Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first Punk president.

Hybrid View

Default The first Punk president.

Let me emphasize first that I write this as a Canadian and Quebecois. So to speak, from afar (though admittedly not very far...).

What do I mean by Punk president? I, like many others I presume, had a hard time defining Donald Trump as he doesn't fit in any category I am familiar or had experience with in terms of 'head of state'. Other politicians have been as rogue before, perhaps even more so, but those did not enjoy much success and remained more or less on the fringes.

But observing his behavior both during the campaing and as president elect, I was beginning to form a picture. And I found myself remembering a fairly recent interview Bob Geldoff, he of Band-Aid and Live-Aid fame, gave on British tv on the Thatcher years in the later part of the last century. Now bear in mind that Geldoff at the time was NO fan of Maggie. At all.

But today, in his own words, 'looking back on it, that woman was the ultimate punk' in his opinion. And he means it as a compliment. Why does he say so? Because no person or dogma of the establishment was safe from her. Whether it was the old guard Tories or Labour, big trade unions or the old boys of The City, so-cia-lism and big government, the same old way of dealing with the Irish or the Cold War or NATO... Thatcher just came up to all those with her little handbag and toppled the old pillars of the temple. And changed the direction of British society radically.

Those of us old enough to remember British society in the 70's know, in spite of brilliant artistic achievements, that this was going downhill fast. A society of entitled 'victims' all clamoring for the state to do something for them while at each other's throat. A lot like the US today in fact... Seems to me that is bound to happen whenever the liberal left remains too long in power. Specially if the supposed right is nothing more than a less radical version of the same, which was certainly the case of the 'Me Too' Tories back then.

That is one of the things I never thought I'd see in my life you know. To see the United States become a society of victims. The proverbial land of opportunity, reduced to this... And I don't only blame Barrack Obama for this. The whole intellectual-media-cultural elite is to blame. And the population for accepting such a state of affairs for so long. In short, Americans have only themselves to blame for the current state of their society, as did the British in the 70's.

That is why, I believe, Donald Trump and the Republicans won. I believe Americans sensed a radical change in direction is in order. And found their punk to shake the pillars of the temple. Indeed, I think both the opportunity and the right man converge here. What remains to be seen is whether my historic parallel with Thatcher will be valid in the years to come. For the sake of Americans, whom I like and admire, I certainly hope so.

Edit: Why won't this let me write so-cia-lism?
    Last edited by Wildor; 01-22-2017 at 07:39 PM.

trumps a fktard idiot moron just like 99% of americans. nuff said

hes the greatest white president America has ever had... He will build a wall you know.. and it will be on the base of land so everyone can tunnel under it you know

you mean like the tunnel under the not wall thats their now anyway??? lol

Not you Wildor.
    Dog of War grrrrr

Donald Trump is working on getting server 200 up and running

Cheesits Chrispy!!
    Last edited by King Alboin; 02-10-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Quia sicut voluit.
    Dog of War grrrrr

Building a religion... a limited edition...

So Alboin, let me get this straight, since 90% of that post was a prattling ramble.

Have I been paying attention to our world? Yes. And I can confidently say that we are in more danger from right wing extremist groups in America than outside terrorists. More people have been assualted and/or murdered by anti-abortion fanatics, than by the lunatics waging "jihad". I'm sorry I'm not afraid of foreigners.

Why does everyone love to bring up George Soros as some kind of "liberal puppetmaster" and then somehow group him with the Rockefellers and Rothschilds, while at the same time ignoring the Kochs and Waldons? Yet we're the ones who know absolutely nothing?

And what civilization that honors truth? We now have an Education Secretary that doesn't believe in public schools. We have a Press Secretary talking about "alternative facts" and a spokesperson/counselor going on national TV spouting nonsense about a massacre in Bowling Green that never happened. We have an immigration ban on 7 countries who's citizens have never been involved in terrorist attacks on the US, whilst countries that had people who were involved from that region (looking at Saudi Arabia here) are not banned, with the only connection being that Trump has business ties in those countries. We have an EPA head who doesn't believe in climate change. Our Secretary of State was the CEO of Exxon Mobil, and is in bed with Russia. Our future (most likely) Attorney General is a known racist, and the Chief Strategist and Counsel to the President (Steven Bannon) is about as close to a Nazi as one can get without wearing a swastika. So don't come here and claim the moral high ground calling everyone else idiots for not running scared about so-called extremists. You have a better chance of being shot by a stray bullet than dying in a terror attack in the US.

All around me are familiar faces
    worn out places, worn out faces
    Bright and early for the daily races
    Going nowhere, going nowhere
    Current Sig Song

Quote Originally Posted by Revoltion
    Acer is the Varys of Evony.

Quote Originally Posted by acer5200 View Post
    So Alboin, let me get this straight, since 90% of that post was a prattling ramble.

Have I been paying attention to our world? Yes. And I can confidently say that we are in more danger from right wing extremist groups in America than outside terrorists. More people have been assualted and/or murdered by anti-abortion fanatics, than by the lunatics waging "jihad". I'm sorry I'm not afraid of foreigners.

Why does everyone love to bring up George Soros as some kind of "liberal puppetmaster" and then somehow group him with the Rockefellers and Rothschilds, while at the same time ignoring the Kochs and Waldons? Yet we're the ones who know absolutely nothing?

And what civilization that honors truth? We now have an Education Secretary that doesn't believe in public schools. We have a Press Secretary talking about "alternative facts" and a spokesperson/counselor going on national TV spouting nonsense about a massacre in Bowling Green that never happened. We have an immigration ban on 7 countries who's citizens have never been involved in terrorist attacks on the US, whilst countries that had people who were involved from that region (looking at Saudi Arabia here) are not banned, with the only connection being that Trump has business ties in those countries. We have an EPA head who doesn't believe in climate change. Our Secretary of State was the CEO of Exxon Mobil, and is in bed with Russia. Our future (most likely) Attorney General is a known racist, and the Chief Strategist and Counsel to the President (Steven Bannon) is about as close to a Nazi as one can get without wearing a swastika. So don't come here and claim the moral high ground calling everyone else idiots for not running scared about so-called extremists. You have a better chance of being shot by a stray bullet than dying in a terror attack in the US.
    Surefire that is the smartest thing i'v ever seen you say.

oh and i'm pretty sure George Soro's has invested more money into trump than he was ever going to put into clinton! just saying