Opponent Online/Offline Test:
You can combine the above maneuvers to see if the person is online / offline during a given period by doing a test:
- If the gates are open. Send a 100k scout bomb at the target. Then send a 1 scout , scout mission to land at the same time. Pull your 100k scout bomb at the last second. If you see a toggle in gate, you know the guy is online.
- If the gates are closed. Do the opposite, send a 100k archer attack to the target, and send a 1 scout mission (or attack for method). To land at the last second. See what happens. Does he open the gate at the last second?
- Special note here: that if you use attack method (as opposed to the scout method), you need to be aware that most high end players have friends playing their account in the same alliance. So these guys will scan war reports while they are on their main account.. and if they see your "test" attack land, they will go and logon to their friends account.
- Always pull your troops last second to avoid unintentional losses. Remember this is just a test to see if he is online. If he knows you are doing a test, he might counter it by faking... but he takes a chance either way, because maybe you are not testing and let it land.
- Depending on how paranoid you feel you can test once/twice/three times... before you make your real move.
Pincher (ATs up, online):
- The situation here is: the defender has 18k archer towers, and lots (even 900k) archers on defense, you have 3 million scouts you are ready to unload, but he is online and flipping gate open/close status
If he is offline things are easy:
- gate closed - send 100k archers to remove ATs, then go to town to drop loyalty to 5, then bomb.
- gate open - just straight up scout bomb it.
The hard part here is if he's online trying to prevent the scout bomb. (open gate when scouts are about to hit, close gate when archer has to hit.
This requires a pincher maneuver.
Here is the tactic:
- Send either a 100k archer/100k calv wave. Let say that lands in 6 mins.
- Over then next minute send a 100k scout wave, to land at exactly the same time your archers land, to the second. Using camp time.
- Next minute, send another 100k scout attack wave, using camp time.
- Repeat, as much as you are willing to risk with scouts.
You now force the defending player to choose:
- open the gate - and suffer archer losses, due to the scout waves
- close the gate - and get his ATs destroyed. (Losing your ATs is extremely hurtful, tacitcally in the long run)
- You must time this to land on the same second. To the point where the guy's click of open/close is not granular enough to differentiate the multiple attacks.
There is also a way you can optimize your losses, and recall the correct attack(s) at the last second.
Optimization Option 1) use your scouts gate detection.
This method requries the enemy to have a scout advantage, and also to not know about sending away his scouts to prevent this tactic)
- The idea here is to send a 1 scout, scout mission, 1 second before your attacks land.
- If you know he has scouts in his base. Your scout mission will return if the gates are closed, and the scout mission will die , if the gates are open.
- You have no time to click the report, and read the report.. what you will need to do within that 1 second is:
- OPEN your feasting hall menu. Assuming here you know which hero is on what attack.
- Watch the lower left corner of the screen for the RED/BLUE bar.
- If the red bar dissapears, your scout mission failed, and he died (gates open)
- If the red bar turns to blue, your scout mission succeed, and the gates are closed.
- You use this feedback and watch at the last second, to pull whichever attack you want. This will prevent your troops from dying unncessarily
Optimization Option 2)
- Take a gamble, it's like rolling a dice: 50/50. Try to predict which way the guy will go. And pull the attack you think he won't avoid. (This may not be that worthwhile). If you know your player, it may work.
Calv Attrition: (ATs down):
- Once ATs are down, the defender is at a huge tactical disadvantage.
- Your scout bombs, even if he closes the gates, will not all die, they'll just return... (remember you still need to worry about losing your heroes).
- At this point, the defender will probably leave his gates *closed* by default, and only open them on real attacks (100k archer/calvs).
- What I usually do here is to use attrition and send 100k calv waves to slowly "catch him" on a closed gate to loot his resources.
- This requires careful online, gate open/close detection. To protect your calv for running into an open gate.
- Running into an open gate with calv isn't completely disastrous, depending on defensive configurations, you'll take something out.. (but its usually not worth it.)
- The best bet is to loot them by detecting their gate status, and only let your attacks land when you detect the gate is closed.
Calv tactical superiority
- Sending in calv is best because : they are fast (sneak in 1 minute attacks to catch them off guard), and they can loot 20m resources, and even if they hit an open gate they have a chance to damage the enemy due to their speed. Always good to have 100k calv lying around to do this.
Dealing with Heavy Meat defense - priority targetting:
- Eventually everyone will understand priority targetting, and they will arm their defenses with something like 300k swords, and 280k archers. Scout bombs will trade 100k scouts for maybe 4k swords.. which will make it extremely expensive to attack the enemy. (vs 100k scouts , and 20k archers)
- In this case you need to be willing to trader archers for killing swords/pikemen. If battle range starts at 5000 (if abistis are up), you will have around 4 rounds of opportunity for archers to hit their pike/swords, before your archers are annihilated. But you must also send rainbow layers. The best defense for this ironically would not be 18k ATs, but a combination of rolling logs , etc to take out layers.
- In this case you will need to send archers FIRST, to clear some swords/pikemen, before you can start scout bombing. This adds a new layer of complexity, and the defender can always send his swords away on a reinforce mission at the last second. So you'll have to combine this with surprise or pinchers using archer/scouts.
Win by Attrition:
- This is more of a strategic realization, but one must sometimes realize that it may sometimes just not be possible to win by doing one massive 4 hr sitting. Because the defender comes online and does everything to counter, everything you do.
- In these cases, the best bet is slowly attack them with repeated feint/pincher maneuvers over a several days period. Send attacks at random times, some at noon, some in the middle of the night. There is no way that he can be online to catch them all.
- refer to "marking the target", helps a lot with this. There's no way that he's looking at the reports screen every second.
Know your opponent:
- Finally, in true Sun Tzu style: know your opponent, research him, figure out how he plays and more importantly: WHEN he plays.
- Find out what timezone he plays in , and when he sleeps.
- One thing I've used: for the frequent forum posters, is to search through his forum posts on evony forums (just go "search by poster") to figure out his play times. I've successfully used this to estimate when one opponent of mine, at his weakest time availability, and caught him offline sleeping in.
Assuming you have overwhelming resource advantage, or allies. You will eventually win against your toughest defender, with patience. No one is invincible. Have fun with the game everyone