Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring Back Red Rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan le Fay View Post
    [Sigh]. Let's give a lesson in internet 101, kiddies. However innocently meant something when posted on a message board, blog or whatever can be misinterpreted as an insult or troll. Now we all know there are real trolls out there that take delight in making another's life a misery to an extent that they actually 'get off' on it. No one here comes even close.

Now let's take you, Tipp and your perceived view of Tentpig. You dislike him because he expressed an opinion about you, one you didn't like. That doesn't make him a troll any more than anyone else. One of my favourite sayings which I find works well in every situation, especially regarding the internet is "opinions are like , everyone has one". Meaning everyone sees the universe their own unique way and rather instead of appreciating another person's view we argue that our and our's alone is the correct one. Even though you are by far not the only one guilty of that, you refuse to listen or believe what anyone else is patiently trying to tell you, adamantly arguing you are right. What you may think as hilariously funny can be very offensive to another and ends up with you being labelled as a troll. Now you know why certain forum rules are in place as a way to promote the enjoyment of all without prejudice.

To put this back on topic, let's take your favourite subject of Tentpig. At the first mention of The Cupcake Theory, I'll bet a pound to a dollar you and your click would have (if you had the ability) red repped the heck out of him. Let's say he red repped you back, who was more in the right? You for having your feelings hurt about him making a reasonable, albeit blunt point or TP at being mass targeted, returning it in kind. The short answer is neither, which is why in whatever context you use red rep isn't constructive. Eventually it'll have split out in public, resulting in a slanging match between the two sides. As for TP being suspended, unless you have inside knowledge or he told you himself, you are none the wiser at the reasons why he was infracted. Publicly stating that trolling was the reason he received a two week suspension, is in itself, a troll.
    tentpig has never expressed a view of any sorts regarding me, he wasnt who i was referring to. and if he had, unlike others im not so flippant with my use of the word troll so i wouldnt have labelled him so. So i believe that renders your entire 2nd paragraph invalid.

secondly his cupcake theory has been largely discredited by the majority of the community, with many pointing out how its nonsense. it derails nearly every thread its mentioned in and often causes flame wars. not to mention being offensive to the majority of evony players. so yes if i saw it i would red rep him. also clearly someone among the modding team agrees with me. what is it you said morgan?

I have yet to come across anyone who's received one and not actually deserved it.
    also i wasnt lieing morgan, i dont care about being red repped, if tent wanted to do so in return simply because i redded him, hes entitled to do so, it wouldnt create any more disagreement between me and him than already exists. so your entire third paragraph and its hypothetical situation, is invalid too.

in fact almost your entire post, as joey from friends would put it, is moo.

Quote Originally Posted by cushseth View Post
    I don't care if your bad. But don't teach other people your badness.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiTard View Post
    This little pony just remortgaged for more war ports.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofspark View Post
    You seem to be one of life's diplomats Morgan.

Should go for a Mod job.
    Thanks I try . I applied earlier on in the year but as I didn't get a reply I took it as Dawn didn't like me....

What I said in an earlier post about Tipp & .co being an asset was heartily meant. He just needs to consider the consequences of his actions before he posts and Tipp will do just fine.

Thanks to Infinitus for the epic B'day pressie!

Thanks I try . I applied earlier on in the year but as I didn't get a reply I took it as Dawn didn't like me....

What I said in an earlier post about Tipp & .co being an asset was heartily meant. He just needs to consider the consequences of his actions before he posts and Tipp will do just fine.
    dawn doesnt reply to anyone, we could almost take it that he dislikes the entire community

This forum is no different than forums the world over (regardless of the subject). I have personally developed a rule of thumb if I am still irked by something someone has said when I have stepped away from the keyboard then I need to bow out of the thread/conversation. This doesn't constitute 'losing' but rather maintaining peace of mind. I think very few people (whether the aggressor or defender) in a flame war actually enjoy themselves, they simply get caught up in a spiral of words which ends up with both parties not looking particularly good. I am currently looking after my father who has terminal cancer and only a few weeks left to live, its exhausting I can tell you, forums like this to me are just pure entertainment and a distraction. As soon as it gets nasty (or looks like its going that way) I lose all interest. Just as a footnote I know I come across as very pro Tip, I can't say I agree with everything he posts but he does genuinely make me laugh and laughter is a commodity I need in my life right now. The fact he is Irish is just a bonus.

