Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defending / Gates

Default Defending / Gates

Hey, I'm just about to come out of beginner protection and i need some clarification about defending your city.

I've started building up my army of swordsmen and archers (roughly 1:1 ratio) and have level 5 walls, and will start increasing my number of archer towers, since i hear they're good...

But I'm not sure if this is the best defense strategy, and I'm also confused as to what opening and closing the gate does.

My friend said he got nailed twice by some guy, and his troops didn't even try to fend them off, perhaps because the gates were closed?

So I guess I'm asking for a tutorial on gates, and also if what I'm doing is a good defensive strategy.

Most people use warriors because they are fast and cheap to make. Swordsman are more expensive and can be time consumming when you start taking major losses. If you have your gates open than your soldiers will leave your city to defend it. They will be calculated in the battle and can be killed. Otherwise if your gates are closed than your soldiers stand aside and watch the enemy raid your town (If they can get past your fortifications). Also having the gate opens will allow your scouts to engage enemy scouts when you are scouted.
    If I helped, add to my rep please.

Opening your gates lets your troops out to fight when you get attacked. Whether or not you open or close them depends on what you're being attacked with. No sense in losing your army if you're going to lose the battle. Also, I'd cut back on the swords and focus on archers.

Alright, gates open means your army will fight the opposing army while gates closed means your army will sit in the city and let the defenses fight. You want your gates closed unless you have a very large army and can fend off a large amount of attacks (100k archers or so with at least 10k towers)

Now defenses, you have a couple choices.
    My method, and the one I prefer.
    1 trap
    499 abati
    All towers

Another method that's similar.
    1k Traps
    500 abati
    All towers

Another method I don't suggest but is used by some.
    1k traps
    500 abati
    1k logs and treb's
    All Towers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First Towers are the defense you always want to have. The more the better, although some people like having treb's and logs which someone can just warriors spam off of you. So imo they're worthless I'm just throwing out there because it's a commonly used method regardless of how bad I think it is. Also your archery level and walls affect your range of your towers. Think of each level of wall as one extra level of Archery. So essentially you an have level 20 archery
    Last edited by JPA32; 08-06-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added Archery and wall bonus

One more thing, JPA: with the Archer Towers, it's best to get your walls as high as possible. The AT's shoot further with each level of wall. Thus, AT's on a level six wall shoot farther than AT's on a level five wall.

Yeah, I know you knew that, but we're helping the newbies here, right?
    MTL
    servers 6 and 21

Okay, okay; I'll take rep points if you like my answer. If you laugh at my answer, though, I demand them!

Quote Originally Posted by MTL View Post
    One more thing, JPA: with the Archer Towers, it's best to get your walls as high as possible. The AT's shoot further with each level of wall. Thus, AT's on a level six wall shoot farther than AT's on a level five wall.

Yeah, I know you knew that, but we're helping the newbies here, right?
    Of course, thank you I'll add that and also a couple other things I may have forgotten to mention.

hmmm alright thanks everyone. My main goal here is just to not get attacked for a while while I'm still learning the game. It sounds like just focusing on walls/archers is the best strategy.

What if my opponent brings seige though? It doesnt seem like the AT's will be successful against seige weapons

Quote Originally Posted by SpyPirates View Post
    hmmm alright thanks everyone. My main goal here is just to not get attacked for a while while I'm still learning the game. It sounds like just focusing on walls/archers is the best strategy.

What if my opponent brings seige though? It doesnt seem like the AT's will be successful against seige weapons
    Well You need double the ballistae to take on AT's.
    So that would be 20k ballistae if you have 10k AT's. Add a bunch of archers defending and he's going to need a lot more then 20k ballistae to take the towers and archers and whatever other troops you have. Most people use archers when they attack though so don't worry.

Default gates

so exactly how do you open/close gates ???

Quote Originally Posted by phillip of fyvie View Post
    so exactly how do you open/close gates ???
    Go to your Rally point and a little check box will say "Open Gate to fight" Check it if you want them open.