Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 503

Thread: Will Server 200 Be Big?

  1. #321

    Default

    It's crazy looking at the archieve of Age 1 servers discussions, look how many pages it goes back when Evony used to thrive so much and now it's just dead

    There's something special seeing people making threads about medals, gameplay, asking for tips etc basically being a newbie ....ah good times

  2. #322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke92 View Post
    It's crazy looking at the archieve of Age 1 servers discussions, look how many pages it goes back when Evony used to thrive so much and now it's just dead

    There's something special seeing people making threads about medals, gameplay, asking for tips etc basically being a newbie ....ah good times
    With Ucool spending millions on a superbowl ad for The Kings Return, (an ad that made no sense to me, btw), it does look like age 1 is history.

    A promotion started today for existing servers. No announcement or mailing, but there it is if u log in as I did.

    (An announcement has since been made. A good promotion, I reckon.)
    Last edited by tallonkeibler; 02-13-2017 at 08:05 PM.

  3. #323

    Default

    I believe that Evony is not over... many people will comment to the contrary, but I'll provide my reasons below:

    1.) Evony purchased a new website. if they were REALLY done with Age I and it's profitability was approaching 0, then they surely, would've just killed with with the new website. Even though they likely paid not much for their redesign, it still demonstrates that Evony still views Age I/II as a profitable venture.

    2.) davemata explicitly said that 199 is not the last server. While you may easily put off that he is simply lying, that would be bad for business, considering that Evony Age I/II is funded by quite large coiners and many smaller ones. They would not lie to their consumer base if they hoped to attract to them to another game of their's which I would assume they would try to do. Likewise, he very well could be holding back news in order to keep coining high.

    3.) Evony is at this point, extremely low maintenance. They simply have to pay davemata and the other system admins. Let's consider that there's 4 full time employees making 75,000 a year. That's only 300,000 a year for the staffing, and servers are relatively cheap, you could get an entire rack for 100k every year (replace every year) (they likely don't do this.) That's only 400,000 a year to run this game. This is an extremely liberal number, it isn't as expensive as one might expect. I would assume any staff would also be working on Evony's sister games. It's very easy to make even the high amount of maintenance money.

    4.) Likewise, they're clearly making enough at this point to make them more money than the costs of running the game. They wouldn't be running the game at a loss, they are a business, and in the past have been shown to be monetarily oriented. New servers are Evony's biggest money maker, at least 10-15k is coined just on a new server within the first day or so. I don't have the official financial information, but I would wager if these numbers are off, they are on the lower end of possibilities. If the game was LOSING money, they've shutdown the forums and the servers, and if they were losing money, they would open a new server in order to bring in more revenue.

    5.) As I've noticed and many others have noticed, Evony has been slowing bot expansion and other measure to cut the lag down. I think that they're trying to find a way to reduce the lag and number of alts being made. This takes time, and being that they likely don't have much development staff, would take even longer.

    I hope this settles a lot of the issues and expectations that a new server will not open.

    I anticipate that the server will, like usual come after the Valentine's Promotion.

  4. #324

    Default

    [QUOTE=ownagetechgeek;2035244]I believe that Evony is not over... many people will comment to the contrary, but I'll provide my reasons below:

    1.) Evony purchased a new website..........

    You may be right. However 199 is such a disaster and since it hasn't been fixed yet, perhaps age 1 is over. If 200 opened and it was as bad or worse than 199, would you play?

    There is a person or two waiting to play 200 with 1k or more lords, no doubt. This has become a small niche game of programmers rather than gamers.

  5. #325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagetechgeek View Post
    1.) Evony purchased a new website. if they were REALLY done with Age I and it's profitability was approaching 0, then they surely, would've just killed with with the new website. Even though they likely paid not much for their redesign, it still demonstrates that Evony still views Age I/II as a profitable venture.
    They "upgraded" to support the mobile version. Age I and Age II still bring in money somehow so no reason for them to kill it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagetechgeek View Post
    2.) davemata explicitly said that 199 is not the last server. While you may easily put off that he is simply lying, that would be bad for business, considering that Evony Age I/II is funded by quite large coiners and many smaller ones. They would not lie to their consumer base if they hoped to attract to them to another game of their's which I would assume they would try to do. Likewise, he very well could be holding back news in order to keep coining high.
    He can't say that there will be no more new servers. That is what would be bad for business. The fact that there are still people coining shows how much abuse the community is willing to take. I think they are just riding it out until coining doesn't cover overhead for Age I and Age II.

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagetechgeek View Post
    3.) Evony is at this point, extremely low maintenance. They simply have to pay davemata and the other system admins. Let's consider that there's 4 full time employees making 75,000 a year. That's only 300,000 a year for the staffing, and servers are relatively cheap, you could get an entire rack for 100k every year (replace every year) (they likely don't do this.) That's only 400,000 a year to run this game. This is an extremely liberal number, it isn't as expensive as one might expect. I would assume any staff would also be working on Evony's sister games. It's very easy to make even the high amount of maintenance money.
    We can only guess what their overhead is. But I do agree that they are still bringing in more than they are spending.

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagetechgeek View Post
    4.) Likewise, they're clearly making enough at this point to make them more money than the costs of running the game. They wouldn't be running the game at a loss, they are a business, and in the past have been shown to be monetarily oriented. New servers are Evony's biggest money maker, at least 10-15k is coined just on a new server within the first day or so. I don't have the official financial information, but I would wager if these numbers are off, they are on the lower end of possibilities. If the game was LOSING money, they've shutdown the forums and the servers, and if they were losing money, they would open a new server in order to bring in more revenue.
    I'd say that promos are probably their biggest money maker year over year. Yes, a new server is a boost but probably a lot less now with bots doing the work.

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagetechgeek View Post
    5.) As I've noticed and many others have noticed, Evony has been slowing bot expansion and other measure to cut the lag down. I think that they're trying to find a way to reduce the lag and number of alts being made. This takes time, and being that they likely don't have much development staff, would take even longer.
    I haven't played in over a year. Maybe closer to 2 years. What have they done to slow bot expansion? I doubt they are putting any development effort into the game. It makes no sense for them to.

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagetechgeek View Post
    I hope this settles a lot of the issues and expectations that a new server will not open.

    I anticipate that the server will, like usual come after the Valentine's Promotion.
    Pretty much everything you said supports the idea that they are just riding out the game until it's not profitable. Mobile has been their focus for a long time. They aren't trying to get more Age I and Age II players. They aren't actively developing for Age I or Age II. They aren't doing anything to indicate they care about Age I or Age II beyond the money they still get from long time players. They aren't even doing much to keep their existing players.

    Honestly, I don't blame them. It's a legacy platform and there are greener pastures in the mobile space.

  6. #326

    Default

    Good points, NA12.

    I forgot to mention that when Commanders Of Evony died, there was no announcement or obituary.

    The corpse is still there, with people still playing, but there's been nothing added as the "coming soon" additions have remained "coming soon" for many years now.

    Terrible glitches allow die-hards to keep playing and cheating there.

    So age 1 is looking more like COE as time goes by.

  7. #327

    Default

    [QUOTE=tallonkeibler;2035248]
    Quote Originally Posted by ownagetechgeek View Post
    I believe that Evony is not over... many people will comment to the contrary, but I'll provide my reasons below:

    1.) Evony purchased a new website..........

    You may be right. However 199 is such a disaster and since it hasn't been fixed yet, perhaps age 1 is over. If 200 opened and it was as bad or worse than 199, would you play?

    There is a person or two waiting to play 200 with 1k or more lords, no doubt. This has become a small niche game of programmers rather than gamers.

    Definitely, that ties into my other point that they are trying to slow bot expansion. Lately, the bot limits per IP are getting stricter and stricter. Hopefully they can limit bots to something reasonable. I personally would play, but many people wouldn't, but the market of people who matter, big coiners, will continue to play at least for another server. Who this is harming, I don't know, and likely the smaller people who aren't programmers. I hope Evony can lower the counts on new servers, I would assume though we won't see any change on 199 or any other servers. We really need a limit of 1 MAYBE 2-3 per IP.
    Last edited by ownagetechgeek; 02-17-2017 at 12:28 AM.

  8. #328

    Default

    1.) Yep, why wouldn't they launch a server if they are making money, and servers make money no doubt. If they were willing to do the final abuse, as you indicated they may be doing, through davemata keeping news contained, they would definitely start a server and terminate it within time. Evony as is evident from previous activities is not afraid to do a lot.

    2.) That is a possibility, I won't try and hide it. Server 200 is supposed to be huge and many people will be coining, and to my previous point and as emphasized in your conclusion, they are trying to abuse the community in some way. This is because, economically a new server makes sense, the overhead of a new "server" is 300-400 dollars a month maximum (easily a server brings in at least 10k), I know from experience in the server business the costs regarding server equipment. Being those economic factors and the gains to be had, I think Evony has another reason that isn't economic, likely technological in this case, bot management as a cause for the delay.

    3.) No Contest

    4.) While we don't have the economic data and you have just as good of an idea that I have. The economic benefit is still there and is enough in order to make starting a new server economically viable and definitely worth their time and money. If the game is profitable now, surely, they would try and get the final dollars out of people, especially considering server 200 is expected to be really popular.

    5.) I agree with you entirely, that's exactly what Evony is doing, however, many games in their mature phase do that. At this point in time Evony is a mature game that has no need for major game play improvement, there just isn't the popularity with the genre as there was 8 years ago. However, I disagree and think that the game still has at least one more server. I do agree that Evony's days are numbered though and likely 200 is one of the last servers.
    Last edited by ownagetechgeek; 02-17-2017 at 12:26 AM.

  9. #329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tallonkeibler View Post
    Good points, NA12.

    I forgot to mention that when Commanders Of Evony died, there was no announcement or obituary.

    The corpse is still there, with people still playing, but there's been nothing added as the "coming soon" additions have remained "coming soon" for many years now.

    Terrible glitches allow die-hards to keep playing and cheating there.

    So age 1 is looking more like COE as time goes by.

    I'm not saying Evony won't reach this point and I completely agree that at some point in the future, not imminently, Evony will be closed down. However, Evony is still profitable and as I've stated, servers are profitable, people over spend on servers. Evony is mature, there's no market for more development, any new development will not stimulate the market therefore, they have no reason to develop any more.

  10. #330

    Default

    Still no s200? haha
    RETIRED

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •