Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast

Thread: Galactic Void: To fill the power vacuum

"Dragos...." said the Emperor. "You'll need to take care of that situation before making the oaths... otherwise it would qualify as giving up Achenaran territory to a foreign power, which is.... unacceptable. I might have to talk to Helen at some point too, I suppose."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigilstone17 View Post
    Holeypaladin is a pretty cool guy.
    I like swords.

- Koslenko Residence, the city of Diamond Spire, Blacksmoke -

Konstantin absent-mindedly whistled a tune from his youth - he learned the music from some Kanzl friend who was serving onboard the same ship as himself; Schumacher was his name. Konstantin wondered how Schumacher was doing - he was a jovial guy, would be a shame if he was dead. He accidentally bumped into one of his servants, who began to apologise profusely. Konstantin smiled and put a finger to his lips.

"There are times often when the noble man is at fault for a mistake; now is one of those times, my good man. I'm dreadfully sorry, there's a lot on my mind right now."

"With the arrival of the Shadowstrider and Aleaniryn families? I dare say that weighs heavily on you, sir."

"Indeed it does. Excuse me, but I've never actually had a chance to learn your name; I rarely speak to servants like yourself - Lynessa keeps you away from me, I take it?"

The servant shifted nervously. "W-well... yes, sir, she does. Er... my name's Briain."

"Then please accept my apology, Mr. Briain." Konstantin left the servant bewildered, but also slightly thankful. Konstantin returned to his chambers and started getting ready for his visitors. Lynessa, strangely, was nowhere to be seen, but Konstantin assumed she was organising things; he was fairly incompetent at organisation in a domestic sense. Sure, he was good at military strategy, but when it came to the home, he would be left floundering. This was why he didn't control a system; far too much administrative work for him to do!

"Then you should talk to her. She's in this very building, and while she's very intelligent, she's also extremely direct about such matters. If you want to give it a shot at trying to get her to join the Imperium of her own accord, you should do it yourself, because otherwise she'll think you're a man with no guts as well as little personality by sending a poster boy, no matter how important the messenger OR the message is." Adrian grinned.

He was right at least about one thing. His mother was an entirely different sort of person than he was. While she was good at manipulating people, she still preferred to be direct first and foremost in all important matters -- even if it was on the receiving end.

"She's not quite like me in that arena. She will accuse you of being spineless, and trust me, she won't sugar-coat her words, much less bother hiding the fact that she'd hold you in spite from that day on... Yeah, she can be pretty harsh, but life made her that way, unfortunately." Adrian brushed off his uniform, and saw Helen out of the corner of his eye.

As she approached their position, Adrian conveniently disappeared for the moment, as it was plain to see that it wasn't her son that Helen was looking for this time.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

Noting the queen of Dragos, the Emperor directed his attention to her. He forced an aura of calm about himself... she wasn't a girl, he reminded himself, just a politician. That made it easier.

"Queen Helen," he said, "Evening. Are you looking for me, or is it someone else? I have.... news, that you might be interested in."
    I like swords.

She second she took the guy in, she noted that he was definitely nervous, in spite of the stoic appearance he had taken on. Seeing that, and also noting the rather forced mask he was trying to wear, she chose deliberately to go with a rather flippant attitude.

"Relax, I'm not here to flirt, if that's what you're thinking." Having taken care of the second-hand rejection in amusement, she continued doggedly. "And yes, I was looking for you. So, what sort of news is it? Something interesting, I hope?"

Having taken her second potshot in the same set of comments, she decided to lay off and let the guy breathe. She had pretty much stuck around for the meeting, but wanted to see what the Emperor was doing in Adrian's embassy - something that was interesting in and of itself.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

"Well..." he said, more or less ignoring the queen's first comment, "I just finished a conversation with your son. Incredible young dude, that one. Recently figured out just why, but... well, that's a different topic."

"You see..." he said, "We concluded that it's in both of our best interests to join forces permanently. Military, economically, and... politically. But rather than forcing you and your people into this arrangement, Adrian has decided to pass the crown of Dragos back to you before signing our Mandate."

"This deal is open to you, as well," he continued. "Ten years ago, Dragos would have been too far away for such an idea to be feasible, but, well... times are changing rapidly, as is transportation technology. But that again is a different topic. The main advantage, other than the obvious boost to, well, everything.. for you, personally, at least, is that you would never be forced to be placed into a position of opposition against your own son... who will most likely live for a very, very long time."
    I like swords.

"I thought he'd do that. He's always been good at getting stuff done, and this is just another step for him to secure his own future." Helen paused. "He's always thinking in the long-term. No doubt he sees a lot of potential here."

She paused. She knew why Adrian did that, and she was also free to do as she pleased now. "And if he actually is willing to give up a lot of his rights, I might as well follow suit. Just one question though: Are you going to pay off my country's national debt if I join?"

They both knew that a supremely heavy chunk of said debt was owned personally by her son. She may be getting the crown, but there were still some massive strings attached to it, regardless of what either of them might say.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

"Ah yes... the debt..." said the Emperor. "Suffice to say... by the end of the transitional period, it will be gone. Part of the transition includes developing your economy to be more... technologically advanced, as well as completely compatible with the rest of the Imperial economy."

"Although... due to the high population of Draconian territories, and the fact that your tech levels are a bit lower than those of Mashiro and the other Furian worlds, I would say that your transitional period is likely to be longer than that of Adrian's territories. But your actual authority in the Council of Kings... may very easily exceed his, by the time your transition is complete."
    I like swords.

"I may hold the power, but there's the fact that I'm still deeply indebted to him... not to mention the fact that he's my son, and is going to get the kingdom back eventually anyway. He is my next of kin." Helen actually shuffled her feet nervously. It almost galled her to admit that someone else was responsible for her own independence, but it was true.

And at least her creditor happened to be her son anyway. "My son literally bought my kingdom simply so that whoever is in charge can make their own decisions. He bought my freedom from someone who could only be dethroned if we were freed from the mess his half-brother started. I may have been given this crown, but in the end he has my loyalty."

"In the end, whatever I decide, it's still effectively his kingdom. Giving me its crown is pretty much his way of telling me that I'm in charge of it. So, I'm joining the Imperium, but in the end I'm still going to give my loyalty to the one who gave everything I was in danger of losing back to me."
    Last edited by Cosmic Fury; 12-10-2012 at 03:20 AM.
    Formerly known as Jurnis

The Emperor shrugged. "Your reasons are your own. But next of kin is starting to mean very little when you can live as long as you please... no matter. I will accept both of your pledges tomorrow, then, before I go on my vacation. Glad to have you with us, Queen Helen. Now I believe your son wishes to give you back your crown as a formality before the events of tomorrow."
    I like swords.