Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilgad's Combat Mechanics Guide v2

Default Gilgad's Combat Mechanics Guide v2

Hello all, Due to my email being hacked I decided to keep all my work on the evony forums.

Majority of this post will be from my previous guide however I will be going into even more depth near the end and covering other topics.

If there is anything you request me to add, I will try to do so as I have reserved two spaces for additional information.

Feel free to leave any feedback you desire, any constructive criticism is wonderful, please suggest how to make the guide better if you can, even if it's visually.

Feel free to add me on skype to chat: xogilly

I will be editing more and more over the next week or two.

I am also aware that there is some false information in the close combat area bout melee units targeting highest ranged stack first, I believe the reports I have shown had something to do with the bonus vs archers damage cavalry have. I am still looking into it.

Enjoy mates.
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
    In game name: Gilgad

Gilgad’s Combat Mechanics Guide!

Hello everyone, this guide covers many areas of the game known as “Evony”. Evony is a very slow paced game that requires players to be online almost 24/7 (24 hours, seven days a week). It is however an extremely fun game once you grasp the basics of it, and when you have started to get into wars with other alliances and know how to beat them, that’s when this game really shines.

Attacking a Player

Knowing how to attack a player is very useful, it is also a long journey to conquer to fully understand the combat mechanics of the game. Learning the basics of Evony combat requires a basic knowledge of maths. Knowing how to add, subtract, divide and multiply are the main things that you need to successfully learn the battle mechanics of the game. You will also need to have somewhat good memory skills, I’m telling you from personal experience, trying to attack somebody and having to look at notes while doing it is hard, it is best to memorise everything.

The Inside of a single battle Report

One single battle report consists of the following things:
    1 Battle Report → 100 Rounds → 3 Phases/Round

That’s what consists of a single battle report. The following will show what section we are doing at a time, they are hyperlinked so you may click any of the headings and you will be skipped to it.

The Idea of this guide is to make you able to look at ANY battle report and figure out by yourself what happens. Being able to do that will realise what mistakes the person made and how YOU can develop your skills in correcting other people’s mistakes.

Once you know how to read and analyse a battle report, you will be able to create your own scenarios and figure out what is going to happen if you send blah blah. So in a way, the key to being a successful attacker is knowing what is going to happen if you send something at someone.

Once you know what’s going to happen each time you send something (after a while it will just become instant memory, if someone in the alliance shows you a report and you see that there’s no pults and loads of archers, a memory will spark and tell you, oh, he’s prone to archer sniping, but we’ll get to that later). For now, please read the following bits in the guide, at the end, you should be able to analyse a battle report that I show you and figure out what happened in it.

Once you know how to attack, you will also immediately know how to defend, it’s just everything you're about to learn in reverse.

Contents:

Battlefield Range and their setters
    Long Range
    Short Range Branches
    Narrow Range
    Close Range
    Wide Range
    Battlefield Tree “Yard Tree”

Movement

Combat Phase
    Close Combat
    Order Of Operations

Ranged Combat
    Missile Units in Short Defence

Removing The Dead

Recap
    Movement
    Close Combat
    Ranged Combat

Split damage

Characteristics Tables (Attacker)

Characteristics Tables (Defender)

Attack Names/Strategies

Helpful Tips

Test Yourself!!

Section 1 - Ranges

Formula

The Formula to determine which defence the battle will be fast is as follows:

Range = Highest Base Range of all Missile units in battle + 200, OR Highest Base Ranged Wall Defence + 200. HOWEVER, there are priorities.

The first thing that you need to know before attacking an enemy is what distance the battle will be. You have two options that are then furthermore subdivided into other branches of options.

1) Close defence
    2) Long ranged defence

Here is a table to show the “Battlefield Tree” or “Yard Tree” As we know it most people know these as family trees.

NOTE: Rolling Logs is NOT a Range setter. If you see Rolling logs in a defence, IGNORE THEM.

Name Range - Yards Range Setter Branches Range - Yards Range Setter
    Long Range 5200 Trp,Ab,DT N/A N/A N/A
    Short Range (Compact Defence) 1500 Archer Tower Narrow Range 1400 Archer
    Close Range 1600 Ballista
    Wide Range 1700 Catapult

In the table above I have shown you the 5 different battle positions there are in the game (Long Range, Narrow Range, Close Range and Wide Range, on a side note there IS short ranged known as a Compact Defence which is VERY RARE to find, however people just put all the short defences named as a CD {Compact Defence}). The two main defences there are is long ranged and Short Range (5200 and 1500 yards) which then can be further sub divided, however, long range cannot be further subdivided.

This is how you tell the difference between the two:

Long Range

Three things that can alter between a 5200 Yard set up (Long Range) and 1500 Yard setup (Short Range) is what you have in your Walls (Please take note that when I say Short Range as a general thing, I don’t actually mean 1500 defence, I mean all the short range defences). 1 Trap can make it a 5200 Yard battle, 1 Abatis can make it a 5200 Yard battle and 1 Defensive Trebuchet can make it a 5200 Yard battle.

Any ONE of those Components can alter the battle from a Short Ranged Defence to a Long Ranged Defence.

Short Range - Branches

The subdivided branches of the Short Range category (Narrow Range, Close Range and Wide Range) all come under the “Short Range” Category. The Ranges for the three defences in short range is 1400 Yards, 1600 Yards and 1700 Yards. The Average is 1500 yards and therefore I put it under the Short Range Category, which I then placed 1500 yards as an average.

The thing that can alter between a 1500 Yard set up (Short Range) and a 5200 Yards set up (Long Range) is again what is inside your walls. A Short Range set up has NO Traps, NO Abatis and NO Defensive Trebuchets.

Remember, having just ONE of either three of those factors (Traps, Abatis and Defensive Trebuchets) WILL make it a Long Ranged Defence. So now that we have established that a Short Range defence consists of no traps, abatis or Dt’s (short for defensive trebuchets) now we can look at the sub branches of a short defence.

Narrow Range

The Narrow range (1400 Yards) Consists of the requirements for a short ranged defence (No Traps, Abatis or Dt’s) As well as having no Ballista’s or Catapults. The Narrow Range Defence MUST have at least ONE Archer.

Here is a report to prove my theory:

Cavalry’s fully upgraded speed is 1500 yards (1000 Speed Units + 50% (lvl 10 HBR) being 500) Cavalry also having an attack range of 100 making its full movement including attack range being 1600 yards.

IF this battle field was more then 1600 yards the cavalry would have killed nothing.

Close Range

The Close Range (1600 Yards) Consists of the requirements for a short ranged defence (No Traps, Abatis or Dt’s) As well as having NO Catapults. The Close Ranged defence MUST have at least ONE Ballista.

A Report:

At this point you may be thinking well this still doesn’t prove your theory about being base range + 200 yards, however the next report will.

Wide Range

The Wide Range (1700 Yards) Consists of the requirements for a short ranged defence (No Traps, Abatis or Dt’s) The Wide Ranged defence MUST have at least ONE Catapult.

A Report:

This Report shows NO losses to the archers just by adding 1 catapult. This clearly means that the range of the battlefield is more then 1600 yards, because that’s how far cavalry can strike. However now to actually prove my theory, here is the final report.

Archers base range is 1200 yards, + 50% of it due to level 10 archery is 1800 yards. As you can clearly see, the archers managed to shoot the enemy archers within one round, therefore the battlefield must be 1800 yards or less. However it must be MORE then 1600 yards, therefore the theory about the base range of the highest missile unit + 200 or highest wall ranged unit + 200 is correct

Compact Defence – Short Ranged (1500 Yards)

The Compact Defence is an extremely rare defence that is very uncommon. The Compact Defence (1500 Yards) Consists of the requirements for a short ranged defence (No Traps, Abatis or Dt’s) As well as having NO Archers, NO Ballista’s and NO Catapults. The Compact Defence MUST have at least ONE Archer Tower.
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-15-2013 at 01:08 AM.

No Report Is needed for this.

Formula

The Formulas to determine which defence the battle will be fast is as follows:

Range = Highest Base Range of all Missile units in battle + 200, OR Highest Base Ranged Wall Defence + 200. HOWEVER, there are priorities.

Here is a table to show you exactly what I mean.

Name Range Setter Base Range of Range Setter Range of Battle
    Long Range Traps Abatis DT 5000 5200
    Narrow Range Archer 1200 1400
    Compact Defence Archer Tower 1300 1500
    Close Range Ballista 1400 1600
    Wide Range Catapult 1500 1700

So here in the Long Range Section – Range setter, Trap, Abatis Dt means that the walls are the range setters making it a long ranged battle, the base range of a trap is 5000, the base range of an abatis Is 5000 and the base range of a defensive trebuchet is 5000. Add 200 to that makes the battle 5200 yards making it a long ranged battle.

Narrow Range Section – Range Setter, Archer (There is no Catapults or Ballista’s in the defence, nor is there Traps, Abatis or Defensive Trebuchets) Means that the Highest Base Missile unit in the defence is the Range setter meaning that the archers are the range setters due to there being NO Ballista’s or Catapults. This makes it a Narrow Range Battle, the Base Range of an Archer is 1200. Add 200 to that makes the battle 1400 Yards.

Compact Defence Section – Range setter, Archer Towers (There are No Archers, Ballista’s, Catapults, Traps, Abatis or Defensive Trebuchets) this makes it a Compact Defence, and the Base range of an Archer Tower is 1300. Add 200 to that makes 1500 Yards.

Close Range Section – Range Setter, Ballista (There are No Catapults, Traps, Abatis or Defensive Trebuchets) This makes it a Close Range Battle, the base range of a ballista is 1400. Add 200 to that makes 1600 Yards.

Wide Range Section – Range Setter, Catapult (There are No Traps, Abatis or Defensive Trebuchets) This makes it a Wide Range Battle, the base range of a catapult is 1500. Add 200 to that makes 1700 Yards.

I Hope I have explained the First Section about how to determine the Range of Battles Easily enough. Now we will be moving onto how things move inside a battle. Here is a quick diagram to refer to if you ever need to refer to one.

Movement
    Here is a table of troop characteristics, I’ll have a modified one and an unmodified one (By technology). The Unmodified table means that nothing is modified by technology and the modified one means that everything is modified or has been affected by level 10 technologies.

Unmodified Troop Characteristics - Gilgad
    Attack Defence Range Speed Load Life Food Population
    Worker 5 10 10 180 200 100 1 1
    Warrior 50 50 20 200 20 200 1 1
    Scout 20 20 20 3000 5 100 2 1
    Pikeman 150 150 50 300 40 300 3 1
    Swordsman 100 250 30 275 30 350 3 1
    Archer 120 50 1200 250 25 250 4 2
    Cavalry 250 180 100 1000 100 500 9 3
    Cataphract 350 350 80 750 80 1000 17 6
    Transporter 10 60 10 150 5000 700 5 4
    Ballista 450 160 1400 100 35 320 25 5
    Battering Ram 250 160 600 120 45 5000 50 10
    Catapult 600 200 1500 80 75 480 125 8

Modified Troop Characteristics - Gilgad
    Worker 7.5 15 15 360 400 150 1 1
    Warrior 75 75 30 400 40 300 1 1
    Scout 30 30 30 6000 10 150 2 1
    Pikeman 225 225 75 600 80 450 3 1
    Swordsman 150 375 45 550 60 525 3 1
    Archer 180 75 1800 500 50 375 4 2
    Cavalry 375 270 150 1500 200 750 9 3
    Cataphract 525 525 120 1125 160 1500 17 6
    Transporter 15 90 15 225 10000 1050 5 4
    Ballista 675 240 2100 150 70 480 25 5
    Battering Ram 375 240 600 180 90 7500 50 10
    Catapult 900 300 2250 120 150 720 125 8

The Movement Phase is the first of three phases in each round of a battle. Evony battles are made up of YARDS, yards are the distance between one unit and another and how large the battlefield is.

So how does the movement phase work? Well the fastest unit in the ENTIRE battle goes first, if there is a tie between two with the same speed, the defending unit moves first. EG: There is 1 Cavalry attacking and there is 1 Cavalry defending, they both have the same speed so, which goes first? The defending Cavalry, why? Because that’s how the game is made.

So hopefully you all understand the battlefield ranges, so lets use a 5200 battlefield range for this example, this is going to help you understand how movement works.

Attackers move UP the battlefield, or from Left to Right (l →), Defenders move DOWN the battlefield, or from Right to Left (← l), so this is basically what it looks like. (A ---------> <---------- D) So as you can see attackers (A) move right and defenders (D) move left so both armies get closer to each other and collide in the middle.

Now, where the attacking army starts is at POINT 0 OF 5200, so if attackers move up the battlefield, that point 0 will be getting larger. The more they move up the field, the larger the point gets.

Where the Defending army starts is at POINT 5200 OF 5200, so if defenders move DOWN the battlefield, as they progress throughout the battle, the point 5200 will be getting smaller. The more the move down the field, the smaller the point gets.

So lets use Cavalry for an example, lets assume all technologies are at 10. So by checking the Modified Characteristics table, the speed of cavalry is 1500, this means that they move 1500 YARDS per movement phase. Lets say there is 1 Cavalry Attacking and 1 Cavalry Defending, lets see what happens in the movement phase.

ROUND 1
    The Defending Cavalry move first because it is a tie between the attacking cavalry and the defending cavalry, the Defending Cavalry now move down 1500 Yards from point 5200 to point 3700 (5200-1500). Here is somewhat of a Picture:

AC = Attacking Cavalry
    DC = Defending Cavalry
    l = The l is just a stroke to signal a place in the battlefield.

So the defending cavalry have moved down from point 5200 to point 3700, now it is the attacking cavalry’s turn to move.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-15-2013 at 01:10 AM.

The Attacking Cavalry have just moved up from point 0 to point 1500, now it would be the combat phase, then the removing dead phase, but we’ll get to that later, so lets skip all that.

Round 2

The Defending cavalry again move first, we know why now hopefully.

SO, the defending cavalry now moved from point 3700 to point 2200 (1500 yards), again it’s the attacking cavalry’s turn.

Now, the attacking cavalry have only moved 700 yards out of its full 1500 yards, this is because the defending cavalry were already at point 2200 which Is 700 yards away from point 1500. Now, the defending cavalry aren’t just going to let the attacking cavalry just pass him at point 2200 and allow the attacking cavalry to progress to point 3000, no, he/she is going to stop that 1 attacking cavalry and battle it. So the attacking cavalry moves up from 1500 yards to 2200 yards and battles the defending cavalry. Why do they do this? Because that’s the point of a battle! To fight each other.

Now I’m NOT going to get a battle report to prove this theory because I know it’s true and so do many others, and really, I cant be annoyed to get something to prove something that is correct.

So now lets change things up a little bit, lets add 1 pikeman and 1 swordsman to both sides of the battle. So the defenders have 1 cavalry 1 pikeman and 1 swordsman, the attackers also have 1 cavalry 1 pikeman and 1 swordsman.

AC = Attacking Cavalry
    DC = Defending Cavalry
    AP = Attacking Pikeman
    DP = Defending Pikeman
    AS = Attacking Swordsman
    DS = Defending Swordsman
    l = Something that signals a point in the battlefield

Round 1

So now that there is more then 1 unit how do we determine what moves first, well it still works the same, the fastest unit then if there is a tie, the defender moves first. So in the next picture, the defending cavalry and the attacking cavalry will move up (keeping in mind that the defending cavalry initially moved first).

Now that the cavalry have moved up, the next fastest unit moves up, the pikeman, looking at the modified table they have a movement of 600, the defending pikeman still move first obviously as it is a tie.

The Pikeman have moved up, the next fastest unit moves up, the swordsman (being the last unit as well), they have a speed of 550, the defending swordsman move first still as it is obviously a tie. I know the pictures aren’t in perfect proportions and I apologize, I’m not perfect.
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-14-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Messed up, need to re edit.

Round 2

The next picture will be everything moving in 1 movement phase without having to show each unit moving separately, lets see whether you can figure out what happened by yourself.

Well here’s the answer if you couldn’t figure it out yourself, the DC moved to 2200 (3700-1500), the AC then moved to point 2200 (1500+1500 but get stopped at 2200, we know why already), the DP move to 4000 (4600-600), the AP then move to 1200 (600+600), the DS then move to 4100 (4650-550), the AS then move to 1100 (550 + 550). That is what happened, if you are confused, then I implore you to re-read the above.

Now there are two units in the army that move differently to all of the other units/troops. They are: Scouts and Transporters. Scouts and transporters do not move at all until all of the other troops in the army that they are in are dead. For example:

Attacking: 100 pikeman 100 swordsman 100 archers 10000 scouts
    Defending: 200000 Archers
    Narrow Range

In round 1 the attacking pikeman and swordsman would move up, the attacking SCOUTS would sit back at point 0 and stay where they are (this is the same for transports) the attacking archers sit and fire (getting to that later). The defending archers fire (getting to that later). Round 2-3-4 (Skipped 2 rounds) The attacking pikeman, archers and swordsman are dead, the only unit remaining are the scouts at point 0. Now that all of the units in the attacking army are dead, the scouts begin to advance.

This rule applies to transporters AND scouts in both attack AND defence. So defending scouts and transports will not move until all the defending units but them are dead and the same goes for attacking.

There is only one other thing that affects movement and it is apart of range. If an archer/ballista/catapult is in firing range of a unit, it will not move at all that turn, however, if it is not, it will still move its normal pace.

Now we will move onto the second phase of what happens in a single round of battle in evony. Combat phase, the combat phase consists of a couple things.

1) Close combat
    2) Range check
    3) Shooting

Combat Phase

Close Combat

So now we should be able to determine what type of size of battlefield it is, and also how things move. Now we can start to work on the nitty gritty bits, COMBAT!!

The first thing in the combat phase is close combat.

The first thing that would come to my mind as a new player would be, how far can a unit attack? Well that’s a good question, many people get mixed up with the fact that its whether the two units that are battling are actually touching each other and whether you add the units range to it. For example:

Close Range (1600 yards)

Defending: 1 ballista

Attacking: 1 cavalry

Cav moves up to 1500 (full movement speed) and cant attack ballista at 1600 because its 100 yards away. WRONG. When a melee unit (Workers, Warriors, Pikeman, Swordsman, Cavalry, Cataphracts, Transporters, Battering Rams, Scouts) are determining whether they can attack a unit, they add their range to the mix. Now with MELEE units, Archery doesn’t affect them, so lvl 10 archery will not give cavalry another 100 range making it 200 range making them have a 1700 attack range.

