Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions and Feedback for Evony

Default Suggestions and Feedback for Evony

I have noticed that the Evony forums have become rather vitriolic and not conducive towards a friendly, fun environment. Therefore, I have taken time out of my day, to encourage Evony to take a look at the moderation processes, as well as the rules which are ambiguous.

Suggestion 1

I highly recommend that feedback and suggestions threads are not closed. Particularly if the person making the suggestion or feedback is endeavoring to be sincere and genuinely feels as though there is a problem. Otherwise, what's the point of asking for the user feedback in the first place? Closing such a thread says: "We don't care".

Suggestion 2

As for other threads, throughout the forum. Evony members take time out of their day to participate in the community. By participating, they are helping to make Evony more popular, and they should be respected for taking the time to register and post. It is my educated and experienced opinion that closing threads, for any reason -- apart from blatantly and purposefully breaking the rules, should absolutely not happen.

Here is my reasoning. When people are tired of a thread, they will stop posting in it. Threads tend to get "old" rather quickly all by themselves. All people should be allowed to have their say, whether "particular" mods believe (in their personal opinion) that the thread is useful or not. To save drama, simply don't close the thread, and let the thread take its own course.

By running a forum in this manner, forum disturbances are kept to a bare minimum. Sure, people will agree and people will disagree. However, at the end of the day, as long as a thread is available for people to continue offering their opinions, there's no reason for them to become upset or to begin trying to vent their frustration by other means.

Suggestion 3

Evony moderators should not be petty about Evony rules. It is not difficult to look at any one of Evony rules, find a slight (within a members actions) and then send that member a warning or infraction. In my experience at Evony forums, most of the infractions people receive are for "Disrespecting moderators" (translated as: "Disagreeing with moderators"), or "Breaking the rules" (which could very possibly be a moderator finding an ambiguity in the rule, to justify a vendetta against a member that "complained too much").

When members receive infractions, warnings and bans over trivial things, it does not solve any problems. 100% of the time, it will cause the member to come back "really grumpy" and that member will be that much more likely to react, the next time they receive another infraction or warning.

In the end, what happens is that it becomes a war between members trying to explain that they feel hard done by Vs. moderators trying to drum it into the members head that "they are the authority" and that the member "must comply". I have these exact words used in warnings, within my own PM's, from moderators.

Suggestion 4

It should go without saying that members who play games like Evony will create clan sites. It is not conducive for "good relations" between Evony and paying members if moderators suspend a member for linking to a clan site, because: "They didn't ask".

There are hundreds of thousands of game based fan and clan sites all over the Internet. It is highly abnormal for a member to be banned for building a website, which at the end of the day -- supports the game that they've made the website about.

And yes, I do realize that my particular website now has a whole heap of posts and information about Evony mods and problems, but the site was not like that in the first place. It only became like that in the last couple of days. At first, it was just a site where I posted comical posts and tutorials about Evony. It wasn't until I was incessantly banned, warned and infracted that I thought: "Well, I need to voice my opinion somewhere. I don't have access at Evony".

Suggestion 5

Moderators really need to take a chill pill in general. There are far too many instances of moderators moderating via their own personal preferences, views and opinions -- rather than just moderating according to common sense according to the rules.

Moderators should not pick and choose

During my time at Evony, particularly at the start, I didn't mind being the forum idiot. I did this purposefully, just for laughs. The threads were entertaining and not once did I offend, abuse or threaten anyone. I created myself a bit of a reputation, where if "Blegemoth" makes a post -- people are 100% guaranteed going to get on my back. But I wouldn't have made such posts unless I expected the responses. So I can say that not once was I ever truly offended by anyone's comments or remarks.

However, when I started having "real" problems that were not a "joke" with Evony moderators who gave me infractions, warnings, bans, closed threads and edited threads (mainly for the reasons of: "Just because they could"), and when I started showing "real" disdain for the behavior, I found myself in a sticky place.

The moderators found themselves someone easy to bully, who they knew would not receive any support. So they purposefully left threads open where other people were making fun of me (which I don't mind so much) -- but they were closing the threads that I created concerning "real" forum problems against the moderators.

So what the moderators actually did was play on the forum sentiment to have me become a laughing stock, to justify why they should close my threads, ban me and have me made a mockery of. Now this is all well and good - except that the moderators should not participate in such victimization. It's not the "posts" I am upset with. Ordinarily, I'd be posting in them purposefully causing people to have someone to laugh at. It's the sentiment (and reasoning) behind the moderators actions that I have a problem with. They should be more professional.
    Last edited by Blegemoth; 07-22-2009 at 04:19 PM.

First of all, let me assure you. I am NOT biased against you in anyway. i dont hate you, your threads or posts. i am not victimising you or any other member of these forums.
    And i am sure none of the other mods are either.
    We volunteer to moderate these forums. I've been a member of these forums for rather a long time now, i know alot of the members, i make regular posts, im no different to any other member of these forums apart from the big shiny moderator badge.
    we try our best to keep law and order by the rules we are given.

