Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Banned versus Suspended?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillivray View Post
    OK, we all see people around who are "suspended" or "banned". Suspended is pretty self-explanatory. They will be back (or will have the ability to be back) again at some point in the future. But, is banned the same way or is someone who has been "banned" gone forever and ever?

And without identifying any specific person, what types of activities/posts would cause a person to be banned rather than suspended---assuming there is in fact a difference between the two.

This is just something I have been curious about and have never seen discussed.
    A suspension rises in time, but if I recall it's 4 infraction points leads to a 24 hour suspension ? I am way too rusty on the topic so don't rely on that. This usually comes from 1 infraction rather then multiple, as some infractions have higher points then others. Two(?) of them have the full 4 points because they are so srs.

I don't know the answer. I know some people who came back and no one cared. But usually banning is a last resort, and usually Dawnseeker has to do it. I personally think there should be an issue of appeal, but it is what it is.

Most banned people usually do multiple stupid things rather then one, but of course, there are exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by MechHead View Post
    i actually just asked this same question in AC earlier today.. also how many infractions warrant suspension and how many suspensions warrant banning?

You probably won't see someone reaching 100 points by normal infractions. They usually expire over by the time the suspension ends and stuff. While mods have the power to do it, they usually can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan le Fay View Post
    So if I'm reading that right, by continuously misbehaving you'll accumulate infraction points and once you've gotten to a 100, you forum account is in peril and looking like it'll be banned. Every time you get 4 points, you'll be suspended.

As for the amount of infraction points a user gets for various 'naughtiness' I suppose is down to the individual mod and how much a repeat offender the guilty is. I could be wrong but that's how I'll interpret it.

You probably understand now, but infractions expire (usually) and you usually get taken out before reaching 100 points. And yeah , the discretion of the mod is how harsh the infraction is.. or warnings. warnings are just that btw, they dont make any infraction points.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdiel View Post
    discretion of Dawnseeker and/or Thalin.
    Usually. But they're different, Dawnseeker does banning stuff once we bug him enough as a group ( if ever) , thalin just does his own thing totally autonomous. I haven't talked to thalin at all, he's in his own little evil sub division.
    Last edited by Reasoner; 11-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acer5200 View Post
    Yea it would also be great if your friends actually stopped spamming and trolling when asked the first 100 times as well.

It's a two way street.
    Must have hit a nerve....

All of a suuden everyone who gets suspended are all my friends? I didn't know that, thanks for clarifying. I was talking about my experiences being sent to "time out", other people's issues aren't my concern.

I say the comforting change is a step in the right direction, I argue facts and real ongoing situations of the matter...
    You dream up ideas that don't exist and STILL blame botters and STILL feel it's fair to have something forever in a war game...

*Disclaimer: The following is not 100% applicable to Admins/SMods.

Anyways, if you go to your UserCP, there should be a latest infraction section above your latest rep (Unless you haven't received any). It provides a link to the infracted post, the date it was issued, its expiry, the points it was worth (Note: If it was a warning it will show 0 points), and the reason. An alternate/better way to see your infraction history is to go to your Profile --> Infraction Tab. Each infraction also comes with a PM that will outline the offence in more detail.

The 'Reason' an infraction is given determines the # of points it gives and the length of its expiry. For instance, posting Scamming/Hacks will give 4pts and will NEVER expire. Instigation is 4pts and expires in 2months. Most of the 1pt infractions expire in 10days, 2-3pt infractions are about a month. Warnings of any infraction will always give 0pts.

A suspension is temporary, whereas a ban is permanent. However, sometimes the system goofs and puts suspended users in the 'ban' category. This will show "Banned" under their name. But fear not, they will be good as new once the suspension expires.

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl
    is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    "
    - Albert Einstein

i consider myself something of an expert on this topic lol, however most has been said already.

Quote Originally Posted by xTONYx View Post
    Yeah it would be great if they followed that..........seems there is a certain mod on a powertrip (you know who you are) that just suspends without infracting or giving any corespondance with a reason.
    you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by acer5200 View Post
    Yea it would also be great if your friends actually stopped spamming and trolling when asked the first 100 times as well.

It's a two way street.
    I would like to to provide some clarification on this statement, ive spent the best part of 4 weeks out of the past 6/7 weeks with my account under suspension. My first suspension was given without any warning on the grounds of a meme with the word “mofo” in it(the full word not the abbreviation). On top of the suspension i was hit with a heavy 4 point infraction which wont expire until Christmas eve. On questioning the mod on the harshness of the punishment they declared id been toeing the line for the past week and it was deserved, that they had previously deleted many posts from me that week. I recall posting nothing that week i feel that warranted that punishment.

A few days later after returning from suspension, another infraction was landed on me by the same mod, this time on the grounds of a light-hearted moustache joke. This made 5 infraction points putting my account on probation, killing my pm buffer, removing the ability to have an avatar and a picture in my sig, and preventing me from creating more threads.

I know the rules of this forum well so breaking them directly isn’t really my style, there is nearly always a grey area even with my more risqué posts leaving action on them up to the discretion of the mods. I can recall exactly 3/4 times where ive knowingly broken the rules. Those times usually with funny memes with swear words that i know will get a laugh out of ppl. I am largely a harmless poster, posting constructively and helping ppl out on these forums as well as fooling around.

My second 10 day suspension was landed on me on the grounds of a meme making fun out of the original evony advertisement campaign. It was posted on a friends thread as a joke but was interpreted as an attempt to flame and troll. While fair enough perhaps it could be interpreted that way by a passing mod, the post never actually went through. It got caught in the filter and i choose not to bypass the filter, something which im well able to do. Inspite of this i was still hit with the suspension and another 3 point infraction.

And i just want to be clear, im not someone who has some sort issues with authority, as i said i know the rules and what i signed up for when i joined. I am quite happy with most the modding team. My issues are with 1 mod of past, and 1 mod of present. That is all. /endessay
    Last edited by tipperary1; 11-22-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cushseth View Post
    I don't care if your bad. But don't teach other people your badness.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiTard View Post
    This little pony just remortgaged for more war ports.

Tip, I for one am glad to see you back and can't help but feel humour often loses a lot in translation.

Don't stop being a funny guy and sailing close to the wind.

*to do ...think of something funny and clever as a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofspark View Post
    Don't stop being a funny guy and sailing close to the wind.
    lol ill try my very best , tis hard though, as you know our awesome irish senses of humour are not always appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by tipperary1 View Post
    i consider myself something of an expert on this topic lol, however most has been said already.

you are correct.

I would like to to provide some clarification on this statement, ive spent the best part of 4 weeks out of the past 6/7 weeks with my account under suspension. My first suspension was given without any warning on the grounds of a meme with the word “mofo” in it(the full word not the abbreviation). On top of the suspension i was hit with a heavy 4 point infraction which wont expire until Christmas eve. On questioning the mod on the harshness of the punishment they declared id been toeing the line for the past week and it was deserved, that they had previously deleted many posts from me that week. I recall posting nothing that week i feel that warranted that punishment.

A few days later after returning from suspension, another infraction was landed on me by the same mod, this time on the grounds of a light-hearted moustache joke. This made 5 infraction points putting my account on probation, killing my pm buffer, removing the ability to have an avatar and a picture in my sig, and preventing me from creating more threads.

I know the rules of this forum well so breaking them directly isn’t really my style, there is nearly always a grey area even with my more risqué posts leaving action on them up to the discretion of the mods. I can recall exactly 3/4 times where ive knowingly broken the rules. Those times usually with funny memes with swear words that i know will get a laugh out of ppl. I am largely a harmless poster, posting constructively and helping ppl out on these forums as well as fooling around.

My second 10 day suspension was landed on me on the grounds of a meme making fun out of the original evony advertisement campaign. It was posted on a friends thread as a joke but was interpreted as an attempt to flame and troll. While fair enough perhaps it could be interpreted that way by a passing mod, the post never actually went through. It got caught in the filter and i choose not to bypass the filter, something which im well able to do. Inspite of this i was still hit with the suspension and another 3 point infraction.

And i just want to be clear, im not someone who has some sort issues with authority, as i said i know the rules and what i signed up for when i joined. I am quite happy with most the modding team. My issues are with 1 mod of past, and 1 mod of present. That is all. /endessay
    Thats kind of odd. I toe the line 24/7 on here and I have never got an infraction. Did u pee in the mods corn flakes or something?

Fan of BOTS!!! ( Auto-Bots Of Course )

Quote Originally Posted by tipperary1 View Post
    long words

You're truly the victim of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Light Year View Post
    Thats kind of odd. I toe the line 24/7 on here and I have never got an infraction. Did u pee in the mods corn flakes or something?
    nah its just one mod on a power trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoner View Post
    You're truly the victim of everything.
    typed sarcasm at its finest ladies and gentlemen^

but no.
    Last edited by tipperary1; 11-22-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: simplifying

I'm too cool for suspensions.
    SS37

Less QQ more PewPew

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy the 5 View Post
    cush has a point... and he is right
    Ya.