Proof of both of these statements are on the battle field range setters page, screen shot 1 shows cav hitting archers when a ballista is present (1600), screen shot 2 shows cav hitting nothing when the Catapult is present (1700), Thus proving that adding a melee’s unit range to its total attack is correct.

Now then, lets say that you charge 10k cav head strong into 100k pikes, 300k wars, 100k swords and 100k archers. The cav will move first being the fastest unit in the entire battle and travel across to point 1400 (archer being the only range setter making it a Narrow Range defence (1400 yards). Now that the cav is in contact, nothing else will move.

So now is the combat phase, and close combat comes first in the combat phase (phase 2 of 3 phases). This is what happens:

Order of Operations:
    The order of operations to any close combat situation goes as follows:
    1) Targets highest Ranged Stack, which means the highest total RANGED attack power.
    EG:

With the image above, I sent 10k Cavalry at a 1400 narrow ranged defence with archers being the range setter. On the defending side there was 300k Warriors, 100k pikeman 100k swordsman and 100k Archers. Now lets do the math and work out the combined attack of each unit.

Warriors: 300,000 x 75 = 22,500,000
    Pikeman: 100,000 x 225 = 22,500,000 ←(NOT COINCIDENCE I SWEAR)
    Swordsman: 100,000 x 150 = 15,000,000
    Archers: 100,000 x 180 = 18,000,000

If what many people’s theories are true (Other peoples theory: If there are multiple units in close combat, the unit with the highest total attack gets targeted) Then why did the cavalry hit the archers, archers being smaller then the highest attack at 22,500,000 for the warriors and Pikemen. Wouldn’t they have hit the warriors or Pikemen? No, in close combat the 1st order of operation in the close combat is targeting the highest total ranged unit attack, or missile unit attack (Archer, Ballista, Catapult).

Here is another report:

As you can see, again the cavalry hit the archers, again lets do the math:

Warriors: 150,000 x 75 = 11,250,000
    Pikeman: 50,000 x 225 = 11,250,000
    Swordsman: 50,000 x 150 = 7,500,000
    Archers: 50,000 x 180 = 9,000,000

Again the cavalry didn’t hit any melee units, they hit the archers being the highest total ranged attack unit. Now back to the order of operations (This was all the 1st order of operation.)

2) Targets highest melee stack.

Melee stack means combined attack of a single unit, for instance if you had 1k cav locked with 1k pike and 1k war, the unit out of the pike and war with the highest total added together attack would be targeted by the cav.

Screen shot:

As you can see here, we have 2001 warriors and 1000 swordsmen, lets calculate their attack powers.

2001 Warriors x 75 attack = 150,075 Attack.
    1000 Swordsmen x 150 Attack = 150,000 Attack

So the warriors have barely more attack, but here's a screen shot where we take away 2 warriors making it 1 less. (2000 warriors would be 150000 attack, 1999 would be 149925).
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-14-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Messed up, need to re edit again

As you can see here, due to difficulties, I halved both the warriors and the swordsmen, so lets do the calculations with 999 warriors (being 1 warrior under the same attack as the swordsmen)

999 x 75 = 74,925 attack power from the warriors
    500 x 150 = 75,000 attack power from the swordsmen

Clearly the swordsmen were targeted because they had the highest melee attack stack.

But what happens if all the units that are locked together somehow have the exact same attack stack? Well there is no way to actually test this, however I am going to assume that it would be the unit with the highest speed gets targeted.

And that’s all there is to know about what will attack what in close combat land.

PLEASE NOTE: Just because you may kill the enemy does not mean they get to attack back, this is still in the same round, the enemy has just as much right as you do for attacking them.

PLEASE NOTE #2: If for example, 1000 cavalry and 1000 pikemen were locked in combat against 1000 cataphracts and 1000 swordsmen, the fastest unit strikes first, so the 1000 cavalry will target the 1000 cataphracts (highest melee stack) and the 1000 cataphracts will target the 1000 cavalry. If the cataphracts die, then the 1000 pikemen attack the swordsmen, if they do not, then the 1000 pikemen attack the cataphracts. And Vice Versa.

Ranged Combat

Doing ranged battles in evony have a few rules.

There are only 3 ranged units in the game (Missile units), Archers, Ballistae and Catapults. BATTERING RAMS DO NOT SHOOT OR THROW OR LAUNCH ANY SORT OF PROJECTILE, THUS IS NOT A MISSILE UNIT DESPITE ITS LONG ATTACKING REACH (range).

Sorry just had to get it out there, tired of people saying that battering rams are missile units.

1) Defending Ranged units receive a range bonus of 5% per level of wall. IE: Level 10 walls give an archer 2400 range if you have level 10 archery.

2) If ANY ranged unit, attacking OR defending is in range of shooting at an enemy unit, the ranged unit will not move, it will “Stand and shoot”.

3) If two or more ranged units are locked onto one target, the unit with the highest speed fires first, if the unit was killed, check if the other unit that was locked onto the same unit can lock on to a different unit.

4) Long Ranged battles follow all of the SPEED regulation rules of the short ranged battle rules.

Missile Units in Short Defence

These are the rules for ranged units in short defence.

The following works both ways as in, the same rules apply for defending missile units shooting the attacking army.

Rules for when missile attack a defence in short range:

1) Will target archer towers

2) Will Then target highest total MISSILE (Ranged) attack power (Will target either archers, ballista or catapults depending on which unit has the highest attack stack)

3) Will THEN target the highest Speed unit (including scouts)

1) Will target archer towers, Report:

2) Will Then target Highest total MISSILE (Ranged) attack power (Will target either archers, ballista or catapults depending on which unit has the highest attack stack)

Highest Missile power in report ABOVE is archers being at 180 per archer (180 x 100000 = 18,000,000 total attack VS 1 ballista at 300 or so or 1 pult at 600 or so, its obvious). The next report is proving the fact again as it hits ballista being the NEXT highest attack ranged unit.

As you can see, 1000 Ballista has more total attack than 100 Catapults.

