Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 127

Thread: Banned versus Suspended?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Banned versus Suspended?

    OK, we all see people around who are "suspended" or "banned". Suspended is pretty self-explanatory. They will be back (or will have the ability to be back) again at some point in the future. But, is banned the same way or is someone who has been "banned" gone forever and ever?

    And without identifying any specific person, what types of activities/posts would cause a person to be banned rather than suspended---assuming there is in fact a difference between the two.

    This is just something I have been curious about and have never seen discussed.
    Let the Good Times Roll!!!!

  2. #2

    Default

    i'd love to know the difference as well lol ... came across a few recently that i was curious about ... hope the mods or informed posters can weigh in
    Stal/Nerds
    Age1 - s152 - Rebellion/TAKEDOWN (retired)
    Age2 - CA4 - CandySto/187, 21, ReU/666/666_324 (Found Partner) (dormant)
    CoE - ClosedBeta1 - TAKEDOWN (left/got bored)
    Discipline Honor Determination

  3. #3

    Default

    i actually just asked this same question in AC earlier today.. also how many infractions warrant suspension and how many suspensions warrant banning?
    Quote Originally Posted by acer5200 View Post
    PS: Mech wasn't trolling.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The last Historic Poster hideout
    Posts
    6,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillivray View Post
    OK, we all see people around who are "suspended" or "banned". Suspended is pretty self-explanatory. They will be back (or will have the ability to be back) again at some point in the future. But, is banned the same way or is someone who has been "banned" gone forever and ever?

    And without identifying any specific person, what types of activities/posts would cause a person to be banned rather than suspended---assuming there is in fact a difference between the two.

    This is just something I have been curious about and have never seen discussed.
    A suspension rises in time, but if I recall it's 4 infraction points leads to a 24 hour suspension ? I am way too rusty on the topic so don't rely on that. This usually comes from 1 infraction rather then multiple, as some infractions have higher points then others. Two(?) of them have the full 4 points because they are so srs.

    I don't know the answer. I know some people who came back and no one cared. But usually banning is a last resort, and usually Dawnseeker has to do it. I personally think there should be an issue of appeal, but it is what it is.


    Most banned people usually do multiple stupid things rather then one, but of course, there are exceptions.


    Quote Originally Posted by MechHead View Post
    i actually just asked this same question in AC earlier today.. also how many infractions warrant suspension and how many suspensions warrant banning?

    You probably won't see someone reaching 100 points by normal infractions. They usually expire over by the time the suspension ends and stuff. While mods have the power to do it, they usually can't.


    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan le Fay View Post
    So if I'm reading that right, by continuously misbehaving you'll accumulate infraction points and once you've gotten to a 100, you forum account is in peril and looking like it'll be banned. Every time you get 4 points, you'll be suspended.

    As for the amount of infraction points a user gets for various 'naughtiness' I suppose is down to the individual mod and how much a repeat offender the guilty is. I could be wrong but that's how I'll interpret it.

    You probably understand now, but infractions expire (usually) and you usually get taken out before reaching 100 points. And yeah , the discretion of the mod is how harsh the infraction is.. or warnings. warnings are just that btw, they dont make any infraction points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Abdiel View Post
    discretion of Dawnseeker and/or Thalin.
    Usually. But they're different, Dawnseeker does banning stuff once we bug him enough as a group ( if ever) , thalin just does his own thing totally autonomous. I haven't talked to thalin at all, he's in his own little evil sub division.
    Last edited by Reasoner; 11-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    As far as I am aware, what constitutes banning vs. suspension is pretty much at the discretion of Dawnseeker and/or Thalin. Generally speaking though, it's repetition of suspensions and the offences which led to them that lead to one being banned.

  6. Default

    I always treat it as:

    Suspended: Account on hold pending investigation;

    Banned: A ban from the service for either a small period of time or permanent ban from actions committed. Banned usually means "Convicted".
    Quote Originally Posted by A Mod
    That counts as intentionally advertising.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil2k8 View Post
    I always treat it as:

    Suspended: Account on hold pending investigation;

    Banned: A ban from the service for either a small period of time or permanent ban from actions committed. Banned usually means "Convicted".
    Suspended means your ability to post has been suspended. Which jives with the definition: "Temporarily prevent from continuing"

    A ban means you're gone. Do not pass go, do not collect $1,000,000,000.

    Flaming CHICKEN!
    Courtesy: Sturm

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    A ban means you're gone. Do not pass go, do not collect $1,000,000,000.


    Always knew they get taken to some hidden Evo jail!
    ... can we get visitor's passes?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Waiting for cushseth to rep me.
    Posts
    1,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    A ban means you're gone. Do not pass go, do not collect $1,000,000,000.
    ppl have been unbanned, fear not theres hope albeit a small hope. theres something to be said for catching dawnseeker in a good mood


    Quote Originally Posted by cushseth View Post
    I don't care if your bad. But don't teach other people your badness.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiTard View Post
    This little pony just remortgaged for more war ports.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tipperary1 View Post
    ppl have been unbanned, fear not theres hope albeit a small hope. theres something to be said for catching dawnseeker in a good mood
    It's more than a good mood - unbanning people or allowing them to create a "new identity" is rare, but is usually dependent on the amount of time they have been gone, whether they contribute (or could potentially contribute) to the community in a positive way, how willing they are to move forward and no continue down the path of rule breaking, etc...

    Even then their accounts are watched carefully until they prove that they can be productive enough that moderators aren't constantly babysitting them on the forum to make sure they aren't breaking every single rule laid out - which does happen with many people.

    Compliments of the wonderful Warsimi!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •