the one who had a much greater advantage when the actual fight began.

"I've got one or two. Most are gone. I'll tell you what. If I win, you answer my question truthfully, and I'll only ask one in that manner. If I lose, I'll answer one of yours in the same manner." Severus still remained in a very relaxed posture, as if this fight was merely trip to the park, which almost took Hanzo off-guard.

This one had nerves of steel, but by the looks of it, he was strong for a reason -- a good one, which Hanzo was determined to find out. In spite of all of the facts he had about him, "Severus Black" still remained a mysterious person compared to most of the ones he knew about.

"It's a deal. You've got my word as an Achenaran that I'll honor it. Do I have yours?" Hanzo got ready to begin the final stage of the fight in earnest.

"You sure do." Then they clashed, Hanzo using his sai to parry Severus's shorter sword, while his own sword dealt with the longer one. In spite of Severus's efforts to break through Hanzo's defense to score a few hits, he couldn't get past it, and the same held true for Hanzo, more so because of the armor that protected the Furian.

In spite of it all, Severus moved with unexpected speed and vigor, in spite of his many wounds, however superficial they were. Hanzo's speed and skill saved him from the Furian's onslaught, and he was surprised that there was actually one out there who exhibited such skill.

"They must have had good schools back in your day." Hanzo tried striking up a conversation to soften up the Furian's iron concentration and focus, but the guy refused to speak. "With what I see here, they should call you the Iron Dragon instead of the Black Dragon. It suits you."

Severus merely grinned from inside his helmet. Hanzo had his homework all done. Concluding that listening to Hanzo's words was like listening to the devil's, he simply tuned them out and pressed his advantage of armor and weight upon Hanzo.

Eventually, it became clear who the winner was ultimately going to be, as Severus took up a near-perfect stance and used his longer sword to attack and the shorter to defend, maneuvering himself and his weapons so that Hanzo's sai had almost zero offensive presence.

Right now, they were in Severus's element this time around. He was the master of the sword, and in spite of the blows that Hanzo managed to land on Severus, he took them like a beast and dished them back with just as much force and precision.

After a while, it came to a point where Hanzo's extremely light armor proved to be his bane. Hanzo had Severus's smaller daisho locked with his sai, and their two longer swords were clashing in a contest close to their hilts. Taking a risk, Severus actually withdrew his short sword, which left Hanzo open to stab him in the joint where the shoulder met the cuirass, where he had been aiming for the whole time.

However, at the same time, Severus brought his short sword in and stabbed Hanzo in the gut upwards, piercing his heart and rearranging his insides in the process, in spite of the fact that one of the sai's two side blades clipped his arm rather badly.

Seeing Hanzo's sword slack, Severus took no chances, took his shorter sword, and cut his throat before another blow could be struck with the sai -- before Severus's own wounded short sword arm went limp from both the strain and the wound.

"And the winner is Severus Black! He moves onto the final round, against the Platinum Dragon Knight!"

"This was truly an epic test of endurance, and neither contestant showed no shortage of skill in their arena. However, it was Severus's persistence and endurance that eventually gave him the win, in this match of strength versus speed! We will see you in the final round!" The commentator shouted to an immensely pleased audience, and rambled on.

In the meantime, Severus got out of the sim suit area, clearly very exhausted with this taxing match. He nearly lost several times, and needed to commend his adversary for his skill. He almost never met his match, and this time was very different from the rest.

He went up the Royal Pavilion, in order to ask where Hanzo was. He had a bet to collect on.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

Wherever we go, that's where the party's at

"Well, there's your new boyfriend then," Sophie said teasingly. "Seeing as you don't date losers and such." Noticing the fight going on, she turned her attention to that, and sure enough the Dragon Knight won. "Yep. So he did," she concurred. "As to my fighting... eh." Sophie shrugged. "Tend to fight with what I've got, which is my knives and a sword. Throwing knives, really, but sometimes can use 'em like daggers if I have a need to. Dunno 'bout tournaments really.... not sure I've got them skills, but might be something to try sometime."

"Um." Evie looked at the fellow, confused for a moment. "Oh. So it is. Harder for me to remember the ones I met later, or who I knew for less time. Only ones I still recall well are ones who stood out to me, who I was close to I s'pose. Or if there's something specific about them that kind of stood out." She shrugged. "Should be an interesting match, ya. Think that your last one decided it though." The match was excessively long, and not too exciting until near the end, but the Furian in fact pulled the upset. "Good luck with that one," she said. "Not that you need it much. Did you decide how to end it yet?"

"Well," Keahi said, raising an eyebrow. "I'm not quite sure that that's accurate info. I mean, Khiara.... well, I guess it could be, given as how her mom ran off and whatnot. S'posing she has one she might like to meet her, given her quest to learn more of her mother. Not sure I'd bother if I was Khiara, since it quite seems that the woman cared not for her and she might find things she won't want to know, but I can see why she wants to as well so, meh. That would be way beyond weird though, I mean, for you to go message the girl.... 'specially if she won't even remember you really. Sorry, but yeah. As for the tournament... well, bit late to ask that one, given there's only two left, but I would lean to the Dragon Knight winning I think. It's been rather interesting to watch though, all in all."

This stunning signature brought to you by: ChukNorris. Thanks Chuk! ^_^

"Hmm...." said Anne, thinking over Sophie's suggestion. "A new boyfriend?"

She glanced to Drake.

"Maybe I should ditch this loser..."