*to do ...think of something funny and clever as a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by tipperary1 View Post
    tentpig has never expressed a view of any sorts regarding me, he wasnt who i was referring to. and if he had, unlike others im not so flippant with my use of the word troll so i wouldnt have labelled him so. So i believe that renders your entire 2nd paragraph invalid.
    [Sigh].... If you'll read it properly, you'll have understood I meant to explain why you may be considered a troll in the community. In fact, I was trying to help you. You are the one that keeps posting Tentpig is a troll, so I was just using it as an example. As I said, stop being such a hothead and realise you don't need to argue black is blue all the time.

secondly his cupcake theory has been largely discredited by the majority of the community, with many pointing out how its nonsense. it derails nearly every thread its mentioned in and often causes flame wars. not to mention being offensive to the majority of evony players. so yes if i saw it i would red rep him. also clearly someone among the modding team agrees with me. what is it you said morgan?
    I think The Cupcake Theory was too harsh a way to describe the current culture, but it has it's merits. I've noticed that players often want Evony to 'bend' the rules in a way that ensures a win for them. In short, people want to win without the effort. It's human nature not to always like the truth. Mass disagreement doesn't ensure a theory is disproved.

One mod may agree with you about TP's behaviour but unless you know for sure (like 100%) what Tentpig was infracted for, then all you have is speculation.
    also i wasnt lieing morgan, i dont care about being red repped, if tent wanted to do so in return simply because i redded him, hes entitled to do so, it wouldnt create any more disagreement between me and him than already exists. so your entire third paragraph and its hypothetical situation, is invalid too.
    I never said you did. Just that once you let the tiger out of the cage, you can't put it back again. You might not have gotten upset at being red repped but one of your friends could have. It really doesn't doesn't take much for a volatile situation to blow up to volcanic proportions. Yes it was hypothetical but I was putting another example on the table at why red rep should not be brought back.

Thanks to Infinitus for the epic B'day pressie!

[Sigh].... If you'll read it properly, you'll have understood I meant to explain why you may be considered a troll in the community. In fact, I was trying to help you. You are the one that keeps posting Tentpig is a troll, so I was just using it as an example. As I said, stop being such a hothead and realise you don't need to argue black is blue all the time.
    i never called tentpig a troll anywhere, i said he engaged in trolling but i never said he was a troll, not even once. and nobodies being a hothead, stop making up stuff and projecting emotions on to me that are not there. i find it ironic that you think i need help, when in the comforting thread you possessed tunnel vision regarding the issue, there was only your opinion and nobody elses had merit. hence the 50 page thread. its you who clearly cant handle ppl disagreeing with you and must argue pointlessly about everything.

I never said you did. Just that once you let the tiger out of the cage, you can't put it back again. You might not have gotten upset at being red repped but one of your friends could have. It really doesn't doesn't take much for a volatile situation to blow up to volcanic proportions. Yes it was hypothetical but I was putting another example on the table at why red rep should not be brought back.
    morgan that scenario was already pointed out, as were others showing the benfits of red rep. there are an infinite number of scenarios that could arise good and bad, who are we to try and predict them. i already see this, the only reason youre pointing it out is because your view is that red rep is bad, you dont want it back and weve to read these pointless posts until we all agree with you
    Last edited by tipperary1; 11-28-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miraculix View Post
    the rep system on these forums is clearly broken. theres ppl going around with hyper inflated rep, some of which is deserved, some of which is not, and no im not referring to thalin.
    Thalin's rep was moderated at like 2 mil and wasn't real until he changed it. Also, i know of no other people on forum who have hyper inflated rep and would report such people to mods such as acer immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by .H0bbit View Post
    i understand u trying to explain battle mechanics and so on, and like i said not saying u are wrong, i know people that send the same wave of certain numbers, not cause it works, and they know better waves to do it and better results, but they send it cause they like the look of the numbers.
    The death of Evony.

Tipperary Vs. Morgan Le Fay
    Will either side ever stop?

Is rep on the forums even a concern?

Its like someone having 6 million prestige 5 weeks into a server, and only one town. Its pretty apparent and really means nothing. Just someone to LOL at.

Argue for your limitations, and they will be yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BS. View Post
    Thalin's rep was moderated at like 2 mil and wasn't real until he changed it. Also, i know of no other people on forum who have hyper inflated rep and would report such people to mods such as acer immediately.
    stop bs-ing

Quote Originally Posted by ThingOne View Post
    Is rep on the forums even a concern?

Its like someone having 6 million prestige 5 weeks into a server, and only one town. Its pretty apparent and really means nothing. Just someone to LOL at.
    well its a way of telling someone you like their post without clogging up the forums with lols "i like this post" post.

evony should follow this forums example

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/faq.ph...q_new_faq_item

seems to work well, with only 1 point of rep being given out per 1k points, and 40 spreads required to rep the same person, itd be harder to hyper inflate rep, and those ppl who have engaged in rep inflation already wont doling out as much points
    Last edited by tipperary1; 12-04-2012 at 01:11 PM.