Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cheating/Multi accs

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    I'm going to assume you dont have a background in business or IT, so I'll give you a brief explanation. Server computers and personal computers are not in the same league in terms of cost. Servers are vastly more expensive in cost to purchase, cost to run, and cost to maintain. Being a "multimillion dollar company" is not relevant. Every business with more than 5 employees is a "multimillion dollar company."

Like most businesses, we run on thin profit margins. There's not some guy running Evony on a PC in his basement. We have deals worked out with several internet datacenters who host and provide power and internet for our servers. This creates enormous costs associated with running the game and those costs must be paid for by players, or else we go out of business and no one gets to play.

These costs include server processing capacity and internet throughput capacity. The more players we have connected to our servers, the more it costs. Normally, this is a good thing. More players means that even though our costs go up, we have more people making purchases, so it pays for itself. However, with bots, our costs go up, but our income does not. That is because bots don't buy things. In fact, many people use bots instead of buying things.

It costs more and more to host all of these bots, but we aren't getting more income. Its not hard to see that our thin profit margins will quickly evaporate and we won't be able to continue to function as a business. If that happens, then Evony goes dark, permanently.

So we're taking this step. We know its not popular, but we also know that we like Evony. We like our players and we want to keep operating. So we have to do the unpopular thing so that we can continue to exist.

It was our mistake to allow botting in the first place. We thought it wasn't a big deal and we could deal with it down the road. We were wrong. We messed up. Now we have to do the best we can to clean up the mess. We hope in the long term that players will understand.
    And without bots, your products value to the customer goes down. I'm honestly not sure what you're looking at, but the only time I ever seen a drop in people coining is when threats or action is made against people who are botting/multi accounting. The bots create activity that make the game fun, when you have to farm by hand, people leave. By its very nature, your game requires you to monitor things 24 hours a day, something "people" can't do.

The expectation is that profits will increase or remain the same? How can you say that, when you've not seen this game bot free in many years? All the guys who are botting play now. Remove bots, they leave. Most will leave. Wat!? I hope you didn't gauge results from the 3 IP limit test you did for a few days... Cuz dewdz wur still bottin through proxies breh.

On second thought, maybe everyone being banned will be the best thing for Evony players.

Lagged if we do, lagged if we don't? I hate to see the servers go out of business, but that's something we all went into this ahead of time, knowing was the future. There might be a way to fix the revenue thing. I do know that for the casual player, $30-120 for a package is just not worth it when you can buy a full single-player game for no more than twice that, even if a new release. Compared to some (most?) subscriptions though, $30 every 6 months would be very cheap. There's a psychological issue that $30 all at once seems like a lot.

Well, from what I've read, and how the game is acting at this point, I'd have to say that evony is going to let the botters run their bots and let the servers lag. I don't see how even the botters could enjoy this if any fights are not working properly due to lag. that is exactly what will happen. Do they really need those size armies to play this game? in 4 years going on 5 now of playing this game, it appears nobody will ever win at all. Botters spend money here, lets see how much they spend with the lag building up, where eventually not even the bots could login due to lag or servers being down constantly. Oh well.

Me thinks one solution to this problem would be to require all accounts to be email verified which is easy to apply and would stop many multi accounts because of fake emails

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialHam View Post
    And without bots, your products value to the customer goes down. I'm honestly not sure what you're looking at, but the only time I ever seen a drop in people coining is when threats or action is made against people who are botting/multi accounting. The bots create activity that make the game fun, when you have to farm by hand, people leave. By its very nature, your game requires you to monitor things 24 hours a day, something "people" can't do.

The expectation is that profits will increase or remain the same? How can you say that, when you've not seen this game bot free in many years? All the guys who are botting play now. Remove bots, they leave. Most will leave. Wat!? I hope you didn't gauge results from the 3 IP limit test you did for a few days... Cuz dewdz wur still bottin through proxies breh.

On second thought, maybe everyone being banned will be the best thing for Evony players.
    There is a difference between botting for food, 1 account farming for food overnight and while you are at work, and botting 20-100 accounts that you draft causing your food bill to go up which you then make feeder accounts you farm for food (adding another 5-10 bots). There is a huge difference between every player having 1 account running 24/7 and every player having 50 accounts running 24/7.. I am not saying bots are wrong don't use them because I would be speaking against myself (Yes, I bot); however, using bots to run multiple accounts to draft IS wrong.

It annoys me how everyone says "Botting should be alowed because we can't play 24/7." If you think about it instead of being some dumbass janitor at a preschool, botting would be allowed if you didn't have 50 damn accounts. I have been playing this game for way to long, and I have only had 1-2 accounts per server. Once I started botting I only used 1. (I also regained my social life not having to play 24/7). I didn't take botting as an invitation to run 100s of accounts to speed up a game, and I am not sure why anyone did.

Default Rofl

First let me say this thread is full of people with no tech knowledge, networking skills or the basic understanding of "botting"

Servers cost vastly more because a server can not crash.. Simple.. you need redundant power supplies, a raid setup, error checking ram.. just to name a basic low cost server.

You can't stop multi accounting.. evonys goals should be to reduce the effectiveness of such. How in a war game? Its not really possible.. you can farm someone for food so you can farm an alt for food.

Networking people.. come on there is also no way to stop VPN's, proxies, etc. What would you do bind the account to a single ip when most internet users are still using none static ips.. mine changes depending on usage a few times a day most annoying to unlock games like Path of exile when I go to play.

Bots.. why does everyone think a bot is so easy to stop? I can write one that clicks in an random area on the button stopping location tracking.. takes random breaks etc.