"You lost too," said Drake.

"I'm just kidding," said Anne, leaning against Drake. "I could never abandon my creator."

"Er... I don't... recall creating you," he said, scratching his head. "I never really did pass any of them computer programming tests."

Just then, the next fight was announced, and he turned his attention to it. "He's going to do it, isn't he?"

"Boring fight is boring," muttered Don as the Hanzo fight dragged on. "Seriously, just end it. Someone."

"Ah well..." he shrugged. "Looks like he'll be too tired to put up much fight in the next round. It can't be helped..."

He looked over Evie to the time, thinking about her question. "Hmm...." he said.

Eventually he gave her hand a gentle squeeze, and offered her a smile. "I'm going to go win this tournament now. I.... have enjoyed our time together, however brief it may be. I don't know if I'll be able to see you home, but..." he gave her the keycard to the hovercab. "It's yours. It's got a warp drive and a pilot program, so it can take you back to Ferro if I'm unable to catch you after this match. Cheer my on while I beat this dude down, would ya?"

He stood up and offered a brief wave before heading down to get ready for the final match.

"I suppose you're right..." said the Emperor. "I never did understand people so well. That's why I don't generally do the diplo thing... I leave that for people who know how."

He shrugged. "You do know I'm supposed to fight the winner, right? Nice to see you have confidence enough in my skill to figure I'll lose to this dragon knight character."

He chuckled. "I may surprise you yet, though. Just you wait."

With that, he made his departure.

Severus wasn't authorized to enter the Royal Pavilion, but Gunther did approach him briefly. "Don't you have a match to get ready for? If you're looking for Hanzo, I believe he said something about answering your question the next time you see him. I understand he can be difficult to find, though, so good luck with that."

"You really should get to your fight," said the Imperial Guard. "You'll be disqualified if you aren't there on time."

"We've reached the point of the tournament where we're deciding on our finalists," said the announcer. "The winner of this next match will decide which champion has the honor of facing the Emperor of Achenar himself in single combat."

"Anticipation is in the air," said the commentator. "I hope this match is less boring than the last one."

"You said it," said the announcer. "But this just in. It appears... it appears the Platinum Dragon Knight has been permitted to address the audience. So without further ado, we will receive the address from our mysterious Platinum Dragon Knight himself! Let's see what he has to say!"

Donald III took a deep breath, and he appeared in the arena, dressed in the stylized platinum plate armor. He looked around at the crowd. It seemed these people were quite interested in what he had to say.

"I am the Platinum Dragon Knight," he said to the crowd. "I have fought my way through eight rounds of this tournament. Eight rounds against some of the most difficult opponents in the galaxy. And I prepare now for the ninth and final round of this tournament."

He took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Evie," he commed the girl, "But you should know the truth."

"I will not be participating in the tenth round, even should I win this one," he said finally. "For I cannot fight against myself."

Just then, the armor changed form. It altered its shape from the dragon-stylized armor to a Maximilian style full plate armor. Only this was not just Maximilian style... it was more the armor of an Emperor himself. Complete with the Emerald Crown of Achenar atop his helmet.

"I am Donald III, Emperor of Achenar. And I will now accept the challenge of the finalist of the tournament, Severus Black. Come take me on... if you can."
    I like swords.

Severus took a single small vial of something out of a pocket, and downed its contents. It tasted horrible, but some of the best energy supplements came at a cost.

He wasted no time in getting into a sim suit, and when he appeared, it was in a red suit of armor, quite unlike the darker colors he had been using for the whole tournament.

In addition to his uchigatanas, he had a heavier battleaxe strapped to his back in the same fashion he liked to have it, along with various small throwing weapons -- because he decided to take a page out of Hanzo's book this time around.

"Well, I'm here to take you on, just because I can. So here you see me now, in all my shining glory." He said it in a way that didn't sound glorious at all, having noted the fact beforehand that the two finalists could have their words before the match began, away from the prying ears of the public.

"You asked for a fight, so I'll give you one. It may not be as hard as Gunther was, but that doesn't mean you're gonna get away with this challenge scot-free." He noted that the whole battlefield was flat, unlike most of the others that he had fought in.

There were no obstacles to take advantage of, no pits, no rocks, not even rocks to throw. Severus's expression became equally as fierce as his helmet. Suddenly getting an idea, he suddenly said something in the ancient, compact language that he would have spoke everyday, had Old Furia survived that blasted supernova. After all, Donald III was the Achenaran Emperor, and as such he should know how to speak and understand this language, with all his chrysalis treatments and whatnot.

"Since you're probably going to win anyway, try to entertain the audience anyway. They're gonna want to see a good fight, and I always have liked interesting opponents." He grinned, waiting to see if his opponent understood the light joke that Severus just made about the Achenaran's reputation.
    Last edited by Cosmic Fury; 11-17-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

The Emperor chuckled. "Hello again, Severus. Been awhile. How's that Masamune treating you?"

He drew forth a sword custom-tailored to suit him, broad-bladed, but long and with a rapier tip. His offhand drew a shorter blade of similar design.

"I'm afraid I won't be able to go easy on you. You see, I am quite familiar with your skill level... I used that Masamune too, before we met in the simulated world. So give me everything you've got, and be ready to take what I give. And perhaps after this is over, I might have a job offer for you."

"Begin!" shouted the announcer, and with lightning speed, the Achenaran Emperor delivered a lightning jab with his sword, straight for Severus' eye.
    I like swords.