3) Will THEN target the highest Speed unit (Besides Scouts).

Report above hits cataphracts being the fastest unit out of all of them. The next following report will hit the pikeman (I took the cataphracts out) because they are then the next fastest unit, then the swordsmen after I take the pikemen out. Here are the reports:
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-14-2013 at 09:30 PM.

reserved.... need to re edit..

^^ Hits pikeman

^^ Hits Swordsman

So as you can see, my theory of hitting archer towers first, then highest total missile unit attack power then fastest unit is correct, however I said it works in both attack and defence.

So this time we’ll see what the DEFENDING archers hit against the ATTACKING wave.

^^ Hits Catapults, 1k archer total attack = 180000, 1k Ballista total attack = 675000, 1k Catapult total attack = 900000. So as you can see it still targets the highest total ranged attack unit. Here is another report.

^^ Hits ballista being highest total attack ranged unit

^^ Hits archers being highest total ranged attack unit remaining. I will not show you more on this matter because as you can see I am correct. So my statement about what missile units targets in attack vs defence and defence vs attack being the same is correct as well.

Removing The Dead

Removing the dead is the 3rd and final phase of all the phases. Just remember that even though you may have shot the enemy doesn’t mean they don’t get to fire back.

The removing the dead phase happens twice, after the close combat phase, and after the shooting phase. Basically just remove all casualties.

Recap

Lets recap on what we have learnt so far. So far we have learnt that to determine the range of the battlefield we must add the base range + 200 of the highest ranged missile unit.

A Narrow Range has: No Traps, No Abatis, No Defensive Trebs, No Ballistas and No Catapults. A Narrow Range defence MUST have at least ONE archer. It has 1400 Yards.

A Short Range has: No Traps, No Abatis, No Defensive Trebs, No Archers, No Ballistas and No Catapults. It must however have one archer tower. It has 1500 Yards.

A Close Range has: No Traps, No Abatis, No Defensive Trebs and No Catapults. A Close Range Defence MUST have at least ONE Catapult (Please note, the catapult, archer or ballista can be on either side, attacking or defending, just so long as there is one in a battle). It has 1600 Yards.

A Wide Range has: No Traps, No Abatis, No Defensive Trebs and must have at least ONE Catapult, so be it either attacking or defending. It has 1700 Yards.

A Long Range has: Either 1 or more traps, 1 or more abatis or 1 or more defensive trebs. Just to make sure you fully understand, you can have 1 trap and its long range or 1 abatis or 1 treb, or you can have 2 of them etc etc, you get the idea hopefully.

Movement:

Attackers start at point 0 and move UP the battle field, or in a right direction (l→), Defenders start at the furthest point of the battle field, be it 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700 or 5200 and move DOWN the battle field, or in a left direction (←).

The fastest unit in the entire battle will move first, if there are two of the same type both being on the attacking side and the defending side, the defending side is dominant and moves first, then the attacking unit moves first. Everything else moves in speed order.

Scouts and Transporters do not move until everything else in the army that they are in (either attacking or defending) is dead.

If a Missile unit is in range of any other unit, it will effectively, “SAS” (Stand and shoot) as they would in real life.

Close Combat:

When you are trying to determine whether a melee unit is able to attack a unit, you add its range to the distance of its reach, EG (Cavalry have 1500 movement, you move it up 1500, if a unit is at 1600 it can still attack it even though its 100 yards away, because it has a range of 100).

Melee units, (Workers, Warriors, Scouts, Pikeman, Swordsmen, Cavalry, Cataphract and Battering Rams) are NOT affected by the Archery Technology.

Order of Operations

1) Targets highest ranged stack (highest total attack power of missile units) (Archers, ballista and catapults).

2) Targets highest melee stack (highest total attack power of melee units) (Workers, Warriors, Scouts, Pikemen, Swordsmen, Cavalry, Cataphracts, Battering Rams).

3) Targets highest speed (NOT speed stack).

Another thing, if an attacking unit and a defending unit are locked in combat, BOTH get to strike at each other, not just one.

One other thing, if one of the sides (defending or attacking) have 2 units locked in combat (or more), the fastest unit strikes first, then to determine what it targets, use the order of operations, if for some reason the fastest unit does not kill the one its targeting, the next fastest unit will target that unit as well, so on so fourth.

Ranged Combat

There are only 3 ranged units in the game (Missile units), Archers, Ballistae and Catapults.

Battering Rams are not Ranged Units (Missile units).

Defending Ranged units receive a range bonus of 5% per level of wall. IE: Level 10 walls give an archer 2400 range if you have level 10 archery.

If ANY ranged unit, attacking OR defending is in range of shooting at an enemy unit, the ranged unit will not move, it will “Stand and shoot”. (SAS)

If two or more ranged units are locked onto one target, the unit with the highest speed fires first, if the unit was killed, check if the other unit that was locked onto the same unit can lock on to a different unit.

Long Ranged battles follow all of the SPEED regulation rules of the short ranged battle rules.

Missile Units in Short Defence:

1) Will target Archer Towers

2) Will Then target Highest total MISSILE (Ranged) attack power (Will target either archers, ballista or catapults depending on which unit has the highest attack stack)

3) Will THEN target the highest Speed unit (Besides Scouts).

Characteristics Table Attacker
    Archer 180 75 1800 500 50 375 4 2
    Ballista 675 240 2100 150 70 480 25 5
    Catapult 900 300 2250 120 150 720 125 8
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-14-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Characteristics Table Defender

(assuming lvl 10 walls)
    Archer 180 75 2400 500 50 375 4 2
    Ballista 675 240 2800 150 70 480 25 5
    Catapult 900 300 2250 120 150 720 125 3000

Attack Names/Strategies

This section will just be some of my favourite attacks or attack strategies that perhaps you can imply in the battlefield. Please note, Archer sniping (Both cav and archers) are my favourite attacks .

Archer Sniping (Cav)

My favourite attack of all time not many expect the outcome and generally rage bomb you after.

The battlefield must be 1600 yards long or less.

Requirements: Enemy has no cavalry

Send: 100k cavalry or more

Explanation:

The cavalry will move first (because there is no defending cav) and reach the other end of the battlefield, will be locked in combat immediately, the cavalry will target the highest ranged stack first, generally being archers and have 1 round of attacking them. The highest amount of archers I have killed in 1 of these attacks is 450k, and I had 65% heal so I only lost 35k cavalry.

