Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thread starters

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Leap View Post
    Your suggestion has merit and might even work ... provided there are mods present to approve or deny said applications. They're very scarce these days.
    And I'd reiterate what's already been said by others before me: putting this responsibility in the hands of mods in charge of a particular section leaves the door open for bias because decisions will be subjective most of the time.
    Objectivity usually goes out the window when you're faced with choosing between what's good for the community (like bacon!) and what's technically against the rules (like bacon!).
    We're here, we just hide in the shadows a lot...

But I agree this option could end up being a major undertaking as there would have to be constant moderators online to oversee this kind of process. (You would remember).

I think the spam is nowhere near what it used to be - even with multiple "It's broken!!" threads. We try to merge those together when things go kaboom, though as you all know I'm not perfect

Quote Originally Posted by david_k700 View Post
    I'd have to agree, for this to become operational alot more mod's would be needed. But i also agree with what Quantum says about biasy becoming a problem with this, as not everyone likes each other so if i were a mod and saw someone i wasn't fond of trying to create a thread... well it might just get lost in the void of space. I suspect this is why i am not a mod as well.

Though in comparison threads are on a bit of a shortage these days, usually theres a sudden burst of threads being made when evony has implemented a new "idea" but other than that its alot quieter these days.

Also the forums are pretty darn strict nowadays too
    I agree about the quiet part, but more strict? Wow, I've been slacking then! I've felt much less strict these days...

I think a lot of the moderators not making as much of a presence is partially our fault, partially to do with the lessening of traffic and community feel overall lately. As for moderated threads, as a mod you come to do them pretty much as soon as you login in the morning. :P It becomes second nature to just click yes or not on "appropriate/not", even with those that irritate ya.

Compliments of the wonderful Warsimi!

Quote Originally Posted by david_k700 View Post
    Also the forums are pretty darn strict nowadays too

Overall not a bad idea
    Actually the forums are really quite lax these days. The olny reasons it SEEMS strict, is because there is a lot less mega active threads going on at one time, Hell for a week there i was the last post in every section of the age 1 forums. (half my section) the age 2 section has been slightly more active then that tho.

We are down to about 4-5 threads that people actually post in anymore. The reason the mods seem so strict is because every person that has been banned/suspended of late knows damn well where the line is, but still insists on pushing it. with the lack of major threads no one "slips" past anymore. cause in a thread thats had 3 people post in the last 4 days, its pretty damn easy to catch people deliberately causing trouble. whereas before you would have 100+ posts a day in particular threads, it was quite easy to miss a troll/trouble causing post. so those posting exactly the same as they always have done are getting caught more, due to the lack of activity as a whole.

i am a firm believer that the forum requires ALL types to work correctly. you need the: harmless idk what im doing posters, The Trolls, The 5-10k post guys from the RP section you didn't even knew existed, the helpful posters, The not so helpful posters, The im trying to be helpful but have no idea what im talking about posters, even the mods. every person on the forum is what makes it fun, or makes it feel like a prison camp.

Quote Originally Posted by AbstractAngel View Post
    I think a lot of the moderators not making as much of a presence is partially our fault, partially to do with the lessening of traffic and community feel overall lately. As for moderated threads, as a mod you come to do them pretty much as soon as you login in the morning. :P It becomes second nature to just click yes or not on "appropriate/not", even with those that irritate ya.
    ive seen the forum have few posters like this before, admitedly not over the whole forum, normaly just my home in the age 1 section, but it ebs and flows. all it takes are a few of the right posters at the right time and BOOM you get an explosion of activity.

For instance, the ss38 war updates thread, For a long time there while eric was managing it, it fell pretty much silent. He couldnt put the time into it that it required, especially since he no longer played ss38. so he handed the reigns over to me, and as such, the drizzle of posters who checked in to show off reports, realized that there posts wernt being ignored, so started posting more. then at the same time, some of my reds from the server started posting too. which ended up in a major argument of bias, Egos and people getting stuck in the spam filter. some of those people for whatever reason no longer post, and i miss it. because even tho they are red to me, its all the better to see someone posting a monster hit on someone when you also get the OTHER side to the story. not to mention the banter between alliances.

there arnt a real lot of mods these days, but in all honesty, if you took mods from the remaining active posters on the forums, there would be no one left to moderate.

As for your idea, It entails a LOT of work for mods, But could be helpful to the community, but could also be a hindrance, IE when server is down for 24 hrs for no explained reason, everyone from said server rushes to the forums and asks why?!?! mods who now barely see a thread a week, would see 30 threads started before they can approve the first, because no one can see a thread started for that reason. not to mention the posters who try to start a thread, it goes away to approved/otherwise by mods, poster goes WTF creates another thread to see why his thread didn't start, Rinse and repeat and you got 200 threads by the same unknowing poster who just really wants to know what a good farming attack is.

TL;DR - mods haven't changed to being supernazi's, the forums have have just gotten quiet, and this idea could be as bad as it is a good idea, all depends on the time.

Sig Courtesy Of Sickness!
    Bomben - Great Phract Smack - My History
    Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    ssssssssffffdrdrawers. You can't tell me to stop being who I am.

We're here, we just hide in the shadows a lot...
    I rarely see you guys though. It's like an endless game of hide-and-seek with no hope for the 'IT' ever finding someone ... and I'm 'IT'.

(You would remember).
    I remember having my memory wiped the day I exited the mod quarters. Does that count?

so exactly how does anyone post a new thread?? WHO DO we send the thread too? how do i make one? this forum is seriously kacked up

I have to post 15 more times before i can post a threat this is number 1

I have to post 15 more times before i can post a threat this is number 2

I have to post 15 more times before i can post a threat this is number 3