Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ElDiavolo View Post
    I can't believe how Brasil and Holland managed to win. Chile and Mexico deserved to go through to the quarter-finals. And the penalty on Robben was just ridiculous.
    That penalty was already deserved in the 1st half but not given

Quote Originally Posted by queste View Post
    That penalty was already deserved in the 1st half but not given
    You might be right about the situation at the end of first half, but he deserved yellow card even before that for trying to get a free kick on 16 meter line, if he had gotten it then he wouldn't be trying to trick referee again

That Algerian keeper put on an Ochoa-like show!

Sad to see them gone, the last African hope

They did, however, expose Germany's severe lack of athleticism. I'm betting on France advancing to the semis.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMistakes View Post
    I hope Siphon doesnt post

You know, since we're on the subject, who's your favorite player, all time?

Mine has to be Zidane. Mon Dieu that guy was good!

As for the current event, The French team has surprised me (and a lot of others) so far. I just don't see them getting to the finals however. And Brasil seem to lack firepower, notwithstanding Neymar, in addition to feeling enormous pressure playing at home. I just don't see anyone other than the Dutch winning this. Oh well... we'll see soon enough.

Lets go Costa Rica

Quote Originally Posted by ElDiavolo View Post
    Lets go Costa Rica

You almost got your wish there Diavo... still, I think the Oranje deserved the win. No criticism on Costa-Rica mind you. They played a superb tournament and that goalkeeper was sublime.

I always go for the underdogs But yes, Dutch deserved their win. Semi-finals should be fun.

Really hoping for the Dutch to win it all now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMistakes View Post
    I hope Siphon doesnt post

Ooookay... well, that was something new.

I am referring of course to the Germany- Brasil semi.

I blame the coaches as much as the players for this debacle. Couldn't they have shielded the team better so the pressure wouldn't be so paralysing? Even crushing? I remember well the Montreal Canadiens team of 1986 and 1993 going into total isolation for more than a month in their run for the Stanley Cup. Hockey is something we take VERY seriously up here in Quebec, I assure you. And the team directors felt that no contact with journalists, indeed no newspaper, radio or television at all would keep the pressure off the boys. And they were right.

Something is very wrong when players melt into tears before a penalty round, as happened with the Brazilian team earlier in the tournament. Now, I know this perhaps isn't the best team Brasil has ever fielded. In fact, certainly so. But never so bad as to warrant this humiliation. These guys simply weren't prepared right to face and deal with this great event that is an actual Mundial in Brasil, their home. I feel sad for these guys.

The Mannshaft? The Germans? Everyone took that team seriously enough from the start. But that 7 to 1 final score is never an indication of their real strength. I am glad for Klose however. Great record!!