Cavalry Jaq

Everyone knows what the jaq attack is right? Yeah-well people still don’t really understand how it works 100%. People try sending jaq attacks with 100k cav, but that’s not a jaq attack.

The battlefield must be 1600 yards long or less.

Requirements: Enemy has no cav, no phract, no pikes, no swords, no warriors, no workers and no rams.

Send: Ballista, Archers, Scouts in a 1:3:5 ratio, the rest will be cavalry. Send enough to avoid split damage.

Explanation:

Don’t send pults because it will make the battlefield at 1700 range and the cav wont get there on the first turn, the archers/lista/pults will shoot the ballista/archers/scouts before attacking the cavalry thus allowing the cavalry more rounds to attack the archers.

Archer Sniping (Arch)

Basically the same outcome as the archer sniping with cav, you kill the enemy archers.

The battlefield must be 5200 yards long.

Requirements: Enemy has no cav, no phract, no pikes and no swordsmen.

Send: 1k Cav, 99k archers

Explanation:

We all know that defending archers have 600 more range then an attacking archer, so in order to close the gap for the attacking archer to get in range of the defending archer, we send a cavalry for the defending archer to shoot so our attacking archer can get more time.

Our archers will shoot their archers, and their archers will shoot ours back, depending on your hero and star set, you can kill anywhere from 20k-150k in 1 hit.

Jaq Attack (Impure)

This my friends is the impure Jaq attack, we have all heard of it, yet many still don’t under stand it, I hope to make you understand after this.

Battlefield must be 1600 yards or less.

Requirements: Enemy must have no cav, phracts or pults.

Send: Ballista, Archers, Scouts, 10k cavalry, the rest cataphracts.

Ratio: 1:3:5 (Lista,Arch,Scout)

Explanation:

The enemy will generally have melee units, so the impure jaq attack only allows your cataphracts ONE round of attacking the enemy archers.

Your cavalry move up and hold the enemy at bay while still killing the enemy archers, the defending archers/lista/archer towers shoot down your lista, archers and scouts.

The second round your phract move up now being the fastest and make contact with everything, your phract then target the highest ranged stack usually being the archers and attack them for 1 round, I have killed up to 850k archers with this.

Jaq Attack (Pure)

This is the PURE jack attack, we have all heard of it, still most ppl don’t understand it.

Battlefield must be 1700 yards or less.

Requirements: Enemy must have No Cavalry, No Cataphracts, No Pikemen, No Swordsmen, No warriors, No workers, No Battering Rams and No Archer towers (Archer towers are optional, but I highly recommend getting rid of them as it will get you an extra round of attacking)

Send: Catapults, Ballista’s, Archers, Scouts and the rest Cataphracts.

Ratio: 1:1:3:5 (Catapults, Ballista’s, Archers, Scouts)

Explanation:

The enemy has no melee units this time, so you can spend up to:

4 Rounds: Enemy has only archers in city.
    2 Rounds: Enemy has only 2 missile units in city.
    1/2 Rounds: Enemy has only 3 Missile units in city.
    1 Round: Enemy has, Catapults, Ballista’s, Archers and Archer Towers

Attacking the archers with phracts

The ½ rounds is 1 of the ranged units will attack the phract, but they may live with a few to attack the next round.

(Please note, the first wave is for the phracts to move up).

Ill give you an explanation of each scenario.

Enemy has only archers:

Round 1

Cataphract move up, Catapults, Ballistas and Archers shoot the defending archers.

Defending Archers shoot Catapult. (Being highest ranged stack)

Round 2

Cataphract make contact with archers, ballistas and archers shoot the defending archers.

Cataphracts attack archers.

Defending archers shoot Ballista (being the next highest ranged stack).

Round 3

Cataphract still in contact with archers.

Cataphract attack the archers

Defending archers shoot attacking archers, shoot defending archers.

Round 4

Cataphract still in contact with archers.

Cataphract attack the archers

Defending archers shoot the scouts (Fastest unit).

Round 5

Cataphract still in contact with archers

Cataphract attack the archers, defending archers punch cataphracts to death.

Now if you add another ranged unit on the defending side, you loose another round for the cataphracts to strike, as each turn you will be loosing 2 units instead of 1, make sense?

Ram Smack (inf)

In my honest opinion, I only find ram smack effective when trying to take out infantry.

The battle field must be 1700 yards or less

Requirements: Enemy has no catapults, ballistas or archers.

Send: 1k Workers, 1k Warriors, 1k Pikemen, 1k Swordsmen, 1k Cavalry, 1k Cataphracts, Either 10k or 15k ballista, Either 15k or 20k Catapults (So that the ballista and catapults add up to 30k) and 89k or more rams.

I would suggest having maximum attack on your hero.

Explanation:

The Rams have a range of 600, so the idea is to stall the enemy with your layers so that your 600 ranged rams can pelt them with its shaft from a distance (NOT A RANGED UNIT) and not be harmed.

The second idea behind it is with the pults and the ballista, they are there so that lets say your sending this ram wave to clear 6million warriors but theres like 2k pike and 1k sword in the way.

The catapults and ballista will clear those swords and pikes first wave because they are the fastest unit for the defender, so they will be targeted first.

Once the layers are dead and its just the mechs remaining, there will be nothing left besides the unit that you want your rams to kill (be it pike, sword or wars etc etc) and the rams will be a massive tank.

It will take an ass long time for the inf to get through those rams, so every round those rams are taking hits, the 30k pults/lista up the back are still firing on them.

This in my opinion is the most effective way to kill infantry.
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-15-2013 at 02:34 AM.

4 Second Kill

This has gotta be the most awesome attack I’ve ever done.

Requirements: Entire alliance must do it (most players as possible) Mech sender must have a 14 or 16.

Send:

1st second, all of the alliance sends from all of their cities scout/cav spam waves to land on the first specific second, this will whipe the abatis/traps/dt’s making it a short defence.

2nd second, people send pike waves to kill all cavalry.