In response to suggestion 4:
    you werent suspended for just having the link in your signature. you were suspended for a number of reasons.
    These were in a message sent to you along with the suspension.
    The rules on thirdy party sites are currently - Links/advertising isnt allowed until further notice from evony admin.
    i shall keep you posted and as soon as i know that your allowed, you will no doubt know to.

EDIT: P.S,
    Suggestions taken on board
    Last edited by Bickyz; 07-22-2009 at 04:50 PM.
    http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...anhammerx2.jpg
    ^Thoughts on new sig? msg me. ^
    Moderating your bad posts since 13/7/09
    Mods have feelings too ya know?
    I MoD in Orange
    RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Bickyz View Post
    First of all, let me assure you. I am NOT biased against you in anyway. i dont hate you, your threads or posts. i am not victimising you or any other member of these forums.
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

And i am sure none of the other mods are either.
    Unfortunately, I do not agree.

We volunteer to moderate these forums. I've been a member of these forums for rather a long time now, i know alot of the members, i make regular posts, im no different to any other member of these forums apart from the big shiny moderator badge.
    Ok..

we try our best to keep law and order by the rules we are given.
    Yes, some mods do - I am quite sure. But not all. Otherwise, I would not have found it necessary to offer the above suggestions.

In response to suggestion 4:
    you werent suspended for just having the link in your signature. you were suspended for a number of reasons.
    According the the ban reason, provide with the ban, the reason was:

"Disrespect of moderators, defying evony rules."

I did neither. However, I would like to hear what the other reasons you speak of are, as soon as you have the time.

These were in a message sent to you along with the suspension.
    Yes they were. They were unfair, wrong and petty. I didn't register on this forum to be kicked all over the place for trivial reasons by moderators, to receive infractions, warnings, exclamations of authority or bans. I'm not paying for that.

The rules on thirdy party sites are currently - Links/advertising isnt
    allowed until further notice from evony admin.
    Yes, I know. However, you should take into account my suggestions. It is petty for Evony to ban someone for linking to an Evony related website. It is petty to warn someone for linking to a clan site. That is my point. Do you have anything to say about that?

i shall keep you posted and as soon as i know that your allowed, you will no doubt know to.
    That's kind of you.
    Last edited by Blegemoth; 07-22-2009 at 04:57 PM.

in response to reasons for the ban ill PM them to you since i think it to be more appropriate than public posting of them.

if you choose to post them after ive PM'd them to you, by all means do so.

oh and the wording of the message with the suspension, i admit the language i used didnt explain it fully.
    I MoD in Orange
    RULES

I don't really want to have a debate about why I was or wasn't banned. I was banned multiple times, harassed in PM, given warnings, you name it -- for trivial reasons. The "signature" ban isn't just what I am upset about. I could remove that from my complaint entirely and still have much more to be upset about. The signature ban was just the one that made me think: "Look! I am SICK of this!".. it was the straw that broke the camels back.

This thread is NOT a complain about "one" particular ban (the last ban). The thread is about exactly what I posted. Read the entire thread and look at all of my suggestions. There is a "larger" problem here. There are many problems -- a whole heap of problems. They're all outlined above. I'd appreciate it if you didn't make this thread look as if I'm just whining about being banned. The thread was not created as a complain against my last ban. That's just a part of the equation.

All I want is for some acknowledgment from Evony administration that the forum is not being run correctly, and for my suggestions above to come into effect.

I sent emails to Evony administration and I was blown off.

I sincerely believe that the suggestions I have posted above would do nothing but improve the experience of posting on these forums by paying members.
    Last edited by Blegemoth; 07-22-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Cool

We volunteer to moderate these forums.
    Where does one volunteer anyway?

So what will you do when they call your name and you're not ready to go?
    Everyone will stare at you and tell you what you know
    That you're in too deep and you can't quite keep your secrets, one and all
    We might just make it after all, on our own

Quote Originally Posted by rasterbee View Post
    That's a cleverly stupid response, trogdor.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdor1316 View Post
    Where does one volunteer anyway?
    You volunteer by submitting your application.

EDIT: im not turning this thread into a convo about your ban, as i said i PM'd you in more detail.

as i said previously, ive taken your comments onboard.
    i will get round to posting about each of your suggestions at some point.
    Last edited by Bickyz; 07-22-2009 at 05:27 PM.
    I MoD in Orange
    RULES

Cool

I know. I'm asking WHERE.

So what will you do when they call your name and you're not ready to go?
    Everyone will stare at you and tell you what you know
    That you're in too deep and you can't quite keep your secrets, one and all
    We might just make it after all, on our own

Quote Originally Posted by rasterbee View Post
    That's a cleverly stupid response, trogdor.

Hey clown. Go make your own thread about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdor1316 View Post
    I know. I'm asking WHERE.
    Applications are closed.