scout: 26338
    swords: 175666
    archers: 137936
    cavs: 25004
    trans: 5899
    phracts: 5004
    rams: 13
    ballys: 2624
    and then your walls, This is a nice start off compact defense for none botters to start off with or new players hope this helps

After reading this it seems you have differing layers of compact defense. The first two you listed are basically pointless, as it can take the same amount of troops you have in the city to clear the city. When defending, you want to set up so that the attackers lose more troops than you did. I can think of quite a few ways to clear the first two with minimal troop loss.

The third is also a compact D, however built fairly decently. I would use something like this in my production cities, however as a server gets older, this defense becomes really aged, really quick. A few naked mech waves would take this out pretty quickly.

I usually see these stages of defense in a server from an experienced veteran player:

5k, with arch heavy.
    Mech D, usually rams heavy.

Then once they have an insta AT hero they then go to a compact D with an arch shield over their mechs. Easy enough. Somebody even recently posted some reports with this on the forums.

--

This is well done for compact D styles, however I like to have quite a bit more in each of my cities. +1
    Sig by Jade

S131, 148, 156, 165 (retired)

I usually have 10K of each troop, and heavy arch or layers and mech.
    People demand 100K arch within weeks on new servers. Its a WTF? Ill get you 1M arch, but no layers, it doesn't take a lot to wipe it.
    Oh well.

Being confident and knowing how to defend will always be better than just having the troops.

The biggest asset to a defender is knowing how to attack. Because if you know what the attacking waves that are coming at you are going to do, you can adjust your defense accordingly.
    Sig by Jade

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi View Post

The biggest asset to a defender is knowing how to attack. Because if you know what the attacking waves that are coming at you are going to do, you can adjust your defense accordingly.
    I do care to slightly disagree, but also agree

You can know how to defend all you like but if you dont got the troops to defend with than your screwed irreguardless of your knowledge.

By the amazing Luda

Quote Originally Posted by david_k700 View Post
    You can know how to defend all you like but if you dont got the troops to defend with than your screwed irreguardless of your knowledge.
    That i can disagree on. It wouldnt be the first time ive defended with nothing, and forced enemys to either throw more to stump me, or bugger off. If they continue it gives me time to get the correct troops to defend propperly to the location.

While you do need some troops to begin with any normal player has ample to defend any wave between a few citys. Even a low upkeep player, or part timer.

Sig Courtesy Of Sickness!
    Bomben - Great Phract Smack - My History
    Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    ssssssssffffdrdrawers. You can't tell me to stop being who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ssfgrgawer View Post
    That i can disagree on. It wouldnt be the first time ive defended with nothing, and forced enemys to either throw more to stump me, or bugger off. If they continue it gives me time to get the correct troops to defend propperly to the location.

While you do need some troops to begin with any normal player has ample to defend any wave between a few citys. Even a low upkeep player, or part timer.
    Ah but that is my point, you are required to have an ample army,thus needing troops to first begin with

By the amazing Luda

Yep, I've been caught with my pants down a few times - twice in a city where I sent the majority of my army off to reinforce someone else.

I held out for the first set of waves (8 or 9) then had to truce so the other person could keep my troops since he had a better chance at winning his fight. I only had 100k arch and maybe 10k balls 500 ram 3k pault with minimal layers in my city and killed somin close to 700k arch.

Defenders have the definite advantage being that the max amount of troops they will ever have to fight is 125k. Now people can send multiple waves, but the rounds will be in your favor.
    Sig by Jade

Nice guide, good info in there