Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lumber - The ultimate resource

Default Lumber - The ultimate resource

I was playing around with an idea of having a city that consists of mostly lumber mines. The reason being that lumber sells for much more than iron or stone, and a hell of alot more than food.

Heres what i had in mind;

50% of total mines are lumber, 25% food and 12.5% stone and iron.

This would make your city produce 4 times the amount of lumber than either iron or stone and twice as much as food.

The reason is more money income due to selling big amounts of lumber. Fair enough you have to buy iron and stone and most likely food too but youll still most likely make money even after that.

The only downside is the capacity of resources your city can hold for you. Mines hold a certain amount of resources for you along with warehouses and i am unsure yet as to how many warehouses you would need to be able to hold the maximum amount of resources needed for the most expensive building, which i belive are level 10 walls but i may be wrong.

Like i say ive just really thought this up a few days ago and thought i should put it in writing for critique.

Feedback would be nice.

Thanks,

Zoe.

You are indeed right, Lumber is deffinatly needed more than anything same, You also do need a large income of food.

But do you think it would work? The percentages can be changed slighty as theyre definatly not perfect. Boost the food to say 30% - 35%?

I think u dont need to change anything, just get some high level lakes to increase the food income.

erm I don't thinks its your warehouses that store all your lumber, they only protect acertain ammount frmo being plundered, but when you upgrade any resource, you expand the maximum amount you can have (I needed to seriously upgrade my quarrys just so I co0uld have the stone needed available)
    hope this helps

I think you should go with 100% lumber. That way you don't have to research the technologies for iron, food, or stone. Also, you can focus on forest valleys. With a high politics castellan and all the bonuses for the lumbering technology and the forest valleys your lumber production would be very high. You could get everything else you need by buying it at the market.

You would also need to research stockpiling and upgrade the warehouses to level 10.

So, assuming you could end up with this set up:
    Stockpiling researched to maximum level
    Lumbering researched to maximum level
    Sawmills upgraded to level 9
    High politics castellan
    Warehouses upgraded to level 10

You would be a lumber making machine.

The only question now is will you be flooding the market with so much lumber that you will drive prices down.

I think I'll set up my next city this way and see what happens.

the biggest issue I see with it is... its no secret.

so a few things could happen... everyone ends up doing this, wood floods the market, and prices plummet. meanwhile, forest valleys are bloodbaths.

and then after all that... the game devs reweight the costs of things and shift it from the current wood heavy system.

its all based on assumptions of course. but if you dont buy into this, then there is no question that wood is king. and to a similair extent, gold is king... primary goal should be to max out population for the gold, as it can be anything you need it to be. and is worth more than anything else. you cant increase it with valleys and stuff though.

And... when pumping up troops, iron is king.
    don't underestimate the power of iron as people start progressing....
    Dorsai Alliance
    http://dorsai.guildportal.com

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. ~Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Burtage View Post
    I was playing around with an idea of having a city that consists of mostly lumber mines. The reason being that lumber sells for much more than iron or stone, and a hell of alot more than food.

Heres what i had in mind;

50% of total mines are lumber, 25% food and 12.5% stone and iron.

This would make your city produce 4 times the amount of lumber than either iron or stone and twice as much as food.

The reason is more money income due to selling big amounts of lumber. Fair enough you have to buy iron and stone and most likely food too but youll still most likely make money even after that.

The only downside is the capacity of resources your city can hold for you. Mines hold a certain amount of resources for you along with warehouses and i am unsure yet as to how many warehouses you would need to be able to hold the maximum amount of resources needed for the most expensive building, which i belive are level 10 walls but i may be wrong.

Like i say ive just really thought this up a few days ago and thought i should put it in writing for critique.

Feedback would be nice.

Thanks,

Zoe.
    Stupidest guide YET, you my friend are an idiot

Yeah, but you have to take other players into perspective. If other people know your making huge amounts of lumber, you will get attacked for sure. In the end, if you make huge amounts of food and units, you will get much more lumber by pillaging other players as opposed to producing it yourself.
    Don't mind me, I'm just a few slices short of a whole cake, and a few cards full of a short deck.