Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 166

Thread: Bring Back Red Rep!

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Bring Back Red Rep!

    the rep system on these forums is clearly broken. theres ppl going around with hyper inflated rep, some of which is deserved, some of which is not, and no im not referring to thalin.

    its a bit pointless to have a rep system when all you can tell ppl is how awesome their posts are. there are many other more active vbulletin forums that run a red and green repping systems successfully so i dont understand why this one doesnt do it anymore.

    red rep is an extremely useful tool, instead of some posters straddling the line to ensure they dont get an infraction, they would now have to consider how the community reacts to their posts. also its far better than what we have now. where if one user disagrees with anothers post. he/she is more likely to flame the other with a picture or some other manner to show how much of a fool that person is. now ask yourselves which is better, the public flaming or a private comment to that person which they might learn from?

    also if theres one or 2 ppl using it because theyve some personal issues with you, it shouldnt make that much of a difference, red repping is half what a user can give out of green rep. if youre receiving several red reps well then perhaps the problem is not with them but with you and you might learn a little something. if theres ppl continously abusing the power, give the mods the abilitly to take it away.

    bearing all this in mind i really dont get why it has been taken away.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a big TreeHouse where i shoot zombies!
    Posts
    201

    Default

    i am going to have agree with you there red rep would help this forum keep it in line and not poopy people off.
    Last edited by Alusair; 11-02-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    !xF3AR3VILx!
    20th November- "You are here to feed my army."

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xF3AR3VILx View Post
    i am going to have agree with you there red rep would help this forum keep it in line and not pi$$ people off.
    to an extent lol, particularly with the recent mod shortage.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cracking my whip
    Posts
    3,803

    Default

    The reason why red rep was removed from the vast majority of forum goers was because of the amount of tension it caused.

    Mods were receiving PM's daily complaining about so and so red repping the complainant and how it was unfair, blah, blah, blah..... And if that wasn't enough nearly every week there was a new thread discussing the unfairness of red rep and how it was being abused.

    In short, people took it very personally. Rep whatever forum your're on really doesn't mean that much. Sure, it looks good when you first glance at it but after a while you realise it's been accumulated by that person being a regular poster. Some posters only post once in a while and though they may not have so much rep, they can construct an equally good post.

    Regarding my rep, if I was screenshot my rep box at the last count I reckoned it'll take about 18 screenies that would need gluing together. I haven't looked at it recently and quite frankly I really can't be bothered. I know acer did one a while back which was akin to war and peace. He may have a lot but he did earn his rep.

    If by saying that some people have more than they should, well you'll find that's normally down 'rep rings'. The main aim of these is to keep repping each other to increase each others rep and see how much you can grow it to.

    Really the rep system should be done away with altogether and try something like badges for certain achievements on the forum. In my humble opinion they would mean a helluva a lot more than a number.

    Thanks to Infinitus for the epic B'day pressie!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Waiting for cushseth to rep me.
    Posts
    1,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan le Fay View Post
    The reason why red rep was removed from the vast majority of forum goers was because of the amount of tension it caused.

    Mods were receiving PM's daily complaining about so and so red repping the complainant and how it was unfair, blah, blah, blah..... And if that wasn't enough nearly every week there was a new thread discussing the unfairness of red rep and how it was being abused.

    In short, people took it very personally. Rep whatever forum your're on really doesn't mean that much. Sure, it looks good when you first glance at it but after a while you realise it's been accumulated by that person being a regular poster. Some posters only post once in a while and though they may not have so much rep, they can construct an equally good post.

    Regarding my rep, if I was screenshot my rep box at the last count I reckoned it'll take about 18 screenies that would need gluing together. I haven't looked at it recently and quite frankly I really can't be bothered. I know acer did one a while back which was akin to war and peace. He may have a lot but he did earn his rep.

    If by saying that some people have more than they should, well you'll find that's normally down 'rep rings'. The main aim of these is to keep repping each other to increase each others rep and see how much you can grow it to.

    Really the rep system should be done away with altogether and try something like badges for certain achievements on the forum. In my humble opinion they would mean a helluva a lot more than a number.
    from my conversations with some of the mods it was a small clique of memebers that abused this power and a small number of drama queens who complained about the ability. several forums run such a system successfully so i dont know why this should be any different. the dramas of a small few should not impact on the community as a whole and cause everyone else to suffer due to their actions/issues

    ill point you to miraculixs post morgan, it outlines why it should be brought back and to me she makes perfect sense
    Last edited by tipperary1; 11-02-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling


    Quote Originally Posted by cushseth View Post
    I don't care if your bad. But don't teach other people your badness.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiTard View Post
    This little pony just remortgaged for more war ports.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Creating Perfect Chaos
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    red rep is an extremely useful tool, instead of some posters straddling the line to ensure they dont get an infraction, they would now have to consider how the community reacts to their posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    also if theres one or 2 ppl using it because theyve some personal issues with you, it shouldnt make that much of a difference, red repping is half what a user can give out of green rep.
    These two points contradict each other. Red rep has no value other than to flame, insult, etc other users. Also, what Morgan said about rep rings also falls into play here. Members of rep rings could care less about other users red-repping them. They can build it back in no time and simultaneously destroy their 'assailant' red-repper's rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    now ask yourselves which is better, the public flaming or a private comment to that person which they might learn from?
    Neither. And i'd argue that the public flaming is better because mods can see it and infract/delete accordingly. That is the problem with rep. The only way to report it is to screenshot it, which can be shopped and isn't viable for the majority of our less tech-savy users. I can't speak for the admins or SMods though.
    Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    if theres ppl continously abusing the power, give the mods the ability to take it away.
    Though we can certainly reduce users' ranks to Civilians, I think that's about all we could do in this case. But again, where is the proof going to come from that people are abusing? SSs can be shopped.

    Red-rep is currently useful in the hands of Historic Posters+ because these users can (hopefully) be trusted to provide constructive criticism of the post they red-rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan le Fay View Post
    Really the rep system should be done away with altogether and try something like badges for certain achievements on the forum. In my humble opinion they would mean a helluva a lot more than a number.
    I'm in favor of this. However, I would like the rep system to stay. Purely because I enjoy reading the comments sometimes and going back to where they link me in order to read humorous conversations of the past.


    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    "
    - Albert Einstein

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric0095 View Post


    These two points contradict each other. Red rep has no value other than to flame, insult, etc other users.
    i fail to see how those 2 points contradict each other. also you say that as if its a statement of a fact. it is not, that is an opinion. Red rep has much value as can be seen from my original post.

    Quote Originally Posted by eric0095 View Post

    Also, what Morgan said about rep rings also falls into play here. Members of rep rings could care less about other users red-repping them. They can build it back in no time and simultaneously destroy their 'assailant' red-repper's rep.
    for ppl that display such immaturity(id be surprised to see it among the current active membership) they need to have the power removed from them. or receive other heavy punishments for such actions.

    Quote Originally Posted by eric0095 View Post

    Neither. And i'd argue that the public flaming is better because mods can see it and infract/delete accordingly. That is the problem with rep. The only way to report it is to screenshot it, which can be shopped and isn't viable for the majority of our less tech-savy users. I can't speak for the admins or SMods though.
    so you think a bunch of ppl ganging up on 1 poster for the viewing pleasure of the whole community is better? im not understanding your logic here. think about it. its less work for the mods having to delete the posts and less work for members whove to sort through the crapola to get to the heart of the topic of the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by eric0095 View Post

    Though we can certainly reduce users' ranks to Civilians, I think that's about all we could do in this case. But again, where is the proof going to come from that people are abusing? SSs can be shopped.
    i couldve sworn mods had the power to view repping, maybe only senior mods?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Creating Perfect Chaos
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    i fail to see how those 2 points contradict each other. also you say that as if its a statement of a fact. it is not, that is an opinion. Red rep has much value as can be seen from my original post.
    Well you said "red rep is an extremely useful tool [...] they would now have to consider how the community reacts to their posts" then you said "it shouldnt make that much of a difference, red repping is half what a user can give out of green rep." Both a little out of context, but hopefully you see my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    for ppl that display such immaturity(id be surprised to see it among the current active membership) they need to have the power removed from them. or receive other heavy punishments for such actions.
    I wouldn't be surprised, though I agree it would be far less likely. But again, how do you 'prove' the rep ring exists? SSs? Again... false information was and is a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    so you think a bunch of ppl ganging up on 1 poster for the viewing pleasure of the whole community is better? im not understanding your logic here. think about it. its less work for the mods having to delete the posts and less work for members whove to sort through the crapola to get to the heart of the topic of the thread.
    Quite frankly, yes. Why should the user they're ganging up on have to solely deal with the bullying of their comments? In public, everyone can see the immaturity of the users who feel the need to belittle others. And from my view, it would be WAY easier to delete posts rather than have to sort through a tirade of PMs, SSs, false information, accusations, people getting upset cuz they care too much about rep, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    i couldve sworn mods had the power to view repping, maybe only senior mods?
    I'll ask AA and Alu and see if they can confirm this.

    Though I will say, a few of the problems i've addressed (mostly about lack of proof) could be fixed if the admins implemented a report feature for rep comments. I don't know if that's in the cards though.


    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    "
    - Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Creating Perfect Chaos
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric0095 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    i couldve sworn mods had the power to view repping, maybe only senior mods?
    I'll ask AA and Alu and see if they can confirm this.
    Alright, well i've asked, and yes they can see them. Even with that, it puts a lot of modding pressure on just two people.


    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    "
    - Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    UL Baby
    Posts
    2,937

    Default

    How about we just get rid of rep all together?



    By the amazing Luda

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •