Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring Back Red Rep!

Default Bring Back Red Rep!

the rep system on these forums is clearly broken. theres ppl going around with hyper inflated rep, some of which is deserved, some of which is not, and no im not referring to thalin.

its a bit pointless to have a rep system when all you can tell ppl is how awesome their posts are. there are many other more active vbulletin forums that run a red and green repping systems successfully so i dont understand why this one doesnt do it anymore.

red rep is an extremely useful tool, instead of some posters straddling the line to ensure they dont get an infraction, they would now have to consider how the community reacts to their posts. also its far better than what we have now. where if one user disagrees with anothers post. he/she is more likely to flame the other with a picture or some other manner to show how much of a fool that person is. now ask yourselves which is better, the public flaming or a private comment to that person which they might learn from?

also if theres one or 2 ppl using it because theyve some personal issues with you, it shouldnt make that much of a difference, red repping is half what a user can give out of green rep. if youre receiving several red reps well then perhaps the problem is not with them but with you and you might learn a little something. if theres ppl continously abusing the power, give the mods the abilitly to take it away.

bearing all this in mind i really dont get why it has been taken away.

In a big TreeHouse where i shoot zombies!

i am going to have agree with you there red rep would help this forum keep it in line and not poopy people off.
    Last edited by Alusair; 11-02-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    !xF3AR3VILx!
    20th November- "You are here to feed my army."

Quote Originally Posted by xF3AR3VILx View Post
    i am going to have agree with you there red rep would help this forum keep it in line and not pi$$ people off.
    to an extent lol, particularly with the recent mod shortage.

The reason why red rep was removed from the vast majority of forum goers was because of the amount of tension it caused.

Mods were receiving PM's daily complaining about so and so red repping the complainant and how it was unfair, blah, blah, blah..... And if that wasn't enough nearly every week there was a new thread discussing the unfairness of red rep and how it was being abused.

In short, people took it very personally. Rep whatever forum your're on really doesn't mean that much. Sure, it looks good when you first glance at it but after a while you realise it's been accumulated by that person being a regular poster. Some posters only post once in a while and though they may not have so much rep, they can construct an equally good post.

Regarding my rep, if I was screenshot my rep box at the last count I reckoned it'll take about 18 screenies that would need gluing together. I haven't looked at it recently and quite frankly I really can't be bothered. I know acer did one a while back which was akin to war and peace. He may have a lot but he did earn his rep.

If by saying that some people have more than they should, well you'll find that's normally down 'rep rings'. The main aim of these is to keep repping each other to increase each others rep and see how much you can grow it to.

Really the rep system should be done away with altogether and try something like badges for certain achievements on the forum. In my humble opinion they would mean a helluva a lot more than a number.

Thanks to Infinitus for the epic B'day pressie!

What Morgan said.

---

Even if red rep is brought back, it won't do anything to the people that rep boost anyway. Most people have rep that is earned, at least I see most of the people that have full rep bars making useful and helping posts often. Like Morgan.

Personally, I'll rep you if you say it how it is and help someone. I don't care too much about my rep, posting is for talking about things in and out of the game, and shouldn't be a competition to who gets the most rep. I'm a member on another vbullitin forum and we don't use rep at all.
    Sig by Jade

S131, 148, 156, 165 (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan le Fay View Post
    The reason why red rep was removed from the vast majority of forum goers was because of the amount of tension it caused.

Mods were receiving PM's daily complaining about so and so red repping the complainant and how it was unfair, blah, blah, blah..... And if that wasn't enough nearly every week there was a new thread discussing the unfairness of red rep and how it was being abused.

In short, people took it very personally. Rep whatever forum your're on really doesn't mean that much. Sure, it looks good when you first glance at it but after a while you realise it's been accumulated by that person being a regular poster. Some posters only post once in a while and though they may not have so much rep, they can construct an equally good post.

Regarding my rep, if I was screenshot my rep box at the last count I reckoned it'll take about 18 screenies that would need gluing together. I haven't looked at it recently and quite frankly I really can't be bothered. I know acer did one a while back which was akin to war and peace. He may have a lot but he did earn his rep.

If by saying that some people have more than they should, well you'll find that's normally down 'rep rings'. The main aim of these is to keep repping each other to increase each others rep and see how much you can grow it to.

Really the rep system should be done away with altogether and try something like badges for certain achievements on the forum. In my humble opinion they would mean a helluva a lot more than a number.
    from my conversations with some of the mods it was a small clique of memebers that abused this power and a small number of drama queens who complained about the ability. several forums run such a system successfully so i dont know why this should be any different. the dramas of a small few should not impact on the community as a whole and cause everyone else to suffer due to their actions/issues

ill point you to miraculixs post morgan, it outlines why it should be brought back and to me she makes perfect sense
    Last edited by tipperary1; 11-02-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cushseth View Post
    I don't care if your bad. But don't teach other people your badness.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiTard View Post
    This little pony just remortgaged for more war ports.

My point is red rep doesn't 'control' the forums it creates more issues. So why give more work to the already small mod team.

Thanks to Infinitus for the epic B'day pressie!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan le Fay View Post
    My point is red rep doesn't 'control' the forums it creates more issues. So why give more work to the already small mod team.
    morgan there arre gonna be whiners and abusers no matter what the system, the rep one is just one that holds great potential and with proper management would work well

I agree. I miss whiners red repping me.

Plus, my red rep is woth A LOT lol. Fun to knock someone back a bar when their being stupid.

P.S. Morgan rep repped me a year and a half ago. I still have not gotten over it.
    Last edited by cushseth; 11-02-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    SS37

Less QQ more PewPew

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy the 5 View Post
    cush has a point... and he is right
    Ya.

I agree. I miss whiners red repping me.

Plus, my red rep is woth A LOT lol. Fun to knock someone back a bar when their being stupid.
    lol ok maybe reset the irreputable rephoarders to 2k, or even just set red repping at a capped -10. wont affect ppl too much and thered be less whining.