Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ask a Frenchman (part deux).

Quote Originally Posted by Wildor View Post
    Anything but waking up next to a dead horse's head.

what about your head winding up in a horses bed?

Sig Courtesy Of Sickness!
    Bomben - Great Phract Smack - My History
    Quote Originally Posted by davemata View Post
    ssssssssffffdrdrawers. You can't tell me to stop being who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ssfgrgawer View Post
    what about your head winding up in a horses bed?
    I've been around horses enough... my head would make a wonderful toy for a horse.

By the way, we are getting our first terrorist attacks up here in Canada these days. Very Canadian... these guys are very polite and don't want to disturb too many people. Hence, one goes to Parliament instead of a big shopping mall or subway station at rush hour. Celine Dion threatening to sing the national anthem terrorizes us all a lot more...

I am making light of something serious here of course. And something a lot worse may still happen. Those who know me here know I am very much pro-American, pro-occidental. And I am nauseated at those, more than a few, who blame Stephen Harper's decision to participate in the western allies action in the middle-east for these events. This is a clash of civilisations. And we're ALL in it.

yes i was wondering about that attack, did he appologise to everyone during the attack?

"sorry im shooting you"

"i do apologize for this"

"Please forgive my acts of unspeakable evil"

Is it true Canada is laxing its gun laws after that attack? That would be supermega awesome for the rest of the Gun owning world!

Quote Originally Posted by ssfgrgawer View Post

Is it true Canada is laxing its gun laws after that attack? That would be supermega awesome for the rest of the Gun owning world!

I haven't heard about that. And I'd be VERY surprised. Modern Canada, by which I mean the Canada that modernized and emancipated itself from the Mother Country (Great Britain) completely in the sixties, notably by adopting a distinctive flag of it's own, was largely conceived by the moderate left, embodied in the Liberal party with some input from the NDP (New Democratic Party) on the more squarely soci.alist side. That was both good and bad. A lot of the American liberal left often cites Canada as an example when that serves it's purpose, conveniently sidestepping the downside of modern social-democratic mesures, an entrenched bureaucracy and overly powerful unions to name but two...

I've strayed here but that was only to give you an idea of what is still the prevailing ideology, if I can call it that, of Canada to this day, notwithstanding the just about ten years of Stephen Harper's Conservative Party's tenure. Mesures that are associated, rightly or wrongly, in the public mind with the right of the political spectrum, such as lax gun control, are always viewed with suspicion or downright hostility here. We like to call ourselves virtuous in that respect. We're no more virtuous than the next guy.

The ONLY reason Canada went more on the Social-Democratic side of things, with generous social mesures and a philosophy of strong unions tolerated by a willing business community, is that if Canada hadn't done so there would be NO CANADA TODAY. Half the population would have emigrated to the US in the years after world war two, when the United States were reigning supreme politically and economically and offered far better prospects for the middle class. I am not inventing this. It's the plain truth.
    Last edited by Wildor; 10-26-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildor View Post
    The ONLY reason Canada went more on the Social-Democratic side of things, with generous social mesures and a philosophy of strong unions tolerated by a willing business community, is that if Canada hadn't done so there would be NO CANADA TODAY. Half the population would have emigrated to the US in the years after world war two, when the United States were reigning supreme politically and economically and offered far better prospects for the middle class. I am not inventing this. It's the plain truth.
    I actually find that quite interesting.

The reason i ask is i saw a news report here saying that the Canadian Gov't was considering removing the need to register all guns, Since criminals dont register them anyway (who'da thunk criminals break laws right?). Even if its unlikely Id still like to see it happen, Normally every time a shooting happens in the states, the nutters talk of Tightening Australia gun laws again (Most of whom dont even know what Australia current laws ARE), If a country with gun laws as strict as ours does away with the useless aspects of firearms laws, we might even feel shockwaves here, and god forbid, We see them as tools instead of weapons of mass destruction, AKA every school shooting ever (Not that we have had one down under, ever.)

Ok back on topic:
    What kind of music do you listen too?

The periodic waves of Canadian emigration to the US prior to the post war years proved it to Canadian political and establishment leaders. If so many of us went south of the border in the not so great times of the 19th and early 20th century, something had to be done to forestall what would have been virtual absorbing in the times when about 33% of all industrial output in the world was American. A conscious decision was made to make Canada what it is today, although the great social-democratic bent reached it's peak in the Trudeau years (68 to 84) and has lessened somewhat since then.

Okay then... Music you asked?

All kinds. I've evolved into appreciating almost any style or genre. From Beethoven and Mozart to Pink Floyd and the early Genesis (those last two being pretty much the soundtrack of my teens). From Puccini and Verdi and Wagner to James Taylor and Patsy Cline and Paul Simon. I thank providence to have equipped me with a strong sensibility to the arts in general and music in particular. It has colored and enriched my life.

However, I can never confer the title of Musician to the slew of dancing girls that seem to dominate popular music today. Great salespeople all. And don't mistake my meaning. The whole world loves a pretty dancing girl, me first! It has always been that way. The Egyptians loved pretty dancing girls 10 thousand years ago. And that's fine. But they aren't musicians or composers. They're dancing girls. Even if they try to sing, they're primarly dancing girls.

That being said, some of those girls either are or work with great visual artists. I'm convinced that if Raphael or Velasquez lived today, they'd be making music videos. To say nothing of Fellini and Bergman. Lady Gaga often impresses me with the visual artistry of her videos.

Why do you want us to ask you a question anyway?

Would you like to be served at the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by criplockin View Post
    They see me trollin, They hatin...
    One of the original maids that serves the King's bar.