3rd second: the 10 chosen archer people send 10k cav and the rest archers, as many archer waves as you can, this will kill all of the archer towers, all of the archers, all of the ballistas and all of the catapults. (PLEASE NOTE, THIS MUST BE CALCULATED CORRECTLY)

4th second: The mech user from the 14/16/18 sends the “Ram Smack (Inf)” attack, this will whipe out any infantry left in the city.

NOTE: This attack is very unlikely to be successful if you don’t have a solid team of people who know what they’re doing.

Suggested for a core alliance of good people that have 30 ppl in it and understand game mechanics at a similar level.

There are many more like the archer rain bow and all those ones that everyone knows, so they’re not really special ones that im gonna put in here.

Helpful Tips

Just a few tips that might help ya when your building and such, or even when you’re getting attacked.

1) When your not using your food for sending attacks or building troops, send it to valleys in transporters, then it wont get eaten, when you get back online, recall it.

2) If your under attack and you have like 200k layers etc etc, you can send a few lots of 500 war 500 pike 500 sword 250 cav 250 phract on a camp time attack to a valley for 20 min, then send all the rest out to a valley.

When the enemy attacks you with an arch bow, press return on 1 of those small layer lots and you’ll only loose those layers, which is barely anything, keep repeating the process.

3) You should ALWAYS have a damn pult in your city, if you don’t then you are 300000000% more prone to cavalry tactics and menouvours, cavalry aren’t effective in 1700 range or 5200 range. (well they are, just not AS effective).

4) If you have a 15 set, and you have 1 million swordsmen backed up by 20 million warriors, 2mil archers 200k lista and like 100k catapults. I hate you. End of story.
    5) Just get 5-6 cities with all lumber mills, 10 lvl 10 forests and a bad ass forests and you’ll have 6 cities that make 1mil lumber + hr hour.

Repeat with iron cities (4-5) and you’ll have so much iron and lumber that you cant even stack your barracks up and keep up with your production.

6) If your going to teleport on someone as a group, don’t forget, you can capture npc’s and random them out opening another spot for someone else to come in.

7) If someone declares a 1v1 and the other person agrees, just don’t interfere, your such a ****head if you do.

8) Never brag, just don’t, it makes it alliance dislike you and people around you, and don’t be so mean with orders if your leading the attacks :P I learnt from that mistake.

9) Enjoy the game, but don’t forget, there is life outside of evony.

Test Yourself!

Just because you read my guide countless times doesn’t mean you know how to attack/defend. You have to go out and actually do it and get experience, experience is the best way to learn how to play the game, by actually attacking/defending, you will pick up the mechanics and memorise it faster then reading this guide.

I hope this guide helps you understand more about the battle mechanics of the game.

Version two extension

Contents:

How casualties actually work - Credit to Blah for assisting me

Different technology levels

Healing “Bugs”

Calculators

How casualties actually work

In the first part of my guide, I don’t really explain how casualties actually work or how getting the figures for certain numbers actually work. I was just saying troop attack * # of troops = total attack etc etc, the basic stuff. Well that is totally incorrect.

When trying to find out casualties, you have to go through a number of calculations, insert the correct numbers into the formula and then bang, there you have it. The number of casualties in the method I am about to show you is only for 1 round, not 1 entire wave sent, for example:

Attack = (Troop base attack*War horn Multiplier)/100*(Hero Bonus Attack + Hero Attack)/2+(Military Tradition*5)+100)*#of troops.

Hero Bonus Attack = (Base Hero Attack without gear/stars * 1.25 (if excal is activated)).

Effective life = life/(1-defense)

Life = ((((Medicine * 5 + 100)/100) * troop base life * star set multiplier) + hero intel)

Defense = (1.5 * (troop base defense * corselet multiplier))/1000

Casualties = attack/effective life

Attacker statistics

100k Arch shoot 100k Arch
    Hero’s: 500 attack, 85 intel, 9 set
    Warhorn, Coreset Applied
    No Excalibur or leadership added
    All techs lvl 10

Defender Staistics

100k Arch shoot 100k Arch
    Hero’s: 500 attack, 85 intel, 9 set
    Warhorn, Coreset Applied
    No Excalibur or leadership added
    All techs lvl 10

Equation:

(Troop base attack*War horn Multiplier)/100*(Hero Bonus Attack + Hero Attack)/2+(Military Tradition*5)+100)*#of troops/(((((Medicine Tech*5)+100)/100*(Troop Base Life*Star set Multiplier)+Hero intel)/ (1-(Iron Working*5)+100)/100*(Troop base defence*Corset Multiplier)/1000)

(120*1.2)/100*(500/2+(150))*100000/(150/100*(250*2)+85)/ (1-(150/100*(50*1.2)/1000)

C = A/EL
    A = (BA*WH)/100*(HBA+HA)/2+(MT*5)+100)*#Troop.
    HBA = (BHA * E)
    EL = L/(1 - D)
    L = ((M * 5 + 100)/100) * ((BL * SS) + HI)
    D = ((IW * 5 + 100)/100) * ((BD * CM)/1000)

So in English you need to find out the Defence, Life, Effective Life and Attack.

In order to find the Defence you need to find the Base Defence (of troop) and whether a corset is applied or not and the iron working bonus.

In order to find Life you need to find the Base Life (of troop) and the Star Set Multiplier and the Intelligence level of the Hero and the Medicine bonus.

In order to find out the Effective Life you need to find the Life and Defence

In order to find out the Attack you need to find out the Base Attack (of troop) and whether a War Horn is applied and the Attack of the Hero and the # of troops and the military tradition multiplier.

In order to find the Casualties, you need to find the Attack and the Effective life.