So lets say you make a bold move and block the classic bots.. you got nerds playing the game like me who botted way before it was the popular thing to do... before a flash reverse client was made.. many games spend tons of money to stop bots to only fall short (examples being world of warcraft)

Games with farming/building will always be about cheating and not skill.. on WoW the best gear can be bought what makes you think Evony is some wizard?

If you want a war game that lacks cheating switch to a MOBA which starts everyone at lvl 1 for each bout.

I'm not saying its great hell some people I come up against have 10 - 20x the troops I have but serious educate your damn selfs... do a simple google search about botting games and see what hell it has caused for any grind2play game.

Lets say they remove drafting from age2 (I'm an age2 players these days) people will just actually hit you with the damn alts.. many big players coin there alts to 15sets for faster troops or buy prebuilt accounts. Hell even without a 15set I can mill your walls down using a 9 set and beat the leaving **** out of you using my 15sets.. or what about farming gear? I can simply sit back for a year farm up 10 alts to 15sets and smash you with all 10. What stand do you think evony can do to stop this? They limit per ips.. I buy more ips.. they flag accounts logining from one ip (your main ip).. you simply switch to using your other ips to hit with using proxy engine software like proxifier porting each flash instance to its correct ip so evony knows no better.

Evony litterally has 0 options you just don't see it. Tell me one and I'll tell you how to counter it. They remove bots the big players build there own and rule the world.... god I miss those days. You guys want a even playing field but a grind2play game is all about finding ways not to grind.. to play more and grind less.

Example:

WoW raiding use to cost a fortune in elixers and gear repairs. Toro driven solutions.. I wrote a macro style bot that emulated human behavior in a low level like C++ to stop wardens detection and botted enough gold to be able to raid 8 hours a days. Its just about how hardcore you are or how much money you have.

Evony's 3 account limit was beat day 1 in any top alliance.. so stop *****ing at them there is litterally nothing they can do. They tried captcha's and people just paid others to put them in for them while they where away.. either way the guy with big bucks and brains is going to kick your ass live with it.

But what does a simple toro know
    ASexyToro NA10
    Torolicous Na36

Yes the bots and alts have taken over the game
    Yes it is probably true that shy of closing down the entire game, there is very little that can really be done to rid of bots of alts.

What I think is annoying and reducing the trust that people once had in Evony, is their refusal to admit that they are really that swamped with the bots/alts.

Rather than threatening to remove thems why don't they learn to work with what has taken control of the game?

I would venture to say that @ least 90% of the players are either running an alt or a bot or both. So turn this into a positive, unless you want to close the game down. Because closing it is about the only way to completely rid of them.

Take the bots and create an Evony approved Bot, that way everyone is allowed to run them

Create a panel of people that truly understand the mechanics of the game (not your programmers that have no clue what is going on within the game) and ask yourselves why the need for a dozen alts? The gastly cost or amount of food to feed a gazillion troops?....whatever the reasons may be, if you look at the problems and ask yourselves how to turn it around to work for everyone then you might eventually regain some trust.

As things stand right now there are a lot of people that were here when the game first started and yes they might cheat. But still they look at the scrolling marque that threatens to remove them but yet every day the number continues to grow while every day the amount of honest players continues to dwindle (either because they have given up not being able to keep up with bots/alts or they have lost faith in Evony altogether)

Regain peoples trust by admitting that you can not rid the game of bots and alts and look at how to make it work for the players and for Evony. I think if Evony really wanted to make this game a success they could. But they need to accept the truth and then figure out how to turn that negative into a huge positive. I think in the long run it could be very beneficial for Evony and everyone else.

Bots and Evony. They were destined to meet at some point. Unless Evony learns to cope with bots, then, this game will crash and burn. CC5 for example. You have the 1127 family, known from All1 and then the 0 family. Don't know where they come from. 1127 holds like 10 alts, 15 star sets each, so does 0. They can fight and fight and fight, and no one is going to win, because everything and everyone on that server is botted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    I'm going to assume you dont have a background in business or IT, so I'll give you a brief explanation. Server computers and personal computers are not in the same league in terms of cost. Servers are vastly more expensive in cost to purchase, cost to run, and cost to maintain. Being a "multimillion dollar company" is not relevant. Every business with more than 5 employees is a "multimillion dollar company."

Like most businesses, we run on thin profit margins. There's not some guy running Evony on a PC in his basement. We have deals worked out with several internet datacenters who host and provide power and internet for our servers. This creates enormous costs associated with running the game and those costs must be paid for by players, or else we go out of business and no one gets to play.

These costs include server processing capacity and internet throughput capacity. The more players we have connected to our servers, the more it costs. Normally, this is a good thing. More players means that even though our costs go up, we have more people making purchases, so it pays for itself. However, with bots, our costs go up, but our income does not. That is because bots don't buy things. In fact, many people use bots instead of buying things.

It costs more and more to host all of these bots, but we aren't getting more income. Its not hard to see that our thin profit margins will quickly evaporate and we won't be able to continue to function as a business. If that happens, then Evony goes dark, permanently.

So we're taking this step. We know its not popular, but we also know that we like Evony. We like our players and we want to keep operating. So we have to do the unpopular thing so that we can continue to exist.

It was our mistake to allow botting in the first place. We thought it wasn't a big deal and we could deal with it down the road. We were wrong. We messed up. Now we have to do the best we can to clean up the mess. We hope in the long term that players will understand.
    This entire post makes me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness5577 View Post
    This entire post makes me laugh.

Your Bull**** rating made me laugh even harder.