Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: End game...

Hybrid View

Default End game...

Just want to talk about end game.. when everyone, or most everyone has everything researched, and have Super Massive Armies.

Eventually from there on, things get boring.. as the 'depth' of the game actually decreases when you don't need to consider which research to do first, or Higher Wall or More Barracks first..

I want to propose something here..
    something like a one-way tech, if you choose one, you cannot advance in the other for the end game.

This begins when :
    your own 10 cities.
    prestige over 1mm.

Then from there on, Three new researches are now researchable, you can tech up to level 10, but you can only research on these advance research 10 times...

so while there are 10 levels for 3 advance researches..
    you can be: a Level 10 in one.
    or, A level 3 in 2 of them, and a Level4 in the other (3+3+4 = 10)

The three researches you can go into are:

1, Advance Fortressing
    Allows 10% more wall defense and 5% lower cost per upgrade.

2, Advance Offensive Battlions
    Allows 5% more damage from high level units, Swords/Catapult/Cataphracts.

3, Advance Production capabilities
    Allows production of all units to go down by 3% per upgrade.

Now,.. why this?

This way, each end game play will be Unique. And players can't get 'everything', and have to make choices, and wonder what life will be if they made another choice.. etc.

Will probably boost player retention too.
    Last edited by Lord Arumen; 11-21-2009 at 08:17 AM.

It would also give some variation so that everyone did not end up as carbo copies of eachother... lurking around and waiting for their nieghbors to log off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
    Just want to talk about end game.. when everyone, or most everyone has everything researched, and have Super Massive Armies.

Eventually from there on, things get boring.. as the 'depth' of the game actually decreases when you don't need to consider which research to do first, or Higher Wall or More Barracks first..

I want to propose something here..
    something like a one-way tech, if you choose one, you cannot advance in the other for the end game.

This begins when :
    your own 10 cities.
    prestige over 1mm.

Then from there on, Three new researches are now researchable, you can tech up to level 10, but you can only research on these advance research 10 times...

so while there are 10 levels for 3 advance researches..
    you can be: a Level 10 in one.
    or, A level 3 in 2 of them, and a Level4 in the other (3+3+4 = 10)

The three researches you can go into are:

1, Advance Fortressing
    Allows 10% more wall defense and 5% lower cost per upgrade.

2, Advance Offensive Battlions
    Allows 5% more damage from high level units, Swords/Catapult/Cataphracts.

3, Advance Production capabilities
    Allows production of all units to go down by 3% per upgrade.

Now,.. why this?

This way, each end game play will be Unique. And players can't get 'everything', and have to make choices, and wonder what life will be if they made another choice.. etc.

Will probably boost player retention too.
    Ok, I've now upgraded the advanced Techs, what do I do now, different then what I already did? Massive NPC farming to keep my troops happy?

Quote Originally Posted by EduLeics I View Post
    Ok, I've now upgraded the advanced Techs, what do I do now, different then what I already did? Massive NPC farming to keep my troops happy?
    Exactly this.

A true endgame involves things to do perpetually, though not simple repetition, which offers some reward. Right now, our barb farming is simple repetition and it only allows you to maintain your army.

It's not a bad idea really, but perhaps instead of going in the direction of 3 different researches maybe go along the lines of 5 different paths that lead to certain researches the others don't?

as in if u choose to go barbaric - u can get researches of heavier strong arms

as apposed to goin another like roman - extra reasearches in range

just examples, and alot more could go in, but yeh instead of just advancing 3 different ways in 3 different researches, have 5 different paths that have a few researches that the others dont. (balance might be an issue, something to go more in depth with)

just seems better then every1 hitting 10, every1 having the same things, basically not even skill winning, more of a time, bigger force and communication between alliance balance at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by danwithabeer View Post
    It's not a bad idea really, but perhaps instead of going in the direction of 3 different researches maybe go along the lines of 5 different paths that lead to certain researches the others don't?

just examples, and alot more could go in, but yeh instead of just advancing 3 different ways in 3 different researches, have 5 different paths that have a few researches that the others dont. (balance might be an issue, something to go more in depth with)

just seems better then every1 hitting 10, every1 having the same things, basically not even skill winning, more of a time, bigger force and communication between alliance balance at the moment.
    This kind of thinking reminds me of the talent trees you see in many RPG's. They work in other games because different classes have different roles and different ways to fulfill them. In Evony, we have only one role - smash each other's faces in with armies. With our broken combat mechanics, that boils down to smashing each others faces in with arrows. With what's proposed here, whatever tree is best at smashing each other's faces in with arrows is the tree everyone will inevitably take, and there's only the illusion of choice left (because there is a best choice, and not taking it essentially cripples you).

They need this near the begging of the game, have each branch have a different set of units after a certain barrakc level, makes unit blance each other. and the tech would put a person priorties in question by choosing waht they would want to research.

Default ya

Quote Originally Posted by danwithabeer View Post

ya i like that idea even better. but no to the thing where it costs less to make troops. if your into the End Game chances are your not in need of any discounts except in food

Pretty good suggestion there.

I do think as Myle wrote above, is that everyone at end game are carbon copies of each other. If as you research, you slowly choose a different path that leads to other research in cost of others... you will have players with very different armies at end game, which will lead to much more interesting outcomes!!

For example,

- I research Iron Plating lvl 6, but then cause it, a new research comes as 'Heavy Armor Protection'.

- I research Military Tradition lvl 6, but then cause it, a new research comes as 'Advance Melee Culture'.

---------- but the two research are exclusive of each other, which ever comes first, then the other doesn't. -----------------

- If I research into Heavy Armor Protection lvl 6, then I get two choices again. Either I can go into 'Advance Heavy Unit' or 'Advance Fortifications'.. yadda yadda (can't think)

but the idea is... as you research along.. what you pick, is what you become, you get some, you lose some, and everyone will be slightly different cause of it, and can brag a bit more about the individuality in the game.

not sure there is much poing to advanced fortriceing. With lvl 10 walls and 600k archers like many have behind their walls it is impossable to take. I sugjest makeing catapults cost less food to maintain so a reasonable amount can be maintained. maybe make it cost more to build to make up for it. There also needs to be somthing done to maybe make food spoil so you have to much so you cannot maintain a billion food and huge cheese armys. with a vunerable but powerful force it will add a more straticic element and keep it intresting then just repetitive NPC farming and being untouchable