Now lets go through this in English:

Lets find the D

D = ((10 * 5 + 100)/100) * ((BD * CM)/1000)
    D = ((150/100) * ((BD * CM)/1000)
    D = 1.5 * ((50 * CM)/1000)
    D = 1.5 * ((50 * 1.2)/1000)
    D = 1.5 * 60/1000
    D = 90/1000
    D = 0.09

Lets find the L

L = ((10 * 5 + 100)/100) * ((BL * SS) + HI)
    L = ((50 + 100)/100) * ((BL * SS) + HI)
    L = (150/100) * ((BL * SS) + HI)
    L = 1.5 * ((250 * SS) + HI)
    L = 1.5 * ((250 * 2) + HI)
    L = 1.5 * 500 + HI
    L = 750 + 85
    L = 835

Lets find the EL

EL = L/(1 - D)
    EL = 835/(1 – 0.09)
    EL = 835/0.91
    EL = 917.58

Lets find the A

A = (120*WH)/100*(HBA+HA)/2+(10*5)+100)*#Troop
    A = (120*1.2)/100*(500/2+150)*100000
    A = (144/100*(250+150)*100000
    A = (1.44*400)*100000
    A = 576*100000
    A = 576000

Now lets find the C

C = A/EL
    C = 576000/917.58
    C = 627

From that 1 round of volleying, the 100k archers killed 627 archers from the defending archers. However, if they are not within Rapid fire range, halve the casualties.

Rapid fire (RF) = ½ the total range of unit. IE: (<900) (If the unit is further than 900 yards away, halve the casualties).

Lets give you another scenario to work out:

60k Attacking Ballista just volleyed onto 3.5million warriors

Attacking Player statistics:

832 Attack 85 intel 12 set
    Warhorn + Corset applied
    No excal or Leadership bonus/uprise
    All Techs level 10
    Not in RF Range (Halve the casualties)

Defending Player statistics:

439 Attack 142 Intel 9 set
    Warhorn + Corset applied
    No excal or Leadership bonus/uprise
    All Techs level 10

C = A/EL
    HBA = (BHA * E)
    EL = L/(1 - D)

A = (450*1.2)/100*(832/2+150)*60000
    A = (540/100*(416+150))*60000
    A = (5.4*566)*60000
    A = 3056.64*60000
    A = 183,384,000

L = (150/100) * ((200 * 2) + 132)
    L = 1.5 * 400 + 132
    L = 600 + 132
    L = 732

D = (150/100) * (50 * 1.2)/1000)
    D = 1.5 * 75/1000
    D = 112.5/1000
    D = 0.1125

EL = 732/(1 – 0.1125)
    EL = 732/0.8875
    EL = 824.78

C = 183,384,000/824.78/2
    C = 222,342 warriors killed(if in RF Range, however they are not)
    C = 222,342/2
    C = 111,171 warriors killed in that ONE volley.

Now just to show you how much star sets really mean, I’m going to assume the dude with the warriors has a 15 star set, so lets just change that life equation a little bit.
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-15-2013 at 12:50 AM.

L was:

L = (150/100) * ((200 * 2) + 132)
    L = 1.5 * 400 + 132
    L = 600 + 132
    L = 732

Is now changed to:

L = (150/100) * ((200 * 3.2) + 132)
    L = 1.5 * 400 + 132
    L = 600 + 132
    L = 732

EL was:

EL = 732/(1 – 0.1125)
    EL = 732/0.8875
    EL = 824.78

Is now changed to:

EL = 1092/0.8875
    EL = 1230.42

C was:

C = 183,384,000/824.78/2
    C = 222,342 warriors killed(if in RF Range, however they are not)
    C = 222,342/2
    C = 111,171 warriors killed in that ONE volley.

Is now changed to:

C = 183,384,000/1230.42/2
    C = 149,041 warriors killed(if in RF Range, however they are not)
    C = 149,041/2
    C = 74520 warriors killed in that ONE volley.

Let's give you one more example:

Attacker Statistics:

921 Attack 85 Intel (Queen)
    Warhorn Applied, Corselet Applied, Excalibur Applied
    All techs level 10

Defender Statistics:

23 Attack 923 Intel (Some random hh)
    Warhorn Applied, Corselet Applied
    All techs level 10, 15 Star set

100k Archers shoot 10million Archers 1 volley

C = A/EL
    HBA = (BHA * E)
    EL = L/(1 - D)

Lets find the BHA:

BHA = (BHA * E - BHA)
    BHA = (184 * 1.25 - 184)
    BHA = 46

Lets find the A:

A = (120*1.2)/100*(46+921)/2+(10*5)+100)*100000
    A = (1.44*(967/2+150))*100000
    A = (1.44*633.5)*100000
    A = 912.24*100000
    A = 91,224,000

Lets find the D:

D = ((10 * 5 + 100)/100) * ((50 * 1.2)/1000)
    D = (150/100) * (60/1000)
    D = 1.5 * 0.06
    D = 0.09

Lets find the L:

L = ((10 * 5 + 100)/100) * ((250 * 3.2) + 923)
    L = (150/100) * (800 + 923)
    L = 1.5 * 1723
    L = 2584.5

Lets find the EL:

EL = L/(1 - D)
    EL = 2584.5/(1 - 0.09)
    EL = 2584.5/0.91
    EL = 2840.10

Lets find the C:

C = A/EL
    C = 91,224,000/2840.10
    C = 32119 Archers dead if in RF Range
    C = 32119/2
    C = 16059 Archers dead if not in RF Range

One other thing I may like to mention is that if a ranged unit shoots at its maximum range, IE: Archer shoots a unit it's maximum range away, it will only deal 25% of the damage, so it goes as follows:

Range % Damage %
    1-49% 100%
    50-99 % 50%
    100% 25%

Different Tech levels

Now, seeming as there has been lots of talk about different tech levels as of late, I decided I would add a little section about the tech levels.

It really isn’t that hard to figure out how to use different tech levels and what their advantages and disadvantages are, it takes about 3 hours of studying a movement/range calculator out to figure out all the loopholes.

Many people have been deciding to go level 8 compass and their reasoning’s are: Because it makes archers like mini ballista.

That is correct when you’re facing a level 10 compass player, however that level 10 compass player can also squash you like a bug if he knows what he/she is doing.

The idea behind level 8 compass is to trick the folks with level 10 compass so that you take control of the battle and majority of their tactics/waves will not work on you because they don’t know much about mechanics, they only know what to send, as in, if this is in the city, send this, because that is what everyone says.
    Another thing not many people have thought of is altering tech levels to make it easier to capture hc’s or NPC’s, perhaps alliance leadership could have a think about it. It may make capturing Atlantis all that much easier in the future.

If you would like more information on tech levels and wish me to go into the core of it, please post below. You should be able to figure it out yourself from this guide.
    Last edited by The Real Gilgad; 09-15-2013 at 02:26 AM.